PDA

View Full Version : another day, another trip. How about Dubai and Africa?

Davey612
November 27th, 2008, 22:35
I just noticed that Emirates has started service to Dubai from San Francisco. It got some promotional fares to Kenya and Tanzania, with free stopover in Dubai.

Most likely I won't get much advice here, but if anyone has tips about Dubai, Nairobi or Dar Es Salaam, I would appreciate reading about it. You can PM me if you want. Thanks.

November 28th, 2008, 05:55
Horrible traffic...will take you hours to get anywhere. Despite being an Arab country the dominant language is Hindi. All flash and plastic and mostly over priced. Think Vegas without the gambling. Most of the tourist resorts etc are in Jumeraih strung out along the beach and Sheikh Zyed Road.

Gay scene is pretty low key. There is at least one bar where they will congregate on the weekend but that changes regularly so you would have to get the latest info from a resident. If you want to hook-up you will have more luck using Gaydar or Manjam. Keep in mind though that the UAE government blocks everything on the net even remotely related to sex and they are very good at it. If you bring a lap top make sure you have a good proxy.

Drinking is expensive in clubs, these days likely in excess of 7 USD per drink. No bars or clubs outside of hotels.

The CID has clamped down severely on cruising so it is very much at your own risk. Don't think that the British couple arrested for boffing on the beach was just bad luck on their part.

If you can get an reasonably priced or free stopover package from Emirates it would be OK for a couple of days if you just want to have a look see. Otherwise don't waste your time or money.