PDA

View Full Version : Beach vendors on Dongtan beach, Jomtien

bao-bao
November 13th, 2008, 01:32
For those of you who haven't been approached by the beach-side vendors who work the area, this is for you.

If someone actually knows the guy pictured below, would you be so kind as to PM me? I'd be curious to know if there are any clues to his demeanor that day (or other days) or if it'll remain a total mystery. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------

...And always remember to ask for the sale!

ThereтАЩs no doubt you see characters of every stripe and size while pissing away an afternoon on the tourist beaches of Thailand, and even more colorful ones in the sections affectionately referred to here as тАЬgayтАЭ. I donтАЩt mean literally colorful, although there are enough tints of pink-to-red on visiting farang to quantify an early sunset sky; but rather a quirky mix of nationalities, languages and, of course, personalities.

What makes it all the more entertaining is the endless parade of Thai locals as they make their rounds between the rows of sling chairs beneath the canopy of colorful umbrellas, plying their products and trades to all and sundry.

On one afternoonтАЩs lounging I observed at least two or three EACH foot, shoulder and body massagers, pedicurists, manicurists, people selling fruit, popsicles, ice cream, VCDs (adult and mainstream), DVDs (same same), CDs, sandals, scarves, T-shirts, jet-ski outings, island outings, sunglasses, BBQ shrimp, Crocs in a rainbow of colors and I'm sure many, many more things I canтАЩt immediately recall.

I suppose if they had a baht for each time they were told тАЬno, thank youтАЭ over the course of their career theyтАЩd retire with a nest egg larger than many who wave them away as if shooing away a fly circling their heads. As it is they make a humble but honest living and even the most cynical should admire their dedication and perseverance.

You learn quickly to avoid eye contact as they pass nearby (or risk finding yourself under full siege) but some come and stand next to you or at your feet, as if to wear your resistance down. For these more determined folk there is sometimes seemingly no understanding on their part of тАЬno thanksтАЭ, even in their mother tongue.

One young man in particular comes to mind; a man with тАЬmore patience than sense,тАЭ I thought at the time but I had to admire his determination.

He appeared in my peripheral vision as I was admiring the physique of a couple of 30-ish Thai men at the waterтАЩs edge and while I deliberately didnтАЩt make eye contact with him, he stood at my feet and stared at me for a couple of minutes until there was no gracious way to go back to my book and ignore him without feeling rude. looking just over the top of my book I could see he had on clean denim jeans and a long T-shirt, well laundered from black to a dark grey. Still only viewing him indirectly it looked as though he was carrying a stack of papers or something. Throwing better judgment to the warm afternoon breeze I looked up at his face.

Soft dark eyes looked back at me from a handsome but somewhat somber face, peeking out from beneath a curtain of long dark brown bangs. He didnтАЩt break into the smile I was expecting, but instead lifted the bundle up to his belly level where I could see it looked like a stack of over-sized construction or craft-paper cards, each covered on the outside with a colorful fabric.

With no change of expression he opened one of them and a yellow paper cut-out of an elephant rose from the center of it, making the distinctive crackling sound they do as it opened and the edges moved against each other. He stopped and stood, motionless. I looked at the elephant, up at his face, back at the card, then back up at him. тАЬNo thank you,тАЭ I said тАУ somewhat regretfully тАУ expecting him to close up тАЬshopтАЭ and move along out of my viewтАж but he didnтАЩt.

Still stone-faced he slipped the elephant card to the bottom of his deck and opened the next card. A small square two-toned building stood up from inside the card, making the same sound the elephant did. Again he stopped and stood there looking at me, card splayed open for my consideration. тАЬNo thank you,тАЭ I said a second time тАЬnot today.тАЭ

He closed the card, moved it to the bottom of the stack and opened a third card, this one with a different elephant, larger and orange this time. Again the expressionless look and again my refusal but I was getting a little uncomfortable, wondering if he was "all there" mentally but not wanting to appear impatient or impolite. He gave no indication of being stoned, drunk or unhappy, and I was puzzled.

