PDA

View Full Version : One Bedroom apartment in South Pattaya sought

colmx
October 17th, 2008, 06:59
Hi All
I shall soon be heading off on my whistle-stop tour of SE Asia (and a bit of Oz)...
A month to Visit:
Tokyo
Sydney
Beijing
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Sinagpore..

Before settling down for All of Dec and Jan in Pattaya

I was planning on staying in Bfs old apartment building on 3rd rd... but the more i think about it the more unsuitable i feel it might be for 2 months... Have stayed there on 2 week trips in the past, but think 2 months might be too long in such an enclosed space - so we are looking for a 1 bed apt to rent for the 2 months...

Mosaik only have luxury 1 beds @47,000B during this time

I don't like the look of DiamondCity apartment - expensive ones look pokey, cheaper ones look no better than BFs apt

PattayaRentaroom are looking for crazy money for anything in yensabai

As are tonys...and Bf would destroy the white surfaces (everywhere) there!

I'm definately looking for something in South Pattaya, so that rules out all of jomtien. And it must be a 1 bed ie. Not a studio - with seperate sleeping and living quarters

And i don't want to stay in a guesthouse or hotel...
Oh and it must have internet...

So where else could we stay?

Anybody have any contacts in Centre Condo?
Do they still rent out from the downstairs office?

What about hyde park residence?
I have always like the look of My Viewcondo on Soi17 - but have never seen any for rent or let...

Or anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks in Advance!

SoiVC Slut-old
October 17th, 2008, 07:23
You might give this a try. They have one and two bedroom apartments. I haven't checked the rates in awhile..

Nong Apartments

http://www.pattayavacation.com/Nong-English/index.html

colmx
October 17th, 2008, 07:44
Hi SoiVC Slut - have you stayed in the Nong Apartments before?
If so what were they like?

Are teh clientele there mainly Straight or Gay?
Farang or Arab?
(not that i have anything against either - but BF does :albino: )

The apartments seem to be very basic/old fashioned from the pics on the site and have pricing similar to Diamond City and Mosaik.

Did you try their internet?
If so what was it like?

Also just discovered that Diamond City only have "cyberpoint" internet - which requires a PCMCIA card on your laptop... something i don't have - so diamondcity is definately ruled out now!

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 17th, 2008, 07:52
do you mean your b/f has something against straights, gays, farangs and Arabs ?

that's going to make it pretty difficult to find accomodation !

October 17th, 2008, 07:59
that's going to make it pretty difficult to find accomodation !Get rid of the boyfriend - clearly he has too many opinions

topjohn5
October 17th, 2008, 08:10
Hi All
I shall soon be heading off on my whistle-stop tour of SE Asia (and a bit of Oz)...
A month to Visit:
Tokyo
Sydney
Beijing
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Sinagpore..

I was planning on staying in Bfs old apartment building on 3rd rd... but the more i think about it the more unsuitable i feel it might be for 2 months... Have stayed there on 2 week trips in the past, but think 2 months might be too long in such an enclosed space - so we are looking for a 1 bed apt to rent for the 2 months...

I don't like the look of DiamondCity apartment - expensive ones look pokey, cheaper ones look no better than BFs apt

I'm definately looking for something in South Pattaya, so that rules out all of jomtien. And it must be a 1 bed ie. Not a studio - with seperate sleeping and living quarters

I have always like the look of My Viewcondo on Soi17 - but have never seen any for rent or let...

Thanks in Advance!

Ummmmmmmm, I don't get it. What does your bf do to white surfaces and how? Is this a Thai trait in general?
I'm beginning to feel I need a diagram to figure these guys out. On another board a guy just said that you should never wear a black shirt around a Thai as they think about death if you do.....

topjohn5
October 17th, 2008, 08:22
Black is the colour of mourning in many countries. In Thailand, if you wear black, it is assumed that you are in mourning and/or attending a funeral. Nothing strange about that. It is only in recent years that black coloured cars were put on sale here.

So, I shouldn't wear black pants either? Is that an issue too? I was considering bringing a pair of black jeans.....

topjohn5
October 17th, 2008, 08:33
Black pants are not an issue, but black shirts or ties would be, or all black outfits.

