PDA

View Full Version : Tourism is down in Pattaya

November 14th, 2008, 20:10
http://pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd3

In the West, if there is a recession, we bring interest rates down, reduce the prices of goods, and so forth to encourage a "big spend". But in Thailand they do the exact opposite, if there is a recession looming, they put up their prices, thinking that they will get more money from the few that do visit, invariably this does not happen. Not much they can do about the currency I suppose, even though the bht is somewhat a lot stronger than it was a year ago, or even two years ago.

Your thoughts!

November 14th, 2008, 22:44
HEY YOU WHERE YOU GO WITH THIS ONE? YOU THINK TOO MUCH!

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 14th, 2008, 22:47
HEY YOU WHERE YOU GO WITH THIS ONE? YOU THINK TOO MUCH!

we can hear you shouting all the way from KL.

jolyjacktar
November 15th, 2008, 00:56
Hey Whitedesire i agree with you 100%. The pound sterling earlier today was down to 49.7 bht to the pound. This time last year it was about 68bht. I was coming out in a few weeks time but have now canceled as it would cost me ┬г400 more for the same length of holiday than it did last year and thats just spending money. No holiday is worth spending that much more on for the same level of comfort.
I know of 2 other people from the UK now not going out as its now very costly, as nothing has come down only gone up.
I'm not a cheap charlie just a sensible charlie. :albino:

bing
November 15th, 2008, 02:11
Guys, it is only money, spend it while you can, I figure in another 10 years or so I'll be just too old to make this sort of annual 2 or 3 week trip to LOS.
So I will suck up a few bucks in the difference and go and have a great time. I am happy Delta Air Line will be paying for the next trip on frequent flyer miles, but even if I had to break open the piggy-bank, I would make the trip. I have found that the Bose noise reducing head phone and the Ambien make the trip a bit less of a burden. A side note the box of ambian says you will sleep for 8 hours,,, ha ha well I did drift off for a few hours and that was enough. I could actually enjoy the airport in Korea for a few hours, as opposed to walking around like a zombie.

joe552
November 15th, 2008, 04:10
I'm with you, Bing. Dreaming of my annual couple of weeks in LoS is all that keeps me going during the long Irish winter. As I said on another similar thread, I'd rather quit smoking than quit going to Thailand. Besides, what else would I spend the money on?

November 15th, 2008, 05:50
... is going to cause havoc with Thailand's tourism trade, it will come to a standstill, lets face it, Asian tourists won't be very good at subsidising Thailand in tourism!

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 15th, 2008, 07:12
Guys, it is only money, spend it while you can, I figure in another 10 years or so I'll be just too old to make this sort of annual 2 or 3 week trip to LOS.
So I will suck up a few bucks in the difference and go and have a great time. I am happy Delta Air Line will be paying for the next trip on frequent flyer miles, but even if I had to break open the piggy-bank, I would make the trip. I have found that the Bose noise reducing head phone and the Ambien make the trip a bit less of a burden. A side note the box of ambian says you will sleep for 8 hours,,, ha ha well I did drift off for a few hours and that was enough. I could actually enjoy the airport in Korea for a few hours, as opposed to walking around like a zombie.

most sensible advice..spend it while you can and make the most of the time you have. If you haven't got it, run up your credit cards..they're all about to go to the wall soon so get some back on the bastards who have been ripping you off for so long.

bing
November 15th, 2008, 08:07
Joe and Lunch fair winds and following seas to you. Lunch you have been a bit caustic about my buddy Monty of late. He has stopped smoking and was
the quintescential good host when I was with him in October. He has started drinking again, but heck you dont become a saint over night, smoking now and perhaps drinking in a while. He ran the Pool in Sunee for 3 years and one of the observations I made some time ago, was that he tossed a party the likes of which I have never enjoyed a party more than at Monty's pool. Stop by and see him when you are in Jomtien, I have supplied him with a modest selection of pictures from the pool days. Be sure to ask for the nice zebra pic with the Thai boy falling off the pole. It is my favorite.
I'm sure he will be delighted to show them to you. Just don't spill any of your gin and tonic on them. By the way an observation I made this last trip. Don't tell the boys you want a " gin and tonic ", the proper Thai talk is "gin tonic". It not only tastes good but perhaps may fight off malaria in the process.

jolyjacktar
November 15th, 2008, 21:01
Bing i can see your point about its only money, and normaly i would agree with you. However i notice the Yankee dollar has been stable at around 34 to the dollar for some time now. Yet the pound has been in constant free fall for about 2 months.
So you coming from USA has a different outlook at the exchange rate than say us Brits.
Still good luck to any person that can afford to pay extra for a holiday. I have to take care of my uk concerns before i can spend in Pattaya.
Still guys have a good new year to those going out then.

Wesley
November 16th, 2008, 15:10
I think the USA and UK have┬а gone into the mode of conserve until thigns stabelize or we find out exaactly how bad it is. Truth is, there could be a turn around, and if┬а so, many are not┬а canceling┬а trips ony postponing them until they see where this ends┬а up, Those on a pension are the ones really hurting. They can't work extra hours or do more or try new ways of earnng new money to fix the problem. If the guys I met there are representative of the group that go to LOS, then most are on a pension at that age or they have a company that is still paying him although he may be of pension age.

