PDA

View Full Version : Is Loy Kratong a homoerotic festival?

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 14th, 2008, 13:08
TIT..anything can become a homoerotic festival if that's what you want. All tastes catered for. :bounce:

November 14th, 2008, 13:14
TIT..anything can become a homoerotic festival if that's what you want. All tastes catered for. :bounce:Up To You

TrongpaiExpat
November 14th, 2008, 21:20
I am in Chiang Mai now for Loy Krathong and was thinking the same thing. Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to be during Loy Krathong. I did not come here last year but have several years before and YES, I too noticed all the boys without shirts in traditional dress. I took a lot of photos and seemed to be less interested in the real decorative floats with all that exposed skin. I don't remember all this wonderful exposure in prior parades. Who ever had this idea, well done!

The parade organizers were making announcements in English and Thai yet I did not notice many Farangs on the street watching the parade, floating krathongs or sending up hot air/flame lanterns.

To anyone that has never been to Chiang Mai for Loy Krathong it's too late this year but there's 2009, plan now, you will not regret it.

Bob
November 15th, 2008, 03:42
Haven't been in LOS for Loy Krathong for a few years, but used to love watching the parades down Taipei Road in Chiangmai as Trongpai suggests. Althought some of the floats are absolutely stunning and most of what's presented is interesting (the last night's parade is almost 3 hours long), the last couple of times I watched ended up with the game of "can Bob spot the men who are men and the girls that ain't"). The Thais can spot a guy in drag, it seems, 100% of the time and simply can't understand why the dumb ol' falang (me) can only do it about 50% of the time. For me, the shoulders, the adam's apple, and occasionally the "you're just too ugly to be a girl" look makes the choice somewhat obvious; however, it'd be my guess that most falangs wouldn't score much better than I did (just too many pretty girls/guys/its or whatever the hell they are).

GWMinUS
November 15th, 2008, 06:21
Great photos.
Even better since they where all taken at night.
AHHHHH, all half naked Thai Bois are worth viewing...
CHEERS :cheers:

November 15th, 2008, 07:31
AHHHHH, all half naked Thai Bois are worth viewing...Particulalrly as I could detect only one instance of mutilation (aka. tattoo)

TrongpaiExpat
November 16th, 2008, 11:46
AHHHHH, all half naked Thai Bois are worth viewing...Particulalrly as I could detect only one instance of mutilation (aka. tattoo)

The boys/guys and young men in the parade were from the private local schools, colleges and universities not from the gay bars. That might be why there are not a lot of tattoos, piercing and spiky hair. Or, is that just a Chiang Mai thing? Where's CM expert Henry to educate us in the ways of the boys of the North? He's been quiet, medicated?

November 18th, 2008, 13:03
Re: Is Loy Kratong a homoerotic festival?

Shirtless male dancers and performers? Is cross gender that obvious? Looks standard here in asia, whether guys from schools, gay bars or not. Really nothing really 'weird' about it, but maybe not so in your home country.

How do you think it is 'strange?