PDA

View Full Version : The best way to learn Thai

March 20th, 2006, 11:59
Normally, I would search the archives and probably find the answer to my question already, but I'm gonna ask it here anyway because . . . well, just because.

I am moving to Thailand in July, and I would like to get a head start on learning Thai. Is there a book, or internet site, or anything that any of you would recommend?

Thanks.

American Teacher-old
March 20th, 2006, 12:22
I highly suggest purchasing the software program "The Rosetta Stone" and getting the Thai disk. Though I don't use it as much as I wish, I can speak from experience that it is a great, fun way to learn basic Thai words and phrases!

The program uses pictures and native speakers to help you learn vocabulary through repetition. It also has sections for speaking (analyzes through recording) and reading of Thai script.

Hope this helps! In advance, welcome to Siam!

Fondly,
Chris

Up2U
March 20th, 2006, 12:25
Looks like you are from San Francisco so I suggest you go across the bridge and take a beginning Thai course at the Berkeley Thai temple. Cost is about $110, course materials provided. Also, I recommend the book and tapes Thai for Beginnersi (Paiboon Publishing) by Benjawan Poomsan Becker. Order on Amazon.com. The Pimsleur Language Program also has a 10 cd Basic Thai course which uses the Pimsleur method for consersational Thai. Buy on Ebay.com. Good luck (choke dee krap)!

March 20th, 2006, 12:45
You know, i didn't even know about the Thai temple in Berkeley. It's nice to know the town has something to offer besides Steamworks and Chez Panisse. (Oh, and the Sake Factory). I appreciate the info from both of you, and when I get to Siam, I owe ya a cold one. And Up2U, are you in the SF area now, if so we should hang out, or at least go to the Ntouch sometime.

March 20th, 2006, 13:13
By Braille... (Thai willing.) :lovestory:

elephantspike
March 20th, 2006, 13:39
Best (Fun) Way to learn Thai:
By Braille... (Thai willing.) :lovestory:
:laughing3:

A quick link to the Book mentioned by Up2U:

<center>http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/images/1887521003.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1887521313/ref=ase_elephantssama-20/102-8091535-5877755?s=books&v=glance&n=283155&tagActionCode=elephantssama-20)</center>

March 20th, 2006, 13:59
You should try to first get some lessons from a professional teacher. Phone around your local language schools, they should know someone available. I believe that's the only way to master the tones and some of the more unusual sounds. Once that's under your belt you can use any of the recommended resources to progress at your own pace.

In my experience, if you start off sloppy with your tones you'll be frustrated later on when a desire for better accuracy results in having to re-learn all your vocab again.

Dodger
March 20th, 2006, 16:54
Can anyone recommend a good language instructor in Pattaya?

I know that Mim at NS Travel in Sunee provides language lessons, although she appeared pretty busy the last time I was in town - between running the Travel Agency - managing the massage parlor next door - and giving language lessons, etc.

I also purchased the (Rosetta Stone Language Course) 2 years ago, but honestly, I'm not disciplined enough to sit my ass down once a day and work it.

Where is Traveler Jim when you need him???

March 20th, 2006, 17:37
... because?

March 21st, 2006, 09:43
Here is a useful website
http://www.learningthai.com/greetings.html

The book & CD s very good too :>

March 21st, 2006, 13:50
... because

1) I am moving to Thailand, not just visiting for a while, and I think that learning the language can help me get bigger discounts/better prices.

2) I would like to live independently, and that means occasionally being in situations where I will have to figure things out for myself. I am sure that will occasionally require me to be literate.

3) Perhaps my other reason for wanting to learn . . . I would like to know what Thai people are saying about me when they are speaking Thai to each other.

March 21st, 2006, 20:12
None of the above are good reasons for learning Thai. The practical benefits of learning Thai, unless you are hoping to get professional emplyment in Thailand, will never be comensurate with the effort of learning the language properly. If you are going to be newly retired, it is a very good thing to have some purpose to pursue (as opposed to having somthing to merely occupy your time). Learning Thai might provide this. I don't doubt that a good knowledge of the Thai language will also give you insights into the Thai way of thinking, and make life a little easier in various ways, but if you already have a purpose in life, a profound knowledge of Thai is not really worth the trouble (basic conversation and the alphabet, on the other hand, are easy to learn, so this is worth doing).

