PDA

View Full Version : Do you share your culture?

bucknaway
November 28th, 2008, 02:18
One thing I loved about making friends from different cultures was them sharing a part of their culture with me, be it through an event, food, music, dance or a form of gift giving. I LOVED it. I could not get enough of it! It was years later that I realized that I didn't return the favor. Sure I would give Birthday/Christmas gifts but that was no big deal.

When I was in Thailand, most of the Thai who had a special like for people of the West tended to want to eat/drink and experience all things Western but I wanted to experience all things Thai. and I remembered this when I was in a relationship with a guy from Bali who moved here. He still shared his tradition with me and I shared my Tradition with him. 4th of July Family BBQ's always seem to make him laugh and smile. I also think that he looked at our spread of food much like I would look at a Thai spread of food hoping to select the right things to sample and wishing someone would help me put together a plate combo. I was only to happy to prepare his BBQ Hamburger & Hot Dog, potato salad, baked beans and steamed corn on the cob.

I warned him not to eat it all as there was more food coming that I wanted him to try. I can still vividly remember the smile and joy on his face as he ate. It did not hurt that he was the most popular person at the BBQ.

new Years eve was 1 of two things. Either you spend it with family or you went out to YELL in the new year! I choose to have him spend time with my family so that he could experience other foods and tradition. black eyed peas were a bit perplexing to him... But we have one tradition where we remember humorous events with a friend or family at the party and share it with those there, all in good cheer. He seem to truly enjoy humorous events about me and even contributed his own!

I loved sharing breakfast items with him. When I first shared "Scrapple" with him and refused to tell him what it was made of, he looked it over as if there was a bug hidden in it! LOL But he ate it and enjoyed it, even after I told him what it was made of! He enjoyed liverwurst and had a real taste for Hominy Grits with melted butter. I loved tending to him much the way he did for me. I would get his bowl of grits, add butter, salt and pepper and then present it to him. One spoonful and he smiled and said "Good". On Labor Day we bought a bushel of Crabs and steamed them in Old Bay spice. He looked perplexed until I showed him how to open a Blue Crab and get at all the sweet spicy meat. He loved that so much and spoke about it so often I showed him a grocery store near his home that sold all forms of crab and would steam them free for him and for a while when I talked to him on the phone and asked what he ate for dinner, he would laugh and say "Crab". LOL

If I lived in Thailand and it was Thanksgiving, I would want to bake my own turkey & Ham, cook my own sides and encourage others to bring a dish of their best offering (Thai & Farang alike), and hope to enjoy a cozy sharing of friendships and cultures. Isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about? Here in the USA you would be hard pressed to find an open restaurant on this day.

So for now on, when it comes to cultures, I am not just a taker, I share.

Brad the Impala
November 28th, 2008, 03:07
Sounds like your culture is food!

bucknaway
November 28th, 2008, 03:22
For the most part, that is the only difference in some cultures.... The food and drink. The other stuff we take for granted, such as how we interact. It is common and normal for us to tease, joke and praise one another at family events. That may be a wonder for him but it is nothing special to me.

At Christmas the tree went up and gifts were put under the tree. Very normal for me but on Christmas day he was very surprised to receive so many gifts from me to him. He thought you only give one gift per person. Not in my family... We flood you with gifts!

Him. If I ever would say, "Hold on, I am looking for something" He would say, "You don't have to look anymore baby. I'm right here!" He got me with that so many times!

But the things I remember most of the things that truly made him smile and that tended to center around food and family.

Aunty
November 28th, 2008, 06:45
I loved sharing breakfast items with him.

Why darling that's just marvellous! Absolutely fantastic. Did he get a bite of your sausage?

November 28th, 2008, 22:50
I was only to happy to prepare his BBQ Hamburger & Hot Dog, potato salad, baked beans and steamed corn on the cob.

What?!! No fried chicken and watermelon? So much for sharing your culture with others!!!

bucknaway
November 28th, 2008, 22:56
Oh you better believe there was fried chicken and watermelon! During the summer there is always watermelon in my refrigerator! We also enjoyed eating Popeye's spicy fried chicken!

One thing I thank Thailand for is showing me how to turn fruit into a smoothie! I LOVE watermelon smoothies and my other favorite is peach smoothie!

Oh the MEMORIES!

:flower:

November 28th, 2008, 23:11
Oh you better believe there was fried chicken and watermelon! During the summer there is always watermelon in my refrigerator! We also enjoyed eating Popeye's spicy fried chicken!

That's lovely dear. Was that before or after the family's weekly drive-by?

bucknaway
November 28th, 2008, 23:17
That's lovely dear. Was that before or after the family's weekly drive-by?

LOL :santa:

Geezer
November 29th, 2008, 00:22
The тАЬIgnoreтАЭ button is a very useful feature of this board.

bucknaway
November 29th, 2008, 00:33
The тАЬIgnoreтАЭ button is a very useful feature of this board.

Yes it is.... I guess they thought I was new to the game. :geek:

Irish1972
November 29th, 2008, 01:02
Welcome back bucknaway! Your posts seem different, hope all is well with you!

bucknaway
November 29th, 2008, 01:12
Different as in what way? Am I not as haha as I use to be or is it that I just don't care to argue at all when in the past I would give an argument the old collage try?

I think I post differently from when I use to post under the moniker blkcuteguy as apposed to bucknaway. But rest assured that I have learned and grown since my self imposed banishment of most all things internet,

Anyway, thank you and everyone else for the great welcome but it is not necessary because all of you were always on my mind! :geek:

Bob
November 29th, 2008, 02:33
Yep, welcome back, Bucky. And maybe I understand the one poster's comments about you being "different" this time.
Gone for a long while and then you post a raft of posts - some of which (like this one - "Do You Share Your Culture With Thais") seem to be a bit unusual and might indicate you hit your head when you fell out of bed the other day...hehe.

In any event, welcome back to the asylum for the criminally insane....

Michael
November 29th, 2008, 03:38
Just wanted to add to the chorus of "Welcome back 'bucks'".

What's different about your posts? They're missing the usual details of your lurid, sexual exploits in Thailand!