PDA

View Full Version : Hotels, hotels and more HOTELS!! ARGH!

November 13th, 2008, 06:22
Hello All.

Been watching/reading this site for sometime now. Have tucked away much usefull information to the back of the brain already. BUT, I am planning a trip to BKK in the very near future, my first trip. (hopefully not my last.) I think from reading posts here that I am looking to stay in the Silom area, but have no idea of which hotel is "best" for me. I'm looking for a decent, clean hotel, High speed internet would be great, close to popular areas. But, I have looked at more hotels than I can remember. Also, how do you know the "house rules" for a hotel? ie, charge for bringing a guest back to your room? Security, as I have heard some hotel hold guest ID's until they leave etc...

If someone, or several could give me some ideas I sure would appreciate it. (I can read all the websites, but they all run together after a while.) I'm looking at spending $40-$70 US per night, looks like that might be possible.

I have tons more questions, but lets start with this one.

Thanks in advance. I'm excited about the trip, just want to be as close to perfect as possible.

November 13th, 2008, 06:33
I think you will find the Swiss Lodge a great place to stay. Close to the Silom action, no joiners fees, excellent staff, wireless internet and a nice place to stay. However, slightly above your budget, yet you might shop the rate on the net.

www.swisslodge.com/index.htm (http://www.swisslodge.com/index.htm)

November 13th, 2008, 07:39
If you want perfect try Tarntawan hotel... but more like $80/night

jimnbkk
November 13th, 2008, 07:56
I always stay at Omyim Lodge (if they have room) Their website: http://www.omyimgroup.com/

Yo have to plan ahead and make reservations because they're frequently full.

November 13th, 2008, 09:33
I think you will find the Swiss Lodge a great place to stay. Close to the Silom action, no joiners fees, excellent staff, wireless internet and a nice place to stay. However, slightly above your budget, yet you might shop the rate on the net.

www.swisslodge.com/index.htm (http://www.swisslodge.com/index.htm)

Agree!! many friends stayed there.....unbeatable location and quality of room at their price range, service is great too.

November 13th, 2008, 10:36
Probably in your budget range The Rose is your best bet. Close to all the action. They don't care who or what you drag home with you. In room internet access is available (for a fee).

If you are staying for more than a few days, I'd recommend some of the botique hotels on Sukhumvit instead. More bang for the buck, more stuff happening on the street around the hotels and for 25 baht you can take the BTS over to Silom's gay areas. The Key, Sachas, Swiss Park all come to mind - and can be had at discounted prices on wotif.com (for late bookings).

November 13th, 2008, 10:45
Hey, thanks for the ideas, keep them coming. I did fail to mention that I am planning on staying 10-12 nights. I have a ton more questions............... Appreciate the advice!

November 13th, 2008, 15:21
The Silom area is a good place to stay. There are go-go bars, discos/clubs, gay restaurants, spas/massages and saunas conveniently located nearby. It's also very touristy.

When I was there recently (28 Oct-4 Nov 2008), I stayed at the Take A Nap Hotel (www.takeanaphotel.com (http://www.takeanaphotel.com)) for 4 nights. It's next to BBB Inn and a stone's throw away from Soi Pratuchai where you can find many go-go bars like The Boys Bangkok, Dream Boy, etc. The hostel is family-run but gay-friendly. I have no problem bringing in 'guests'. Apparently, they have no joiner fees. Internet is available including wireless access.

The remaining 3 nights, I stayed at Baan Saladaeng (www.baansaladaeng.com (http://www.baansaladaeng.com)). It's along Sala Daeng road between Silom and Sathorn. A more quieter place. Walking distance to Silom Soi 2 where you can find discos like DJ Station, JJ Park, G.O.D. and cafes. Parallel to Sala Daeng road is Convent Road where you can find Sauna Mania. If you don't mind walking, Babylon is nearby via Sathorn road.

Between these two, I prefer Baan Saladaeng. The hotel is straight-friendly. The staff are helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. There are English channels on TV. Location is convenient. Skytrain and subways are easily accessible. Wireless internet is available. If I'm not mistaken, there are no joiner fees. I simply *love* going back to my hotel room.