We did this a few more times until it was getting to be humorous and I was laughing while waving each new card off, waiting to see if heтАЩd break a smile to share the silliness of the whole situation. After all, he was a handsome guy and probably had a dazzler of a smile, if heтАЩd just let loose with it. No such luck.

тАЬAha!тАЭ I thought to myself, as he was getting ready to open card number eight тАЬMaybe if I make like IтАЩm going to take his picture heтАЩll go away to avoid it or smile to try and make the sale!тАЭ I had my camera out and open, so I picked it up, smiled at him and said тАЬyim!тАЭ while focusing on him. Nothing.

I took two pictures, nearly identical because he didnтАЩt move a visible muscle and then set the camera down, sat up as best one can in a beachside sling chair and stared back at him, squarely in the eyes. тАЬIтАЩm sorry,тАЭ I began in my more-than-clumsy Thai тАЬbut I donтАЩt want to buy anything now.тАЭ I took out one of the quarter-folded 20 baht notes I keep in my pocket for just such things and handed it to him. тАЬGood luck today,тАЭ I said with a smile, and he turned and moved a couple of steps away from me, scanning the chairs ahead for his next stop.

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/albumpics/2724.jpg

Bob
November 13th, 2008, 02:24
Yo, Bao bao. I think I met this guy's brother. As you say, occasionally you meet somebody who has the maximum dour face and you somehow take it upon yourself to see if you can pry a smile out of them. A few weeks ago, my Chiangmai boss and I were on a boat tour of Halong Bay in Vietnam. The boat's captain (driver) seemed to be my challenge (plus I thought he was rather good looking). Unfortunately, I didn't know how to say "yim" in Vietnamese.

Here's "Smiley" in his usual animated style:
http://tcbob.smugmug.com/photos/415745846_2gDZM-M.jpg

Here's another shot of him, almost thinking about a grin (not):
http://tcbob.smugmug.com/photos/415745864_Ms8YZ-M.jpg

Ah, come on, let's see those pearly whites:
http://tcbob.smugmug.com/photos/415745860_zyUXp-M.jpg

Happy, happy, happy.....

markie1
November 13th, 2008, 02:54
For those of you who haven't been approached by the beach-side vendors who work the area, this is for you.

If someone actually knows the guy pictured below, would you be so kind as to PM me? I'd be curious to know if there are any clues to his demeanor that day (or other days) or if it'll remain a total mystery. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------

...And always remember to ask for the sale!

ThereтАЩs no doubt you see characters of every stripe and size while pissing away an afternoon on the tourist beaches of Thailand, and even more colorful ones in the sections affectionately referred to here as тАЬgayтАЭ. I donтАЩt mean literally colorful, although there are enough tints of pink-to-red on visiting farang to quantify an early sunset sky; but rather a quirky mix of nationalities, languages and, of course, personalities.

What makes it all the more entertaining is the endless parade of Thai locals as they make their rounds between the rows of sling chairs beneath the canopy of colorful umbrellas, plying their products and trades to all and sundry.

On one afternoonтАЩs lounging I observed at least two or three EACH foot, shoulder and body massagers, pedicurists, manicurists, people selling fruit, popsicles, ice cream, VCDs (adult and mainstream), DVDs (same same), CDs, sandals, scarves, T-shirts, jet-ski outings, island outings, sunglasses, BBQ shrimp, Crocs in a rainbow of colors and I'm sure many, many more things I canтАЩt immediately recall.

I suppose if they had a baht for each time they were told тАЬno, thank youтАЭ over the course of their career theyтАЩd retire with a nest egg larger than many who wave them away as if shooing away a fly circling their heads. As it is they make a humble but honest living and even the most cynical should admire their dedication and perseverance.

