PDA

View Full Version : Phayathai District Fun Places??

camperboy
October 15th, 2008, 15:52
Will be staying at

Karnmanee Palace Hotel

1 Pradiphat Road
Phayathai District
Bangkok 10400

Obviously I am quite clueless about the gay places so I need help... Any places around my area? Or how can I go to happening places from the hotel...?

A friend says my place is far from those places....is it true?

Help appreciated...
:flower: :flower:

October 15th, 2008, 16:04
http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/qui ... e=0&Area=4 (http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/quickselect/1/?Type=0&Area=4)

camperboy
October 15th, 2008, 16:08
Is it far from Soi Thantawan...or the palace?

camperboy
October 15th, 2008, 16:09
first of all why you chose to stay there ...you must of had reasons

Friend having a meeting there...

camperboy
October 15th, 2008, 16:11
must be a boring place to be... so sad.

October 15th, 2008, 16:16
Or how can I go to happening places from the hotel...?See the BTS map - http://www.bts.co.th/en/map.asp# - get on at Phya Thai station, change at Siam, go to Sala Daeng - 15 minutes, tops. It may still be running when you go back to the hotel, otherwise taxis aren't that expensive. I used to live out there when I first came to Bangkok; I suspect a taxi would be under 100 baht

camperboy
October 15th, 2008, 16:21
Or how can I go to happening places from the hotel...?See the BTS map - http://www.bts.co.th/en/map.asp# - get on at Phya Thai station, change at Siam, go to Sala Daeng - 15 minutes, tops. It may still be running when you go back to the hotel, otherwise taxis aren't that expensive. I used to live out there when I first came to Bangkok; I suspect a taxi would be under 100 baht

I assume this is to the gay district??

So worried if the taxis might rip me off...heheh

camperboy
October 15th, 2008, 16:23
must be a boring place to be... so sad.[/quot

basically i been BKK once so easy to get to places 1 of the regulars will help you as im new and learning The Karnmanee Palace located in the heart of bangkok's business, shopping and entertainment districts..... this is what i found about your hotel ...so it looks good.... you only 5 mins from skytrain which is the best way into gay area...... look at my post "where can i find a young man" it will help you

Bangkok International Airport 20 mins
Train Station 20 mins
Chatujak sunday market 10 mins
BTS(Sky Train) 5 mins
Central Plaza 15 mins
World trade center 15 mins

thank you... have read your post! but am still clueless... haha

October 15th, 2008, 16:27
I assume this is to the gay district??Yes

So worried if the taxis might rip me off...hehehThey are supposed to use their meters. Assuming you are with a boy, you can get him to insist if you are reluctant and the driver doesn't do so automatically

Smiles
October 15th, 2008, 16:47
" ... Obviously I am quite clueless about the gay places so I need help... Any places around my area? Or how can I go to happening places from the hotel...?
A friend says my place is far from those places....is it true?
Help appreciated... :flower: :flower:
The Karnmanee Hotel is located in Saphan Kwai, and the nearest Skytrain station to the Karnmannee is Saphan Kwai, not Phaya Thai (as Herr Homintern writes above). It's a decent, basic hotel with a reasonable price for Bangkok. It's has a rooftop pool, and offers the same same run of the mill buffet breakfast included in the price as so many other 'midde' hotels do ... very comparable to the Pinnacle Lumphini on most levels We've stayed there many times and can recommend it if you are looking for 'clean/basic' rather than luxury.

Saphan Kwai neighbourhood has lots of small gogo and host bars in some of the sois off Pradiphat Rd, but haven't been to any for some time. They are more laid back than the Silom/Suriwong places and are often favourites of Bangkok long-termers. The link above to DreadedNed maps will help you find the names ... though bars there change often and the maps on DN may be outdated in some cases.

Taxis in Bangkok will only rip you off if they refuse to use their meters. This happens more often at night, and is a fairly frequent attempt in Silom area. Always open the taxi passenger door first and ~ standing outside ~ tell the driver where you want to go, and that he uses the meter. If he says no to the meter thing, don't whine or complain, just say thanks-but-no-thanks and shut the door and try another taxi. You'll have no trouble getting one a few minutes later.