I'm glad to hear they are not totally done in by black altogether! So, I guess I'll leave my tux at home as well......

nanette
October 17th, 2008, 11:39
Black does not seem to be an issue among many Bangkok young gays. I have seen many stunning guys wearing all-blacks everywhere in Bangkok, and they certainly didn't appear to be in mourning....

topjohn5
October 17th, 2008, 12:00
Hi All
A month to Visit:
Tokyo
Sydney
Beijing
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Sinagpore..

Thanks in Advance!

Ummmmmmmm, I don't get it. What does your bf do to white surfaces and how? Is this a Thai trait in general?
I'm beginning to feel I need a diagram to figure these guys out. On another board a guy just said that you should never wear a black shirt around a Thai as they think about death if you do.....

Any idea what he means guys about the white surfaces being ruined??? I'm so very interested in this.....and what are the white surfaces that they hate so much made out of or does it matter at all? Do they have a particular dislike for marble and granite or is it just white formica and melamine?
If it's formica and melamine I agree with them really.....maybe it all should be destroyed to be honest.
I had no idea Thai's had such keen sense of interior design.....well, yeah learn something new everyday!

October 17th, 2008, 14:33
I had no idea Thai's had such keen sense of interior design.....well, yeah learn something new everyday!There was a furnishings shop in one of the main shopping centres proudly called "Kitsch"

colmx
October 17th, 2008, 15:05
Hi All
A month to Visit:
Tokyo
Sydney
Beijing
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Sinagpore..

Thanks in Advance!

Any idea what he means guys about the white surfaces being ruined??? I'm so very interested in this.....and what are the white surfaces that they hate so much made out of or does it matter at all? Do they have a particular dislike for marble and granite or is it just white formica and melamine?
If it's formica and melamine I agree with them really.....maybe it all should be destroyed to be honest.
I had no idea Thai's had such keen sense of interior design.....well, yeah learn something new everyday!

Geezer
October 17th, 2008, 16:37
Perhaps one shouldnтАЩt be overly influenced by everything seen on the board. I was out for three hours just now and took particular note of the colors worn by boys. There were more wearing black than any other single color -- black shirts included.

I know a boy who is apprehensive about sleeping alone in a room containing a mirror as ghosts frequently emerge from them in movies. Still, this may not a concern which is generally held.

October 17th, 2008, 19:20
I haven't heard of any apartments that meet you reqirements in South Pattaya but I think Monty had a couple apartments in Jomtiem that were available.

colmx
October 18th, 2008, 00:44
Hi John
Thais Tend to use a lot of powder, lotions, creams, gels, lube, hiarspray etc etc

They also tend to be very liberal and haphazzard in their application (a generalisation i know - but quite true inmy experience)

The beauty products tend to be off white in colour and would colpletely destroy the Lilly white surfaces that Tony has in his apartment complex...

They are like something out a futuristic movie!

Thats why i wouldn't like to bring Bf there!
http://www.tonysapartments.com/

I have also noticed that Bf (and a lot of his friends) always leave items that will scratch on surfaces that will easily scratch - or put stickers on surfaces that will easily mark...

Hope that clears things up!

As far as the black clothing is concerned i would estimate that most thais guys have at least 1 black shirt or s-shirt in their wardrobe so i woulod have no worries about wearing black!

topjohn5
October 18th, 2008, 02:11
Hi John
Thais Tend to use a lot of powder, lotions, creams, gels, lube, hiarspray etc etc

They also tend to be very liberal and haphazzard in their application (a generalisation i know - but quite true inmy experience)

The beauty products tend to be off white in colour and would colpletely destroy the Lilly white surfaces that Tony has in his apartment complex...

They are like something out a futuristic movie!

Thats why i wouldn't like to bring Bf there!
http://www.tonysapartments.com/

I have also noticed that Bf (and a lot of his friends) always leave items that will scratch on surfaces that will easily scratch - or put stickers on surfaces that will easily mark...

Hope that clears things up!

As far as the black clothing is concerned i would estimate that most thais guys have at least 1 black shirt or s-shirt in their wardrobe so i woulod have no worries about wearing black!