Wes

November 16th, 2008, 17:25
the trouble is that even the farang bar owners dont lower their prices, they seem to have the same idea as the thais. Some bars charge almost 150bht for a bottle of beer. At the, current rate of exchange , thats more than i would pay for a beer here in the uk.I think give it another few months , and then u will really see the drop off in visiters to Pattaya

Patexpat
November 16th, 2008, 17:52
interestingly there wasn't a single sun bed free on the stretch of beach my friend was on in Patong this afternoon ...

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 16th, 2008, 17:59
Joe and Lunch fair winds and following seas to you. Lunch you have been a bit caustic about my buddy Monty of late. He has stopped smoking and was
the quintescential good host when I was with him in October. He has started drinking again, but heck you dont become a saint over night, smoking now and perhaps drinking in a while. He ran the Pool in Sunee for 3 years and one of the observations I made some time ago, was that he tossed a party the likes of which I have never enjoyed a party more than at Monty's pool. Stop by and see him when you are in Jomtien, I have supplied him with a modest selection of pictures from the pool days. Be sure to ask for the nice zebra pic with the Thai boy falling off the pole. It is my favorite.
I'm sure he will be delighted to show them to you. Just don't spill any of your gin and tonic on them. By the way an observation I made this last trip. Don't tell the boys you want a " gin and tonic ", the proper Thai talk is "gin tonic". It not only tastes good but perhaps may fight off malaria in the process.

I doubt I'd be welcome at Montys nor do I really have much desire to go there.

November 16th, 2008, 20:17
I think the USA and UK have┬а gone into the mode of conserve until thigns stabelize or we find out exaactly how bad it is. Truth is, there could be a turn around, and if┬а so, many are not┬а canceling┬а trips ony postponing them until they see where this ends┬а up, Those on a pension are the ones really hurting. They can't work extra hours or do more or try new ways of earnng new money to fix the problem. If the guys I met there are representative of the group that go to LOS, then most are on a pension at that age or they have a company that is still paying him although he may be of pension age.
Wes

Well how about taking in a lodger as an extra income stream?

November 16th, 2008, 21:50
the trouble is that even the farang bar owners dont lower their prices, they seem to have the same idea as the thais. Some bars charge almost 150bht for a bottle of beer. At the, current rate of exchange , thats more than i would pay for a beer here in the uk.I think give it another few months , and then u will really see the drop off in visiters to Pattaya

It is of course mainly the gay bars/clubs that are hiking the prices and ripping of the gay punters. In most of the straight clubs/bars the prices of a beer is still around the 70-90 Baht figures and even less during 'Happy hours'. Which is why you see so many of the establishments catering for the gay trade struggling whilst their counterparts catering to the straight crowds continue to flourish.

bing
November 16th, 2008, 22:33
I hope this is not an epic tragedy, like, "I Sing of Troy", but after day and the beach and perhaps a massage you will find yourself in the period of the day before supper with an hour to kill. Why not stop in at Montys. I am not trying to drum up business for him, but I think you are denying yourself and enjoyable experience. Usually there will be a few other farangs offering tidbits of information or just shooting the breeze. I have enjoyed the experience and If you are a gambling man, why not try it, you may find it is your cup of tea. If not, well there are other places to enjoy a G&T on the morrow.

November 17th, 2008, 08:28
It is of course mainly the gay bars/clubs that are hiking the prices and ripping of the gay punters. In most of the straight clubs/bars the prices of a beer is still around the 70-90 Baht figures and even less during 'Happy hours'. Which is why you see so many of the establishments catering for the gay trade struggling whilst their counterparts catering to the straight crowds continue to flourish.

They don't give up, it could be 1929 in some of the BKK bars and they would still charge 250 bht. In fact, they would probably increase the prices.

Having said that, as we all know, drinks are cheaper in Pattaya, unless you go somewhere like Wild West.

November 23rd, 2008, 01:15
The headlines in the Pattaya Mail this week, while a fair reflection of events, are hardly likely to boost visitor numbers:

Mourners bid final farewell to beloved Princess

Railway road nearly finished

Only traffic lights, street lights and the waste water project at the Calming Reservoir now need to be completed. A feed pump and a power control box should be installed by the end of November. Additional large drainage pipes have to be placed at 50 points to handle heavy rain. ( So there are no drains? Another great bit of planning.)

Chonburi governor stresses honesty

Pattaya City turns 30

City looking to attract more Thai tourists

From November 14-16, the Fifth Eastern Cattle Breeding Competition was held at the Banglamung District Office, attracting no less than 10,000 fans and some 200-300 reservations for accommodation, he said.

Python beats fighting cocks

Youth shot dead on Pattaya 3rd Road

Police alleged that Rithhirong was a ya ba dealer in the area and bought a gun from the profit of his drug dealing and тАЬhad been shooting at other teenage gangsters.тАЭ

German dies in apparent suicide from condo roof

A German man died when he fell from the roof of the 15-storey View Talay Condominium in Naklua in an apparent suicide

Youth slash American with sword

An American man was attacked with a meter-long sword by a gang of teenagers on Saithong Beach in the early hours

Pirated CD vendor nabbed

Russian dies after fall from hotel

A Russian man died when he fell 9 floors in the stairwell of a Pattaya hotel in an apparent accident.

Katoeys rob Iranian tourists

Three transvestites drugged two Iranian men in a room in Nongprue, robbed them of a bundle of cash then fled on a motorcycle