You learn quickly to avoid eye contact as they pass nearby (or risk finding yourself under full siege) but some come and stand next to you or at your feet, as if to wear your resistance down. For these more determined folk there is sometimes seemingly no understanding on their part of тАЬno thanksтАЭ, even in their mother tongue.

One young man in particular comes to mind; a man with тАЬmore patience than sense,тАЭ I thought at the time but I had to admire his determination.

He appeared in my peripheral vision as I was admiring the physique of a couple of 30-ish Thai men at the waterтАЩs edge and while I deliberately didnтАЩt make eye contact with him, he stood at my feet and stared at me for a couple of minutes until there was no gracious way to go back to my book and ignore him without feeling rude. looking just over the top of my book I could see he had on clean denim jeans and a long T-shirt, well laundered from black to a dark grey. Still only viewing him indirectly it looked as though he was carrying a stack of papers or something. Throwing better judgment to the warm afternoon breeze I looked up at his face.

Soft dark eyes looked back at me from a handsome but somewhat somber face, peeking out from beneath a curtain of long dark brown bangs. He didnтАЩt break into the smile I was expecting, but instead lifted the bundle up to his belly level where I could see it looked like a stack of over-sized construction or craft-paper cards, each covered on the outside with a colorful fabric.

With no change of expression he opened one of them and a yellow paper cut-out of an elephant rose from the center of it, making the distinctive crackling sound they do as it opened and the edges moved against each other. He stopped and stood, motionless. I looked at the elephant, up at his face, back at the card, then back up at him. тАЬNo thank you,тАЭ I said тАУ somewhat regretfully тАУ expecting him to close up тАЬshopтАЭ and move along out of my viewтАж but he didnтАЩt.

Still stone-faced he slipped the elephant card to the bottom of his deck and opened the next card. A small square two-toned building stood up from inside the card, making the same sound the elephant did. Again he stopped and stood there looking at me, card splayed open for my consideration. тАЬNo thank you,тАЭ I said a second time тАЬnot today.тАЭ

He closed the card, moved it to the bottom of the stack and opened a third card, this one with a different elephant, larger and orange this time. Again the expressionless look and again my refusal but I was getting a little uncomfortable, wondering if he was "all there" mentally but not wanting to appear impatient or impolite. He gave no indication of being stoned, drunk or unhappy, and I was puzzled.

We did this a few more times until it was getting to be humorous and I was laughing while waving each new card off, waiting to see if heтАЩd break a smile to share the silliness of the whole situation. After all, he was a handsome guy and probably had a dazzler of a smile, if heтАЩd just let loose with it. No such luck.

тАЬAha!тАЭ I thought to myself, as he was getting ready to open card number eight тАЬMaybe if I make like IтАЩm going to take his picture heтАЩll go away to avoid it or smile to try and make the sale!тАЭ I had my camera out and open, so I picked it up, smiled at him and said тАЬyim!тАЭ while focusing on him. Nothing.

I took two pictures, nearly identical because he didnтАЩt move a visible muscle and then set the camera down, sat up as best one can in a beachside sling chair and stared back at him, squarely in the eyes. тАЬIтАЩm sorry,тАЭ I began in my more-than-clumsy Thai тАЬbut I donтАЩt want to buy anything now.тАЭ I took out one of the quarter-folded 20 baht notes I keep in my pocket for just such things and handed it to him. тАЬGood luck today,тАЭ I said with a smile, and he turned and moved a couple of steps away from me, scanning the chairs ahead for his next stop.

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/albumpics/2724.jpg
Maybe you did not realise bit thsi Gu is deaf ,and these cards are made by deaf people , i did actually buya few on my last visit from the guy in the photo,sucha sweet guy ,and if he can makea living by selling cards good luck to him ,i will always support people that at least do something to try and make a living .

bing
November 13th, 2008, 03:10
Last month I saw a young man selling ice cream. He has been a vendor for many years, he used to sell doughnuts, now he is wearing a rather large staw hat and has a voice you can hear as soon as he comes in the area. He is constantly smiling and saying a few good words to anyone who gets some ice cream from him. If you have been ensconced at Rits chairs, you will probably know who he is. Just a pleasant thougth of afternoons at the beach.

bao-bao
November 13th, 2008, 03:30
Maybe you did not realise bit thsi Gu is deaf ,and these cards are made by deaf people , i did actually buya few on my last visit from the guy in the photo,sucha sweet guy ,and if he can makea living by selling cards good luck to him ,i will always support people that at least do something to try and make a living .

