PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS:PAD closes Suvarnabhumi..TuesNov25th 9pm

travelerjim
November 25th, 2008, 20:50
As reported via ThaiVisa.com:

BREAKING NEWS:

21:18 Suvarnabhumi Airport cancels all departing flights as protesters
surge into terminal: Acting Airport Chief.

-- TNA 2008-11-25

PAD closes Suvarnabhumi

BANGKOK: -- The Suvarnabhumi Airport has been ordered closed after PAD
protesters seized key entrance and other areas.

The Airports of Thailand has decided to close the Suvarnabhumi airport
after PAD protesters entered passenger terminals.

Now, there will not be out-bound flights. In-bound planes are being allowed
to land for now, but can be diverted to key provincial airports if situations deteriorated.

The order was issued by AOT chief Serirat Prasutanont.
He made the decision after PAD protesters penetrated some passenger areas.

The People's Alliance for Democracy threatened earlier Tuesday night to
close down the Suvanabhumi Airport completely after several thousand PAD
protesteers blocked an entrance earlier in the day and caused turmoil for
numerous passengers.

As PAD protesters moved to surround Suvarnabhumi Airport where the plane
carrying Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat was scheduled to land, the arrival of
his plane from Peru was reportedly delayed due to technical problems.

The estimated time of arrival has not been confirmed. Some sources said he could
be arriving Wednesday evening.

"We have tried to pressure the govฌernment for more than 50 hours but nothing
has happened, so we need to step up our campaign by closing the airport to tell
the world problems Thailand is facing," said PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul at
Government House Tuesday night.

Before the closure order, the Airports of Thailand was Tuesday night mobilizing its
officials to Suvarnabhumi to make sure no key operations will be disrupted.

Travellers still can access the terminals through Bang Na -Trad highway,
but the motory-way entrance has been crowded with protesters.

Many travellers have already suffered inconvenience. AOT has also issued a
statement pleading with the PAD.

Somchai's plane failed to take off from Lima, Peru where he attended the APEC
summit after the hydraulic lock of the plane's wheels failed to unlock.

The technical repair was first expected to make Somchai's flight eight hours
behind the schedule, making Somchai's arrival time to be around 7 pm.

It was later reported that the repair work would be finished sooner so Somchai
would arrive at 5pm.

Somchai was scheduled to arrive in Bangkok at around noon on Wednesday.
He is now expected to arrive at 7pm instead.

The Public Relations Department said its reporter, Saksit Pradabsilp, reported from Peru
that a hydraulic lock of the plane's wheel would not unlock, thus, preventing the
plane from taking off.

While PAD Tuesday split in groups and stage a rally to block a Cabinet meeting,
Deputy Prime Minister Chaovarat Chanweerakul, as caretaker prime minister,
still manฌaged to have a meeting with Interior Minister Kowit Watana and
PM's Office Minister Supon Fongngam at the Public Relations Department
headquarters at 9.30 am.

Police and military representatives also attendฌed the meeting.

Chaovarat said after the meeting that the police had assured they could handle
the situation. They would be patient and would not use violence.

Moreover, they would ask PAD to vacate the government's temporary office
at Don Mueang Airport but would not "seize/ take back" the office, otherwise,
bloodshed could erupt.

Chaovarat said he would leave it to Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to talk
to the PAD leaders himself.

They were looking for a new place to hold the Cabinet meeting when the PAD
blocked the Supreme Command headquarters, he said.

Meanwhile, a source who joined the meeting and asked not to be named,
said police had told Chaovarat they would be able to control the situation
as PAD protesters mainly demonstrated at Government House and Don Mueang Airport.

Being left to rally as they wanted, demonstrators are likely to be exhausted on
Wednesday with half of them likely to leave the rally.

Security agencies would then wait until only a few protesters were left before
taking action, the source said.

Somchai's delayed arrival could be the reason for the cancellation of the scheduled
Cabinet meeting, the source said.

Culture Minister Worawat Uaapinyakul said PAD should care more about the
country and stop besieging government agencies' offices as it would hurt the country.
PAD's attempt was just power struggle, he said.

