PDA

View Full Version : Dentist in Pattaya

October 11th, 2008, 14:46
Dear Members

Does anyone know a good and trustworthy dentist in Pattaya ? Any help would be highly apreciated !

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 11th, 2008, 15:15
Dear Members

Does anyone know a good and trustworthy dentist in Pattaya ? Any help would be highly apreciated !

here we go again..the dentist beside the Dusit Resort entrance (in the pink stand-alone building) is my favourite. Not only is he fabulously handsome and talented but he spends 2 days in Bangkok teaching dentistry at Bumrumgrad hospital. Prices are so cheap you would drop dead..about a tenth of western prices. This dentist is the gentlest I have ever encountered..I am yet to feel a needle he has given me. And his work is superb.

Others of course will have their favourites.

October 11th, 2008, 15:31
I am yet to feel a needle he has given meOh so that's what you meant when you told me last week over lunch "I haven't had a prick in twenty years"

October 11th, 2008, 16:17
Dear Members

I've good experiences with the dentist in the Pattaya Memorial Hospital. Absolute painless double root-canal-treatment and crown placement.
THB 15,000.
Just hop in there and make an appointment, very friendly people.

October 11th, 2008, 20:14
Dear Members

My dentist is in Jomtien "Smile time" Dr Preecha 406/335 Phratamnak Road. He is excellent and not pricey. Very near Mignon restaurant halfway between Family Mart and 7/11

thrillbill
October 11th, 2008, 23:11
Dr. Tepeset(not correct spelling). Great person...Thai but was raised and educated in the States. I don't like dentists and have run into some questionable ones in LOS, this dentist you can trust. Good sense of humor.

Impulse
October 12th, 2008, 11:15
How well are the instruments cleaned by these dentist.I hear rave reviews of the dentistry here in Thailand...but. I get my teeth cleaned twice a year in the states and theres always some blood involved.The worst diseases are blood born,hep c,hiv. If the prices are so low,are they reusing stuff that should be thrown out? In Egypt a few years back,they reused syringes for an immunity shot and over a million people now have hep c.

Marsilius
October 12th, 2008, 15:46
Interesting to see, from the posts above, that dentists in Thailand are styled "Doctor X", "Doctor Y" or whatever. I recently discovered some surprising facts on that - certainly applicable to the UK and maybe to Thailand too?

In the UK, there is a growing trend for dentists to capitalise on the general public's ignorance by unilaterally calling themselves "Doctor", even though they do not actually have a qualification entitling them to do so. They are almost all rightly just "Mister". But it seems that, anxious to boost their social standing, UK dentists are now not only accepting it when patients call them "Doctor" but are also using it in their advertising, letterheads, nameplates, etc.

By the way, in actual fact, all medical practitioners in the UK ought also to be just "Mister X"* as all they possess is a Bachelor's degree in medicine [see http://www.yourgpguide.org.uk/Explanations.aspx for full details.] They are only "doctor X" in the sense that you or I might be "plumber X", "schoolteacher X" or "driving instructor X" - i.e. doctoring people is just the job they do, not their awarded qualification. When you are sick, you are calling in a doctor - not calling in the Doctor! Note too, by the way, how the very top medical practitioners - hospital consultants - are all happy to be called just "Mister", i.e. accepting both that they do not have an awarded doctorate in anything and that they are no longer "doctoring" directly to patients either.

* Except for a very small minority of medical researchers who might have gone on to obtain a PhD.

October 12th, 2008, 15:52
or maybe people who aren't doctors (ie medical practitioners) shouldnt be called Doctor? a person who has a PhD in economics is still an economist, not a doctor

October 12th, 2008, 16:32
or maybe people who aren't doctors (ie medical practitioners) shouldnt be called Doctor? a person who has a PhD in economics is still an economist, not a doctorYou are confusing the term "doctor" with "medical practitioner". Anyone holding a doctorate is entitled to be called "Doctor" if they so wish. Educated people are aware that a Doctor of Medicine is not the only sort of doctorate

October 12th, 2008, 18:28
It can be a bit confusing but in the UK:

General Practioners working in the Communites and Physicians working in Hospitals are called "Doctor" irrespective of whether they have a Doctorate in Medicine (MD) or not.
Surgeons are always "Mr" whether consultants or not
Consultant Physicians are called "Doctor" other Consultants are called "Mr"
Beacause they are Surgeons Dentists are called "Mr", however as mentioned above, they are beginning to call themselves "Doctor"

In the USA and most other countries all the above are called "Doctors"

mahjongguy
October 13th, 2008, 06:15
"It can be a bit confusing..."

