View Full Version : A Beginner Questions About Go Go Bars...

camperboy
October 7th, 2008, 13:16
Hey there...

Am new here, and going to BKK for my very first time soon.

Just want to know, how much does the avg go go boys cost if you want to take them home? I like my men muscular, so I assume Tawan is the best place for it. How much does one is expected to spend there?

And if my hotel room is not available, is there any cheaper alternatives in the club itself?

Thanksssss!! :bounce: :bounce:

Wesley
October 7th, 2008, 14:32
The cost for a guy is about 1000 depending on your generoisity, I have never used a short term room but, I am told they are availble and all you need is to ask the mamasan where and how close they are and how much. Like everything in Thailand, they will take as much as you will give them and usually be happy with what they get.All night should be about 1500 and a short runs between 600 and 1000 , Up to you joe.

Wes

camperboy
October 7th, 2008, 14:32
Woo... thank you wesley...

So the guys at Tawan can be booked for 1000??

Hmm, short term rooms... tats new..

thanks!! anymore info i should know abt?

camperboy
October 7th, 2008, 14:47

There are short time rooms (usually about three hours) at the Suriwong Hotel (not so nice) in Suriwong Road, and at BBB Inn around the corner in Rama 4 Road (comfortable and clean).

I see.

And how much is it?

Wesley
October 7th, 2008, 14:47

How much to pay a guy has been the debate of the froum for years, what I was quoting was a poll taken not to long ago where some pay as much as 2000 some as little as 600, The average guy long term pays about 1500 which is normal for long term. short term is between 6 and 1000, most usuallly pay on the top end of the scale but some will pay as little as 600. I think they may be locals who pay for it all year so 600 for them may be a lot. For those of us visisting its usually 1000 to 1500 over that is making it hard for the guy that can aford only 1500, less than that, IMHO a bit on the cheap side. But, like I said up to you. Usually you arrange a price and fee while with the mamasan to make sure the deal is understood between the two parties. The guy may not speak english well enough to barter with you. but, more than 1500 is a gift, some will say taxi money but, if you look up the last poll on itis subject, you will see it ranges for some all the way to 3000. If I were you I would use the search feature on the forum and in an evening , yiou should know as much as I do.

Wes

October 7th, 2008, 16:17
Always discuss how much and what you expect when taking a guy off. Should the guy be exactly as he claims or even better than you imagine then a small tip on top of the fee is always a good reward and will do much in how he and others(they all compare notes) regard you in the bar. I might also add that to avoid trouble you always pay the agreed amount even if the sex is lousy or the boy doesn't perform. Return to the bar and make your complaint there. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. And aways keep valuables (money phones gold ) out of sight and locked up. Only carry what money you think you will need for the night.

lonelywombat
October 7th, 2008, 17:10
The key factor is where you plan to stay. if in a 5 star hotel then you might not be able to get a friend in

Asking a question like this avoids the important part.

where will you stay. You may not have a problem

camperboy
October 7th, 2008, 17:31
wow...thanks for all the tips and infos!...

well the truth is,am going with str8 friends, so i cant bring the guys to
my hotel.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

andrewcraig
October 7th, 2008, 17:35

my hotel.

The Suriwong hotel is 300 yards from Tawan the other side of Patpong Short time rooms for about 300 baht

camperboy
October 7th, 2008, 17:40

my hotel.

The Suriwong hotel is 300 yards from Tawan the other side of Patpong Short time rooms for about 300 baht

Yeap. I guess for me, short term rooms is the way!... So max is 3hours rite??

:bigsmurf: :bigsmurf:

camperboy
October 7th, 2008, 18:03
cool.

oh yeah,are there any websites where we can meet the thai guys first prior to my arrival??

October 7th, 2008, 18:06
well the truth is,am going with str8 friends

Be REAL careful with your straight friends in straight places. My previous profession often had me sometimes 'entertaining' in the dregs of the world. Unfortunate things happened in straight places that have NEVER come even close to in gay situations. None of these were in Bangkok, but certain scams are known. Watch the Bangkok Post from time to time for news on theses kinds of things.

Wesley
October 7th, 2008, 18:18
cool.

oh yeah,are there any websites where we can meet the thai guys first prior to my arrival??