If you need more information, just ask. I did some research prior to my Bangkok trip. I was seeking affordable accommodation and things to do. While I don't have any specific itinerary, I do have a to-do-list at hand just in case I was bored. I actually made a map showing the location of some hotels to help me decide. Feel free to view my map online.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 13048c7ffd (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=117803029019348031194.00045b126b413048c7ffd)

Since you're staying for about 10-12 nights, you may want to consider staying at a few hotels. A longer stay at a hotel may even get you a special rate. Do ask and try to reserve early. Don't forget to bring enough money during your stay. I ended up spending more than I planned (mostly on accommodation). But it's money well-spent.

I can't wait to visit Thailand again.

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 13th, 2008, 16:50
I always like Two Guys for Bangkok especially as the rooms are adequate and the staff friendly and the owner owns 2 gay clubs ( with pretty good shows).

Never a problem taking anyone back..although last time thy did say.."not that old slapper surely !"..they were speaking to the "off" about me..but so what..any hotel that lets me in would let Jack the Ripper stay.

I always used to stay at the Dusit..but got sick of that sharp eyed security manager who lets you get right across the massive foyer and about to press the button before he springs from behind a column and busts you..no "joiners "fee..just a complete price for another guest.

downmarket suits me now.

November 13th, 2008, 17:22
[quote="zul"].

If you need more information, just ask. I did some research prior to my Bangkok trip. I was seeking affordable accommodation and things to do. While I don't have any specific itinerary, I do have a to-do-list at hand just in case I was bored. I actually made a map showing the location of some hotels to help me decide. Feel free to view my map online.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 13048c7ffd (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=117803029019348031194.00045b126b413048c7ffd)
[quote]

This map above is the best and most helpful I've seen yet. Zul must have worked hard!

Anyway my suggestion is the Malaysia - it is only from 808 Baht and clean as I have said before/ Short taxi ride to all the bars and Patpong

November 13th, 2008, 20:53
Thank you "drfrost3" :-). I actually made it for myself. I hate staying at a hotel that is too far away from where I want to be. I could relate to "Help-newguy" in finding the ideal accommodation.

Previously, I stayed at a guesthouse in Khaosan after my Southern Laos trip. Khaosan is great for backpackers but I was absolutely bored and 'lost'. Not only that, I was duped by a local into visiting a temple, a suit shop and a jewelry store (all of which I had zero interest in visiting).

Lesson learnt.

I also had another map with some spas, massage places and places of interest marked on it. Combined together with the Bangkok hotel map, I roughly know the area and travel requirements according to my needs.

Regardless, I do get lost finding hotels and places. But I enjoyed the hunt and the walking. Chakran sauna was especially difficult to find by walking as their location map was simply inadequate.

Still, every individual has his/her own criteria and agenda. While it is easy to select a hotel based on favourable reviews, ultimately, it is your own personal experience which will eventually decide whether the choice is good or not.

On a different note, I forgot to mention about BangkokSong. It's a gay managed apartment. Located near Babylon. Rates vary from 800-2,500 Baht per night. I didn't stay with them as they're quite fully booked. Based on our email exchanges, the guys are friendly.

BangkokSong website is: http://bangkoksong.blogspot.com/

This map above is the best and most helpful I've seen yet. Zul must have worked hard!

Anyway my suggestion is the Malaysia - it is only from 808 Baht and clean as I have said before/ Short taxi ride to all the bars and Patpong

November 13th, 2008, 21:28
You have Om Yim Lodge's address as 106 Soi Sribumphen Rama4 Road Thungmahamek. This is the address of Om Yim Restaurant. The hotel is actually at 72,74 Naratiwat Road Silom Bangrak Bangkok . You have the pin placed on the map correctly though.

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 13th, 2008, 21:36
I always like Two Guys for Bangkok especially as the rooms are adequate and the staff friendly and the owner owns 2 gay clubs ( with pretty good shows).

Never a problem taking anyone back..although last time thy did say.."not that old slapper surely !"..they were speaking to the "off" about me..but so what..any hotel that lets me in would let Jack the Ripper stay.

