PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Decree

fedssocr
November 27th, 2008, 17:21
Nation is reporting that Somchai intends to use the police to enforce the state of emergency. I guess metropolitan police at DMK and some sort of provincial police at BKK.

November 27th, 2008, 18:15
Hold on tight, this could be a big one!!
Thanks for the update !!

November 27th, 2008, 22:03
Apparently its the Air Force and the Navy (seriously) as the Police and the Army chiefs have refused to support the government.

Beachlover
November 28th, 2008, 05:17
Funny how things we take for granted in most countries - like assuming the armed forces will act on orders from the government without hesitation - are non-existent and cannot be relied on in places like Thailand.

Whatever happens... it will be a very messy job to move 8,000 (or however many there are) protesters if it needs to be done by force... lots of groaning and grunting.

lonelywombat
November 28th, 2008, 05:28
This editorial in todays [friday] Bangkok Post seems to the best summary of the situation I have seen

Atiya Achakulwisut is Editorial Pages Editor, Bangkok Post.

The country has been put under a state of siege by the lawless People's Alliance for Democracy.

In the streets, people are shooting at one another. Bombs are going off. People are being killed. Angry tourists are stranded at the hijacked Suvarnabhumi airport worrying about a lost Thanksgiving family reunion.

And a nervous-looking Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat goes on TV to tell us that he has received a set of decorations from the Peruvian government!

What a thoughtless, tactless, unintelligent move from a country's leader.

If PM Somchai - who appeared timid and haggard, more like an old turkey about to be slaughtered than an internal security chief - wanted to publicly turn down Gen Anupong Paojinda's recommendation that he dissolve the House to prevent the political crisis from boiling over (if it hasn't already!), why couldn't he say so in a clear and coherent manner?

He could have taken the opportunity to speak to the Thai public and the international community - who have been holding their collective breath for a few days after the airport siege and desperately need to exhale - about how he would proceed to defuse the situation.

Instead, he went on and on about the mundane issue of what his government has achieved but failed to advertise. Does anyone want to know more about the government's dust-free streets project now?

I can sympathise with people who accuse Mr Somchai of being a puppet of his famous brother-in-law. He does look like a puppet, after all. The country is on the brink of a civil war and he had nothing to offer but the awkward stuttering over a poorly-prepared script which did not address the serious issue at hand.

As people are literally being beaten to death because of the colour of their shirts or their presumed association, the premier told Thais to play the proud and generous host to expatriates during the upcoming Asean summit, so that the world may appreciate our ability and potential.

Did the PM just go to Peru, or to outer space? Doesn't he realise there might be no Asean summit unless he puts his brains to work and frees Suvarnabhumi from the siege?

I can't call on PM Somchai to resign now, as it would mean bowing to what is essentially tantamount to an act of terrorism by the protesters. The PAD can't be allowed to enjoy any sense of triumph after its damaging aggression at the airport and they must be taken into account for their treacherous act.

However, Mr Somchai and his cabinet must realise that it is their complete ineptitude - selfishness in some cases - that gives life to the PAD. It is their flaws which give the PAD a reason to exist. They are the "government." They are here to "govern" the country", not to outwit the PAD at all costs.

It can be argued that if only they had tried to do their jobs properly and not functioned only as a PAD rival, things would not have deteriorated so badly.

In a perfect-world scenario, a government that couldn't defend its own seat of power - let alone an airport - from protesters, would have offered its resignation. To put all the blame on Army chief Anupong Paojinda is beside the point, they have been in charge of the country all the time. In Thailand, however, the democratic etiquette has yet to take root. We are hacking one another to death to defend our version of democracy after all.

At this point, I don't think the government or the PAD cares how much damage they would do to the country and the people, with their high-stakes battle of wills. An appeal on altruistic grounds would thus be useless.

On a practical basis, though, both sides must realise that they can't raise the stakes higher from now on, nor can they sustain it. Neither of them has a trump card or an endgame in sight. Neither the government nor the PAD can have a decisive victory.

Under the situation, both sides would have to end up at the negotiating table even after they unleash an all-out war and let both red- and yellow-shirted Thai blood flood the country.

The question is, would they rather get down to talk now and save an unnecessary tragedy, or plough on and face the monstrosity of their choice?

November 28th, 2008, 05:36
What can you do , with a country, where the army or the police will not obay, the lawful orders of its goverment,

bucknaway
November 28th, 2008, 06:44
Have things calmed down in the south of Thailand? I always wanted to visit there until the bombings began.

