PDA

View Full Version : Thailand to urge UK to extradite Thaksin

lonelywombat
October 22nd, 2008, 17:25
October 22, 2008 - 0725GMT

Thai prosecutors on Wednesday began gathering evidence to submit to Britain asking for the extradition of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, after he was sentenced in absentia to two years in jail.

The Supreme Court on Tuesday found Thaksin guilty of violating corruption laws when he helped his wife buy a cut-price lot of government land.

"The extradition process began today (Wednesday)," said Sirisak Tiyapan, international affairs director at the attorney general's office.

"The special litigation department will copy the verdict and translate it into English, before we prepare case details.

"All documents must be translated into English before we can prepare the petition and that will take considerable time ... in our petition, we have to prove Thaksin committed a crime that is common between the two countries."

Once all the paperwork is complete, the attorney general will forward a petition to the foreign ministry, which could lodge it with the Thai embassy in London or file it through the British embassy in Bangkok, said Sirisak.

A British Home Office spokesman said earlier this month that Thaksin and his wife Pojaman had applied for political asylum, although people close to Thaksin were quoted in local media Wednesday as saying that report was not true.

Thaksin and Pojaman fled to Britain in August this year saying they would not get a fair trial on corruption charges back home.

Thaksin was overthrown in a military coup in September 2006, and the junta set up a corruption investigation unit to look into alleged abuses of power. So far, the Supreme Court has agreed to hear five cases against Thaksin.

The land deal verdict on Tuesday was the first judgment against Thaksin since the putsch.

An attempt to extradite Thaksin during his first period in exile after the coup got bogged down in complexities, as the charges he faced in Thailand were not covered by the extradition treaty with Britain.

┬й 2008 AFP

October 22nd, 2008, 17:28
I guess it was worth starting a new thread rather than adding to the extensive existing one "Thaksin is guilty"

Wesley
October 22nd, 2008, 18:02
Homiturn, you are welcome to meet us in Bangkok. I honesltly mean that . As to the post maybe he did not see it before the post came out. As you know I do shit like that all the time. So, he is human or, maybe he wanted to open a new thread to keep people interested , especially after long threads that tend to go off subject eventually.

Wes

lonelywombat
October 22nd, 2008, 18:33
I guess it was worth starting a new thread rather than adding to the extensive existing one "Thaksin is guilty"

Sorry diddums if I hurt your feelings, I know with your recent elevated status you must dominate the forum

If you ask me nicely I will cancel the thread and add it to yours

Please stop crying

October 22nd, 2008, 18:45
lonelywombat wrote;

Sorry diddums if I hurt your feelings, I know with your recent elevated status you must dominate the forum

If you ask me nicely I will cancel the thread and add it to yours

Priceless :cheers:

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 22nd, 2008, 19:37
Homiturn, you are welcome to meet us in Bangkok. I honesltly mean that . As to the post maybe he did not see it before the post came out. As you know I do shit like that all the time. So, he is human or, maybe he wanted to open a new thread to keep people interested , especially after long threads that tend to go off subject eventually.

Wes

an excellent idea Wesley as HominernS always picks up the tab. Plus your more likely to see him in Bangkok than you ever will Mr Thaksin.

October 23rd, 2008, 01:45
The verdict could affect his application for asylum but not his extradition since he is an ex "Head of State", as I posted on 12 August I have Gone Fishing on {Ignore} and the post you have quoted proves how right I was. Thaksin was "Head of Government". HMTK is "Head of State". It's the same in the UK, where Brenda is "Head of State" and Brown is "Head of Government". It's only in executive republics like the USA where the roles of Head of State and Head of Government are combined

No, Homi, it just proves how little you actually know. The reason why "Head of State" is in quotation marks is because that is the correct technical term according to the UK State Immunity Act 1978, which I refer to, for a Prime Minister in a country with a nominal Royal Head of State (as is the case in both Thailand and the UK). It is based on the definition in the Diplomatic Privileges Act 1964, which noted the difference between State and Sovereign immunity, which is referred to in the State Immunity Act, and which are very different.

There is no slight, intended or implied - it is simply the correct use of the technical terms, which you are so keen on, and about which you actually know very little. Stick to the one-liners, where you have less scope for displaying your ignorance.

October 23rd, 2008, 03:09
I guess it was worth starting a new thread rather than adding to the extensive existing one "Thaksin is guilty"Sorry diddums if I hurt your feelingsI was merely referring to the comment you made in another thread about whether people should or shouldn't start new threads. You have to try a lot harder to hurt the feelings of bald fat old cunts