I always used to stay at the Dusit..but got sick of that sharp eyed security manager who lets you get right across the massive foyer and about to press the button before he springs from behind a column and busts you..no "joiners "fee..just a complete price for another guest.

downmarket suits me now.

God I shouldn't write after so many cocktails ( that's drinks not cocks !)..4 gin/vodka/passionfruits thingies that the barman assured me that the Duchess of Windsor drank on a regular basis was enough for me to dip a straw in the jug and sip away..what I meant was :

BBB Inn, 918 Rama 4 Road,Bang Rak, Bangkok 10500Thailand
Phone 0 - 22 36 - 22 59On Rama 4 Road between Surawong Road and Montien Hotelopposite Red Cross (Snake Farm)

not luxurous but the rooms have everything yo need..comfortable etc nice staff , free internet in the cafe..no problem with taking trade back..and they let me in so they'll let any old ratbag stay there. AND CLOSE TO THE ACTION..JUST AROUND THE CORNER !!

November 16th, 2008, 11:46
Sheesh! I still can't decide. Does not have to be an all gay hotel. I know, as strange as it may seem I'm a pretty discrete type person. Anyone know anything about @ Home ... something...

Ok, also.. so I'm not a big "club" type person. Where else is a decent pick up place? I guess I don't know the "protocol" for picking someone up either or how it all works.. Maybe I missed that in a previous post.
Sorry about the stupid questions..

November 16th, 2008, 16:44
I like the map Zul.
Are you planning to map any other destinations?

bao-bao
November 16th, 2008, 21:20
I guess I don't know the "protocol" for picking someone up either or how it all works.. Maybe I missed that in a previous post. Sorry about the stupid questions..

They're not stupid questions if they're sincere. Where some newbies get themselves flamed (to use an old term) is when they don't make the time to do a modicum of research themselves. Zul did some and was good enough to share it here. Are his examples ideal for everyone? Of course not тАУ but itтАЩs a jumping off point if nothing rings the bell.

As of this moment there are 7,798 topics in the Gay Thailand forum, with 83,728 posts to them. You can be sure your answers can be found in at least a few threads -- via multiple points of view, sometimes degenerating into c o l o r f u l examples of bitching and backbiting, which can occasionally be entertaining, too! :cheers:

I donтАЩt recommend slogging back through ALL the pages in the forums, as I did a couple of years ago (IтАЩm still in therapy about that, but hoping to make a breakthrough soon) but the Search function at the top of the page could save you a lot of time.

ThereтАЩs also the Research Forum, which contains a wealth of shared information.

November 17th, 2008, 00:30
Thanks, The thing that is stressing me out the most is finding a hotel. After that, I could probably figure most other things out. The problem I have is that I don't know the lay-of-the-land and where everything is located. So, when I browse a hotel and it describes where it is, how far it is from this or that, it means nothing to me. I'm hoping to get this wrapped up in the next day or so.

But, thanks for the help.

November 17th, 2008, 00:51
Sheesh! I still can't decide. Does not have to be an all gay hotel. I know, as strange as it may seem I'm a pretty discrete type person. Anyone know anything about @ Home ... something...

Ok, also.. so I'm not a big "club" type person. Where else is a decent pick up place? I guess I don't know the "protocol" for picking someone up either or how it all works.. Maybe I missed that in a previous post.
Sorry about the stupid questions..

In Thailand the protocol is something like this:
1 Walk into gogo bar, order drink.
2 Watch talent walking around on stage. They will probably be wearing only underwear which is numbered.
3 Select your preferred guy & the Mamasan will call him over (or make eye contact & nod at your preferred date).
4 Confirm the guy will meet your "specific needs" in bed (with the mamasan possibly translating)
5 Check his ID card to ensure he's over 18
6 Pay for beer & off fee.
7 Return to hotel. The hotel may require his passport to be handed in.
8 Go to your room. When he's in the shower, discretely lock all your valuables & cash in the room safe (except for his tip)
9 :bounce:
10 Pay him a tip & let him out
11 In some hotels, reception will phone your room to confirm if it's alright for your guest to leave.

