PDA

View Full Version : New Ibis Hotel Bangkok

yaraboy
November 6th, 2008, 20:03
It has been open for a while.................Anyone stayed there ? Comments???

TrongpaiExpat
November 6th, 2008, 20:27
I notice that often there's two or more huge tour buses parked under the bus awning with either Koren or Chinese writing on the sides.

You don't want to compete with package bus tour people at a breakfast buffet table.

The owner of a near-by restaurant though it would be a boom to his business but it appears these package people herds come late, already fed and watered and then they wait for the breakfast trough.

They also create quite a traffic problem when those buses come down soi Nahmdupree. They don't quite fit, so someone meets the bus at Rama 4 and walks in front of it with two flags as it takes two lanes. Traffic is stopped at the corner until it makes it into the parking lot.

November 6th, 2008, 23:04
I haven't stayed there but it is near my office.

Guess you'll get what you get at any Ibis. Basic medium sized room with modern decor.
Having said that, it's new so the rooms should be okay.
The location is not all that great as it is a bit of a walk to the MRT. No Skytrain around either. Although it should not be a problem finding motorbikes or taxis.
Not sure what the rates are, but I would think that it should be possible to get similar deals at better located hotels.

Cheers

kjun12
November 7th, 2008, 11:06
It has got to be one of the ugliest buildings around. They must have had a blind architect.

TrongpaiExpat
November 7th, 2008, 11:22
Lumpini MRT is only a 5 minute or so walk away (around the corner in Rama 4), and the skytrain is one stop away. The big drawback, as mentioned, is the traffic. There are plenty of taxis and M/c taxi though, and Babylon is just down the road, while four gay frendly eateries are very close by (not including the Malaysia coffee shop).

Four? Let's see:
O Ho's
Mali
Om Yim
Vincent's

Is that the 4 you had in mind?

There's also Lido, Trajai, Kenny's and next to Om Yim is this new place called Mu Mu Art House Cafe---a name like Mu Mu has to be gay. I pretty sure it gay farang owned.

November 7th, 2008, 16:18
It has got to be one of the ugliest buildings around. They must have had a blind architect.

I suspect it's "in-house". They have put up an equally ugly one close to my home in London. Having said that, I'll be using one on my business trip to Paris shortly as I did on the previous trip. Good enough for a few nights,and value for money, but not good enough for my precious holidays.