Glad I don't live in the UK. I'd never get it sorted out.

In the USA it's simple indeed. Either you are a Doctor or you are not, and you are not a Doctor unless the government says so. This means the full ride: medical school, internship, residency, certification by an accredited hospital, and a license from the state. This takes at least 8 years.

And you can't be a Dentist unless you are first a Doctor.

And because of the status that is associated with the title of Doctor, Americans consider it to be in very poor taste to call yourself "Doctor Smith" or "Dr. Jones" if you only possess a doctorate in some non-medical field.

topjohn5
October 13th, 2008, 06:21

Glad I don't live in the UK. I'd never get it sorted out.

In the USA it's simple indeed. Either you are a Doctor or you are not, and you are not a Doctor unless the government says so. This means the full ride: medical school, internship, residency, certification by an accredited hospital, and a license from the state. This takes at least 8 years.

And you can't be a Dentist unless you are first a Doctor.

And because of the status that is associated with the title of Doctor, Americans consider it to be in very poor taste to call yourself "Doctor Smith" or "Dr. Jones" if you only possess a doctorate in some non-medical field.

Yes, simple like my Chiropractor who calls himself a doctor......

October 13th, 2008, 07:48
And because of the status that is associated with the title of Doctor, Americans consider it to be in very poor taste to call yourself "Doctor Smith" or "Dr. Jones" if you only possess a doctorate in some non-medical field.I learn something new every day! Americans have a concept of "good taste" :bounce:

francois
October 13th, 2008, 08:40

Tell that to Dr. Einstein! Albert, that is.

October 13th, 2008, 08:43
Tell that to Dr. Einstein! Albert, that is.I'm not sure I'd want Dr Kissinger performing a rectal procedure on me :idea:

Geezer
October 13th, 2008, 12:04
тАЬAnd because of the status that is associated with the title of Doctor, Americans consider it to be in very poor taste to call yourself "Doctor Smith" or "Dr. Jones" if you only possess a doctorate in some non-medicalfield.тАЭ

Of course there is no dearth of chiropractors, secondary education hacks, etc, etc seeking to inflate their status with the term, тАЬDoctorтАЬ. A fascinating case walks among us here in Pattaya.

Dr. Basel Wainwright introduced himself, and gave his card to me at Mignon in Jomtien. A glance at the card activated my Charlatan Alert. I could hardly wait to get home and Google the good Doctor.

Wow! I had been in the presence of a celebrity.

http://www.truthaboutbasilwainwright.com/

October 13th, 2008, 13:20
seems to be just a case of snobbery, a bit like military (or ex-military) people insisting on being referred to by their military rank, even by civillians

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 13th, 2008, 15:52
How well are the instruments cleaned by these dentist.I hear rave reviews of the dentistry here in Thailand...but. I get my teeth cleaned twice a year in the states and theres always some blood involved.The worst diseases are blood born,hep c,hiv. If the prices are so low,are they reusing stuff that should be thrown out? In Egypt a few years back,they reused syringes for an immunity shot and over a million people now have hep c.

yes, they are scrupulously clean, have the latest equipment and often more up to date with the latest trends than western dentists.

Or go to Budapest where the deals are slightly better than Thailand.

mahjongguy
October 14th, 2008, 08:43
Tell that to Dr. Einstein! Albert, that is.

Einstein was German and was accustomed to being called Doctor, so when he was in the States many may have done so in respect. An exception for an exceptional man.

Kissinger is Mister Kissinger, although it is legit to call him Secretary Kissinger or Mister Secretary.

The US is not Italy, where you flatter everyone who ever attended university by calling them Dottore.

Some chiropractors in the US really are doctors, in that they have a medical license, but most are just deluded physical therapists.