If this is true - and looking back it seems like the logical explaination - you win the ribbon, markie1... thank you.

Deafness can be one of those "hidden" disabilities so without him saying anything (and if he's deaf there wasn't anything so odd about that, it was his expressionless face that seemed odd) there was no way of my knowing it. I'd run several scenarios by in my head - just broken up with his girlfriend, was hungover but hid it well, that sort of thing - but I'd missed the possibility of his being deaf. Had I caught that I would have certainly bought a few of the cards myself as you mentioned. Hope you didn't misinterpret something and think I was making any fun of him... I was just puzzled.

Come to think of it, had I been there with my friend I'm guessing he'd have clued me in.

I'll keep an eye out for him next time I'm there. It still seems a bit odd he didn't return a smile, but not everyone does. No penalty there!

The joke is certainly on me, and I'll have fun sharing this one for a while!

Thanks again! :cheers:

neddy3
November 13th, 2008, 04:30
The guy in the photo is certainly someone whom I have seen. But I don't know him.
He regularly sells these cards at the beach.
Another boy, whom I know to be deaf, also sells these same cards.
I had always assumed, but don't know for sure, that all the boys selling these cards are deaf.
Also have assumed that the cards are made by deaf people at some type of sheltered workplace.

November 13th, 2008, 05:45
He is deaf. He also sells his cards in town. I bought several cards from him at the Corner Bar in Sunee in September. He is well know to many of the locals.

November 13th, 2008, 06:00
I find the parade of vendors at the beach fascinating. A great place for lunch and some drinks. Great live entertainment from both Thai and falang; the human interactions and drama a wonderful diversion.

On the last trip a 15 year old Thai version of Donald Trump and I had a very spirited negotiation. His English was good, his French okay for chitchat and his German just for greetings. His answers and counter offers so clever and funny it more than justified the purchase.

I have said a boatload of тАШno thank youтАЩ and yet always manage to buy something. A bargain each and every time considering the effort some of the vendor put into their craft.

mahjongguy
November 13th, 2008, 06:37
Yes, he's deaf, and very handsome. I saw him there two weeks ago and he was carrying a notice of his disability. We bought a card that said "I Love You" then handed it back to him. He smiled beautifully.

TOQ
November 13th, 2008, 08:01
He is deaf. He also sells his cards in town. I bought several cards from him at the Corner Bar in Sunee in September. He is well know to many of the locals.

I have done the same and usually buy one everytime he comes around. I have a stack of them now because you never know when you might need a last minute card or gift. :)

john

francois
November 13th, 2008, 09:29
There is another deaf/mute Thai boy who hangs in Sunee Plaza. All smiles and sells more than just his cards. I always tip him just to see his smile.

November 17th, 2008, 23:51
Yo, Bao bao. I think I met this guy's brother. As you say, occasionally you meet somebody who has the maximum dour face and you somehow take it upon yourself to see if you can pry a smile out of them. A few weeks ago, my Chiangmai boss and I were on a boat tour of Halong Bay in Vietnam. The boat's captain (driver) seemed to be my challenge (plus I thought he was rather good looking). Unfortunately, I didn't know how to say "yim" in Vietnamese.

Here's "Smiley" in his usual animated style:
http://tcbob.smugmug.com/photos/415745846_2gDZM-M.jpg

Here's another shot of him, almost thinking about a grin (not):
http://tcbob.smugmug.com/photos/415745864_Ms8YZ-M.jpg

Ah, come on, let's see those pearly whites:
http://tcbob.smugmug.com/photos/415745860_zyUXp-M.jpg

Happy, happy, happy.....

