PDA

View Full Version : a few random Bangkok notes

TrongpaiExpat
November 1st, 2008, 12:37
I dropped in Hero a few days ago after visiting both B and N and The Body Club and not seeing anything I wanted. I have not been in Hero in a few years. There have been some renovations. The reception area is expanded and there are some new nice rooms with nice en suit showers that I was told were renovated last month. The old sauna area that has not been operational in years is also under renovations. The boys, a lot, are still behind glass. You go in and have a seat, someone brings you water and they leave you alone. You can sit there as long as you want. You have to call the captain, same guy that has been there for years, if you want to pick a boy and book a massage. Hero is still very much a local's sauna. I was told they don't get more than a hand full of farang customers per month. I guess farangs just don't venture far from Silom. They were quite busy.

I went to the Babylon Halloween foam party last night. It was well attended and they had a show of sorts. Pretty much the same show they had last year but the dancing boys in speedos were all quite nice and they all stayed around after a few dance performances cruising the facilities. The Thai attendance numbers were high vrs farang for a change. Heavy rain on the foam turned it into more of a soup party.

Dream boys has reworked the show. I kept telling everyone that the sex shows would return when the customers number came up and they have. There's a lot of new boys as well. The new show is a reworking of the same routines. There's a new strange airplane slap stick routine that did give me a chuckle or two rather than the usual, 'what the hell is that' response. Drinks still at 250 and off's at 500.

Maxis is doing so well that most of the outside seats are filled many nights with the spill over going over to Dick's, the one next door or the one just as you enter the soi.

The X group bars all have been doing various contests that just drag on and on. All in Thai, photos and announcements after announcements of inane rules and awards speeches.

Soi 4 had a Halloween party of sorts but heavy rain kept the numbers low and may have put a damper on what was planed.

Classic boys and Siam boys have have drinks priced at 200B with reduced prices for seconds and I guess thirds. You can make a deal.

November 1st, 2008, 12:51
Classic boys and Siam boys have have drinks priced at 200B with reduced prices for seconds and I guess thirds. You can make a deal.I'm still waiting for a "buy one, get one free" offer. You'd think the bars might consider a graduated off fee earlier the week; that might bring some punters out, or induce those already in a bar to consider taking someone off

krobbie
November 1st, 2008, 13:01
... you and I both know that is far too rational and sensible to be thought a good idea on these soi. You know that less people equals higher prices to make up for the shortfall.

I have always thought volume and bums in seats were the best idea. More sensibly priced drinks ultimately means bigger dollars at the end of the night. If the bar is full that must equal great value and so even more people come.

But there you go. Hike the prices and get fewer customers???????

Buggered if I know the thought process behind these bars.

Cheers
krobbie

November 1st, 2008, 15:07
Classic boys and Siam boys have have drinks priced at 200B with reduced prices for seconds and I guess thirds. You can make a deal.I'm still waiting for a "buy one, get one free" offer. You'd think the bars might consider a graduated off fee earlier the week; that might bring some punters out, or induce those already in a bar to consider taking someone off

as they say in Pattaya - BOGOF!

painai2
November 1st, 2008, 18:28
What I like most about Hero is that the boys work out in the gym area while you sit in the waiting area. I hate those places where the boys stand in a semi circle waiting for you to make your selection. It's far more relaxing at Hero's. You can take your time is choosing or not choosing someone. It has less of a feeling of a meat rack, even though it is.

November 1st, 2008, 19:29
The gay go-go bars in Thailand have always charged a great deal more for drinks than their straight counterparts. Why this is so I don't really know as service etc., is much the same, except of course for the gender. I have always wondered why 'gays' always seem to take advantage of 'gays'. Business is of course business, but the question still remains! Perhaps some of you can comment.............

adman5000
November 1st, 2008, 19:44
Thanks for the review.
Is the 500 baht off fee just at Dream Boy or other bars as well?
Have you visited Screwboys, Future Boys, or Solid Bar recently. I was wondering how things are looking at the bars for the upcoming high season. I will be visiting soon and will try to give a detailed report on the bars I visit.

