PDA

View Full Version : rail or road to Hua Hin

lonelywombat
October 11th, 2008, 10:48
We are planning to give Pattaya a miss next trip and Hua Hin often gets a mention, not only by Smiles If we hired a car with driver, there will be 2 probably 3, is there another city or resort we might include.

Is rail really an option?

markie1
October 11th, 2008, 11:12
Hua Hin is quite an easy drive , ,it takes about 3 hours from BKK on a good day by car , i have also taken Taxi's and the cost is around 3000 baht , i did actually get one for 2500 last year ,and i took a car and driver from Pataya for 3000.
hireing a car is a good option , then you can explore other places along the way .
It certainly makes a nice change there from pataya,although the gay scene is much Quieter,the bars are friendly

October 11th, 2008, 11:14
I prefer to take the train but then I am a bit of a railways lover.

andrewcraig
October 11th, 2008, 11:46
I prefer to take the train but then I am a bit of a railways lover.

Surely not in third class carriages. If I was going to do it on a train it would be in a sleeper or not at all

Beachlover
October 11th, 2008, 12:22
Grab a taxi (or a limo, if you're that way inclined). If you're with 2-3 people it will be as cheap as chips.

Although with the Aussie dollar going down like a lead balloon... it might not be quite as cheap as chips as it would otherwise...

Smiles
October 11th, 2008, 12:24
The problem with the train is not all southbound trains have 1st or 2nd aircon. And even then it's a bit of a milk run and takes a lot longer than the bus.
The bus is you're best bet. 185 baht for aircon bus, takes about 3 hrs from the South Bus Terminal in Thonburi and leaves very conveniently every half hour.
There is also an aircon bus to Hua Hin (same price) which leaves from Mo Chit Bus Terminal (Chatachuk), but I think only 4 a day.
The bus terminal in Hua Hin is right downtown and any hotel you might book is at most a 5 minute TukTuk ride.

Conversely (and this is a little touting on my part) my guy will come and pick you up in his aircon truck and drive you with great safety and care to Hua Hin for 2000 baht ... absolutely no extra! The truck has a backseat but is only suitable for one large farang (or two Thai guys ... or one middling farang plus a Thai guy).

Cheers ...

Hmmm
October 11th, 2008, 12:56
I can attest to the discomfort of the 3rd class train to/from Hua Hin. We tried to book ahead for a busy weekend in hot season but 3rd class was all that was available. The seats were rock hard moulded plastic and the 4 hour trip to Bangkok had blast furnace air coming through the window, punctuated only when we passed slowly through the pig farming district.
While Thai boys do tend to travel 3rd class, the eye candy wasn't worth the pain.
It's too short a trip for first class sleeper (fine for longer trips), so second class aircon would be the only acceptable option.

lonelywombat
October 11th, 2008, 14:36
If you're going to Hua Hin, go by road, stop over at the hilltop palace in Petchaburi (clearly visible from the road), makes a nice break on the way. From Hua Hin, head past Khao Takiab in the direction of Prachuabkirikhan (which is also worth a visit on its own) and in about 8-10km you'll see signs for a public beach inside an army camp (small entrance fee), and further on a really beautiful forest park adjoining the beach.

Thanks Smiles,hmmn and fattman for their suggestions and others who replied as well We are thinking of a circle trip
going south to hua Hin and coming back through a northern route. kinda looking for suggestions on either leg

Beachlover
October 11th, 2008, 15:03
Yo seicenors boy... you (spammer) are a lowlife arsewipe and you suck because there's no link to whatever you're flogging!

Muahahahaha

Take your spam and shove it up your tight Urethra... I hope it hurts.

:cheers:

krobbie
October 11th, 2008, 17:04
Earlier in the year my guy and I went to Hua Hin by aircon bus. We went all the way to Mo Chit for the connection as we were both unaware that there was one from Thonburi.

Whatever we had a 3 hour trip there and back. It isn't the most comfortable but it certainly isn't too bad. I think at that time it was, as Smiles says, about 160 - 180 baht (certainly not more). The bus stops on the way for a rest/comfort stop and to get some food and drink.

Obviously lonelywombat wants to see more of the countryside and I think that would be a great idea. We will probably get a car next time as it is quite beautiful country.

If you like a quieter more refined (less frantic) holiday, it's perfect. You may even bump into Suphot and Smiles. You can hardly help it as the town isn't huge just hugely interesting. We were taken to the old wooden and lovingly restored Summer Palace by a particularly nice local gent. What a serene day.

The beach in Hua Hin is beautiful and that is high praise from a New Zealander. It goes from town for miles along the coast. Also close by is Cha-Am and Pranburi. We grabbed a motorcy and headed to Cha-Am for the day. Good swimming there also.

Hua Hin is relaxed and carefree and the small bars are fun for a change. If you want to feel like you really have had a rest during your holiday, I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Some really interesting restaurants and the local folk don't seem to mind a few guests. Lots of Germans and Nordic types around and about, baking themselves to a crisp each day.

Cheers
krobbie

llz
October 11th, 2008, 18:01
If we hired a car with driver, there will be 2 probably 3, is there another city or resort we might include.
And of course the gay resorts in Ratburi province that were mentioned on a recent thread (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/photharam-gay-capital-of-the-west-t16067.html) are right on the way to/from Hua Hin ...

October 12th, 2008, 04:58
And of course the gay resorts in Ratburi province that were mentioned on a recent thread (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/photharam-gay-capital-of-the-west-t16067.html) are right on the way to/from Hua Hin ...Smiles you old devil!