"The (PAD's) behaviours are like bandits'. They are unacceptable.
Why don't they respect democracy or listen to people's voice? Investors
are withฌdrawing nowadays as they don't know what is happening in Thailand," Worawat said.

The government has been forced not to use its power, Worawat said. However,
it would continue working according to the democratic system. However, it would
have to discuss where its office would be.

He said the Cabinet would be able to use many other places as its office.
However, the military should protect its dignity by not allowing PAD
to siege government offices.

Worawat said he would propose to Somchai to set up an office in Chiangmai
as the people there would welcome the government.

A government source, who asked not to be named, said the Secretariat of the
Prime Minister had not prepared any office to replace the Don Mueang Airport
as it needed to discuss the issue with the premier first.

The source said it was time the prime minister exercised the law against the PAD.
Otherwise, PAD would lay siege to any government offices.

-- The Nation 2008-11-25

-------

PAD shut down Suvarnabhumi

BANGKOK: -- The anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) on Tuesday
evening announced that it will attempt to close down Suvarnabhumi airport in an attempt
to topple the government.

At 9pm, the airport was ordered to shut down its operation temporarily as the PAD
demonstrators broke into the compound.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-11-25

----------------------

Anti-govt protesters block road to Suvarnabhumi airport

BANGKOK: -- The second day of the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy
(PAD)'s latest protests turned violent as thousands of protesters blocked the entrance
to Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport in preparations for a protest of the returning home
of Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat after a shooting with government supporters
earlier on Tuesday.

Confusion and other obstacles faced both arriving and departing passengers as the
protesters blocked the entrance to the airport from the motorway, virtually paralysing
traffic in the area. Such action prompted airline passengers and cabin crew to walk,
lugging their suitcases to the terminal.

PAD protesters were expected to spend the night as Mr. Somchai's plane has been
delayed and would not arrive until Wednesday night.

The flight, which Mr. Somchai is on, will land at another airport outside Bangkok
instead of Suvarnabhumi to avoid confrontation with protesters, according to Nattawut Saikua, government spokesman.

Mr. Somchai had attended the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Lima,
Peru, and is flying from there for home.

Serirat Prasutanont, acting director of Suvarnabhumi airport and acting president of
Airports of Thailand (AoT), said officials had urged the protesters to gather peacefully
and allow passengers to enter and leave the airport without inconvenience.

He said the protesters were requested to gather at the airport's parking lot, but no
response from the PAD protesters has been made so far.

In the late aftrenoon, police said PAD protesters opened fire and shot on government
supporters on Bangkok's Vibhavadee Road leading to the government's temporary
headquarters. The police said at least five people were wounded, and several motorcycles
torched in the attack.

The violence occurred on a road leading to the government's temporary
headquarters at Don Mueang airport where protesters laid siege for the second day.

-- TNA 2008-11-25

---------------

tj

jinks
November 26th, 2008, 00:05
AOT also has provided a hotline number for inquiries: 02-1321882 and 02-1321888. However, an AOT official said the lines soon became jammed.

For THAI flight information, the following number 02-3561111 has been provided.

November 26th, 2008, 00:11
Interesting footage on BBC News of the shooting incident: two gunmen, unashamedly firing in plain sight from the top of a truck, with one of them shooting from behind a large picture of the King!

Sondhi and Chamlong appear to think they are "untouchable" (and apparently they are).

November 26th, 2008, 01:13
It's time they broke up this nonsense with whatever minimum force is necessary.

Thailand has a democratic government & peaceful protest should be kept within acceptable limits.
This should mean protests should not disrupt the lives of people who want to carry on living as normal.

Aunty
November 26th, 2008, 05:23
Have they started slaughtering tourists yet?

bigben
November 26th, 2008, 09:00
Cant believe everything the media reports Fat.

I think the Government is practicing a little PSY-OPS in hopes that the news will split up the PAD groups i.e. all will be chasing to different airports while the MAIN MAN lands at some military base and jumps in a chopper for his actual arrival.

But then again......... who knows?

jimnbkk
November 26th, 2008, 10:26
I can attest to the mess at the airport. There were long lines of cars, phalanx's of police and a bunch of unruly people in yellow shirts. It's a mess, and I cannot understand the inability or unwillingness of the government to end this nonsense. It must be hurting the tourist industry and the reputation of the country hugely.