November 28th, 2008, 08:06
What can you do , with a country, where the army or the police will not obay, the lawful orders of its goverment,As That Book says, a certain person sees himself as above the law, and while he continues to believe that he can intervene at will everyone else can also ignore the rule of law. The PAD claim to be loyal to the King which is why they wear yellow all the time. One statement from the King such as "This government was elected in in a free ballot and represents the wishes of a majority of the people" would undermine them completely. However the palace chooses to remain silent so the PAD assumes they support the protests.

bucknaway
November 28th, 2008, 12:21
A leader is only a leader for as long as others will follow him and do his bidding. At this point in time, Thailand has a leader in name only.

I would not want to be in Thailand at this time... especially if my vacation was nearing an end. I am sure if I had plans to come and still tried to fly into Thailand with the problems they are having.... And they were sure to take it straight to the tourist -- my family would be thinking the worst of my intentions there but hoping for the best.

If this were going on in any other country, I wonder who would try to enter that country at all costs for a vacation?

One question I have is who now has the power? The Prime minister or the Army Chief?

anakot
November 28th, 2008, 12:24
PAD have said they will 'fight to the death'

How sad that this place has become a basket case with no effective government

anakot
November 28th, 2008, 12:27
One question I have is who now has the power? The Prime minister or the Army Chief?

The PM has been neutered and the Army Chief discredited himself in a long, vascillating and rambling session the other night at a press conference. He may hold the position but now lacks the authority

vnman
November 28th, 2008, 15:56
I've got a ticket to Bangkok and Phuket for the middle of January. So many selfish thoughts go true my mind. I can't stop thinking about how i hope that this will not effect me in a bad way, and how these events could benefit me in the end.

Does that mean I'm bad?

Me

November 28th, 2008, 16:28
With regard to beheadings, fattman is definitely being fair dinkum. As far as "are they killing their own" goes, I suppose that depends on how you look at things. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/shrug-2.gif

Cheers,

George.

November 28th, 2008, 16:56
Hi gra45, with respect to the beheadings, I think that is self explanatory, yes? However, in regard to killing their own and what I was referring to when I said it depends on how you look at things, I meant in the sense of the Thais being killed in the South being Muslims.

I hope the above clarifies things a little better for you.

Cheers,

George.

November 28th, 2008, 17:35
Well it was in the South of Thailand the last time I was there and I am pretty sure, that it hasn't been moved whilst I wasn't looking. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/wink_smile.gif

I am aware of why you have asked your question having been following your posts and where you intend visiting whilst in the LOS. Let me put your mind at rest by saying to you, that whilst Phuket is in the South, it is a very long way from where the trouble spots are. I don't anticipate you will have any trouble whatsoever during your vacation there, as much as anyone can anticipate anything here in Thailand, during the current troubled times.

Cheers Gra,

George.

anakot
November 28th, 2008, 21:33
Just heard that the police chief has been fired for not clearing the airport. This was on BBC a few minutes ago.

fedssocr
November 28th, 2008, 22:53
Hi gra45, with respect to the beheadings, I think that is self explanatory, yes? However, in regard to killing their own and what I was referring to when I said it depends on how you look at things, I meant in the sense of the Thais being killed in the South being Muslims.

I hope the above clarifies things a little better for you.

Cheers,

George.

Actually isn't it mainly the Muslim insurgents killing Buddhists? I was somewhat surprised to read that the "trouble" in the South has been going on for over 100 years already.

Yes, if you follow the news from Thailand much you will see all sorts of stories of regular killings in the southern-most provinces. Take a look at The Nation's website.

November 28th, 2008, 22:54

It would appear to be Chamlong or Sonthi!

And, LW, I think your article from the Bangkok Post was spot on. I watched the PM's ramblings on Thai TV and it was unbelievably pathetic, asking the PAD to please stop and go home and spending most of the time talking about his plans for improving the train service. Not what one would expect from any sort of leader, let alone an elected PM; I may be wrong, but as far as I know he was never actually an elected MP, but was an appointed minister who was then elected as PM by his own party.

If only there was another Anand Panyarachun around, but there appears to be no-one of any standing and integrity at all. Desperately sad.

November 29th, 2008, 05:36
If only there was another Anand Panyarachun around,

I don't think that even if it were possible, you would be able to persuade, threaten or coerce Anand Panyarachun into agreeing to take on the PM of Thailand role, for what would be his third time. You are right though GF, he was a great man that was able to accomplish many achievements whilst involved in politics, not least among them being; that when in the position of Permanent Secretary to the foreign ministry, he played a leading role in ensuring the US military withdrawal from Thailand. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/happy011-1.gif Only joking my colonial cousins. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/Wink.gif

GF for PM

Steady on there gra old boy, having succeeded in accomplishing something no other member here has managed to achieve before you, where GF is concerned, you are now proposing him as the next PM of Thailand? Unless he is proficient in being able to use sign language, or has the ability to be able to quickly learn it, I am afraid to say that I believe such a position would now be way beyond his capabilities. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/sifone.gif

Cheers,

George.