I'm not sure after looking at Tony's that I wouldn't mess up that decor, lol! Gee, and I thought my mother, during one of her many redecorating phases growing up, would go a little over the top.....until I saw his places!
Thanks for the warning me about the boys and there stuff.......

1PR4BKK
October 18th, 2008, 03:49
Hi All

I am surprised that Mosaik only had one-bedroom apartments for more than 27K THB. That would have been a nice choice. Have you tried calling and speaking to someone there? Something may have opened up.

CoffeeBreak
October 18th, 2008, 10:05
Residence Garden which is in Thappaya Road, South Pattaya.
Do a web search to find details.

colmx
October 18th, 2008, 16:52
at 55,000B per month i think the residence garden is a little out of my price range...
My mortgage doesn't even cost me that!

October 19th, 2008, 01:04
I'm not sure after looking at Tony's that I wouldn't mess up that decor, lol!

A myopic Eskimo would be at home with this colour scheme - white, white and white! ....and from 15,000 baht for a 24sqm box!

Smiles
October 19th, 2008, 13:19
" ... On another board a guy just said that you should never wear a black shirt around a Thai as they think about death if you do... "
Absolute hogwash. Suggest you be a bit more careful on who you believe ... especially about Thai people.
Actually, this Board has many members who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to Thailand and Thai folks ... as long as you are able to get through some chaff. But you do seem to have some trouble with doing that, at least it appears that way from many of your posts.

Cheers ...

Smiles
October 19th, 2008, 13:27
at 55,000B per month i think the residence garden is a little out of my price range...
My mortgage doesn't even cost me that!
Dear Colmx,
You could try shacking up here in Hua Hin. Our townhouse here is a two bed, two story, two bath semi-mansion (arguable :blackeye: ) just steps from the beach and downtown ... all for 8000Bt a month (granted I pay by the year for that price, but it's still only 10000bt paid monthly). Think of it, for that low price you could afford to rent a speedboat 4 times a week and dash across the Gulf to Pattaya when you're of the mind.
Just a thought.

Cheers ...

October 19th, 2008, 13:40
"downtown"How large is the Hua Hin CBD these days?

topjohn5
October 19th, 2008, 13:47
" ... On another board a guy just said that you should never wear a black shirt around a Thai as they think about death if you do... "
Absolute hogwash. Suggest you be a bit more careful on who you believe ... especially about Thai people.
Actually, this Board has many members who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to Thailand and Thai folks ... as long as you are able to get through some chaff. But you do seem to have some trouble with doing that, at least it appears that way from many of your posts.

Cheers ...

Hi Smiles, Actually it's not complete hogwash....it may be an assumption made by the poster which he assigned to all Thais (as many people do when they write). It seems to relate only to a sub-group or a particular bf.....but its definately not complete hogwash according to Xian. Xian posts a good plausible explanation about black and white and death where asians are concerned.
Actually if I believed it I wouldn't bring up the question, lol. I'm generally able to decide things quite well after reading a bit of the arguments. It helps newbies like myself to read the thoughts of several folks who take the time to detail their points rather than just say this or that is b.s. without backing it up with a reason or two.....don't you agree Smiles?
If your so inclined to read Xian's post here it is:www.gaytingtong.com/topic3397.html (http://www.gaytingtong.com/topic3397.html)

Dboy
October 19th, 2008, 14:13
have you stayed in the Nong Apartments before? If so what were they like?

I've stayed at Nong Apt. Probably won't again. Guests all straight, owner is gay-unfriendly. No Arabs staying there (the US Marine Corp stickers all over the place probably scares them away). I had their Internet service for the month I was there. Not fast enough for me (trading US markets).