TIT

November 26th, 2008, 12:07
I'm in Katchanaburi and need to fly to Singapore on Sunday or my Visa expires!

and I suppose I can't get another 30 visa here as I dont have a Burma visa ??? (that's January).

Does anybody kjnow?

What will they do to me if I stay longer than Monday?

November 26th, 2008, 14:41
Seems to me that certain sections of Thai society are determined to destroy their own country.

Agreed, Fatts - and they are doing a frighteningly good job of it. It is now the opening item on BBC news, in case anyone outside Thailand had any doubts. The head of the Army is reported as saying that he is soon to make an announcement after consulting with "business leaders" - but not the elected government.

November 26th, 2008, 15:22
off the coast of Ranong.

Is that near Katchanaburi?

November 26th, 2008, 15:34

No.

I think ur thinking about the day tour to the Burma border and I DON'T think u either enter Burma or exit Thailand officially but some one please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just go back to Bangkok and take the train to Nongkhai, cross over the border into Laos, fuck off to Vien Chang for a couple nights (you can find tips in this forum), then come back. U don't even HAVE to stay a night. The Lao Visa is $29 (I THINK!) unless ur a Canadian then its more expensive.

But watch ur total reentry dayts. 90 max in 6 months.

fedssocr
November 26th, 2008, 15:42
My guess is that some allowances will be made in these extraordinary circumstances. Or they will ask you to pay an overstay fine.

Thailand's tourist industry will be set back hugely by this. The world economy has already weakened world-wide travel. This will just make it so that no one will want to come here.

You already see quotes of the people stuck at the airport vowing to never return. Frankly I don't see myself coming back either assuming I get out tomorrow night or some time in the near future.

Beachlover
November 26th, 2008, 16:04
I can hear tourism operators groaning from here... it's like coming home exhausted and beat after a 15 hour day to hear, "you forgot to buy the milk!"... it's
like hitting a man when he's down... it's like going up to a guy with a broken leg and breaking his arm.

It's nuts... I don't think these people realise how badly they're shooting themselves in the foot, considering how much tourism is already suffering. Either that, or they must feel so strongly about the cause that they need to pursue it at any and all costs... even if it means putting thousands out of jobs and killing off thousands of businesses.

People all over the world are working hard to drive tourists to Thailand (and being paid millions to do so)... but in one fell swoop, their work has been swung into oblivian and damaged beyond repair. Millions less people will travel to Thailand now. Cambodia must be smiling from ear to ear. It certainly deserves a break.

Well... for those of you still going to Thailand, hotel owners may be desperate for bookings... so it might be worthwhile driving a hard bargain. You might get 6 nights for the price of 3!

November 26th, 2008, 16:39
Am l missing something here. l know they want the PPP out, but was it a rigged election last time? I didn't think it was???
So what makes the PAD think that if there is another election, it will swing to the PAD ? if they have an election and the PPP win again, what then?
Assuming the last election wasn't rigged, for example it wasn't rigged in the USA, or the last UK election and people took to the streets it would be classed as Anarchy, is this not the very same?
As someone is Thai who is sat next to me now has just said, they have the cheek to wear to the Kings colours, but clashed with the Kings Army to get what they want? (The airport closed) Does the King want this?
I am wondering if the King will step in?? Thoughts anyone? I just hope and pray he is well enough to see this through, and it's so near his birthday.
Wouldn't that be sad, all these people outside the airport in the kings colours protesting and his birthday celebrations going ahead, l hope, with all his true lovers also wearing yellow, a little contrite don't you think?

November 26th, 2008, 17:07
Thank you for a good sensible reply!!!
My Thai freind also thinks money is comng in to support this as well.

Wesley
November 26th, 2008, 17:16
My guess is that some allowances will be made in these extraordinary circumstances. Or they will ask you to pay an overstay fine.

Thailand's tourist industry will be set back hugely by this. The world economy has already weakened world-wide travel. This will just make it so that no one will want to come here.

You already see quotes of the people stuck at the airport vowing to never return. Frankly I don't see myself coming back either assuming I get out tomorrow night or some time in the near future.