I wonder why gra45 is offering advice on such things as he has already posted an incredibly naive thread along the same line (" ... what is a telephone bar ... ?") and has been to Bangkok once.

Cheers ...

October 15th, 2008, 17:00
The Karnmanee Hotel is located in Saphan Kwai, and the nearest Skytrain station to the Karnmannee is Saphan Kwai, not Phaya Thai (as Herr Homintern writes above). In my defence, I merely relied on the question asked in the topic. I did wonder at one point whether the two-newbie dialogue (I have gra45 on {Ignore}) was a Marx Brothers routine that I was feeding inadvertently

Smiles
October 15th, 2008, 17:15
" ... can someone ask HOMI why he ignore me and tell him i do like his advice ... "
(HINT): Think: " ... I do not suffer fools gladly ... ", then repeat on the blackboard 3000 times.

Helping out, I have sent your message above to The Face Sitter (or Sitee) by PM.
You're welcome.

Cheers ...

llz
October 15th, 2008, 18:04
Or how can I go to happening places from the hotel...?See the BTS map - http://www.bts.co.th/en/map.asp# - get on at Phya Thai station, change at Siam, go to Sala Daeng - 15 minutes, tops.

This is for the tourist gay district. As for the gay district for thais and farangs-in-the-know, it starts right in front of your hotel (Eagle Pub host bar, few boys but mostly very cute, and friendly owner).

camperboy
October 16th, 2008, 00:44
Or how can I go to happening places from the hotel...?See the BTS map - http://www.bts.co.th/en/map.asp# - get on at Phya Thai station, change at Siam, go to Sala Daeng - 15 minutes, tops.

This is for the tourist gay district. As for the gay district for thais and farangs-in-the-know, it starts right in front of your hotel (Eagle Pub host bar, few boys but mostly very cute, and friendly owner).
o

whats the diff between host and gogo bars?? the eagle pub is in front of my hotel?

Brad the Impala
October 16th, 2008, 02:02
The guys wear clothes in a host bar.

llz
October 16th, 2008, 02:53
the eagle pub is in front of my hotel?
You'll just have to cross Pradiphat Road (which is quite an adventure I have to say). There is no doorman - and hardly a sign - in front of this bar but you should find easily the entrance door which opens directly on the main street.
On your side of the road going back to the east (or skytrain if you prefer) you will find at night a great open-air restaurant which is called Rakhang Thong, and further east in a small soi there is Charmming Bar which is said to have (and has ...) beautiful hosts - at least if you like your boys to be ... boys.
For more directions in the area, go to Saphan Khwai map by Dreaded Ned (http://dreadedned.com/directory/map/1/3/) ; Karnmanee hotel is listed as well as all interesting places. If you happen to be there next Sunday or Monday, you could even have a free guide only by sending me a private e-mail ...
However I think you'd better do the tourist thing in Silom first before discovering the Saphan Khwai treasures, because not everyone likes them.

camperboy
October 16th, 2008, 08:28
the eagle pub is in front of my hotel?
You'll just have to cross Pradiphat Road (which is quite an adventure I have to say). There is no doorman - and hardly a sign - in front of this bar but you should find easily the entrance door which opens directly on the main street.
On your side of the road going back to the east (or skytrain if you prefer) you will find at night a great open-air restaurant which is called Rakhang Thong, and further east in a small soi there is Charmming Bar which is said to have (and has ...) beautiful hosts - at least if you like your boys to be ... boys.
For more directions in the area, go to Saphan Khwai map by Dreaded Ned (http://dreadedned.com/directory/map/1/3/) ; Karnmanee hotel is listed as well as all interesting places. If you happen to be there next Sunday or Monday, you could even have a free guide only by sending me a private e-mail ...
However I think you'd better do the tourist thing in Silom first before discovering the Saphan Khwai treasures, because not everyone likes them.