Smiles
March 21st, 2006, 21:46
"... because
1) I am moving to Thailand, not just visiting for a while, and I think that learning the language can help me get bigger discounts/better prices...."
I think you're quite right in wanting to learn at least a beginners version of 'getting-along' Thai. Pay no attention to Homintern's sarcasm.

However the ultimate factor in getting charged higher prices in Thailand is that you are 'farang' ... not that you can't speak the language.
Speaking the language will be considered quite laudable by the guy selling you an ebony elephant at Chatachuk Market, but he'll up the price to you anyway. As Le Compte de Valmont put it to his spurned lover, " ... it's quite beyond my control ... "

The best way to pay Thai price is to send your boyfriend out to buy it . . . without you in the background hiding behind a garbage dumpster.

Cheers ... :bounce: TIT lesson #538

March 21st, 2006, 23:46
If you are going to be newly retired, it is a very good thing to have some purpose to pursue (as opposed to having somthing to merely occupy your time).

I respectfully disagree. Call me a nerd, but having something occupy my time is wonderful, and learning a language never seems rediculous to me. I am coming to Thailand not for the go-go bars or massage parlors or to go to the beach every day. I am coming for the whole experience. That is my purpose.

Smiles, thank you so much for the reply. As a new poster I feel I've hit the big time as I got your response to something. I genuinely always appreciate what you have to say, and when i do look into the archives, I find your information mostly dead on and pithy.

I must tell you as well that at the markets i think you are right, a farang will get the shaft, but my last two trips to thailand my friends took me various places with the dual pricing system. They tought me a couple of sentences to say and made sure i said them good enough. I was saying (in Thai) "I live here now" and "can I have Thai Price?" It worked about 10% of the time, and it got me in free to Wat Arun. I'm never too proud to try.

Also, before someone makes a big deal about me saving 20 baht ( a mere $.50 US), i should tell you my goal is to come to Thailand completely debt free. After paying off all my student loans for a B.S. and 2 M.S.'s, which totalled alot, I will probably only be coming with about $3000 US to my name (and 2 credit cards with high limits should times get tough). So not only will I be not able to spend like I'm George W. at war, I will probably have a lot of free time since i'm guessing no Thai boy wants a poor farang that can't pay, especially in Pattaya where I will be living. Which will also free up plenty of time for me to learn Thai.

How else will I keep busy . . . teaching english, of course. So, thank you Smiles. Yang, i think you're wrong. And I feel better now.

by the way, if anyone wants to know more about me, just check out my website: http://www.hewentthere.com

It's got pictures :)

March 22nd, 2006, 01:31
... teaching english, of course.

hmm...another farang english teacher... :sleepy2:

Up2U
March 22nd, 2006, 01:50
HeWentThere, I sent you a PM. Another good resource is Jame's Higbie's "Essential Thai" which comes with one audio tape. Uses a unique tonal system which is actually easy to use. Includes Thai script which many of his earlier books, phrasebooks, dictionaries, etc. did not. I bought mine at DK Books in LOS. Out of print so it might be harder to find. Also, Benjamin Poomsan Becker's Thai-English (English-Thai) dictionary is one of the best because of it's Phonetic-English-Thai section which gives you fighting chance of looking up spoken words.

March 22nd, 2006, 05:23
Learning Thai is certainly a worthwhile endeavour, in my opinion.

I'm not sure that the reasons given by HeWentThere are the best ones. As Smiles points out, pricing is not changed by linguistic ability.

Retirement, and having the time to pursue this as one purpose in life, is a good reason. I have done several courses, heaps of private study, and consider myself capable enough at simple stuff, and more at times.

I'm realistic enough not to expect to become a fluent speaker, but I can hold non-complex conversations in Thai, and communicate with people who speak little or no English, one of my aims.

The time and effort required is more than many would make, but I have more time than many. Is it necessary? Not really. Is that a reason not to do it? Not really.