Indeeed, I am already getting letters of where to stay here in Manila and how to find the guys, this is not gong to be good for Thailand but may be great for here. They are canceling due to the violence. I assume they had already considered here or some where even considering going to Vietnam instead but, not Thailand.

Wes

November 26th, 2008, 17:26
The world economy has already weakened world-wide travel.

They'll ride this out. I hope they get the airport straightened out by the 29th (of December).

They can use the old airport.

November 26th, 2008, 18:11
As someone is Thai who is sat next to me now has just said, they have the cheek to wear to the Kings colours, but clashed with the Kings Army to get what they want? (The airport closed) Does the King want this?
I am wondering if the King will step in?? Thoughts anyone? I just hope and pray he is well enough to see this through, and it's so near his birthday.

If you watched certain sections of the funeral rite for the King's sister, you would have seen your answer.

{****** YOUR OPINION ON THE KING DELETED - jinks} are just some of the words that came to my mind.

Edit to say that it was not really an opinion, just some words describing his physical appearance. However, I will most certainly not repeat them again as Jinks requests

November 26th, 2008, 18:23
Again a good reply, thank you!

thanatorn-old
November 26th, 2008, 18:36
All this is kicking off just a week before the King's Birthday - not sure if this is timed as such or not, and as a poster has said, Thai politics is a lot more complicated than you can imagine. I do not think the present airport situation will last long: I should imagine that HRH will have something to say about it all in his birthday speech if no progress has been made, and although "above" the political process, I think whatever HRH says will give an indication of things to come, or the general direction of such.

November 26th, 2008, 18:36
off the coast of Ranong.

If you need real advice trust the one and only Fattman

he will advice you in the right direction

I think it's better to take your ticket to wherever and go to the nearest Immigration; explain your problem and ask them if they can be of any help.

November 26th, 2008, 18:38
It's time they broke up this nonsense with whatever minimum force is necessary.

Thailand has a democratic government & peaceful protest should be kept within acceptable limits.
This should mean protests should not disrupt the lives of people who want to carry on living as normal.

Amen to that!!!!

November 26th, 2008, 18:47
In 100% agreement with you.

fedssocr
November 26th, 2008, 18:48
The PAD don't want new elections. Gen Anupong suggested elections and that was rejected out of hand by PAD. They know they will keep losing elections. They want a new dictatorship with themselves in charge. Unfortunately for them there is a constitution in place and since PAD don't control the army they can't stage a coup. All they have is unrest.

Even if Somchai resigns he will just be succeeded by another PPP member. So I am not sure what the point is. PAD doesn't really appear to have a plan. And they know their numbers and influence are diminishing so they are getting more desperate.

The editorial in The Nation is right on. They are basically holding international tourists hostage.

I would love to see the army and police move in to remove the crowd. But I fear the protesters would cause a lot of damage.

I suppose I should look at this is a chance to extend my vacation. But I need to be at work on Monday.

Beachlover
November 26th, 2008, 18:52
Am l missing something here. l know they want the PPP out, but was it a rigged election last time? I didn't think it was???
So what makes the PAD think that if there is another election, it will swing to the PAD ? if they have an election and the PPP win again, what then?
Assuming the last election wasn't rigged, for example it wasn't rigged in the USA, or the last UK election and people took to the streets it would be classed as Anarchy, is this not the very same?
Wouldn't that be sad, all these people outside the airport in the kings colours protesting and his birthday celebrations going ahead, l hope, with all his true lovers also wearing yellow, a little contrite don't you think?

Go to www.news.bbc.co.uk (http://www.news.bbc.co.uk)

They have a good primer on the situation in Thailand... it's concise and easy to understand.

Best article to start with is this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7584005.stm

It's interesting, there are some distant similarities with the US where (as I understand it):

- You have masses of ignorant rednecks who vote republican.

- You also have more educated, broadly exposed (ie. they have travelled outside USA) and intelligent/open minded people who vote for democrats... but there are less of these people.

- Basically, republicans dumber but more numerous.... democrats smarter but smaller in numbers... so in a purely democratic election, the more numerous, dumber people win.

- In the last Bush election... the rednecks outvoted the more intelligent lot...

