PDA

View Full Version : A question about tips . . .

November 5th, 2008, 08:36
No, not that kind!

What do you feel is a reasonable tip to leave for the wait staff at breakfast for a free buffet at your hotel? This would be for a Bangkok hotel in the $75 a night room range, and though the breakfast is a buffet, several people serve you bringing the hot portions of your meal, coffee, etc.

I know the majority of guest leave no tip. And though I do not want to overtip, I'd hate to be leaving such a small amount that it is almost as bad as leaving nada.

Also, what do you feel is reasonable for tipping the bell hop at check in who carries your bag(s) to your room? On this one I tend to overtip (I think) because word spreads quickly among the staff that you are a good tipper and the service level for the rest of your stay tends to be a bit higher than normal then.

Lastly, how about daily maid service - I usually leave this tip for the length of the stay at checkout since regardless of what amount I leave laying out day to day, it is never touched.

And, btw, I found a use for 1 & 2 baht coins besides dropping them in beggars' cups - MBK charges 2 baht for use of their restrooms - Thai guys seem to have tiny bladders and visit the restrooms several times during a stroll thru the mall.

francois
November 5th, 2008, 08:50
No, not that kind!

And, btw, I found a use for 1 & 2 baht coins besides dropping them in beggars' cups - MBK charges 2 baht for use of their restrooms - Thai guys seem to have tiny bladders and visit the restrooms several times during a stroll thru the mall.

I collect 1 baht coins and at end of stay give them to mothers with babys who beg.

November 5th, 2008, 08:57
Begging Babies?
There's a Kodak moment.

Sorry, cheap shot - but i couldn't resist . . .

Now I do miss the begging dogs that became the fashion around the MBK skytrain pathways a few years ago . . .

November 5th, 2008, 09:06
In my opinion you give them a tip at the end of the last meal; if you've had six or seven breakfasts there over the week I guess 150 or 200 baht may be about right (and I'll put on my asbestos jacket for the flaming to begin).

dorayme
November 5th, 2008, 09:15
I believe tips should be given on a daily basis as you may not always have the same waiters.

The buffet really isn't free. Why not tip a percent of the value or 20 Baht minimum.

neddy3
November 5th, 2008, 09:55
"The majority of guests leave no tip", you tell us. So what does that tell you?

20B daily is enough.

November 5th, 2008, 09:55
Leave 20 Bahat note everytime you eat guys. These guys make only about 200 Bahat a day. Be generous at least when you are on vacation guys

francois
November 5th, 2008, 10:28
Begging Babies?
There's a Kodak moment.
Sorry, cheap shot - but i couldn't resist . . .
Now I do miss the begging dogs that became the fashion around the MBK skytrain pathways a few years ago . . .

As I walk through the Wat Chai grounds the mothers or grannies bring their b├йb├йs to me. Fran├зois le roi des pauvres.

dab69
November 5th, 2008, 11:49
maybe the Thai guys frequenting the restroom are looking for excitement
they aren't finding *elsewhere*...

a tip left at the hotel room before checkout
might not go to the ladies that clean your room daily.
I leave 50bt daily at least on the bed and find it
missing everyday. doubt if I get any better cleaning though.
just nice to leave a little.

upon arrival at least 100 bt to the bellboy.

cute waiter might get 300-500bt tip at the hotel.
he will be there regularly. hehehehe

once had a DJ bartender follow me into the restroom
after such an outrageous tip, but I chickened out.

November 5th, 2008, 12:29
I always hand the tip directly to the person I want to have it. Leaving a tip at the end of your stay usually means the tips do not end up with the service people. I have found especially with the maids that the service is much better once you have shown them you appreciate them. If I miss seeing maids one day I will double the tip the next day. As for beggars if they are disabled I do tip them but I hnd the tip to the boy I am with and let them tip. I have a hard time tipping the women I see with babies as I know most time the babies are not thers but only ones they have rented for the day (there was an article on this). Especially now with times so hard for working and non working thias it is critical to be a little more charitable.

November 5th, 2008, 12:30
I usually tip 200 bhat a day for my maid at the hotel. I always find that my room gets "freshened" after every outing, and towels constantly restocked. For meals, I'm not sure what's appropriate.

