PDA

View Full Version : Any New Restaurants in Bangkok?

adman5000
November 6th, 2008, 09:10
It has been a while since I have seen any recent restaurant reviews for Bangkok on the forum. Does anyone have any recent good-great experiences?

bing
November 6th, 2008, 09:19
Richards is not new but is very well situated off Silom by God Disco. It is very clean and well run and you will be well taken care of. I have heard some of the boys on this forum did not like it, but it is an above average bar and restaurant. Most of the customers are gay and you will have a good meal and a good time. I sure did. The manager will probably stop by and check if all is to your liking.

November 6th, 2008, 09:33
Maxis down Soi Twilight. Pricey

Smiles
November 6th, 2008, 12:06
Maxis down Soi Twilight. Pricey
Could you tell us just how pricey? In Thai 'Bahat' please.

Cheers ...

November 6th, 2008, 12:08
... it is an above average bar and restaurantThat sets the bar appalling low for "average"

TrongpaiExpat
November 6th, 2008, 12:34
Maxis is not all that expensive, oh maybe compared to street vendors it's more but priced within a reasonable range given the quality and the ambiance. Last time I checked they were slightly under the standard Dick's Cafe prices.

November 6th, 2008, 12:36
Maxis is not all that expensive, oh maybe compared to street vendors it's more but priced within a reasonable range given the quality and the ambiance. Last time I checked they were slightly under the standard Dick's Cafe prices.Was the food any better - not that one goes to Dick's for the food, but the fried rice is about all I'd bother with there?

TrongpaiExpat
November 6th, 2008, 12:43
Maxis is not all that expensive, oh maybe compared to street vendors it's more but priced within a reasonable range given the quality and the ambiance. Last time I checked they were slightly under the standard Dick's Cafe prices.Was the food any better - not that one goes to Dick's for the food, but the fried rice is about all I'd bother with there?

Better?, well, it all subjective, but for me Maxis is better for both the farang options and Thai. Though, I do like the unique way Dick's makes pad thai. The seats are more comfortable at Maxis.

Smiles
November 7th, 2008, 08:58
" ... I do like the unique way Dick's makes pad thai ... "
Thank you Trongpai, that kudo will get me there sooner or later.

My two main food quests are for The World's Best Pad Thai and The World's Best Tirimasu. I thought I'd found the Pad Thai part (here in Hua Hin at the Corner Restaurant), but Mr Pot stirred up a batch last week that ranked right up there. The great Tirimasu Hunt is, fortunately, still on.

Dick's, here I come. (Am I the only gay man in Thailand who's never been to Dick's?)

Cheers ...

Bob
November 7th, 2008, 09:18
Am I the only gay man in Thailand who's never been to Dick's?

That'd be my guess. Been there several times. And with a name like "Dicks", ya gotta go sometime! :clown:

[And if Pot is becoming the primo pad thai preparer, I'm hoping he'll wear a chef's hat at the beach this winter.]

TrongpaiExpat
November 7th, 2008, 11:08
Dick's Pad Thai is not the usual noodle stir-fry mix. They envelope the noodles in a thin blended egg mix. You then can plate stir the whole mess if you want or not but you end up with a lot more egg than normal.

On my street there's a Pad Thai vendor 30B or 40B with chicken that's not bad and the vendor guy is not bad looking.

For me the best Pad Thai in Bangkok is at this Thai style open shop house restaurant that is located across from Home Pro at Phloen Chit BTS. He uses a huge steel wok and gives you a choice of meat(s). You can see the place as you exit from the elevated walkway in the direction of Home Pro, on your left.

November 7th, 2008, 20:51
I am not a Tiramisu fan, but the Tiramisu at the Poseidon in Pattaya is worth trying-- very light and creamy. I usually have a bite of my friend's when we dine there.

November 7th, 2008, 23:44
" ... I do like the unique way Dick's makes pad thai ... "
Thank you Trongpai, that kudo will get me there sooner or later.

My two main food quests are for The World's Best Pad Thai and The World's Best Tirimasu. I thought I'd found the Pad Thai part (here in Hua Hin at the Corner Restaurant), but Mr Pot stirred up a batch last week that ranked right up there. The great Tirimasu Hunt is, fortunately, still on.

Dick's, here I come. (Am I the only gay man in Thailand who's never been to Dick's?)

Cheers ...

You aren't the only gay man who's never been to Dick's Smiles, but perhaps we are the only two who haven't. With regard to the Tirimasu, I will try and arrange for you to sample one next month, that I think you will have a pretty hard job finding the equal of. I will keep you in suspense for now on that one. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/wink_smile.gif

Cheers,

George.

danny99
November 11th, 2008, 14:08
I am not a Tiramisu fan, but the Tiramisu at the Poseidon in Pattaya is worth trying-- very light and creamy. I usually have a bite of my friend's when we dine there.

Real Tiramisu should be made with Amoretto [Italian almond liqueur], outside of Italy it is more common with rum, a totally different taste. The Amoretto one can finish a bit soggy but eat it with a spoon if necessary it tastes wonderful!