- If the US were like Thailand... millions of more intelligent democrat voters would've rioted against Bush taking office again!

In Thailand, there are some issues with the "smarter" middle class though:

- There's the tendency for them to treat the rural types with a lot of disdain and look down on them... very little respect. Middle class want to keep the lower class down... instead of other societies where there is a more "aspirational" desire where everyone wants to rise up and there's no tendencies for those up the top to supress working class people from rising.

- As a result... a lot of policies made by pre-Thaksin government did little to help empower working class Thais to rise up and help themselves. Where as Thaksin, despite all his massive corruption, did make a big effort to help working class... or at least be "seen" to help (whether his policies really helped them is subjective... some say they didn't help and were actually designed to fool them into thinking they were being helped).

Anyway... this is as I understand it.

November 26th, 2008, 19:15
Thank you, l will go and see the links.

travelerjim
November 26th, 2008, 21:42
Here is what MSNBC shows on its home news page:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27902801/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/g-cvr-081126-thai-protest-hmed-530a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/261108_front01.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/081125-ThailandProtest-hmed-644phme.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/passengers-261108.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/081126-thai-hmed-7ah2.jpg

-----------------

Sad ----So SAD!

tj

November 26th, 2008, 22:46
I see that EVA has canceled all flights into BKK for Friday, NOV 28; the flight we have tickets on. I guess that there is no end to the craziness in sight.

fedssocr
November 26th, 2008, 23:01
ANA has canceled their flight for tomorrow morning but they are holding off on the late night flights (the one I am supposed to be on) until noon-ish Japan time according to their website. They seem to think something may happen around 18:00 tomorrow for some reason.

My guess is that I will be here for a couple of more days at least.

bao-bao
November 26th, 2008, 23:20
The Travel Alert at the top of EVA's home page reads: "Suvarnabhumi Airport is currently closed. EVA Air has cancelled partial flights via Bangkok between Nov 25 and Nov 28."

There's a link to check for further updates but I personally don't expect much else until something's resolved at Suvarnabhumi one way or another. Guess I might be flying there next week - and then again I might not be, too.

Regardless - I hope it's settled without any more violence than has already happened - although I suppose that's expecting a lot as well.

Sen Yai
November 27th, 2008, 00:45
THAI have diverted thier flights to Don Mueang:

THAI Announces on Flight Arrivals into Don Mueang Airport
Today (26 November 2008), at 18.00hrs, Thai Airways International Public Company Limited announces additional flight arrivals into Bangkok. Five THAIтАЩs international flights, inbound to Thailand, will divert from Suvarnabhumi International Airport to Don Mueang Airport as follow;

- TG925: Munich тАУ Bangkok arrives 14:09 hrs.
- TG994: Sydney тАУ Bangkok arrives 16:45 hrs.
- TG609: Hong Kong тАУ Bangkok arrives 16:21 hrs.
- TG923: Frankfurt тАУ Bangkok arrives 19:00 hrs.
- TG917: London - Bangkok arrives 20:30 hrs.

Currently, twenty-four THAIтАЩs international flights have been diverted to land in Don Mueang and U-Tapao airport.

THAIтАЩs domestic flights, inbound and outbound from Don Mueang International Airport remain normal operation.

For further information on flight schedule and latest updates during this period, passengers may contact THAIтАЩs Contact Center at tel. 0-2356-1111 or 0-2545-4000 or www.thaiairways.com (http://www.thaiairways.com).

November 27th, 2008, 03:35
Thai airways have the right idea.

I'm not quite sure what the protests are about, as it appears Thailand doesn't actually have an effective government in any case.
The airport has been occupied for over 24 hours & that's more than sufficient time for the army to regain control of the terminal. Spineless leadership, evidently.

lonelywombat
November 27th, 2008, 05:18
Thai protesters force closure of second airport: airport official

November 27, 2008 - 9:26AM

Thai anti-government protesters have blockaded and shut down a second Bangkok airport, an official said Thursday, just over a day after they forced the closure of the main international airport.

Supporters of the so-called People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) started massing at the main entrance to the old Don Mueang airport Wednesday evening, and services there were cancelled at about midnight.

