PDA

View Full Version : New Thai national football coach Visa fined after 30 days

lonelywombat
November 6th, 2008, 16:17
cut and post
http://www.bangkokpost.com/051108_Sport ... port29.php (http://www.bangkokpost.com/051108_Sports/05Nov2008_sport29.php)

Peter Reid was quite well-known to the football-crazy Thai fans before he was named as a head coach of the national team a month ago.

Most were full of new hope with the ultimate goal to qualify for the World Cup finals in 2014.

His first tournament was the T&T Cup in Vietnam last week.

But it was not such a good start even though his team beat World Cup hopefuls North Korea 1-0.

Many fans were shocked to hear Reid was fined 15,000 baht at Suvarnabhumi Airport when he tried to leave for Vietnam after overstaying his Thai visa.

It was unbelievable such a problem happened to a man who signed a four-year contract with the Kingdom for the biggest job in football here.

Maybe, he was not sure if he would get the position so just wanted the 30 day tourist visa to make sure

TIT

lo-so
November 6th, 2008, 20:02
Given that the maximum fine is 20K he presumably paid the 200 baht per day overstay - however this would suggest a 75 day overstay not just a month! Quite incredible that it was made public, one would have thought that phone calls would have been made to avoid this unless it was designed to act as a warning shot to those who do overstay their visa and to show transparency and fairness in immigration's treatment for all- lol.

November 6th, 2008, 23:16
That leaves me with the question why the guy comes to Thailand on a tourist Visa, works, earns money(presumably) and overstays his Visa
As far as I am concerned, great he got a fine.

It is not that difficult to get a proper Visa and work permit for Thailand with a company and relevant paperwork. I would think that the Thai National Football Association can get that done in a heartbeat.

I wonder if this was ignorance or arrogance or plain sloppy? In any case, if that's the professional approach the Football Association or the coach himself take, good luck with the target of qualifying for the World Cup 2014.... It's going to be a tough one, possibly quite entertaining.

And, before I forget, I'd be only too happy if the Thai National team do qualify

Cheers

November 7th, 2008, 01:36
It is not that difficult to get a proper Visa and work permit for Thailand with a company and relevant paperwork. I would think that the Thai National Football Association can get that done in a heartbeat.

I wonder if this was ignorance or arrogance or plain sloppy? And, before I forget, I'd be only too happy if the Thai National team do qualify

Cheers

Knowing a little something about what can sometimes be involved when a football coach takes up a position overseas, it would not have been particularly unusual for Peter Reid to have arrived in Thailand to take up his position, without first having acquired a work permit.

In answer to your question above gwmbkk, I would hazard a calculated guess and be prepared to back it up with a wager, that Peter Reid's situation, a situation that must have been an extremely embarrassing one for him, would have been caused by sheer utter sloppiness on the part of the Thai National Football Association and had nothing to do with Peter Reid whatsoever. I am also certain that the Thai NFA would have paid the 15,000 Baht overstay fee that was levied on him.

I am sure that most would agree that it was absolutely unbelievable what happened to Peter Reid at the airport, as well as finding it difficult to imagine that this could take place anywhere in the world. However, in this particular case, one must not loose touch with the very important fact, that TIT! http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/whistling-1.gif

It is a well known fact in the game, that Mr Reid is not the ideal person to get on the wrong side of, so let's hope he isn't too pissed off with what happened and as a result decides to bale out from his new appointment, before it has had a chance to barely begin. I say this as he is a great character, a tremendous competitor and an extremely fine coach and as I would also like to see Thailand qualify for the World Cup, I know that their chances of doing so will be enhanced tremendously, if Reidy is at the helm.

Cheers,

George.

Irish1972
November 7th, 2008, 05:26
While I agree he is not one to get on the wrong side of, I doubt he would leave over such a matter. I have had the pleasure of his company on a number of occasions and have worked with him once or twice and I believe he will laugh while telling this story.

November 8th, 2008, 01:10
While I agree he is not one to get on the wrong side of, I doubt he would leave over such a matter. I have had the pleasure of his company on a number of occasions and have worked with him once or twice and I believe he will laugh while telling this story.

I am quite sure you will be proved to be correct Irish, as one thing I left out about him above, is the fact that he also has a wonderful sense of humour, something I am sure that you will be well aware of.

Cheers,

George.

November 8th, 2008, 01:28
Given that the maximum fine is 20K he presumably paid the 200 baht per day overstay - however this would suggest a 75 day overstay not just a month! Quite incredible that it was made public, one would have thought that phone calls would have been made to avoid this unless it was designed to act as a warning shot to those who do overstay their visa and to show transparency and fairness in immigration's treatment for all- lol.

Overstay is long time already 500 per day - means 15.000 Baht is 30 days overstay. Lucky if he get not black listed.
How many guys staying in Thailand with more days overstay?

lo-so
November 8th, 2008, 01:40
gaydestination - you are quite right at 500 Baht per day to a maximum of 20k. With respect to lengths of overstays thaivisa.com provides quite a few accounts- one being of an 11 year overstay- fine 20k and readmitted to Thailand. It seems that so long as the individual "surrenders" themselves (at the airport) the matter is resolved via a fine however being caught without a visa is a distinctly different story involving a stay at the Immigration detention center, eventual deportation and being blacklisted.