TrongpaiExpat
November 1st, 2008, 19:44
The gay go-go bars in Thailand have always charged a great deal more for drinks than their straight counterparts. Why this is so I don't really know as service etc., is much the same, except of course for the gender. I have always wondered why 'gays' always seem to take advantage of 'gays'. Business is of course business, but the question still remains! Perhaps some of you can comment.............

Yes, but the ladies expect more with a short time tip and many are looking for long term deals leading to an Issan marriage, a few ha sip ha sip rug rats, a house in Issan for the extended family and oh yes, a good Thai will.

TrongpaiExpat
November 1st, 2008, 19:58
Thanks for the review.
Is the 500 baht off fee just at Dream Boy or other bars as well?
Have you visited Screwboys, Future Boys, or Solid Bar recently. I was wondering how things are looking at the bars for the upcoming high season. I will be visiting soon and will try to give a detailed report on the bars I visit.

I am not sure if all the soi Twilight bars are charging 500 for an off, I suspect not. Weekend pricing is sometimes different from weekdays. Ask the door tout before you enter and prices are not really that fixed.

Future boys had a recent change of ownership and did better for a while, I have not been there in a few months.

I have not been to Screw boys or Solid recently either, someone else will have to report and lets hope there is an upcoming high season this year. I would just be happy if the dam rain would stop.

Take a look at this recent thread from CFS, most of which I find generally reliable: web.cruisingforsex.com/bb/thailand/327112-bar-reports-bkk-20.html (http://web.cruisingforsex.com/bb/thailand/327112-bar-reports-bkk-20.html)

November 2nd, 2008, 02:57
Yes, but the ladies expect more with a short time tip and many are looking for long term deals leading to an Issan marriage, a few ha sip ha sip rug rats, a house in Issan for the extended family and oh yes, a good Thai will.Isn't it just that there's more of them, which means the prices are cheaper?

sydneyboy
November 2nd, 2008, 05:16
I have found Hero to be, by the widest possible margin, the best massage venue in Bangkok.

TrongpaiExpat
November 2nd, 2008, 11:13
Yes, but the ladies expect more with a short time tip and many are looking for long term deals leading to an Issan marriage, a few ha sip ha sip rug rats, a house in Issan for the extended family and oh yes, a good Thai will.Isn't it just that there's more of them, which means the prices are cheaper?

Yes, it might just be that simple, more competition.

Some of the Patpong bars with shows are 100B for a beer but soi Cowboy charges 150 to 200 and there's not much in the way of shows at Cowboy. It's not easy to just go in a soi Cowboy bar and sit alone. Either the girl who touted you at the door sits with you or one is assigned to sit with you and your expected to buy her a drink. You can change girls but then that's another drink and then there's the double team routine.

I have found Hero to be, by the widest possible margin, the best massage venue in Bangkok.

Some love it, others not. I stayed away for a long time, it was just too much of an assembly line, too busy and more than once I was told I would have to wait for a room. There's more rooms now and they are nice. There's lots of boys to choose. B and N had 4 and The Body Club had 7 or 8. The one I picked at Hero told me he used to work at B and N but there were not enough customers.

In my opinion, in the final analysis the venue is almost irrelevant. It's the luck of the choice in finding someone that clicks with you and hits the right buttons.

Khor tose
November 2nd, 2008, 11:31
... you and I both know that is far too rational and sensible to be thought a good idea on these soi. You know that less people equals higher prices to make up for the shortfall.
I have always thought volume and bums in seats were the best idea. More sensibly priced drinks ultimately means bigger dollars at the end of the night. If the bar is full that must equal great value and so even more people come.
But there you go. Hike the prices and get fewer customers???????
Buggered if I know the thought process behind these bars.
Cheers
krobbie

I am finding the same thing with a Thai car rental company. In years past I've always rented from them as they were a very good deal and an honest company. This year their prices have gone from a good deal to higher then Avis. I am with you in failing to understand that thought process that charges more when they have less customers.

pong
November 6th, 2008, 10:38
those-the few that are left-old bars around Sor Anumarn-- etc-where Superlek used to be-still charge the same as some 10/12 yrs ago-100 Bt all drinks and 300 off(though that was 200?250? then)-but admittedly are not to anyones taste-not that much to mine- ijust came back and checked agai for curiosity-some inside also dont seem to have changed at all since!