Brad the Impala
November 17th, 2008, 01:01
Dear New Guy, Don't get stressed! Just book at Tarntawan Place. Best place in Bangkok for a gay newcomer, perhaps some others here will advise better than me how to get the best rates there. It is very close the main gay areas, 5 minutes walk. You will have no problem with male guests, and their security, while being respectful to your guests, will also check their ids, and check with you when they leave, that all is as it should be.

www.tarntawan.com/ (http://www.tarntawan.com/)

francois
November 17th, 2008, 01:37
Dear New Guy, Don't get stressed! Just book at Tarntawan Place. Best place in Bangkok for a gay newcomer, perhaps some others here will advise better than me how to get the best rates there. It is very close the main gay areas, 5 minutes walk. You will have no problem with male guests, and their security, while being respectful to your guests, will also check their ids, and check with you when they leave, that all is as it should be.

www.tarntawan.com/ (http://www.tarntawan.com/)

Good advice, New Guy. You can't go wrong with the Tarntawan. Maybe after one week you can try something else as suggested.

November 17th, 2008, 04:17
I would suggest that given the tourist numbers are fairly miserable you should try to play hardball and actually phone the hotel to negotiate a decent rate rather than just pay what it says on a website.

November 17th, 2008, 08:01
well as far as Tarntawan Hotel, yesterday I was speaking to a friend who works there, he says the place is full

Smiles
November 17th, 2008, 08:24
" ... The problem I have is that I don't know the lay-of-the-land and where everything is located. So, when I browse a hotel and it describes where it is, how far it is from this or that, it means nothing to me. I'm hoping to get this wrapped up in the next day or so ... "
A general bird's eye view of the "lay-of-the-land" in Silom/Suriwong can be found best here: http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/map/1/1/
The map is a year old and place names come and go, but the streets and sois you would be interested in the Silom area are all located on the map, as are all the places by number with a directory at the bottom.
Once you get a feel for where the sois are, then just brouse around for your first delicious off.

You seem a bit crazed about choosing a hotel. Then why not book the Tarntawan (or something) for just 2 or 3 days. If you don't like it then you can wander over to some of the other hotels mentioned in this thread and change venues. Any hotel charging over 1500 baht a night will be an OK place.

But frankly, I'm not sure why you're getting yourself into a lather about 'which hotel' when your stay is only 10 days. What's the worst that can happen in that short spell of time?

Cheers ...

TrongpaiExpat
November 17th, 2008, 10:16
Yes, too much planning. Just go and wing it and have fun. Z909's gave some good advise but it reads like a check list for landing a 747. Go, make mistakes, learn and have an adventure.

My first trip to Thailand was 1984, no internet, no forums, guide books were not written yet on the gay scene and I could not speak a word of Thai. I learned from my mistakes and had the time of my life.

November 17th, 2008, 11:21
I agree with Tarntawan being a good choice. The location is great and staff are helpful and friendly.
I have stayed there many times before moving here and never once had a bad experience.

Newguy, if you want a place that is more upmarket, consider the Sofitel on Silom Road. You'll probably be able to strike a good deal with them for a longer stay. The hotel is very nice with great rooms. It's about 10 minutes walk to Soi 4. There are other hotels close to the Sofitel like the Narai, but I am not sure how good they are.

Cheers

November 19th, 2008, 18:52
Thanks z909 :-).

I have a map for Singapore. It's at:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 915a9aaf3e (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=117803029019348031194.000457032c1915a9aaf3e)

Other maps that I have are:
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (in progress)
- Johor Bahru, Malaysia (lack of information)
- Spas/Massages in Bangkok, Thailand
- Patong Beach, Phuket, Thailand

These maps are basically for my own use. I gather most of the information from Utopia's website. To determine the approximate location and contact details, I used the information available at the respective establishment's website.

As such, I can't promise 100% accuracy. Therefore, I don't think it is prudent to promote my maps as a definitive guide for the discerning traveller ;-).

If anyone would like to collaborate, do drop me a note. It's totally voluntary, non-profitable and simple to do. Thanks!

I like the map Zul.
Are you planning to map any other destinations?