Wow thank you! I saw from the map there is Be High gogo bar... Is it any good?? How do Host bar work? Normal pub? Oh and Im arriving tuesday 21st... hahah

camperboy
October 16th, 2008, 21:21
no more help?

llz
October 17th, 2008, 00:49
Be High was a good bar with the shortest briefs you could see in Bangkok. However I was very disappointed by the selection of boys when I went there last June. Hope it has improved since, I will throw a short report next Monday.
As for the host bars, they work like the gogo bars in that you have to invite the boy to sit with you, the only difference being he is fully dressed - which I find more exciting.
Most bars in SK are karaoke bars, so you could find yourself not really at ease if some chinese rich customer starts singing ... This is why I said you should go to the Silom bars first ; Saphan Kwai bars are a little bit intimidating for the newcomer.

camperboy
October 17th, 2008, 08:35
Be High was a good bar with the shortest briefs you could see in Bangkok. However I was very disappointed by the selection of boys when I went there last June. Hope it has improved since, I will throw a short report next Monday.
As for the host bars, they work like the gogo bars in that you have to invite the boy to sit with you, the only difference being he is fully dressed - which I find more exciting.
Most bars in SK are karaoke bars, so you could find yourself not really at ease if some chinese rich customer starts singing ... This is why I said you should go to the Silom bars first ; Saphan Kwai bars are a little bit intimidating for the newcomer.

And how much will the charges be at Host bar??

But is it safe for a first timer to go alone to Silom?? Is it far?

camperboy
October 17th, 2008, 09:19
oh one more thing...gym fitness first...is it nearby?

llz
October 17th, 2008, 12:28
Last June in U-Turn Bar (next door to Street Boy) one drink was 120 THB and off fee 300 THB.
It is quite safe to go to Silom and very easy as said above (sky train from Saphan Kwai to Sala Daeng and then a 10 minutes walk across Phatphong market or along Rama IV).
As for gyms I don't know, but you could try 39 Undergound Sauna near the skytrain station or V-Club on Phahonyothin Soi 7 ; see Dreaded Ned website for details.

October 17th, 2008, 14:14
Camperboy - Since I have replied to you before, I know that this will be your first time in Bangkok. And that you're Singaporean, and not an elderly gwailo like most people here assume others to be. Your trip to Bangkok is short, on business and you want to get what you're looking for quickly.

Take Smiles' advice - go to the Silom/Surawong district first before the bars of Saphan Kwai. The Silom/Surawong area is more tourist-oriented, with more English spoken. The gogo-bars in that area show more skin. The karaoke and host bars of Saphan Kwai generally hardly use English at all and the bar boys are dressed in street clothes.

First: get a map. I am shocked at how many first time visitors to a big city like Bangkok think they can find their way around without a good detailed map (to scale). The money you spend on a good map is worth every penny that you save in unnecessary taxi-fares (because you learn to use the Skytrain quickly) and is priceless in avoiding a waste of time getting lost - or waste of time stuck in taxis, due to traffic jams.

The rest of this message assumes you have a map in hand. If you don't, you're on your own, buddy.

Second: Find you way from your hotel to the Saphan Kwai Skytrain station and buy a ticket to Saladaeng. Take a train that heads towards On Nut, but get off at Siam Station. Siam Station is the main interchange station. Do not exit Siam, but change to the train that goes towards Saphan Taksin. Get off at Saladaeng station.

Using your map find your way to the following gay alleys and check them out.
1. Silom soi 2 - the famous DJ station - a gay disco; it only gets happening after 11.30 pm. (Find the place first, and if you like it, go back close to midnight.)
2. Silom soi 2/1 - G.O.D. disco.
3. Silom soi 4 - Telephone bar, Balcony bar. Good for an after-dinner drink.

Then walk through Patpong soi 2 and as you near the Surawong Road end of this soi, look out for Screw Boy gogo bar.

When you reach Surawong Road, you have 2 options:

(A) Turn left without crossing the road. Thread your way through vendors and touts to Soi Tarntawan. Just 20 metres inside this soi is your heaven: Tawan muscleboy gogo bar.

(B) Alternatively, turn right without crossing Surawong road and after 200-300 metres, you will find a neon sign (you have to look hard amdist many other neon signs) that says "Suriwongse Hotel". That is the first of the 2 short-time hotels earlier posts have recommended to you.

