PDA

View Full Version : [b]Currency Exchange?[/b]

January 4th, 2006, 07:22
Please excuse my stupid question!

I am making my first trip to Thailand next month. I checked today about obtaining some Baht to take with me and the service fee is pretty expensive and the exchange rate is not good. I'm concerned about having some local currency right away, so that I can tip the driver who drives me to my motel, etc.

Am I safe to just wait and use my ATM card in the airport upon arrival. I have heard that there are plenty of ATM machines in the arrival area of the airport. Are they clearly marked and will I be able to locate them easily?

I told you it was a dumb question! I just want to make sure that I have some currency available to me RIGHT AWAY! :oops:

Should I buy some Baht to take with me or just wait to use the ATM machine at the airport?

Thanks for your help and advise.

Hobie

January 4th, 2006, 07:42
Hobie, maybe you should bring *some* baht with you, just in case the ATM system is down, but otherwise you can count on a good exchange rate from the ATMs not only in the airport, but around Thailand in general.

Also, just outside of immigrations is a currency exchange counter that gives a decent rate if you would rather use that as a backup.

I usually arrive at Terminal 2, and the ATMs there (if you turn left upon exiting the immigrations hall doors) are just beyond the point where you exit the secure area and into the welcoming arms of the taxi touts, to the left of the escalators, and just about opposite of the doors leading to the metered taxi queue. In Terminal 1, I'm not sure exactly where the ATMs, or the currency exchange counter, are.

(I'm assuming that your ATM card is a part of the PLUS or Cirrus networks. If not, it might be slim pickings to find an ATM that will accept your card.)

elephantspike
January 4th, 2006, 08:04
Also, just outside of immigrations is a currency exchange counter that gives a decent rate if you would rather use that as a backup.

Traveler's checks get a better exchange-rate than currency, and a better rate for larger denominations, so bring some $100 traveler's checks.

ATMs are all over the place in Bangkok. As long as your ATM/Debit card has a Visa symbol on it, I think pretty-much all of the ATMs will accept it. I wouldn't bother bringing Baht in. There's really no need.

daa raa
January 4th, 2006, 08:30
Travelers' checks do get a better rate than cash, but there is a 30 bhat regulation fee as well as a 3 baht duty stamp fee per check. There are no additional fees when exchanging cash, so the cash rate is always better when exchanging large bills($50 or $100).

January 4th, 2006, 09:25
I think it WOULD be worth bringing a few baht in as long as it's in small denominations - say 9 x 100b and 5 x 20b - though if all US exchange booths charge a hefty minimum commission this might not be attractive (the exchange rate is almost irrelevant on such a small total sum).

If you can't bring thai baht, there is an exchange booth just as you enter the public part of the arrival hall. As well as changing cash or travellers cheques, they will give you a cash advance on your credit/Debit card, and should be able to supply you with some small bills, which the ATMs may not (they are often limited to 1000s and 500s). If you do use an ATM, try asking for x thousand 900 baht. That will get you at least 4 100s if they are available.

When you return home take some small thai money with you for the next trip - but remember to pack it when you return!

January 4th, 2006, 09:49
Absoiutely not- don't think about buying baht at home. Bring some lovely pink dollars and change at the 24/7/365 exchange booths in the arrivals hall and make sure that they give you some small change. There are ATM's there but they will only dish out big notes. You can try and get some small notes out of them by asking for sat Bt4900 otherwise they always dish out By1000 notes.

I have yet to met anyone in Thailand who does not understand ATM and will direct you to one nearby.

manfarang-old
January 4th, 2006, 09:51
wowpow is correct - there really, really, REALLY is no need to bring baht to Thailand. Once you pass through BKK immigration and customs you will immediately find several money exchange booths which will provide you a far better exchange rate for your cash or travelers cheques than you will receive in your home country. A bit further on (past the waiting crowds and limo touts) are several ATMs which will accept foreign ATM cards. Sometimes I return to Thailand with some leftover baht, sometimes not, and I have never had a problem getting baht within 2 minutes of clearing customs.

