PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for the plunge Brits:

November 20th, 2008, 22:02
Possibly, (being the appropriate word), the dollar to the UK ┬г could rise dramatically over the next few months. It's around 1.50 to the UK pound, "they" predict it couldl be around 1.28 sometime next year. If this does happen, then we are looking at 42 ish bht to the UK pound - that's if the bht is somehow "linked" to the US dollar, I believe in some way it is, even though "they" say the bht is linked to a basket of Asian currencies. That's gonna take the "T" out of Thailand and the "T" out of Tourism. It's a shame.

Just because the dollar increases in value then it does not necessarily mean the UK pound will weaken against other currencies, specifically the Thai bht, but having said that, that is exactly what has happened recently - so I don't see any change - do you?

I suspect the Euro will lose some value against the Thai Bht also, haven't done my research on that one though.

jolyjacktar
November 20th, 2008, 22:27
Oh well!! Whitedesire ive already canceled this comming visit for January i had planed due to the severe drop of the bht against the pound. Unless the politicians in this country start talking up the ┬г instead of running it down all the time i think it will drop even further. Due to the current situation here in the UK with electric and gas prices my heating and cooking costs have gone up about 55% since this time last year plus ever spiraling food bills i just cant justify trying to find 3O% more money to spend on a holiday just to maintain the same level of holiday as in the past. And i never allowed myself over the top for my daily spend anyway.
I think im not alone here in the UK when it comes to holidays as many work mates have told me too that they will not be going away in the next years holidays.
Still who knows maybe the pigs will fly and the pound will shoot up in value again somtime. :idea:

November 20th, 2008, 23:34
... what is the point? Enjoy yourself while you can, if there are other places where you can enjoy yourself cheaply then yeah, do so, but wherever you go in the world, I feel you aint gonna get much for your money. However, if you have an "appropriate" mortgage, you should also see some benefit from the recent interest rates cuts.

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 21st, 2008, 05:02
... what is the point? Enjoy yourself while you can, if there are other places where you can enjoy yourself cheaply then yeah, do so, but wherever you go in the world, I feel you aint gonna get much for your money. However, if you have an "appropriate" mortgage, you should also see some benefit from the recent interest rates cuts.

after just hearing a friend died in his sleep last night.this is sound advice. Make the most of it while you can.

GWMinUS
November 21st, 2008, 06:04
Well, I am committed to my trip to the Philippines next January.
Bought the airline tickets and booked the hotels.
Not going to Thailand his year.
The Dollar is much stronger against the Peso this year than last.
Now about 48php per $1.
But things are still more expensive in the Phills. Hotels have gone up!!
Boy are more expensive...
:drunken:
But you are right. I am 67 and keep reading about friends dropping dead at 61 and 65.
CHEERS!!!

November 21st, 2008, 06:40
You mean you didn't move some money for future spending into other currecies while the pound was strong Whitedesire? I thought you understood those things.

November 21st, 2008, 07:59
You mean you didn't move some money for future spending into other currecies while the pound was strong Whitedesire? I thought you understood those things.

Yeah, I bought first class tickets to BKK to change my pounds into bht - my air ticket cost that much I only had UK 1,000 left when I arrived there - then there's carbon footprint, another subject though!

November 21st, 2008, 08:02
If you're really sure, open up a forex trading account and short the GBP at high leverage. Make a fortune.