At that location, cross Surawong Road and you will soon find the entrance to Soi Twilight. You can't miss it. It's full of neon signs that say "X-Boys", "Dream Boys" and so on. Do not go into this soi yet, tempting though it may be. Keep walking on this side of Surawong Road till you reach Rama 4 road and turn left at that junction. Walk on the sidewalk for about 200 metres and you'll see BBB Inn, which is the short time hotel others have referred to.

Once you have found these places and oriented yourself, you can choose and go back to the establishment that you want to spend the evening in.

Check out my shameless blog for some additional info and maps:
http://www.freeblognetwork.com/shamelessmack

October 17th, 2008, 14:22
There is a California Fitness gym on Silom Road. Go to Saladaeng Skytrain Station, get off on the south side of Silom Road and walk about 400 metres in the southwest directtion until you reach the corner, Silom/Convent Road. Cross Convent Road and you're standing right in front of California Fitness.

krobbie
October 17th, 2008, 16:40
I am in awe of your guiding skills. I have never seen such a detailed descriptor. I positively enjoyed the walk (in my mind).

As you say ... the BTS is key to conserving both time and money. It is amazing just how quickly one becomes proficient with this rail system. I had the small BTS map with me the first time I came and it's just as well.

Keep up the good work, you'll get the BKK Hospitality award yet.

Cheers
krobbie

October 17th, 2008, 16:58
I had the small BTS map with me the first time I came and it's just as well.Yes, cumming unexpectedly can be a problem and those little maps can hide an embarrassing moment. However, you must have lost your virginity pretty late in life?

October 17th, 2008, 19:03

The best branch of Fitness First in downtown Bangkok is opposite Lumpini Park in the same complex as the LH Bank, close to the Lumpini MRT station. They provide uniforms, towels, etc against your international membership. Get a letter or "passport" from your local gym before travelling though. This is walking distance to Babylon Sauna which is a popular local resting facility for homosexuals.

camperboy
October 17th, 2008, 23:18

The best branch of Fitness First in downtown Bangkok is opposite Lumpini Park in the same complex as the LH Bank, close to the Lumpini MRT station. They provide uniforms, towels, etc against your international membership. Get a letter or "passport" from your local gym before travelling though. This is walking distance to Babylon Sauna which is a popular local resting facility for homosexuals.

Hmm...i do have passport membership...so i guess im safe... hehehe

camperboy
October 17th, 2008, 23:21
Camperboy - Since I have replied to you before, I know that this will be your first time in Bangkok. And that you're Singaporean, and not an elderly gwailo like most people here assume others to be. Your trip to Bangkok is short, on business and you want to get what you're looking for quickly.

Take Smiles' advice - go to the Silom/Surawong district first before the bars of Saphan Kwai. The Silom/Surawong area is more tourist-oriented, with more English spoken. The gogo-bars in that area show more skin. The karaoke and host bars of Saphan Kwai generally hardly use English at all and the bar boys are dressed in street clothes.

First: get a map. I am shocked at how many first time visitors to a big city like Bangkok think they can find their way around without a good detailed map (to scale). The money you spend on a good map is worth every penny that you save in unnecessary taxi-fares (because you learn to use the Skytrain quickly) and is priceless in avoiding a waste of time getting lost - or waste of time stuck in taxis, due to traffic jams.

The rest of this message assumes you have a map in hand. If you don't, you're on your own, buddy.

Second: Find you way from your hotel to the Saphan Kwai Skytrain station and buy a ticket to Saladaeng. Take a train that heads towards On Nut, but get off at Siam Station. Siam Station is the main interchange station. Do not exit Siam, but change to the train that goes towards Saphan Taksin. Get off at Saladaeng station.

Using your map find your way to the following gay alleys and check them out.
1. Silom soi 2 - the famous DJ station - a gay disco; it only gets happening after 11.30 pm. (Find the place first, and if you like it, go back close to midnight.)
2. Silom soi 2/1 - G.O.D. disco.
3. Silom soi 4 - Telephone bar, Balcony bar. Good for an after-dinner drink.

Then walk through Patpong soi 2 and as you near the Surawong Road end of this soi, look out for Screw Boy gogo bar.