"Protesters have blocked the entrance to the terminal therefore we closed services until 6:00 pm (1100 GMT) Thursday," said Flying Officer Anirut Thanomkulbutra, director of Don Mueang.

Don Mueang operates a handful of domestic flights, and was the only airport left serving the capital after protesters swarmed the main Suvarnabhumi Airport late Tuesday, forcing the airport director to suspend flights.

A police official said about 3,000 PAD supporters were gathered outside Don Mueang airport.

Protest leaders had said Wednesday that they aimed to force the closure of Don Mueang to prevent ministers from flying to the northern city of Chiang Mai to meet with Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Somchai returned from a summit in Peru, landing in Chiang Mai on Wednesday evening, soon after the powerful army chief urged the premier to call new elections to end six months of turmoil in the kingdom.

Somchai refused, and called a cabinet meeting.

The premier had been holding cabinet meetings in a disused terminal at Don Mueang after protesters occupied his official Government House office in central Bangkok in late August.

But on Monday, PAD supporters besieged his temporary office as well as they upped their bid to topple the government, which they accuse of running the country on behalf of ousted and exiled premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

About 3,000 tourists were stranded at Suvarnabhumi as PAD supporters massed outside late Tuesday, but they began leaving Wednesday afternoon.

Protesters swiftly dug in inside the gleaming steel-and-glass terminal, setting up makeshift food stalls and tents in the airport.

┬й 2008 AFP

November 27th, 2008, 05:33
Most of us are old enough to remember at least two very bloody events in Thai history. I'm afraid I'm beginning to fear for my friends in Bangkok both Thai and Farang.

Beachlover
November 27th, 2008, 06:19
That's it... the only way out of Bangkok is by road now. No air freight in or out. This will cause massive disruption... catastrophic.

I think this is pretty much a last stand for PAD... it's do or die... if it fails, they are finished. If it succeeds, they will have taken a massive calculated gamble and won.

Beachlover
November 27th, 2008, 07:08
I guess any flights in mid-air have been or will be diverted to other airports... this happened to a number of flights, which were in mid-flight when the first airport was shut. The 2nd airport doesn't handle such major flights... mainly domestic I think.

For airlines, what's even worse than having this airport shut down (and having to re-route flights elsewhere) is having planes stuck at Sav and Dom airports.

I wonder how many planes are trapped on the ground there?

Planes cost massive amounts of money if they are just sitting on the ground. I heard a 747 costs about a million dollars a day (in lost revenue etc) when it's sitting on the ground.

I wonder if any airlines will resort to drastic measures... like attempting to take off without permission. This might be possible if protesters haven't physically put the runway out of action. And it might be a worthwhile action if it means their valuable assets can be extracted to be deployed for operations on other routes... anything's better than leaving it on the ground.

In the meantime... if you really want to get to Bangkok... you'll have to fly into Chiang Mai and get a bus/train down... or find another nearby airport. You can get to Chiang Mai via Singapore on SIA/SilkAir. It just means taking an extra day... but better late then never.

November 27th, 2008, 07:15
I'm in Katchanaburi and need to fly to Singapore on Sunday or my Visa expires!

and I suppose I can't get another 30 visa here as I dont have a Burma visa ??? (that's January).

Does anybody kjnow?

What will they do to me if I stay longer than Monday?

Immigration police have been asked to exempt fines for those whose visas have expired while stranded.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/271108_News/ ... news03.php (http://www.bangkokpost.com/271108_News/27Nov2008_news03.php)

November 27th, 2008, 07:29
The PAD don't want new elections. Gen Anupong suggested elections and that was rejected out of hand by PAD. They know they will keep losing elections. They want a new dictatorship with themselves in charge. Unfortunately for them there is a constitution in place and since PAD don't control the army they can't stage a coup. All they have is unrest.

Even if Somchai resigns he will just be succeeded by another PPP member. So I am not sure what the point is. PAD doesn't really appear to have a plan. And they know their numbers and influence are diminishing so they are getting more desperate.

The editorial in The Nation is right on. They are basically holding international tourists hostage.

I would love to see the army and police move in to remove the crowd. But I fear the protesters would cause a lot of damage.

