PDA

View Full Version : A further note on "racism"

October 15th, 2008, 22:59
When I joined the Peace Corps in 1968, I was a sheltered middle-class boy of 22 headed off for Tunisia.

I grew up in La Jolla, and the model I held in my mind was: "nice people from abroad come to live in America" -- from American Field Service students. They would move in with American families, share the work, and learn English.

When I went to Tunisia, this was the ideal I had in mind. So I went south to Gabes, rented a house with three other Tunisian teachers (we were all working at the same high school), and settled down to learning Arabic and Tunisian culture. I was at that time a complete virgin, unaware of the sound of two guys fucking, and so it was only some ten years later that I realized Mohamed was fucking Husain. (I could hear the noise through the wall, but didn't know what it was.)

The royal sexual ceremony happened once every week or two. I only noticed that Husain was (if you stretched it) a bit feminine. but Mohamed seemed to be a very reliable top.

So I was living on $60 a month, with my colleagues. While two of them were fucking, I had nothing.... until I began to understand Tunisia.

But the point of this all is as follows: when my fellow Peace Corps volunteers and I had a re-union, I discovered the rather amazing fact that I had been the ONLY ONE who lived with Tunisians! All of the other Americans lived with American roomies. The adventurous minority included a French roomie, and there were even one or two who lived with both French and (a) (token) Tunisian.

I like to think about this when un-thinking political robots cruise in and call me "racist" or "fascist."

Yeah, I know you. You're all talk and no action.

The same thing happened to me in Iran.

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 16th, 2008, 07:36
OK we got the message..you like to f**k Arabs.

cottmann
October 16th, 2008, 10:35

And Persians (most Iranians aren't Arab).

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 16th, 2008, 12:11
"I like to think about this when un-thinking political robots cruise in and call me "racist" or "fascist." "

So you were still a virgin at 22 ?. Now that explains a lot.

I don't think anyone on here has called you a racist or fascist..although I've probably called you the very worst insult I can think of..a gay Republican ! :cheers:

October 16th, 2008, 12:22
..although I've probably called you the very worst insult I can think of..a gay Republican!Not an Irish republican then?

Aunty
October 16th, 2008, 12:26

And you do too, you painted Jeezabel!

A virgin at 22, only in America! lol

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 16th, 2008, 22:14

And you do too, you painted Jeezabel!

guilty as charged yor honour.

October 16th, 2008, 23:45
But the point of this all is as follows: when my fellow Peace Corps volunteers and I had a re-union, I discovered the rather amazing fact that I had been the ONLY ONE who lived with Tunisians! All of the other Americans lived with American roomies. The adventurous minority included a French roomie, and there were even one or two who lived with both French and (a) (token) Tunisian.

What point? This has nothing to do with "racism" - simply naivety, and a lack of knowledge of what your fellow Americans were doing which appears to continue to this day.