PDA

View Full Version : Good late night food in BKK

topjohn5
November 13th, 2008, 17:29
Where are the places that serve good food, that you particularly enjoy, near the bars in BKK after midnight? If the best places are not near the bars then still let me know anyway......there is always a taxi......
Thanks for your help!

November 13th, 2008, 18:30
Try The Malaysia Hotel coffee shop. It's only 40 baht in a taxi from Silom, the food is great and inexpensive.
Lots of available boys around the hotel carpark too.

November 13th, 2008, 18:38
or just walk out of Soi 2 (i assume) onto Silom Rd. plenty of good food there on the street, and lots of passing trade to watch while u eat.

ThaiFan
November 13th, 2008, 20:09
Hi, Yaowarat (China) has the best Thai-Chinese / Chinese food.

Choose from hot noodles, grilled seafood, porridges and sweet desserts to fruits like durians, fruits in seasons and charcoal-toasted bread/toast.

Just 5-10 mins from Silom by taxi, and you can easily find food till past 2AM.

Not something to write home about, but decent generic thai fare is served in the row of hawkers just outside the Montien Hotel facing Surawong road. Further down, along the small soi that leads to the Rose hotel, there is a seafood restaurant that serves reasonably priced seafood (depends on what you order) which is close (but not on par) with Somboon seafood for some dishes.

There are some well-kept secret places that are almost 24-hours. The 2nd floor coffee shop of the now renamed Unico Grande Silom hotel just past Silom Soi 9 dishes out a fantastically decadent portion of fried basil/chilli roast pork on rice, or your western fare from the a la carte menu. If I am not wrong, after midnight the restaurant in Tarntawan Place Hotel still serve food - check with them as I have not tried it in more than 2 years.

1PR4BKK
November 14th, 2008, 02:17
I love going to Bug & Bee Restaurant (18 Silom Road, BKK) after a night of clubbing and/or bar hopping. The food is pretty good and eclectic. Also, there is plenty of eye candy coming to see while you dine.

Bug & Bee on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8PkQ8bfh9Y

giggsy
November 14th, 2008, 03:21
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sEaskAQJ_oI

topjohn5
November 14th, 2008, 10:52
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sEaskAQJ_oI

hahaha, "...the dirty bastards!"

By the way, thanks for all the suggestions. It was what I was looking for.

bing
November 14th, 2008, 18:11
I make it a point to never eat from street vendors. It is a personal choice as I have some tummy problems on going, but in October I was walking on the soi leading to Suriwang hotel and Jupiter. It was in the afternoon and there were at least 100 Thais eating with great gusto from the sidewalk vendors. I don't eat from these folks, but I almost waivered as everyone seemed to be having such a good time eating and chatting with their friends.

November 14th, 2008, 20:21
I eat from street vendors often, both in Bkk and out in the countryside. The only time i have had a really bad reaction to the food here was after eating in a mexican fast food reataurant. At least with the street vendors you can see how clean the food preparation areas are. If you the kitchen in some restaurants you would rather eat from street vendors!

bao-bao
November 14th, 2008, 22:33
If you [saw] the kitchen in some restaurants you would rather eat from street vendors!

That's true in a surprising number of restaurants most anywhere in the world.

It isnтАЩt only the food handling and storage that can be a problem for some digestive systems тАУ the dishwashing technique can be inconsistent, which can cause its own problems.

This was at Chatuchak market one afternoon, and itтАЩs certainly not unusual тАУ just the first image I came to when I went looking for one as an example:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/albumpics/2726.jpg

This one was taken in June in Pattaya at a small sidewalk eatery near my hotel. In addition to answering тАЬhow do they clean the dishes thereтАЭ (rinsed with water at a simple sidewalk spigot, no soap involved) it also answers the age-old question тАЬboxers or briefsтАЭ :cheers:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/albumpics/2725.jpg

November 15th, 2008, 02:30
http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/albumpics/2725.jpgNo butt-crack?

bao-bao
November 15th, 2008, 03:47
No butt-crack?
He's a restaurant worker, not a plumber! :cheers:

topjohn5
November 15th, 2008, 11:40
I can't remember where I read it once but there was a study that said that even in the USA 70% of all the "colds/flu" that people think they have are likely instead the result of some form of food poisoning/food prep, etc. Would love to find that study again.
Anyway, the worst case I ever had was from a sausage I picked up from a vendor in Prague (and not "that sausage" you filthy beasts).........God, I was horribly sick within an hour.......... and another time eating raw fish in lime juice and hot sauce (devine) from a vendor in Mexico. I got Hepatitis from that one, hahahaha...the fish not the vendor!

November 15th, 2008, 11:48
... eating raw fish ...That's rather reminiscent of the song "If you knew sushi like I know sushi"

November 17th, 2008, 04:24
Hi, Yaowarat (China) has the best Thai-Chinese / Chinese food.

Choose from hot noodles, grilled seafood, porridges and sweet desserts to fruits like durians, fruits in seasons and charcoal-toasted bread/toast.

Just 5-10 mins from Silom by taxi, and you can easily find food till past 2AM.

Not something to write home about, but decent generic thai fare is served in the row of hawkers just outside the Montien Hotel facing Surawong road. Further down, along the small soi that leads to the Rose hotel, there is a seafood restaurant that serves reasonably priced seafood (depends on what you order) which is close (but not on par) with Somboon seafood for some dishes.

There are some well-kept secret places that are almost 24-hours. The 2nd floor coffee shop of the now renamed Unico Grande Silom hotel just past Silom Soi 9 dishes out a fantastically decadent portion of fried basil/chilli roast pork on rice, or your western fare from the a la carte menu. If I am not wrong, after midnight the restaurant in Tarntawan Place Hotel still serve food - check with them as I have not tried it in more than 2 years.

. .The Tarntawn serves food 24/7. And it lousy 24/7.