The purpose of this verbal distinction in America is that only licensed Doctors can prescribe medicine. It is a powerful difference and thus their status. This takes us back to thread. In the US a dentist must be a real doctor first, because he needs to possess and inject drugs like Procaine and write prescriptions for antibiotics and such. This results in somewhat higher costs for dentistry but it eliminates a lot of quacks.

October 14th, 2008, 09:56
Kissinger is Mister Kissinger, although it is legit to call him Secretary Kissinger or Mister Secretary.Ah yes, this bizarre notion that the US has of bestowing life-time titles on people, however short a time they held the office. No-one outside the US would dream (at least in polite society) of addressing him as anything but Dr Kissinger, as "Henry Kissinger received his B.A. degree summa cum laude at Harvard College in 1950, where he studied under William Yandell Elliott.[3] He received his M.A. and Ph.D. degrees at Harvard University in 1952 and 1954, respectively." ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Kissinger )

Marsilius
October 14th, 2008, 14:33
Kissinger is Mister Kissinger, although it is legit to call him Secretary Kissinger or Mister Secretary.Ah yes, this bizarre notion that the US has of bestowing life-time titles on people, however short a time they held the office.

As far as I can discern, this weird practice extends to carrying on calling ex-heads of state "President X" or "Mr President". At least in the UK we know that ex-heads of state become merely the Duke of Windsor or whatever.

October 14th, 2008, 14:38
At least in the UK we know that ex-heads of state become merely the Duke of Windsor or whatever.Aha, that explains why Lunchtime O'Booze is sometimes known as Doris Whatever

mahjongguy
October 15th, 2008, 08:36
[quote]Ah yes, this bizarre notion that the US has...[quote]

Bizarre? It's just a cultural difference. Something we do that you don't. No more bizarre than awarding titles through purchase.

October 15th, 2008, 09:56
Bizarre? It's just a cultural difference. Something we do that you don't. No more bizarre than awarding titles through purchase.That's a complete slander on my father and Lloyd George. Please apologise immediately :cherry:

Marsilius
October 15th, 2008, 11:46
Ah yes, this bizarre notion that the US has...[quote:3so0sl4h]

Bizarre? It's just a cultural difference. Something we do that you don't. No more bizarre than awarding titles through purchase.[/quote:3so0sl4h]

Aren't most US ambassadors - a nice title, "Mr Ambassador" - people who have got the post by being donors to the winning President's election campaign? If so, it sounds very much like purchasing a title to me!

brighton man
October 16th, 2008, 04:28
Does anyone know the approx price of implants ?

October 16th, 2008, 08:33
Does anyone know the approx price of implants ?You want to implant a dentist?

TrongpaiExpat
October 16th, 2008, 13:33
I have never had an implant but I go here and they seem to do a lot of implants. www.promjaidental.com/ (http://www.promjaidental.com/)

For an implant I would not just walk in some dentist office but would think it better to go to one of the clinics or better yet one of the clinics attached to a hospital.

I have had a lot of procedures where they tell me current research has revealed it is best to prep the tooth and then take antibiotics and wait a month or more to finish the tooth or do procedures in slow steps rather than all at once.

firecat69
October 16th, 2008, 21:04
I have had 4 implants done at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital

Dr Tapasitp is my primary dentist and the surgeon is a fairly young man whose name I have forgotten.

The work is excellent an .primarily pain free.

The cost however is not much less then I would pay in the USA.

It seems that impants are the one thing the surgeons feel they can charge for.

I think the reason being that there are not that many experienced implant surgeons.

I am sure you will find better price elsewhere but I would be cautious because if this surgetry goes bad it could be a very unpleasant experience.

Dr. Tapasitp being my primary dentist and the best I have ever had. He studied and practiced for 20 years in the USA and is very professional and honest.

When he recommended this surgeon I trusted his judgement and have been very happy with the work

Keep in mind it will take 2 visits probably at least 3 months apart depending on bone structure. First they put in the screws and then want the bone to grow around the screws before attaching the actual teeth.

Some dentists are performing the whole thing at once. Buyer Beware

Brad the Impala
October 16th, 2008, 21:24
Or go to Budapest where the deals are slightly better than Thailand.

I have found that the rates at BNH are still cheaper than the rates in Budapest. I would also have more confidence in the quality of work at BNH.