Nong is great if you like palms, orchids, etc. nice big gardens, plants everywhere. They have an area where you can lock up your motorbike inside at night which is nice. They have a kitchen tho I never tried their food. The location is good for Sunee, so if you brought someone back at night for ST, then only the guard would know. They will bring you cases of glass bottles of water for a reasonable price. Seems like maybe 300b for a case but don't recall. It's a nice place but if you plan on parading a bunch of boys through your room I'd pick someplace else.

dboy

October 19th, 2008, 14:14
Xian posts a good plausible explaination about black and white and death where asians are concerned.I've read quite a few plausible explanations of almost everything under the sun on this and other Boards in my time. Many of them are complete rubbish - but they're plausible. Here's an equally plausible explanation that distinguishes between the generations
Black is not a lucky color for conservative people. If you go to a party of Thais with an average age over 40 years, please avoid dressing in black. People reserve the black color for funerals. However, if you go to a party of the younger generation, black is trendy. The best way is to ask the host. http://www.apmforum.com/columns/thai22.htm

Essentially is that any different to the West? Oh, and that posting is almost ten years old, so I guess the age bar might be lifted to Thais over 50

October 19th, 2008, 17:40
Our townhouse here is a two bed, two story, two bath semi-mansion (arguable :blackeye: )

Your "semi-mansion" only has two stories in its repertoir? You need to borrow one of homintern's scriptwriters.
Storey.

October 20th, 2008, 23:57
...Absolute hogwash...

Hi Smiles, Actually it's not complete hogwash...

It's complete hogwash, and has been for decades. Exactly the same "rule" applies to wearing white, which is equally (and, until European influence played its part, solely) the colour of mourning in many Asian and all Hindu countries - the last King of Laos, for example, had his cars painted white for a year as a sign of mourning, but white is now the colour for cars here (Thailand).

Xian posts a good plausible explanation about black and white and death where asians are concerned.

Plausible is not necessarily correct, as Homi (correctly, for once) points out. Xian may just as well have said that Thai widows wear purple, as at least that would have been correct traditionally.

If you are that "colour conscious", maybe you should know that the colour of mourning in the South Sea Islands is black and white stripes; in Egypt, Brittany and Burma, yellow; in Persia/Iran pale brown; in Ethiopia greyish-brown; in Syria and Armenia, sky-blue; in South Africa, red.

francois
October 21st, 2008, 03:44
What farang may think is hogwash regarding black, the Thai may think otherwise. My Thai friend (from Issan) insists I not wear black shirts because of symbolism with death. Is he wrong in his belief? He also believes in ghosts as do many Thai. A more urban Thai may think differently. Do other posters have Thai friends with same or different beliefs?

October 21st, 2008, 08:52
Is he wrong in his belief? He also believes in ghosts as do many Thai.I guess if you want to pander to such nonsense ... Where does it end? I have Thai friends who believe (see another thread) that the rise and fall of the ocean is not caused by the moon influencing the tide, but by the amount of rainfall. Should we be sensitive about nonsense simply because it's a Thai belief. You'll have noticed I am totally merciless in pursuing Wesley for his nonsense belief that God made him a homosexual and therefore it's OK

francois
October 21st, 2008, 10:00
Is he wrong in his belief? He also believes in ghosts as do many Thai.[/quote

]I guess if you want to pander to such nonsense ... Where does it end?

Is it pandering to respect and honor another's beliefs?

October 21st, 2008, 14:12
Is it pandering to respect and honor another's beliefs?Absolutely! Everything else is cowardice. The entitlement is to be able to hold those beliefs. In the marketplace of beliefs, why should some beliefs have monopoly status, unable to be challenged?

francois
October 21st, 2008, 22:41
Is it pandering to respect and honor another's beliefs?Absolutely! Everything else is cowardice. The entitlement is to be able to hold those beliefs. In the marketplace of beliefs, why should some beliefs have monopoly status, unable to be challenged?

Wise words from a fruitcake. Fran├зois.

October 21st, 2008, 23:59
What farang may think is hogwash regarding black, the Thai may think otherwise. My Thai friend (from Issan) insists I not wear black shirts because of symbolism with death.

francois,

as was explained at considerable length on T&T forum, where you were the one to originally raise this point, it is not a traditional Thai/Asian belief (xiandarkthorne: "Another misunderstanding about black...*sigh*...and it's not you farangs' fault, I assure you. Most modern Asians don't even know or understand this themselves .....etc, etc").

I do not think your BF is "wrong in his belief" - that is his choice, which I think you are right to respect (and respecting it is totally different from accepting it or pandering to it), I think you are wrong to base your view of what "the Thai" believe solely on his view, as you now tend towards, even though you originally qualified it.

