PDA

View Full Version : ... W. ...

October 20th, 2008, 11:59
Oliver Stone's latest.
A fantastic movie that, I think, really gets at the meat of who George Bush really is.

And it is NOT an unsympathetic view.

He's basically just a Good 'Ol Boy who is in over his head and surrounded by Evil Men. He is the kind of guy you'd want to sit down and have a few beers with. But boy, what a mess he's made.
For me this movie crystallized everything I've been trying to tell people about this guy for 8 years.
Josh Brolin, one of our best new actors, puts in an Academy Award performance. Also James Cromwell as "Poppy" Bush. Stone also gives us a very sympathetic picture of Laura Bush, akin to what he did for Pat Nixon in his biopic "Nixon".

Europeens are just gonna love this movie, thinking its great fun to poke at those Redneck ignorant Americans. People like our friend Henry Cate are gonna hate it like they hated Stone's "Nixon" (another oddly sympathetic view).
And a lot of us liberal "Amurricans" are just going to laugh out loud, not so much at the move but more at the joy that our 8 year nightmare is about to end.
A side note: I was at the first matinee (cheapskate that I am I only paid $6 but had to get there at 11am -but they wanted $4.25 for a small popcorn! Is it any wonder I wait 'till I'm in Thailand to see movies?) and there was almos half a theater full of people, mostly middle-aged couples. As I left there was a line going out the door for the 1:30pm showing. I'll bet this is going to be the big box office hit this weekend.

KenC's Acadamy Award predictions: Nominations for Stone, Brolin, Cromwell and the movie as Best Picture.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3Wdy8q9tc&feature=user

Khor tose
October 20th, 2008, 12:40
I also saw it today and Ken has given a very good review. I think daddy Bush gets off to easy as those "evil men" where members of daddy Bush's cabinet and recommended by him. Also Stone did not have a scene of Bush when he first heard of the attack on the twin towers. That short clip that was in Moore's movie said it all.

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 20th, 2008, 21:00
if he was buying I'd certainly sit down and have a few beers with him.