November 5th, 2008, 12:36
some great information here but you have to sign in.
http://pattayapassion.19.forumer.com/vi ... .php?t=130 (http://pattayapassion.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=130)

November 5th, 2008, 12:38
I usually tip 200 bhat a day for my maid at the hotel. I always find that my room gets "freshened" after every outing, and towels constantly restocked. For meals, I'm not sure what's appropriate.As that's probably close to her daily wage, I'm not surprised

neddy3
November 5th, 2008, 13:35
I usually tip 200 bhat a day for my maid at the hotel. I always find that my room gets "freshened" after every outing, and towels constantly restocked. For meals, I'm not sure what's appropriate.

Absolute madness.

Wonder where some Thais get the idea that falangs have unlimited resources of money.

dorayme
November 5th, 2008, 13:45
It really isn't good to over tip. A reasonable amount is enough. It might mean Thai service people will rush to wait on Farang and overlook service to Thai and breed resentment from the Thai. Over tipping also leads to unreasonable expectations of Farang.

I was with a Farang who tipped the waiter 200B. Afterward other members of the party mentioned they felt a loss of face because their tip had not been so grand.

20 Baht is usually enough. It means a bowl of soup for the Thai.

markie1
November 5th, 2008, 14:06
I useually Leave 20 Baht if just having a Cofee, after dinner useually leave between 50 and 100. Bell Boy 40. to me thats reasonable, you must remember that these people only earn about 200 Baht a day , I also leave my maida tip at the end of my stay in the hotel.
If you hand the person the tip rather than put it inside the Cheque wallet they are allowed to keep it ,so if you have had good service pass it on to the person that actually gave you that service.

allieb
November 5th, 2008, 20:57
Tipping is for receiving a good service. I always tip the chambermaid 500 Baht per stay (7 to 10days) as its a lousy job and alawys done.

Buffet Breakfasts at the hotel something at the end of my stay to the ones who deserved it.
I always stay at the Chin House Bangkok and the staff know me so they know what to expect.

Bell boy 50 baht for the bags 100 if I have a lot of hat boxes

Restautants are a different thing If I have received a bad meal or had bad service then the amount they get is NOTHING.

If I have had good service and a good meal 10% If the service is good but the meal is only ok 5% and I dont go back .

November 6th, 2008, 02:36
I useually Leave 20 Baht if just having a Cofee, after dinner useually leave between 50 and 100. Bell Boy 40. to me thats reasonable, you must remember that these people only earn about 200 Baht a day , I also leave my maida tip at the end of my stay in the hotel.They must love you!

Dick
November 6th, 2008, 04:54
After 5yrs of reprimands from my Thai boyfriend, I can tell you with some certainty what he has told me for 99% of occasions.
TWENTY BAHT ENOUGH!
That 1% was for example, a 100B tip to the boy who paddled our sea canoe all day for us off the coast of Phuket.

Thai people do not believe it right to tip someone for doing their job. It has become a Western custom to tip, and because of the custom in America to tip 15-20% of the bill, it can sometimes lead to over expectation or embarrassment as has already been remarked.

I leave 20 Baht daily for the maid who cleans up in our hotel room.
I give the bellboy 20B per suitcase when we check-in to a hotel.
I don't leave a tip for a buffet meal.
I leave a 20B tip when I pay the bar or restaurant bill; 50B if good service and the bill amount significant.
I give a beggar in the street small coins up to 10B of if no small coins then 10B tops; but I give to 1 beggar (only) every day. Even poor Thai people give to beggars!

But whenever the bill comes, I am now conditioned to think TWENTY BAHT ENOUGH! and you should be guided accordingly with only minor modification from a Western conscience.

November 6th, 2008, 05:50
I useually Leave 20 Baht if just having a Cofee, after dinner useually leave between 50 and 100. Bell Boy 40. to me thats reasonable, you must remember that these people only earn about 200 Baht a day , I also leave my maida tip at the end of my stay in the hotel.They must love you!

I agree whit markie 1, i tip about the same.

1PR4BKK
November 6th, 2008, 06:49
After 5yrs of reprimands from my Thai boyfriend, I can tell you with some certainty what he has told me for 99% of occasions.
TWENTY BAHT ENOUGH!
That 1% was for example, a 100B tip to the boy who paddled our sea canoe all day for us off the coast of Phuket.