I also think topjohn5 was entirely "wrong" to mischaracterise your original post, which clearly referred only to your BF's view ("BS does not like when I wear black shirts, a sign of death") to "On another board a guy just said that you should never wear a black shirt around a Thai as they think about death if you do", which was not what you had said at all.

I certainly agree with both you and Fatts that most Thais believe in the supernatural, ghosts, etc, as my partner does, however I would hesitate to say that all his beliefs are typical of "the Thai", or even those from Issan (as he is). He, for example, will not go to either Nong Nooch (Pattaya) or Doi Suthep (Chiang Mai) with me; although there is no problem about going separately, he believes that there is a curse on both locations that ends any relationship between those who go there together. Amongst other things, he also believes that you have to burn snakes straight after you kill them to stop their family from seeking revenge - a custom I picked up in Indonesia, which he has copied from me!

October 22nd, 2008, 02:35
None of this has anything to do with finding an apartment in south pattaya.. Once again a few have sabotaged the thread/

francois
October 22nd, 2008, 08:22
Back on track- Colmx if you PM me I will give you a contact at Center Condo which may be of use in search for lodging.

Not sure how I got sucked into black shirt debate but hope GF's explanation ends it.

October 22nd, 2008, 08:55
Wise words from a fruitcake. Fran├зois.And what is your view on the superstitions of the Afghans, as told in this story - should we respect and honour their beliefs? If not, why not? http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/10/21/asia/afghan.php

lonelywombat
October 22nd, 2008, 08:59
None of this has anything to do with finding an apartment in south pattaya.. Once again a few have sabotaged the thread/

It would make sense to start a new thread with more specific questions based on the replies so far

October 22nd, 2008, 23:02

It would make sense to start a new thread with more specific questions based on the replies so far

LW,

there is nothing to stop you doing so.

Sabotage: Deliberate destruction, to damage, destroy or disrupt something deliberately, etc.

luvthai,

nothing in this thread has been damaged or destroyed, deliberately or otherwise; it has been sidetracked, nothing more.

Back on the black track:

Today's Bangkok Post's muse/fashion page contained an article by Usnisa Sukhsvasti with her views on wearing black, including the following:

There used to be a time when my wardrobe consisted of black, deep black, light black, blackish, off-black and matte black. When you're young (enough), you can get away with anything. The bloom of youth is all you need to make you stand out in a crowd.

Let's have a quick glance at my closet. Half the items hanging there are black, grey and whiteтАж..There are a few maroon items that are so dark they might pass for blackтАжтАжSo today, shall I wear black, or shall I wear black?

Brad the Impala
October 23rd, 2008, 01:33
Of course Usnisa, a privileged minor royal who is a fashion reporter, is truly representative of the wide spectrum of Thai views.

October 23rd, 2008, 01:50
Of course Usnisa, a privileged minor royal who is a fashion reporter, is truly representative of the wide spectrum of Thai views.

Is she? I was not aware of that, and just considered it "a" Thai view, like the others given here, rather than "the" Thai view.

October 23rd, 2008, 09:39
You call it sidetracked, I call it disrupted, off subject and disrespectful of original post. If you want to talk about the wearing of black start a thread on it. But lets help the guy find an apartment as he asked.

October 23rd, 2008, 10:28
You call it sidetracked, I call it disrupted, off subject and disrespectful of original post."Disrespectful" :drunken:

bigben
October 24th, 2008, 06:37
To O/P,

I cannot help you finding an apartment but I will share my experience at Center Condo.

This was about 2 years ago when I walked into the down stair offices of Center Condo. They showed me a few rooms and we discussed price.

I noticed construction taking place on several of the floors and asked when the construction would be finished. The staff assured me that all construction was to be completed within a couple of days.

Since I wasn't ready to move from my house in Jomtiem for 3 weeks, I gave them 4,000 baht which they requested to "Hold" the room I wanted.

I came back a few days before I was to pay deposits and rent to check on the place.

To my surprise not only had the construction not finished as promised by the staff, there were more rooms on other floors just starting construction process.