When you reach Surawong Road, you have 2 options:

(A) Turn left without crossing the road. Thread your way through vendors and touts to Soi Tarntawan. Just 20 metres inside this soi is your heaven: Tawan muscleboy gogo bar.

(B) Alternatively, turn right without crossing Surawong road and after 200-300 metres, you will find a neon sign (you have to look hard amdist many other neon signs) that says "Suriwongse Hotel". That is the first of the 2 short-time hotels earlier posts have recommended to you.

At that location, cross Surawong Road and you will soon find the entrance to Soi Twilight. You can't miss it. It's full of neon signs that say "X-Boys", "Dream Boys" and so on. Do not go into this soi yet, tempting though it may be. Keep walking on this side of Surawong Road till you reach Rama 4 road and turn left at that junction. Walk on the sidewalk for about 200 metres and you'll see BBB Inn, which is the short time hotel others have referred to.

Once you have found these places and oriented yourself, you can choose and go back to the establishment that you want to spend the evening in.

Check out my shameless blog for some additional info and maps:
http://www.freeblognetwork.com/shamelessmack

Wow thank you!! This is very detailed! Appreciate it very much!! Yeap, I guess I will get maps of thailand upon arrival! Also what time will the train services end? Cos i do not want to end up taking a cab and being ripped off of 1000Baht maybe? hahaha

So if i were to go to host bar, am i required to buy the boys drink too? thanks a million once again!

And oh btw, your blog is good and informative! added to favourites! :drunken: :drunken:

October 18th, 2008, 11:14
Wow thank you!! This is very detailed! Appreciate it very much!! Yeap, I guess I will get maps of thailand upon arrival! Also what time will the train services end? Cos i do not want to end up taking a cab and being ripped off of 1000Baht maybe? hahaha

Trains end around 11 or 11:30 pm. Taxis taken from Silom Road or Surawong Road will likely refuse to use the meter, if boarded in the evening, and almost surely refuse to use it if boarded after 11 pm. Please don't encourage this by trying to bargain. Go to Rama IV Road, preferably the opposite side away from Silom and Surawong. Make sure they turn on the meter (fare should start at 35 baht). The trip back to Saphan Kwai area shouldn't cost you more than 100 baht.... maybe a bit more nowadays, since I heard that they have readjusted the meter rates recently.

So if i were to go to host bar, am i required to buy the boys drink too? thanks a million once again!

You are expected to buy a boy a drink once you indicate that you wish to speak with him.

TrongpaiExpat
October 18th, 2008, 12:31

Fitness First Lumpini branch is one of the newest but Landmark is not bad either and you can use the pool at the hotel. The one with the most gay people cruising seems to be The Mall Bangkapi.

A resting facility?

www.fitnessfirst.co.th/th/clubinfo/main.asp (http://www.fitnessfirst.co.th/th/clubinfo/main.asp)

camperboy
October 19th, 2008, 00:00
thanks guys!!

the tips and comments are great....guess now i just have to experience it myself...

Will tell you guys of my experience.....or not.. hahaha

October 19th, 2008, 02:04
Camperboy .... you're Singaporean, and not an elderly gwailo like most people here assume others to be

I, too, looked rather better fifteen years ago than I do now!

October 19th, 2008, 18:14
Camperboy .... you're Singaporean, and not an elderly gwailo like most people here assume others to be

I, too, looked rather better fifteen years ago than I do now!

All that drinking is bound to take its toll, Gone Pissing.

camperboy
October 20th, 2008, 09:19
one more day to go to sin city! :cheers: :cheers:

llz
October 20th, 2008, 12:25
Campie you have to know that "Be High" gogo bar in Saphan Kwai is well worth visiting again, except if you like ladyboys because there is no one to be seen....
Have a nice trip to paradise ; you should realise that your life could be completely changed after this first stay in Thailand ...

camperboy
October 20th, 2008, 17:47
Campie you have to know that "Be High" gogo bar in Saphan Kwai is well worth visiting again, except if you like ladyboys because there is no one to be seen....
Have a nice trip to paradise ; you should realise that your life could be completely changed after this first stay in Thailand ...

I dun like ladyboys.. hahhaa

I know...im so excited!! cant wait...THAIS ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!!