PDA

View Full Version : The army and the government - "Hop it, chum"

October 18th, 2008, 04:13
The head of the army has made it clear that he thinks the prime minister should resign. In a democracy the armed forces serve the civilian government and military officers don't make political comments. But this is Amazing Thailand - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/10 ... 085779.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/10/11/politics/politics_30085779.php)

Perhaps the Establishment wants some entertainment for foreign visitors - there's an ASEAN conference in Bangkok at the beginning of December, followed by all you sex tourists flying in for the Xmas holidays

krobbie
October 18th, 2008, 06:12
Interesting view this army chief has. I quite like how this man thinks. If he intervenes eventually the same old cronies will be back in power. I am not sure where he answer lies but it certainly is not PAD or the current ruling power as it is presented at this time.

The sooner politicians realise that the old days of feathering their nests with impunity needs to come to an end the better off the whole country will be.

If they were paid a decent salary and the right people suited to the right portfolio based on knowledge and ability, the taxes could start to be spent in the right way. Not all this wheeling and dealing that goes on in Thailand. There are so many court cases pending for corruption and graft, it will keep the court system bogged down for years.

IMHO.

Cheers
krobbie

October 18th, 2008, 08:30
The sooner politicians realise that the old days of feathering their nests with impunity needs to come to an end the better off the whole country will be. They are not interested in acting "for the good of the country"; the whole purpose of entering politics is nest-feathering

October 18th, 2008, 16:42
In Britain, the Cabinet Minister who's about to usurp the Prime Minister in the political equivalent of a coup, always makes a point of expressing his total loyalty shortly before someone further down the food chain forces a leadership contest - which the said Cabinet Minister then reluctantly enters and wins.

Perhaps the army chief is anxious to demonstrate his reluctance to stage a coup so he doesn't look like the bad guy if there is one.

October 20th, 2008, 17:20
For a summary of what's going on, the International Herald Tribune has this story - http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/10/19/asia/thai.php - "Coup fears grow as Bangkok boils"

October 20th, 2008, 17:34
Krobbie wrote;
The sooner politicians realise that the old days of feathering their nests with impunity needs to come to an end the better off the whole country will be.

It will never happen in our lifetime Krobbie. One should also look at politicians elsewhere in the world, they might not make it as obvious as the Thai ones do, but all in all they all feather their own nests, just look at Blair and company in Britian.

October 20th, 2008, 23:23
Not too bad a summary (in IHT) but left the impression that PAD had the support of half the population, when it's more like a quarter or less. And it offered little analysis of why most of the Thai population still support the current Government, bad as it is. Like most foreign commentators, the reporter equates Thailand with Bangkok. He needs to get out a bit more.

krobbie
October 21st, 2008, 11:49
It will never happen in our lifetime Krobbie. One should also look at politicians elsewhere in the world, they might not make it as obvious as the Thai ones do, but all in all they all feather their own nests, just look at Blair and company in Britian.

You are quite correct and I am such an optomist, ever hopeful that everyone will just do an honest days work without the need to garner more (dollars/pounds/baht) at some others expense. Really, I have to stop being such a chump.

I have yet to become accustomed to the fact that politician = graft.

What am I to do? We have elections in NZ next month. Does one just vote for the less dishonest? I can't be that cynical.

krobbie

October 21st, 2008, 14:02
What am I to do? We have elections in NZ next month. Does one just vote for the less dishonest? I can't be that cynical.So what do you propose doing? Run around saying "Woe is me, woe is me, why am I so pure? There's no-one who deserves my vote" and just opt out?