I do not know why the noise travels through-out apartment buildings in Thailand, but no matter what floor you reside on, if there is tile cutting or any type of re-modeling going on in a building you are living in, you hear it as if it was happening next door.

I asked for my money back (deposit of 4k) because I cannot sleep or relax with the noise level and that they had promised all would be finished in a few days.

Lesson learned: Do not believe apartment staff at Center condo. They lie and will cheat you if given a chance. The smiling faces when showing me the rooms and taking the deposit were all frowns when I tried to have my money returned.

I am sure not all apartment/condo staff are like this, but at Center Condo they certainly don't care and will say anything to rent you a room.

Buyer beware....or in this case, renter beware.

In hindsight, maybe I offended them with the black shirt I was wearing the day I requested my money back....

As this was over two years ago, maybe all the re-modeling has finished and it may be a decent place to live, but that doesn't change my opinion of the management staff at Center Condos.

October 24th, 2008, 07:01
I do not know why the noise travels through-out apartment buildings in Thailand, but no matter what floor you reside on, if there is tile cutting or any type of re-modeling going on in a building you are living in, you hear it as if it was happening next door. Thai building standards are generally very poor - one of the many reasons I would never buy here

Lesson learned: Do not believe apartment staff at Center condo. They lie and will cheat you if given a chance. The smiling faces when showing me the rooms and taking the deposit were all frowns when I tried to have my money returned.I'd have thought you have to be a real first-timer in Thailand not to understand that culturally the Thais believe that the answer they should give to any question, if not "up to you", is the one that in their own minds is "what does this person want to hear?". It's all to do with face - tell someone something that they think will lose them face is culturally unacceptable. It goes along with the smiles - the Thais smile so as to avoid conflict, not because they are happy-go-lucky. A country full of happy-go-lucky people does not have a murder rate higher than New York City at its worst

francois
October 25th, 2008, 00:05
To O/P,

In hindsight, maybe I offended them with the black shirt I was wearing the day I requested my money back....

As this was over two years ago, maybe all the re-modeling has finished and it may be a decent place to live, but that doesn't change my opinion of the management staff at Center Condos.

For sure it was the black shirt!

The remodeling goes on year after year but there is a moratorium during high season. Most remodeling is done by condo owners and beyond direct control of management. But the management, as stated, says what you want to hear and are incompetent.

October 25th, 2008, 01:12
A country full of happy-go-lucky people does not have a murder rate higher than New York City at its worst

Murder rate per 100,000 in Thailand: 8.47

Murder rate per 100,000 in "New York City at its worst": 30.8 (1990)

Unsurprisingly, Homi is wrong again - disappointing for someone who repeatedly corrects others on their accuracy ("If you want people to misunderstand you, by all means be careless"), but expected .

To be fair to New York, however, New York city is now rated as the safest large city in America, with a murder rate of 6.9 per 100,000 (compared to, for example, Washington, DC with a rate of 45.8 or London with a rate of 2.4, and the UK with a rate of 1.4 overall).

jimnbkk
October 25th, 2008, 04:29
Many of the new buildings under construction in Pattaya/Jomtien are not up to the standards of, say New York City, but barring an earthquake, they should be ok in my opinion. They have after all been building concrete structures for a long time around here.

The unbearable noise comes from the pneumatic hammers that they use to dig up the tiles on the floors of condos as they remodel. Because people don't use carpet here (much quieter to replace), when mama wants a new floor, they gotta dig up the old one, and they're glued down quite securely. And, in a concrete building that results in a lot of noise being transmitted through the concrete throughout the building.

October 25th, 2008, 04:53
Many of the new buildings under construction in Pattaya/Jomtien are not up to the standards of, say New York City, but barring an earthquake, they should be ok in my opinion. They have after all been building concrete structures for a long time around here. This is a layman's opinion or you have some professional qualifications?

rincondog
October 26th, 2008, 02:47
Fattman: Interesting that in the wake of 9/11, TV interviews with a number of US engineers and architects were quoted as saying the the US lagged behind Asian building standards.

Which engineers and architects made this statement and where were they located. Building codes vary widely in the US. Each state is different and within states local codes vary widely. I'm sure, just as Asian building codes vary widely from country to country. Or are you merely following your tagline and making things up?