January 4th, 2006, 14:28
I get free traveler's checks with my US bank account but am always charged a per check fee when depositing them in my Thai bank account. As the exchange rate is presently quite favorable I decided to make a large deposit in my Thai bank account to use for future trips. A requested large demonination AMEX traveler's checks from my bank and they ordered and supplied me with traveler's checks in the $1,000 denominations - I won't have to pay so many check fees and I will not have to stand and sign my name at the bank dozens of times.

January 4th, 2006, 15:04
I get free traveler's checks with my US bank account but am always charged a per check fee when depositing them in my Thai bank account. As the exchange rate is presently quite favorable I decided to make a large deposit in my Thai bank account to use for future trips. A requested large demonination AMEX traveler's checks from my bank and they ordered and supplied me with traveler's checks in the $1,000 denominations - I won't have to pay so many check fees and I will not have to stand and sign my name at the bank dozens of times.

Many banks offer free travelers for seniors. Check with your bank re age requirements. (They were free to Auto Club members but that may have changed.)
As buckaroo2 said, the per-check fee is same for large-denominination checks as for small, sign your name fewer times--And you need make fewer trips to the currency exchange, fewer times carrying your passport. But make sure your bank keeps the large denominations in stock; if they do not stock them, allow enough time for them to order them: about five working days but allow ten.
If you aren't convinced; also check with your bank re ATM exchange-rates and transaction fees. Many (quietly) increased transaction fees recently and changed the way they handle exchange rates. Transaction fees may be same rate as a cash advance: 3 to 5% with a minimum charge but no maximum cap; the exchange rate you receive may not be the same as was in effect at the time you hit the ATM. Customers were informed via one of those little--Changes to your accont agreement--leaflets we toss, unread. Generally speaking, it's more expensive now--And T'ck's, especially if you can get them free; are a better deal than ever.
And some card companies...I said 'some'... will freeze your card if it is used in a foreign country, unless you notify them where you will be & when.
Banks, and AmEx, charge a lot for those silly tip packs. The exch. rate at the airport is as good as at the bank, in town.
After saying all that, my advice: bring both--And a couple large, new bills: most currency exchanges won't accept small denominations or old bills: without the see-through thingie.

January 4th, 2006, 15:05
they supplied me with traveler's checks in the $1,000 denominations
You DO know how to spell my name, don't you 8)

2lz2p
January 5th, 2006, 14:06
Since this thread mentioned obtaining traveler's checks in $1,000 denominations to be brought to Thailand for deposit into a Thai bank, I thought I might pass on a word of caution if anyone should plan to carry more than $10,000 (total of currency, traveler's checks) with them when departing the U.S. US money laundering laws require any person carrying monetary instruments totaling over $10,000 to file a report with US Customs before departure - there is nothing illegal in transporting such amounts, but if it is not reported, it is subject to seizure and forfeiture. In addition, the law provides for imprisonment for not more than 10 years, and/or a fine up to $500,000 for failing to report, making a material misrepresentation in a report, or filing a false report.

Although I have not seen it often, I have observed Customs officers checking boarding passengers (I wouldn't suggest racial profiling, but I noticed they seemed to be stopping and questioning mostly certain ethnic groups) - just once did they stop me - asked my final destination and purpose of travel, and if I was carrying more than $10,000 - after answering, I proceeded down the jetway - however, I noticed that for some folks (as previously noted), the Customs officers looked throught their handcarry luggage.

I'm not sure, but I think Thailand also has a reporting requirement for bringing in or taking out similar amounts. So, if you are contemplating carrying that much with you, the risk of being caught is probably slim - but, why take the risk [note: if you obtain your traveler checks at one time in excess of $10,000 - the bank/auto club/etc. is required to make a similar report to the US Treasury Dept - another word of caution - if a person structures their transaction to avoid the bank/etc. filing the report, e.g. by making two or more smaller transactions within a short period of time, that is also a violation of the money laundering laws.

January 5th, 2006, 14:23
I'm not sure, but I think Thailand also has a reporting requirement for bringing in or taking out similar amounts.

Yes they do. Some Thai folks came for a visit this past summer ran into problems. I think it is the same: more than $10,000.