. .I agree. He is very cute but he doesn't look the least bit Vietnamese. I would like to know his origins.

November 17th, 2008, 23:59
Yes, he's deaf, and very handsome. I saw him there two weeks ago and he was carrying a notice of his disability. We bought a card that said "I Love You" then handed it back to him. He smiled beautifully.

. . You did good. Lovely story. Chock dee! You deserve it.

Bob
November 18th, 2008, 03:30
I agree. He is very cute but he doesn't look the least bit Vietnamese. I would like to know his origins.

Huh? He looked a lot like most of the other guys I saw around Hanoi and around Halong Bay. He didn't look at all out of place to me. But, then again, maybe those north Vietnamese just don't look Vietnamese (whatever that is)......

TrongpaiExpat
November 18th, 2008, 09:42
Last month I saw a young man selling ice cream. He has been a vendor for many years, he used to sell doughnuts, now he is wearing a rather large staw hat and has a voice you can hear as soon as he comes in the area. He is constantly smiling and saying a few good words to anyone who gets some ice cream from him. If you have been ensconced at Rits chairs, you will probably know who he is. Just a pleasant thougth of afternoons at the beach.

Ice-a-cream NA KA, Ice-a-cream NA KA. And, the walk, one hand palm up waving back and forth as he struts along.

Last time I was 'in chairs' I noticed this portly Dutch guy who would buy an ice cream from one of the younger boys and then have the young boy sit next to him and eat the ice cream as he watched. Strange.

andrewcraig
November 18th, 2008, 11:09

he used to give thai boys a giggle by calling out ice cream car which is what a lady would say

forgive my thai but i think a man says ice cream krub

he was such a lady

bao-bao
November 18th, 2008, 20:08
HereтАЩs another vote for BobтАЩs boat driver. I think the high cheekbones and the stronger jaw add to the exotic look and make for a very attractive combination.

This vendor has a similar look, and though he wasnтАЩt flashing his body his wandering back and forth on the beach that day were appreciated by at least one farang.

I know, I knowтАжto each their own, but I think overall heтАЩs more interesting than one of the white-powdered, spiky-hair guys. :cheers:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/albumpics/2742.jpg

November 18th, 2008, 22:14
I agree. He is very cute but he doesn't look the least bit Vietnamese. I would like to know his origins.

Huh? He looked a lot like most of the other guys I saw around Hanoi and around Halong Bay. He didn't look at all out of place to me. But, then again, maybe those north Vietnamese just don't look Vietnamese (whatever that is)......

. . I was in South Vietnam for 9 years and if most of the boys looked like your captain, I would never have left !! I think he is just beautiful. Just my cup of tea.

Please don't take my comments as argumentation. It's been 40 years since I spent that time there and I was in SOUTH Vietnam.

November 18th, 2008, 22:48
I was sitting outside in one of the cafes in some tourist town in Morocco. I was "way in" conversation with another tourist in this cafe, and a guy came up to me who spoke in Arabic, obviously local, asked me for a cigarette by waving his fingers in front of his mouth. I replied "sorry I don't have". He then continued pursuing asking me for a cigarette, I kept telling him in broken Arabic that I don't smoke, but he still kept asking and pursuing; taking on board I was having a conversation all the time this was going on; it might have sounded rude to him that I was having a conversation, I don't know. Anyway, still pursuing, he then asked for money for cigarettes. At this point, it was getting a little too much, as it was very difficult to make him understand. So I just said in the end "sorry, no to the money and I don't have cigarettes", politely of course. I was never ever rude to him.

He obviously knew he was getting nothing out of me, and wait for it, he then decided to call me every bad word ever invented. You mother???, bas????; even putting "you" in front of these words. His English was pretty good to me.

The morale of the story: well there various points one could bring to mind here.