PDA

View Full Version : Another new Silom hotel

Sen Yai
November 22nd, 2008, 15:32
Well, its on Suriwongse Road really, right opposite the Siam Heritage and Tarntawan, between the Tawana and the (yet to be opened) Le M├йridien.

De Arni Bangkok is a 'boutique' hotel with 56 rooms finished to a much higher standard than TakeASeat or Baan Saladaeng and may be of interest to those adventurous enough to consider something other than the tired Tarntawan. They have some good 'soft-launch' prices at the moment from about THB 1,400 but rates will probably double when the hotel is fully established.

It's been open for a few months and they have at last launched a web-site: dearnibkk.com/ (http://dearnibkk.com/) which doesn't function well yet, but better details pictures and prices are available on Agoda: www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/de_arni.html (http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/de_arni.html)

I am told that De Arni Bangkok is gay friendly, but I can not confirm any joiner policy. However, if you check it out on this site: th.88db.com/th/Services/Post_Detail.page/travel/hotel_accomodation/?PostID=407757&lang=en-us (http://th.88db.com/th/Services/Post_Detail.page/travel/hotel_accomodation/?PostID=407757&lang=en-us) you will see that one of the search engine tags is 'gay hotel bkk' so someone there has decided to target the PLU looking to stay in the Silom/Suriwongse area.

November 22nd, 2008, 17:55
Looks like a nice option. No doubt someone will test & report on their joiner policy soon?

All these new hotels should help to keep prices down.

November 22nd, 2008, 18:46
This looks appealing, be careful what you say about the Tarntawan though, they have their own Klu Klux Klan here on this board. LOL!

TOQ
November 22nd, 2008, 20:43
I just booked for a December stay so I will let everyone know what I find out if someone doesnt go there before I do

john

ThaiFan
December 8th, 2008, 11:31
I just booked for a December stay so I will let everyone know what I find out if someone doesnt go there before I do

john

Hi, John. Care to share what type of room did you book for how much? I couldn't find many online websites offering this hotel...

Or anyone has stayed there can offer a review?

TIA!

TOQ
December 8th, 2008, 14:01

john

Hi, John. Care to share what type of room did you book for how much? I couldn't find many online websites offering this hotel...

TIA!

I booked the standard room for 2 with a kingsize bed.

Booking was done through www.agoda.com (http://www.agoda.com) My card was charged $49.34US at the time so the rate was about 1700Baht with the VAT

john

ThaiFan
December 9th, 2008, 21:33

john

TIA!

I booked the standard room for 2 with a kingsize bed.

Booking was done through www.agoda.com (http://www.agoda.com) My card was charged $49.34US at the time so the rate was about 1700Baht with the VAT

john

Thanks a lot. Yes, that seems to be the best price available online.

krobbie
December 10th, 2008, 00:37
I would be most interested in your views as my guy has just gone for a Restaurant Captain's job their. Very slow yet but I hope many book. As soon as the bookings start rolling in my guy will have a job.

Cheers
krobbie

PS If I had known earlier about this hotel I may have booked myseld. As it is I am in South Sathorn at Astera Hotel from December 22

December 11th, 2008, 21:13
Not that anyone on this board knows me, I just signed up last night, but I just made a five-night reservation at this hotel over New Year's. I'll jot down a review during my stay. But allow me to make another recommendation -- Oakwood Residence on Sukhumvit. Oakwood is a U.S. chain of serviced apartments. I stayed there in March, and it was great. The most comfortable hotel room I've ever stayed in regardless of class. Plus, they have a really nice sundeck and small pool on the roof. A guy I met in DJ Station and I had the whole roof to ourselves for a couple afternoons. It was luxurious. Oh, someone else I met at DJ Station during that trip -- the front desk clerk. For some reason I found that comforting. He was all smiles but very professional the next day in the lobby.

I don't know if I'd call the place gay friendly, but a gay couple staying there was simply not an issue. No one so much as gave us a second look.

There's also a well-equipped gym in the basement, and the place is nearly right across the street from the Emporium shopping mall.

The best thing about Oakwood, though, is it puts you into a new neighborhood. The Sukhumvit area has a completely different energy, a more youthful energy, and it made me realize how much of a sex-tourist ghetto the Silom area can be.

I'll be staying there again, for eight nights, right after checking out of the De Arni. I'd like to stay at Oakwood for my entire Bangkok holiday, but B2,700 plus tax is the least expensive room they have, and that's a bit too much for two whole weeks.

TrongpaiExpat
December 11th, 2008, 22:19
The best thing about Oakwood, though, is it puts you into a new neighborhood. The Sukhumvit area has a completely different energy, a more youthful energy, and it made me realize how much of a sex-tourist ghetto the Silom area can be.

