PDA

View Full Version : Marriage to a young Thai man?

foodforthought
November 4th, 2008, 21:36
Can anyone answer this?
If you took a Thai boy on holiday to Spain, and you got married there, is the marriage then recognize by another country.
I live in Thailand, but would I be able to take him back to visit my own country of origin.
What about the visa, would he get one because of being my spouse.

Brad the Impala
November 4th, 2008, 21:39
Is your country of origin also a member of the EU, and do they recognize civil partnerships?

foodforthought
November 4th, 2008, 21:49
Brad the Impala,
In answer to your questions,
Is your country of origin also a member of the EU, and do they recognize civil partnerships?
Yes to both.

Brad the Impala
November 4th, 2008, 22:19
Then having "married" in Spain your partnership would also be valid in your own country. This doesn't guarantee a spouse visa, but if you can show that you are both settled in Thailand, you shouldn't have a problem. You might even think of marrying in the Embassy of your country of origin in Spain.

Your Bf's visa for your holiday in Spain would in any case be likely to be a Schengen visa, that is valid in all EU countries except I think UK and Ireland, which would make travel between the countries visa free.

www.theschengenoffice.com/explained/schengen_visa.html (http://www.theschengenoffice.com/explained/schengen_visa.html)

November 4th, 2008, 22:44
... recognise your marriage, you will be entitled to apply to live in "your" country of origin, even with your bf, you will be treated the same as any other "couple". However, each country has their own laws on bringiing spouses into the country. Don't believe for one minute it will be easy. If you are UK resident and you marry a Thai in Spain, you will still have to go through the relevant channels to gain access to the UK for visa. It is not automatic. Just because you marry, doesn't give you an automatic right to live in the UK, no matter what sex you are. That's the UK for you, I do believe other European countries are different if not easier to gain access. The UK has toughened up its immigration laws even recently.

Also, from the UK, one can apply for a marriage visa. In the news today (BBC), they are tightening up on this law, see the link below which means "they" have to be 21.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7708305.stm

Also take on board, once married, in effect, what is there's is yours and what is yours is there's - erm!!

Uranus
November 5th, 2008, 00:54
Same sex marriages are only recognised in the six countries (The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Canada, South Africa, Norway) that to day accept so called gay marriages.

A marriage between a UK citizen and a Thai citizen in Spain will have no legal implications outside Spain (or possibly the six countries mentioned). And I am not sure if two foreigners can enter a gay marriage in Spain at all.

Brad the Impala
November 5th, 2008, 01:23
Same sex marriages are only recognised in the six countries (The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Canada, South Africa, Norway) that to day accept so called gay marriages.

A marriage between a UK citizen and a Thai citizen in Spain will have no legal implications outside Spain (or possibly the six countries mentioned). And I am not sure if two foreigners can enter a gay marriage in Spain at all.

Same sex marriages are recognised in more countries than you have listed, UK, Sweden, Denmark for example, see link for details on individual European Countries.

Foodforthought has already said that he is a national of another EU country that does recognize CPs, therefore the marriage will have legal status in his country. CPs are also legal in Spain between foreigners, although as in most countries, there may have to be a prior period of residence.

www.ilga-europe.org/europe/issues/marriage_and_partnership/marriage_and_partnership_rights_for_same_sex_partn ers_country_by_country (http://www.ilga-europe.org/europe/issues/marriage_and_partnership/marriage_and_partnership_rights_for_same_sex_partn ers_country_by_country)

www.rainbownetwork.com/UserPortal/Article/Detail.aspx?ID=16979&sid=5 (http://www.rainbownetwork.com/UserPortal/Article/Detail.aspx?ID=16979&sid=5)

November 5th, 2008, 03:16
Same sex marriages are recognised in more countries than you have listed, UK, Sweden, Denmark for example, see link for details on individual European Countries.I thought the UK only had civil partnerships. Are you saying they'll recognise a gay marriage from another country to be a true marriage in their own country? Or your're saying that they'll recognise a gay marriage in another country as a civil partnership in their own country?

November 5th, 2008, 08:40
and would not be recognized in the U.S. even for tourist visas. Even if you were only visiting states that have gay marraige such as California (which could change after today's voting anyway)

November 5th, 2008, 10:00
If you plan to marry the guy whom I guess is the "one" and if he worked down Soi Twilight, you better re-visit your decision?

November 5th, 2008, 21:16
Same sex marriages are recognised in more countries than you have listed, UK, Sweden, Denmark for example, see link for details on individual European Countries.I thought the UK only had civil partnerships. Are you saying they'll recognise a gay marriage from another country to be a true marriage in their own country? Or your're saying that they'll recognise a gay marriage in another country as a civil partnership in their own country?

Under the UK Civil Partnership law any legally binding "gay marriage", "civil partnership", or the equivalent, is recognised as a Civil Partnership under UK law. The problem is that many countries will not perform such partnerships/marriages, etc, for foreigners and they all apply different regulations - in some one partner has to be a national, in others the period of residence is as short as 7 days, while in others it can be up to a year. I have no idea of the Spanish regulations, but would expect that you would require the correct documentation (Certificates of No Impediment, translated and certified, for both parties) and visas to register a marriage in Spain.

Without knowing what your "own country of origin" is, it is impossible for anyone to answer your question.

November 5th, 2008, 21:19
deleted - dual post

foodforthought
November 6th, 2008, 22:28
I would just like to thank you all for your reply, you have all been very helpful, thank you so much.

November 7th, 2008, 02:33
Foodforthought

You don't state your country of origin, but if it is the UK, the following may be of interest.
I have a Thai woman who cleans for me and she is married to an Englishman, both by civil and Buddhist ceremonies.
Although she has a visa to stay in the UK, it is not a permanent one.
She is trying to obtain residency but has to undergo English classes and pass some kind of test before this will be issued.
She has been married to her English husband for three years now.

With the above in mind I wouldn't like to say how easy or difficult it is to obtain one with a CP to a young Thai boy, but I would tend to lean towards the difficult.

November 7th, 2008, 22:57
... I wouldn't like to say how easy or difficult it is to obtain one with a CP to a young Thai boy

Then why have you?

Your cleaner also has to be resident in the UK for a minimum of two years, which appears not to be the case.

There is no differentiation between a "young Thai boy" on a registered CP or an old Thai wife on a marriage certificate. Pass the test, stay for two years, then apply for residency and then nationality.

November 8th, 2008, 01:40
With the above in mind I wouldn't like to say how easy or difficult it is to obtain one with a CP to a young Thai boy, but I would tend to lean towards the difficult.Yes, a civil partnership with a six years old (young Thai boy) would be somewhat difficult to achieve

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 8th, 2008, 12:16
what are the laws on civil ceremonies in Spain ?

I do have a good friend in Pattaya who married his Thai boyfriend in Wembley in the UK so he could ensure he received his estate when he eventually joins Buddha. But he made sure his will was written up in England and left with a trusted lawyer.