PDA

View Full Version : Fun with my tackle

Bob
November 15th, 2008, 10:58
I haven't ever done the deep-sea fishing as yet. But you can do some lazy inland fishing for some ugly catfish-type lunkers at the Pattaya Fish Park (I think that's the name). They'll furnish the poles and bait and you can sit at the picnic tables under the thatched roofs with your favorite Thai companions while being furnished with food and drink. Lazy as hell, but a lot of fun. Your arms might get sore taking 10-15 minutes pulling in the occasional lunker (my guess is they are 8-15 pounds for the most part) but it's a hell of a lot more fun watching some 115 pound Thai waif struggling to conquer the beasts.

Marsilius
November 15th, 2008, 13:14
At that fishing park, they used to bring over a small portable BBQ and cook the fish for you then and there. You then had a very pleasant al fresco meal with a few beers - and your charming companions to entertain you too!

If you hire a speedboat to take you to Ko Larn for the day, they will sometimes stop, unasked, half way across (must be "deep sea"?) and offer you some rather primitive fishing tackle to have a try for as long as you like...

November 15th, 2008, 19:25
We chartered a fishing boat last year from a friendly chap we call 'Yorkshire Dave.' I can't recall how much we paid, but I believe it was about 8,000 to 12,000 baht -- and this for a 60' fishing trawler. He had all the rods etc. and our guests caught some quite wonderful fish (I was, sadly, not so lucky, but I did manage to catch a decent number of gin and tonics).

PM me if you would like me to send you his contact information -- if you are a group, I believe it is well worth it, as the small boat charters are quite expensive, and all the ones I have spoken to are more deserving of a cudgel to the head than a few thousand baht.

November 15th, 2008, 21:21
Thanks guys,
I am going to visit Ko larn during my 2 week stay in Pattaya. looks a really nice place. I will look up the fishing park, sounds a good way to chill with a few beers and a BBQ
Cheers
I've 'gone fishin' quite often on my various visits.

The fishing park option is not bad if you want a lazy day with scant hope of catching much. As indicated, take a couple of boys with you and you can have a fun day out - it usually ends up as an outdoor boozing session with not a fish in sight! There is at least one fishing park in N. Pattaya (Naklua) and one up a long soi at the very far southern end of Jomtien beach that I know of, but understand there is another somewhere to the North of Pattaya.

Don't get your hopes raised on the 'visit to Koh Larn' option. You can also hire one of the speedboats to take you out specifically to go fishing, with a stop off at the island for lunch and an hour or so chill out/swimming. The cost last time I did it at the end of last year was 2600 Baht for 5 hours but be sure you specify to the operator that you want exclusive use of the boat otherwise you are likely to end up hosting Russian or other farangs with their breeders (who know how to work the system and pay the boat driver a nominal back-hander for the ride) - this usually happens after the visit to the island when some of the drivers tout for customers wanting to return to Pattaya but not wanting to wait for the regular ferry. The tackle is not rod and line but drop lines. Have never seen anyone catch anything weighing more than a couple of ounces in weight and that is over at least a dozen trips.

The 'Yorkshire Dave' idea is a much better option and I know of several groups who have had a blast on such a trip (and caught some worthwhile fish at the same time). As you say you need to find some like-minded souls to go with you and share the costs (which have risen quite a bit because of hike in fuel price). They do rod and line fishing and some trolling (in the fishing sense not the internet sense :drunken:)

There is an expat deep-sea fishing club advertised in the various farang Pattaya weekly papers and I understand you can join them on one of their regular charters for a reasonable fee - but don't know about tackle availability/hire.

If you a serious fisherman the last two options are the best.

Tight Lines !!!!

November 16th, 2008, 06:02
A couple years ago, I rented one of those double decked passenger boats right off the pier in Pattaya. There were many boats available because of it being low season. My BF at the time brought along about a dozen or so of his rowdy friends. We were able to stop anywhere we wanted to fish or swim. We hit Koh Larn and other secluded islands and was able to do some sightseeing. The captain prepared fantastic meals with our catches. I experienced one of the most memorable times of my life that day. Besides fishing, drinking, eating, swimming and playing cards all day I was able to see my BF interact with his buddies. The cost of the boat rental was 5000 baht with tip included. If memory serves, I spent more money on the booze, food and toys. Would I recommend this to anyone-absolutely. Go for it!

Dax

TrongpaiExpat
November 16th, 2008, 10:10
A couple years ago, I rented one of those double decked passenger boats right off the pier in Pattaya. There were many boats available because of it being low season. My BF at the time brought along about a dozen or so of his rowdy friends. We were able to stop anywhere we wanted to fish or swim. We hit Koh Larn and other secluded islands and was able to do some sightseeing. The captain prepared fantastic meals with our catches. I experienced one of the most memorable times of my life that day. Besides fishing, drinking, eating, swimming and playing cards all day I was able to see my BF interact with his buddies. The cost of the boat rental was 5000 baht with tip included. If memory serves, I spent more money on the booze, food and toys. Would I recommend this to anyone-absolutely. Go for it!

Dax

That price seems very high for one of those slow wooden double deck boats. Anyone else have recent experience on the costs?