PDA

View Full Version : Protests in BKK

kittyboy
October 7th, 2008, 22:28
I have been reading the US newspapers about the civil unrest in BKK. It is hard to get a gauge of what is actually happening. For those of you who live in BKK - How serious are these protests? Is it localized? I am not an alarmist but I do have a trip planned this winter and I was wondering how widespread are the protests?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=artslot (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/07/AR2008100700208.html?hpid=artslot)

October 7th, 2008, 22:30
It is extremely localized. There is no evidence of anything happening whatsoever in any place you are likely to find yourself. Life as normal, unless you happen to be a protester getting your head bashed in (deservedly, if you ask me).

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 7th, 2008, 22:36
Oh for God's sake ignore these stories of protests. They are always restricted to certain areas and they most certainly won't affect the gay areas (or straight sex spots for that matter). The added benefit is a whole lot men in uniform are in town ( and they do get time off).

If in doubt, bring a Utzi with you or purchase a stun gun, flick knife etc at a street stall while you are choosing the latest Louis Vuiton handbag.

These protests just add to the excitement-it's all just colour and movement..don't cancel your plans. Just go for it. Live dangerously. You only live once..well actually many times but you may get re-born as a cat, or a cockroach or a fat old lady so make the most of this lifetime.

kittyboy
October 8th, 2008, 00:24
Oh for God's sake ignore these stories of protests. They are always restricted to certain areas and they most certainly won't affect the gay areas (or straight sex spots for that matter). The added benefit is a whole lot men in uniform are in town ( and they do get time off).

If in doubt, bring a Utzi with you or purchase a stun gun, flick knife etc at a street stall while you are choosing the latest Louis Vuiton handbag.

These protests just add to the excitement-it's all just colour and movement..don't cancel your plans. Just go for it. Live dangerously. You only live once..well actually many times but you may get re-born as a cat, or a cockroach or a fat old lady so make the most of this lifetime.

I suspected that it was very localized but just wanted to check. I will be in Thailand for almost 5 weeks. I am looking forward to the trip. Last winter we had 106 inches of snow here in milwaukee.... it really sucked.

fedssocr
October 8th, 2008, 05:59
I am certainly not canceling my plans. Plenty of people will be though for sure now. I figure Thailand needs tourists now more than ever. So you will likely be treated even better than usual.

topjohn5
October 8th, 2008, 06:44
Even then I'm not missing my first trip this December....
I'll just chain myself to a bar boy or two in solidarity if that were to happen.... :idea:

October 8th, 2008, 07:15
I am certainly not canceling my plans. Plenty of people will be though for sure now. I figure Thailand needs tourists now more than ever. So you will likely be treated even better than usual.lonelywombat arrived last month and says that the number of tourists is about the same as previous years at this time. Perhaps he can give us an update from a tourist's perspective?

October 8th, 2008, 09:22
.... Life as normal, unless you happen to be a protester getting your head bashed in (deservedly, if you ask me).

Life as normal? Government paralyzed, foriegn investors fleeing, markets tanking, possibility of another coup and a return to the Military politics of pre '90's Thailand ?
Normal? I think you've been in the Jungle too long Chao Na.

Where is this going to end????

October 8th, 2008, 09:30
I'm talking about life at the street level, for normal people. Life is going on as normal.

October 8th, 2008, 18:36
Government paralyzed, foriegn investors fleeing, markets tanking, possibility of another coup and a return to the Military politics of pre '90's Thailand ?

Where is this going to end????

Pre-90's?

End?

The problems ARE getting worse, more polarized. However, having been through the worse of '92, I wouldn't worry much about it but stock the drinks for a week!