Thai people do not believe it right to tip someone for doing their job. It has become a Western custom to tip, and because of the custom in America to tip 15-20% of the bill, it can sometimes lead to over expectation or embarrassment as has already been remarked.

I leave 20 Baht daily for the maid who cleans up in our hotel room.
I give the bellboy 20B per suitcase when we check-in to a hotel.
I don't leave a tip for a buffet meal.
I leave a 20B tip when I pay the bar or restaurant bill; 50B if good service and the bill amount significant.
I give a beggar in the street small coins up to 10B of if no small coins then 10B tops; but I give to 1 beggar (only) every day. Even poor Thai people give to beggars!

But whenever the bill comes, I am now conditioned to think TWENTY BAHT ENOUGH! and you should be guided accordingly with only minor modification from a Western conscience.

I agree with you Dick. I guess I was one of those folks who believed the 20% gratuity rule applied across the board globally.

Whenever I would leave 50THB or more for waiters, my boyfriend would always pick it up and only leave 20THB. I used to feel embarrassed by this but he would also say, тАЬBaby 20 baht is enough. You always give too much.тАЭ For hotel staff, I give tips directly to the individual(s) I feel deserve it on a daily basis.

For the exception of cruise ship vacations, I never wait until the end of the stay to give a lump sum tip, as I do not know if the funds will find its way to the intended staff members.

November 6th, 2008, 06:54
Fatman what is too much or not is not determined by scale of their wages. It is based on the quality of live you want to live, the quality service you want and how you compensate that. Please do not judge them by the scale of third world countries citizen should be treated by you like a thrid calss citizens. As foreigners who are fortunate in many ways and if we need to re-claim our American Dream of being viewed by the world as kind and considerate people, dno't poke your your 2 cents by suggesting to people who want to give more by suggesting that it is too much. Don't protect your interest. Don't think it will raise the market standards. Be constructive and promote good will amonst the people who are tolerating us

November 6th, 2008, 09:36
So in short you agree with me Fatman

November 6th, 2008, 12:15
Whenever I would leave 50THB or more for waiters, my boyfriend would always pick it up and only leave 20THB.One of the mem'sahibs used to chip me about not leaving tips and I had to educate him that a tip is for good service, not no service. As I've said before, you need to check bills carefully these days for the "standard service charge" which means the "compulsory tip" and make sure you don't tip on top of that (unless the service was spectacular)

TrongpaiExpat
November 6th, 2008, 12:21
As I've said before, you need to check bills carefully these days for the "standard service charge" which means the "compulsory tip" and make sure you don't tip on top of that (unless the service was spectacular)

Yes, I am seeing that more and more and not easy to notice. Put your specks on, find some light source and ignore the waiter that points out the total and stands there waiting. Then when you get change and there's a lot of small bills when there need not be, ignore that too, unless you want to tip more.

November 6th, 2008, 12:29
As I've said before, you need to check bills carefully these days for the "standard service charge" which means the "compulsory tip" and make sure you don't tip on top of that (unless the service was spectacular)Yes, I am seeing that more and more and not easy to notice. Put your specks on, find some light source and ignore the waiter that points out the total and stands there waiting. Then when you get change and there's a lot of small bills when there need not be, ignore that too, unless you want to tip more.All in Thai - just check the sub-totals that have a % next to them. 7% is the VAT, anything else (usually 10%) is the service charge. Whether the waiters actually get it is anyone's guess

markie1
November 6th, 2008, 12:40

I agree whit markie 1, i tip about the same.

I forgot to say i give my loose change to people who need it ,my boyfriend always tips the less fortunate peoople useually old or desabled sat on the streets also.
And one particular guy that is very Disabled that sells his chewing gum every night sat on steps on The beech road heading towards walking street,always has a great smile for everey one ,i dont take is chewing gum but i always give him a 100 baht, he is there every night making a few Baht selling his gum, and to me some one like this deserves a helping hand ,been physically disabled and still trying to make a living .

November 6th, 2008, 13:08
as well as having to support the people who organise the begging rackets. must be hard now with the price of petrol, driving around delivering all the babies to the beggars

November 6th, 2008, 15:20
Housekeeping 100B per day
Restaurants 15-20%

Why? Because I can. And because I want to. NOT bragging. I believe in sharing my good fortune. I have no agenda. Do what makes you happy.