Sukhumvit used to have a group of gay bars and then one by one they faded and closed. There are 5 gay massage venues all clustered around 11 to 8 Suk that do a good business with more of a local customer base.

For great Cajun food check out Bourbon Street Restaurnat (http://www.bourbonstbkk.com/) near the Oakwood, Suk. 22.

krobbie
December 12th, 2008, 00:34
I wish they would finish their website. Bloody annoying. I like to have a good snoop at the photos beforehand but no info. Not much more on Agoda Site - Info but no pictures.

I will call in or send the bf to suggest he gets the thing finished so he can get some more bookings. My guy tells me the owner is a very nice guy. Good luck Motel69 and I look forward to your review.

Cheers
krobbie

December 12th, 2008, 05:56
Thanks for the tip, TrongPai. I'll check out Bourbon Street. From what I remember it is very close by.

And as far as Sukhumvit gay venues go, another gay friend and I went to Bed on Soi 11 the first night we arrived. It was a Sunday and it was supposed to be having a gay-mix event, but my friend and I were the only gays there. There were a lot of straight expats trying to get laid but not many Thai girlz taking their fancy. The place was kind of dead. And I think it cost like B500 to get in.

TOQ
December 17th, 2008, 19:53
Here you go Krobbie.

Choa and myself just checked into the De Arni.. They took a copy of my passport along with a copy of his ID. Very friendly check in with no snide looks at all. I believe they have 7 floors so lifts are not a problem. Free Wifi is available and is strong. Just ask for the password when you check
in. They have a sign out side the main door advertising 1280Baht.. The rooms are too nice so Im sure that rate wont last. Oh, plenty of hot water :)

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n108/suneeplaza/MISC/DSCF6222.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n108/suneeplaza/MISC/DSCF6223.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n108/suneeplaza/MISC/DSCF6224.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n108/suneeplaza/MISC/DSCF6226.jpg

john

krobbie
December 18th, 2008, 00:32
TOQ thanks for that. The room looks great. Tell me ... are the pillows soft. I detest hard pillows. Just try buying soft pillows at Robinson, everything is inside plastic bags so no idea what is inside. Also Robinson's have never heard of feather or down pillows!

Question: they do not mention a swimming pool ... is there one? I would guess not at 1250baht. That is such a reasonable price I cannot believe it.

Please pass on that they need to finish their website soonest or will miss valuable business during this somewhat hard tourist season.

Thanks TOQ. I will be in BKK on Monday 22. Check your PM.

Cheers
krobbie

Bob
December 18th, 2008, 04:15
Tell me ... are the pillows soft. I detest hard pillows. Just try buying soft pillows at Robinson, everything is inside plastic bags so no idea what is inside. Also Robinson's have never heard of feather or down pillows!

Geez, Krobbie, you almost brought tears to my eyes. How cruel the world must be.... :clown:

P.S. I'm not a scientist but couldn't you just squeeze the damn pastic-bagged pillows to have a clue how hard or soft they are? That's what I do when I buy one as I don't like the hard ones either (although I might not make my choice of hotels totally dependent on that).

P.S.S. Mr. Charmin, the guy who appeared in the toilet paper commercials for years, is taking a dirt nap so he can't help you in your squeezation exercises.....

krobbie
December 18th, 2008, 07:04
Tell me ... are the pillows soft. I detest hard pillows. Just try buying soft pillows at Robinson, everything is inside plastic bags so no idea what is inside. Also Robinson's have never heard of feather or down pillows!

Geez, Krobbie, you almost brought tears to my eyes. How cruel the world must be.... :clown:

P.S. I'm not a scientist but couldn't you just squeeze the damn pastic-bagged pillows to have a clue how hard or soft they are? That's what I do when I buy one as I don't like the hard ones either (although I might not make my choice of hotels totally dependent on that).

P.S.S. Mr. Charmin, the guy who appeared in the toilet paper commercials for years, is taking a dirt nap so he can't help you in your squeezation exercises.....

Bob,
I am a pillow aficionado and "squeezing the plastic" just doesn't cut it. I haven't purchased a pillow in plastic in some 15 years. Most I buy come in either linen or cotton bags with handles. Sometimes lavender scented sometimes not. Either pure wool fleece or feather & down. Plastic wrapping and synthetic pillow inners both bring me out in a nasty rash. I am quite a delicate flower as you may imagine :sml:

Cheers
krobbie

Bob
December 18th, 2008, 09:18
I am quite a delicate flower as you may imagine :sml:

Well, maybe a deflowered one at that, Krobbie....hehe. (much too easy)