PDA

View Full Version : Medical tourism tipped to fall

November 11th, 2008, 12:43
Like many medical centers in Asia, Bangkok's Bumrungrad Hospital had big expectations for a global trend known as medical tourism. Administrators were especially eager to attract more patients from the U.S. (BusinessWeek.com, 3/17/08) keen on saving money by having hip replacements, cosmetic surgery, and other operations overseas. For years, some of Asia's premier hospitals have been popular destinations for U.S. patients who either lack health insurance or can't get coverage for certain procedures. And recently there have been signs that insurance companies might start actively encouraging this trend to save on costs.

But Bumrungrad has been hit by a double whammy this year. First came the political unrest in Thailand, with anti-government protesters taking to the streets of Bangkok and constant rumors of a military coup. The prospect of instability seems to have discouraged would-be patients from making the trip. Even more worrisome for Bumrungrad management, the financial crisis has suddenly made the cost of travel to Thailand from the U.S. more of a stretch for many Americans who might have considered choosing the Bangkok hospital in the past. "We are not predicting robust growth," concedes an understated Curtis J. Schroeder, chief executive of Bumrungrad, who says the hospital will take the occasion to refurbish its rooms, as many hospital beds are empty. http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/c ... B+analysis (http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2008/gb2008119_406968.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_news+%2B+analysis)

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 11th, 2008, 18:23
wow..perhaps prices will fall even further..I could be due for a complete makeover. Alternatively..I know people now flocking to Budapest for superb dental work and the odd nip and tuck at even cheaper prices than Thailand..and from the UK..so cheap.

Brad the Impala
November 11th, 2008, 19:04
wow..perhaps prices will fall even further..I could be due for a complete makeover. Alternatively..I know people now flocking to Budapest for superb dental work and the odd nip and tuck at even cheaper prices than Thailand..and from the UK..so cheap.

I corrected you last time that you made this comment, about dental work in Budapest being cheaper than Thailand, but I see it didn't sink in, unlike The Colonels false teeth.

You can get your dental work done at the Bangkok Nursing Home for less than the cost charged by an average dental clinic in Budapest, and the quality of the work would be better in Thailand.

November 12th, 2008, 01:48
I corrected you last time that you made this comment, about dental work in Budapest being cheaper than Thailand, but I see it didn't sink in, unlike The Colonels false teethDoes anyone know the Thai for "pass me my teeth, I want to bite you"?

Sen Yai
November 12th, 2008, 20:02
But Bumrungrad has been hit by a double whammy this year. First came the political unrest in Thailand, with anti-government protesters taking to the streets of Bangkok and constant rumors of a military coup. The prospect of instability seems to have discouraged would-be patients from making the trip. Even more worrisome for Bumrungrad management, the financial crisis has suddenly made the cost of travel to Thailand from the U.S. more of a stretch for many Americans who might have considered choosing the Bangkok hospital in the past.

So, a few Thais in the streets waving plastic feet in the air combined with fares for 6000+ miles flightscosting a few hundred bucks more than a few years ago means that ugly Americans in need of hip-op's and/or tummy-tucks are staying home, and staying ugly.

It doesn't take much for Thailand to suffer from the West's economic pains too.

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 12th, 2008, 20:36
[quote="Lunchtime O'Booze":hdg4jq13]wow..perhaps prices will fall even further..I could be due for a complete makeover. Alternatively..I know people now flocking to Budapest for superb dental work and the odd nip and tuck at even cheaper prices than Thailand..and from the UK..so cheap.

I corrected you last time that you made this comment, about dental work in Budapest being cheaper than Thailand, but I see it didn't sink in, unlike The Colonels false teeth.

You can get your dental work done at the Bangkok Nursing Home for less than the cost charged by an average dental clinic in Budapest, and the quality of
the work would be better in Thailand.[/quote:hdg4jq13]

I set these little traps just to ensure you are reading..OK maybe you are correct on prices but why do you think quality would be better ??

Brad the Impala
November 12th, 2008, 21:49
Based on my and colleagues and friends experience of both. I ended up losing a tooth uneccessarily as result of incorrect advice/treatment from a recommended Budapest dentist.

If UK Dentist charges ┬г100, then Budapest Dentist charges ┬г50, and BNH charges ┬г25.

November 13th, 2008, 08:54
The "medical tourism" industry in Thailand is hugely tipped to other Asians (largely Arabs). I would not be too unhappy to see fewer women in black draperies with metal mouth guards at Bumrungrad.

francois
November 13th, 2008, 09:22
The "medical tourism" industry in Thailand is hugely tipped to other Asians (largely Arabs).

Not sure the Arabs would think of themselves as Asians.

November 13th, 2008, 09:31
The "medical tourism" industry in Thailand is hugely tipped to other Asians (largely Arabs).

Not sure the Arabs would think of themselves as Asians.

How they think of themselves is irrelevant. People from lands east of the Bosphorous are 100% Asian.

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 13th, 2008, 16:43
Based on my and colleagues and friends experience of both. I ended up losing a tooth uneccessarily as result of incorrect advice/treatment from a recommended Budapest dentist.

If UK Dentist charges ┬г100, then Budapest Dentist charges ┬г50, and BNH charges ┬г25.

I have a couple of friends who swear by the work they had in Budapest but like all things..you must get the right dentist. PersonallyI've had the best work for the price done in Pattaya..and intend having much more.

whatever hapened to UK dentists ?..15 years ago it was marvellous ( even though the dentists all seemed to be from New Zealand)now unless you go private it's a nightmare.

Fortunately Homintern has none of these problems...he has an excellent pair of wooden teeth found in a archaeological dig he worked on as a student. Marvelous...can chomp into anything..the rotten black look can put people off and splinters are a problem wth b/js but so what !