I suppose I should look at this is a chance to extend my vacation. But I need to be at work on Monday.

PAD = People Against Democracy

November 27th, 2008, 09:46
A friend at a major airline told me that their reservations department are saying that bookings in January to BKK are 70%down and they are receiving cancellations by the hundreds per hour. Really bad news for tourism.

anakot
November 27th, 2008, 10:03
Can we be surprised. I am currently stuck here due to go back to Hong Kong today but of course flight cancelled. This sort of crap is unnecessary. Why would anyone on a tight schedule come here to holiday with the strong possibility that PAD thugs will just move in and block their exit.

Fortunately for me my schedule is flexible and I will stay put until the airport is reopened. Was offered a flight from Phuket but would have to make my own way there!

I wonder how many of the PAD thugs' families are dependent on tourism for their income. Lots I hope as tourism here will surely suffer until people forget.

Beachlover
November 27th, 2008, 10:28
A friend at a major airline told me that their reservations department are saying that bookings in January to BKK are 70%down and they are receiving cancellations by the hundreds per hour. Really bad news for tourism.

Lets be conservative and assume this act will reduce tourism by 30% (not 70%) for 1 year.

Thailand earns around 6% of its GDP from tourism. So we could calculate this act has, in a single instant, reduced the entire nation's GDP by 2%.

There's not many people in the world who would shoot themselves in the foot so hard!

Beachlover
November 27th, 2008, 10:31
Can we be surprised. I am currently stuck here due to go back to Hong Kong today but of course flight cancelled. This sort of crap is unnecessary. Why would anyone on a tight schedule come here to holiday with the strong possibility that PAD thugs will just move in and block their exit.

Fortunately for me my schedule is flexible and I will stay put until the airport is reopened. Was offered a flight from Phuket but would have to make my own way there!

I wonder how many of the PAD thugs' families are dependent on tourism for their income. Lots I hope as tourism here will surely suffer until people forget.

That's what would piss a lot of people off... especially Americans on their way home from Thanksgiving.

Anyone who's still going to Thailand could call up hotels until they find one willing to offer a 50% discount on their usual rates... I doubt you would have to make many calls. Most places must be sweating hard about the upcoming wave of vacancies and hopeful for anything.

November 27th, 2008, 11:44
Immigration police have been asked to exempt fines for those whose visas have expired while stranded.

Well that's good news.

I got my ass back here to Bangkok asap. Last place I wanna be stuck right now is near Birma!

I tried to access here from my b/f's apartment. He says SWT board is banned by his internet company. My b/f says government bans cause gay web site. Boy, if getting rid of tese protesters is gonna bring back DEMOCRACY and free speech here then ... It's pretty frightening to be banned from critical information by the government. Lucky fot these guys at Icafe but the keyboard is all fcked up.

Well, I guess I should be happy to be back. I CAN go to the Thanksgiving party at Richard's place tonighe, afterall.

fedssocr
November 27th, 2008, 14:11
So all these flights that have left major cities where will they land

At this point they are all just canceled. Most airlines are not even taking off.

One interesting thing about Bangkok is the presence of city ticket offices for most airlines. In the US they don't exist any more as part of all the cost cutting. All you can do is use the website or call on the phone. But here you can go see some one in person. And since the phone lines are jammed it is the only viable option. I went to United's ticket office on Silom and was out in less than 30 minutes with a rebooked ticket for Monday.

November 27th, 2008, 14:52
I wonder if any airlines will resort to drastic measures... like attempting to take off without permission.

I doubt that any airline is going to fling its kit into the air without insurance.

November 27th, 2008, 21:59
That's what would piss a lot of people off... especially Americans on their way home from Thanksgiving.

Apparently it did, judging by one American interviewed at the airport by the BBC: "Its a major holiday in the States tomorrow and many of us are going to miss it just because of a cockameemee little problem". A tad insular, perhaps!

November 28th, 2008, 01:14
The Thai government might as well resign if it cannot muster the manpower to storm the airport & kick these anarchists out.

Over 48 hours now & still nothing done.

bucknaway
November 28th, 2008, 01:21
I firmly believe that things are going on in Thailand and the Media/News is not reporting it.