PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Cartland on BBC4

October 26th, 2008, 22:14
I see that BBC4 will start screening a drama based on the life of Barbara Cartland, tonight at 9 PM GMT.

It is an undenied rumour that BC is the mother of Sanitree na Pakin, to whom she holds a striking resemblance. It is further undenied that na Pakin is the lovechild of the authoress and a handsome member of the Thai nobility who during his education at Oxford was famous for his handsome member.

Should be unmissable stuff or an un-stuffed Miss.

Khor tose
October 27th, 2008, 01:30
Okay I'll bite, I know who Dame Courtland was, but have no clue as to Sanitree na Pakin. Is this an British inside joke?

October 27th, 2008, 01:46
Okay I'll bite, I know who Dame Courtland was, but have no clue as to Sanitree na Pakin. Is this an Briotish inside joke?

If you search the archives of this Board's predecessor, old chap, I think you'll find a poster with marked similarities to Thanpuying Sanitree styling herself as something like
"Dame Sanitree na Pakin". The good Thanpuying Sanitree has asserted on other threads to be this same person.

One can only assume she has dropped the na Pakin due to her gait.

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 27th, 2008, 08:01
Okay I'll bite, I know who Dame Courtland was, but have no clue as to Sanitree na Pakin. Is this an Briotish inside joke?

yes..both are an enormous Briotish joke but unfortunately now on the loose and not kept inside.

Dame Cartland was the mother of Princess Diana's step-mother who married Earl Spencer. The Cartland's were minor aristocracy, as opposed to the Spencer's who are grand Aristocracy which meant the Lady Diana Specer was in fact, wedding "down" by marrying into the German family that comprise the British Royals.

Dame Sanitree Na Parkin was a Bangkok society hostess who mysteriously disappeared from that city around the same time as the legendary, The Colonel did. perhaps they eloped..both were as balmy as batshit so it wouldn't surprise me. Dame Sanitree alluded to the possibility that she was related to Dame Cartland but if she was, you wouldn't actually boast about it..you would hide the fact. Far better to be related to her gardener.
(PS : the day the 2 disappeared ,a Sid & Doris Bonkers were registered to fly first class from Bangkok on tickets purchased via a stolen credit card..I'm not inferring anything of course..but ??)

Dame Cartland made a fortune churning out dreadful romance novels which were so bad that when I gave one to my mother as a present..she being an avid consumer of RomaNce novels. slapped me across the face as she deemed it an insult.

One day I will tell you how I met the Countess of Dartmouth ( Diana's stepmother) at a Harrod's party when she had become a spruiker for Mohammed Fayed, and she gave me a large commerative Harrods Teddy Bear as a momento and keepsake which I subsequently sold on e-bay for $542 with the Countess of Dartmouth's provenance raising the price, so I'm fond of her.

The Colonel is 87 years old.

krobbie
October 27th, 2008, 11:36
Mr O'Booze, what a newsy little item. I cannot wait to hear more re: Countess of Dartmouth.

Cheers
krobbie

Marsilius
October 27th, 2008, 15:05
For the full lowdown go to Wikipedia and look up the entry on Raine Spencer - she's quite a gal!

October 28th, 2008, 15:55
The Colonel is 87 years old.And I plan to live forever, or die in the attempt

October 29th, 2008, 21:23
... even where I am in Singapore, anyway. She was a fab. It was played by Anne Reid, who I'm informed played Ken Barlow's wife in Coronation Street (alias William Roache) during the 60s. She dropped her hair dryer in the bath and was killed off.

I loved one of the lines in the Barbara Cartland film, "we can get you to appear on a chat show with Danny La Rue", to which her answer was "ooh no thanks, they won't be able to tell the difference".