Thais are always appreciative/impressed, and encouraging in my experience. And having a conversation with someone, whatever the context, and understanding and being understood can be very rewarding, and give a feeling of something achieved.

The dictionary by Benjawan Poomsan Becker is my standby. Recommended for its 3 sections.

March 22nd, 2006, 05:25
hmm...another farang english teacher... :sleepy2:

If you have any other suggestions I am open to them, but it seems right now for income in Thailand, English teaching is my only option. I currently have a master's degree in education, and I teach at a University, so education is not something new to me.

I guess my other option would be to postpone moving to Thailand until retirement, but i don't want to wait 40 years.

Oh and i thought of the real reason to learn Thai while i am there:

Because I want to!

March 22nd, 2006, 23:46
The following is a real conversation I had with another farang at a party in BKK while I was visiting.

Farang: Yes I moved here from San Francisco 5 months ago.
Me: Great!! I would love to live in BKK, everyday is a party day here. (remember, we were having this conversation at a party)
Farang: Oh no, I don't party everyday...I have a real job, I am not like those thai boys at DJ, they don't have real jobs.

I am thinking.....hmmm....can(would) he do this kind of comparison back in San Francisco?

elephantspike
March 23rd, 2006, 04:17
The dime-a-dozen low-paying English teaching jobs are with small private companies that offer English improvement courses. A lot of those places will hire pretty-much any native speaker who will take the job. I think with your educational credentials, HWT, you'll be able to get a "real" teaching job that pays fairly well.

Up2U
March 23rd, 2006, 05:22
"The dime-a-dozen low-paying English teaching jobs are with small private companies that offer English improvement courses. A lot of those places will hire pretty-much any native speaker who will take the job. I think with your educational credentials, HWT, you'll be able to get a "real" teaching job that pays fairly well."......in case HeWentThere has not found this site yet:

http://www.ajarn.com/

Lists jobs offers, articles, forum, etc.

Up2U

March 23rd, 2006, 12:45
Oh and i thought of the real reason to learn Thai while i am there:Because I want to!Bravo. Let's hope, however, that you haven't got any ideas above your linguistic station eg. to have an intellectual or even a subtle conversation in Thai. While I can just about manage "Why did you lick his arse but not mine?" in Thai, I find the English is perfectly adequate for both Thai and Westerner

March 23rd, 2006, 15:30
Visit a few more times--In all seasons.
While you're there, check out these English schools in person--And Look at a few condos.
As everywhere; costs are going up, so save as much as you can. People are living longer, current advice is have a minimum of 300,000 saved--And that's retiring at age 62.
Have a back-up plan--Don't burn your britches behind you...
especially when...if... they're burning in...front. :violent3:

Someone told me he took Thai lessons at one of the Wats, in South Pattaya, I think but not the one on South Road. They are advertised in the Pattaya Mail classifieds.

March 23rd, 2006, 15:47
I sincerely appreciate all the advice, but just a few clarifications:

1) I have taught english as a foreign language before.

2) I am not looking to retire, I am only 28. I am looking to live someplace other than the U.S. before I start my Ph.D. program in cultural anthropology.

3) I will only be staying about 2 years in Thailand before returning to the states.

4) I have been to Thailand in what people say are the two worst times to go (the rainiest part of the rainy season, and my first time i went for a month in April).

5) I already have my plane ticket, a place to stay, and plenty of credit if something should go terrible bad. There's no backing out or rescheduling. On July 29, I am landing . . . (I'm guessing still at Don Muang).

6) I'm not expecting to be fluent in Thai, just better, plus since I will be living on a limited salary, teaching the language to myself seems like a challenging and purposeful pastime.

7) I understand the difference between living some place, and being a tourist at a place for a really long time . . . I am interested in the first.

This was not meant to be rude . . . but I am surprised at the number of people, especially in private messages who are giving me advice as if I am retiring or planning to spend the rest of my life there. I just wanted to clarify. And just for curiosity sake, I ordered the beginning Thai book that was recommended. If nothing else, it will provide hours of fun as a doorstop and/or coaster.