Daxus

November 6th, 2008, 16:10
I am expressing my opinion, as you and others do. As a very long term resident in Thailand, with some experience in the hospitality business, my opinions result from that experience. Of course, the recipient of a large tip will be very happy, but most staff don't expect large tips and large tips form some perhaps unrealistic expectations of what future tips should be. As noted above, Thais (I'm talking middle class here) are not big tippers and tipping was something introduced here by foreigners. In some (only some) places, such as the gay bars in Soi 4, staff can almost double their income through tips, as happens in some hotels.

Incidentally the British Foreign Office in its tourist information guide states that Thai people are not used to tipping and therefore it should only be done for exceptional service.

Strangely in UK one should not tip a barman in a Pub yet our American friends (who are visitors) almost always do - and quite handsomely!

November 6th, 2008, 16:47
Why? Because I can. And because I want to. NOT bragging. I believe in sharing my good fortune. I have no agenda. Do what makes you happy.I have a friend who does bare-backing. That's his philosophy too.

francois
November 6th, 2008, 22:39
Beaucoup excuses for not tipping given here. Borrowed b├йb├йs; begging rackets; Thais don't tip; Brits don't tip at Pub; 20 Baht=Enough. My not give the best reason? Just too cheap; Thai not same same farang.

lo-so
November 6th, 2008, 23:05
It reminds me somewhat of who first hears the cuckoo of the season - I think that high season must be here as holiday makers have money to burn in their pockets and are no doubt displaying how generous they are- oh to be again someone who subscribes to that view!

Dick
November 7th, 2008, 02:43
A couple of months back I was in a highly recommended restaurant in Paris. Not my usual standard you understand, but I was entertaining and the Company was paying! When the waiter brought the bill I asked whether service was included.
Yes he said; the service is included, but the tip isn't! I thought he put it across rather well!

November 7th, 2008, 07:42
A couple of months back I was in a highly recommended restaurant in Paris. Not my usual standard you understand, but I was entertaining and the Company was paying! When the waiter brought the bill I asked whether service was included.
Yes he said; the service is included, but the tip isn't! I thought he put it across rather well!

You tip 20 bath ? :flower:

November 7th, 2008, 08:11
Yes he said; the service is included, but the tip isn't! What was the difference (as he explained it to you)?

November 7th, 2008, 08:35
Yes he said; the service is included, but the tip isn't! What was the difference (as he explained it to you)?

Again 20 bath ?

November 7th, 2008, 09:49
but why so many baths? a shower is so much easier

November 7th, 2008, 14:53
Curious,

Your point being?

November 7th, 2008, 15:03
gra45,

Done. You do realize that there are tests involved? Hit me up when you're in town.

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 7th, 2008, 19:42
No, not that kind!

I collect 1 baht coins and at end of stay give them to mothers with babys who beg.

are you sure you can afford it ?. Remember, each time you drop 1 baht in that cup your karma rises one millionth of 1% of a centimetre. Even worse..you risk being re-born as the baby holding the cup ! :cyclopsani:

November 8th, 2008, 00:02
Curious,

Your point being?

None whatsoever in all probability Daxus, other of course than displaying what a total prick he is. When he chooses, he shows himself to be in a class of his own in that particular field, well with the exception of a certain feline character that is..

I personally treated his post with the contempt I felt it deserved, but as you posted in response to it, I felt your question deserved the one and only honest answer there is to it, so have provided it above for you.

Cheers,

George.

francois
November 8th, 2008, 00:21
No, not that kind!

are you sure you can afford it ?. Remember, each time you drop 1 baht in that cup your karma rises one millionth of 1% of a centimetre. Even worse..you risk being re-born as the baby holding the cup ! :cyclopsani:

Non, Non, Non!! I save many 1 baht coins and have hundreds of coins to give at end of stay. I give a sac/purse of 50 coins to each mommy and b├йb├й. Also to older brother! Nothing cheap about Fran├зois.

francois
November 8th, 2008, 00:25
Housekeeping 100B per day
Restaurants 15-20%
Why? Because I can. And because I want to. NOT bragging. I believe in sharing my good fortune. I have no agenda. Do what makes you happy.
Daxus

Good response! Bravo to you, Daxus.