PDA

View Full Version : Cigar worship

October 19th, 2008, 13:03
Can anyone tell me what the point is for the Thais of a little shrine I saw in a friend's house. It was a picture of a guy with a mosutache, one of the kings I believe. In front of the picture, on a small plate, there were two or three cigars that had been lit but not smoked. What's the point?

MARK
October 19th, 2008, 13:40
It,s the same as us putting flowers on a grave, The cigarets and food are for the spirit of the loved one that has past on. I may be wrong but that is my understanding. :angel13:

October 19th, 2008, 15:20
It,s the same as us putting flowers on a grave, The cigarets and food are for the spirit of the loved one that has past on. I may be wrong but that is my understanding. :angel13:

Ditto! Perhaps this King was known to be a cigar lover, thus the offering of his indulgence.

krobbie
October 20th, 2008, 02:17
King Rama V most likely, often depicted wearing a bowler hat. Highly revered by Thais.

King number five very special. My Thai friends in new Zealand all have gold amulet/medallion about their necks either with number five painted on it or as gold coin type. Hugely revered!

krobbie

dab69
October 20th, 2008, 05:40
think of it like flower worship
on the Christian altars