PDA

View Full Version : Money in Cambodia

ceejay
October 26th, 2008, 20:26
I would appreciate some information on how to get cash in Cambodia, from any recent visitors there. There is a lot of contradictory advice around. In particular:

Are there ATM's in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh that will pay out US dollars?

Is it easy to get US dollar traveller's cheques changed in Cambodia?

I've seen all sorts of advice from take it all in cash, to don't worry about it.

Thanks

October 26th, 2008, 23:14
No (why should there be?).

Yes, but you can get a better rate for cash ($).

gearguy
October 27th, 2008, 00:09
Can't speak for PP but there are ATMs in Siem Reap and they work fine; they all dispense US currency. US dollars are used pretty much through out Cambodia.
smallest is one dollar bills (no coin). If something is $4.75 and you give them a five dollar bill, you'll get back a either a 1000 Cambodia riel bill (I think that's right). Everyone basically rounds stuff up to the nearest dollar. I was there in Feb'08 and had no problems with ATMs; there is one right across from The Red Piano at the end of the Bar street.

You should inform your bank before you leave that you are going overseas and what countries, otherwise they may block transactions.

Now having said that, I try to bring what I think I will need in US dollars and in any case you need to make sure that you have currency for the on-arrival visa, which if I recall was $25 USD and also make sure you keep enough for the exit tax (I don;t recall that amount, anyone else remember that? but I expect in the same range as $25 or so as the visa). Make sure you bring two passport photos as well.

I disagree with the comment, re: traveler's checks. Stores won;t accept them. I'm sure that the banks would cash them but you're going to get the best rate out of the ATMs (except for the fees, which can be pretty high, which is why I bring the cash I think I would need). I don;t see the value in traveler's checks anymore with ATMs now pretty much everywhere. If the country you are visiting has a banking system able to cash TCs, they'll have ATMs (IMO).

Whatever you do, don;t buy any Riels. They are not covertable and you will be stuck with them. On top of which, most vendors will want USD and not 10s of thousands of Riel.

If you bring cash, bring 1, 5,10, and 20s; no 50 or 100. 50/100s are not going to be accepted except at very high end hotels and stores. Bring currency that is not too used looking. Merchants are picky and will decline torn/ripped bills, tho they'll be gladly accepted at the markets and by the money boys.

Khor tose
October 27th, 2008, 01:15
Gear Guy, thank you for the info. I will be in Cambodia from the 13th to the 20th of November. I will be traveling with my Thai BF and neither of us wants any companions. Can you give me a ball park figure on how much in small bills I should bring? Accomodations are taken care of, all I need is an idea for food, musems, guides, taxis, discos, etc.

ceejay
October 27th, 2008, 03:00
Thank you Gear Guy - a most helpful reply. I'll be there for a couple of weeks, so I'll take enough cash to get by on and top up if need be while I'm there.

Thanks again

gearguy
October 27th, 2008, 04:59
Not including hotels and any tour guide fees, I budget about $50 per person per day in Siem Reap. You will most likely spend a less,
depending on how much shopping you do and where you eat and drink and how many boys you buy drinks for.

Meals can be very inexpensive in SR; I don;t recall all the bills but at the Cambodia BBQ on Bar Street I remember my friend Steve and I
had dinner with several large bottles of beer for around $20 for the two of us. I don't think our bill at Red Piano was more than $30.

Don't miss the night market; down from The Red Piano and down a soi. Great bar there with a very entertaining and very adorable
bartender.

Also a stop at the Le Artsian de Ankor is well worth it. I also liked the Ankor Candle shop. I loaded up for xmas presents there.

SR is one of my favorite towns in SE Asia. I've been there four times; you'll have a great time there I am sure.

BTW, Luang Prabang is another delightful town for a 3-4 day visit.

October 27th, 2008, 05:03
There are many cash machines, all dispensing USD.

Don't forget to visit the Linga bar.

adman5000
October 27th, 2008, 08:05
It is not just torn or ripped notes that you can have problems using. Some old or crumpled notes may also be declined. I had a Pharmacy decline my US note as it was "too old". I take a stack of new bills.

If you go to the Artisan Market noted, they will take credit cards.

Also, if you buy a multiple day ticket for the Angor Wat, I suggest you buy the ticket yourself. (don't give the money to your taxi driver to buy it for you) the reason is that some slip you a fake ticket which was happening when I visited.

October 27th, 2008, 22:47
No (why should there be?).

Yes, but you can get a better rate for cash ($).

My mistake - when I was last in PP, last year, this was the case. I don't think you will have any problems exchanging travellers cheques at hotels or banks, if need be.

Khor tose
October 28th, 2008, 04:21
Thanks z909 and GearGuy you are both very helpful. By the way GG, I've been to Luan Pabang and think 2-3 days is hardly enough. Loved the boys and loved the place. Also, GG, tops have liked Obama a lot longer then bottoms. All the bottoms I know where for Hillary. :wave:

gearguy
October 28th, 2008, 08:12
us bottoms just don't "pole" well; we're the
stealth part of electorate.

October 29th, 2008, 02:21
Khor Tose -thanks for the recommendation for Luang Prabang.

What method of travel is best & is the night life good also?