There are lots of sites, guys for guys Utopia, the guys that use tem can give you the URL's Lots of Pinoy like the Chat rooms on Yahoo messenger. MSN , Hi 5 is full of Thaiguys and you need only to join the gay Clubs to find them or they will likely find you anyway.

Dragoncastle has lots of guys and lots of links to other gay sites. I would begin there.

http://www.einet.net/review/64635-48827 ... ebsite.htm (http://www.einet.net/review/64635-488276/Dragoncastle_s_Gay_Asia_Gay_Thailand_s_Leading_Web site.htm)

http://www.dragoncastle.net/listings.shtml

Wes

Wesley
October 7th, 2008, 19:03
http://www.guys4men.com/ is a leadign place for Pinoy or Fillippino

the locals say to be carefulo who you meet on the sites all are not there for sex if you understand what I mean.

Wes

colmx
October 8th, 2008, 01:25
I think Wes is a little off the mark with his tip of 1000B for a tawan boy...

I'm not into shagging fat straight boys - so i rarely venture into Tawan, but i wouldn't like to be flattened by one of them for offering a 1000B tip! :blackeye: :blackeye:

October 8th, 2008, 01:59
Thats why you always confirm what you want and how much it will cost.

Beachlover
October 8th, 2008, 09:28
cool.

http://www.gayromeo.com
http://www.gaydar.co.uk
http://www.dragoncastle.net/gaydating/
http://www.gay.com

There are lots more...

Yeah... I heard about these 2 guys in their 30s who were meeting farangs online, kidnapping them and forcing ATM codes out of them a year or two ago. It's reported on ThaiVisa and www.gayboythailand.com (http://www.gayboythailand.com)

They were absolutely ruthless and did it again and again. Apparently there were dozens of victims until they were finally caught, tried and jailed for something like 20yrs each.

So yeah... be careful meeting guys online because, there's often no re-course if something goes wrong.

October 8th, 2008, 09:33
There have also been cases of bar boys killing their tricks. And street pick-ups killing their tricks. Not to mention longtime companions, husband,s and wives killing each other.

In the end, online hookups are no more dangerous than any other type.

Wesley
October 8th, 2008, 09:57

I'm not into shagging fat straight boys - so i rarely venture into Tawan, but i wouldn't like to be flattened by one of them for offering a 1000B tip! :blackeye: :blackeye:

Well I was quoting the poll, although it was not about one particular bar, it does give you an idea of what most people do. I like you would not want to be flattend by one either so, I would not bother to go in. As I said it goes from 600 to 1500 depending on your generosity and the deal made with the mamasan. Some people might like to be flattend and there are others that need to be.

Wes

camperboy
October 8th, 2008, 10:46
so in tawan, generally people give how much? :faroah:

October 8th, 2008, 10:57
so in tawan, generally people give how much? :faroah:The Tawan guys have (and always have had) an inflated idea of their worth. 2000 baht is the minimum most of them expected when I last was there with a friend last January. By now it's probably considerably more
Testosterone shots are fairly expensive :idea:

October 8th, 2008, 11:00
I went to Tawan once, I tipped the guy $3000, but he also spent the night and he was amazing and sweet. So much so I didn't go back. The men, as beautiful as are, I would have been broke by the end of the week.

sigh

October 8th, 2008, 11:02
so in tawan, generally people give how much? :faroah:The Tawan guys have (and always have had) an inflated idea of their worth. 2000 baht is the minimum most of them expected when I last was there with a friend last January. By now it's probably considerably more
Testosterone shots are fairly expensive :idea:

October 8th, 2008, 11:06
If you are BKK, a reasonable pay for full night service is 2000 Bhat, Short time 1500

Pattaya can start anything from 600 to 1200, but if quality matters stick to BKK

camperboy
October 8th, 2008, 11:23
wow...2000 or even more now?? tats quite alot considering in baht...

October 8th, 2008, 11:56
wow...2000 or even more now?? tats quite alot considering in baht...Many of the bars in Soi Prostitute would have boys expecting the same - the important word being "expecting". As a quick and dirty rule of thumb, the "tip" runs around 4 to 5 times the off fee. At the moment the "off fee" generally is 500 baht in that Soi. That is the "tourist" price for the "tip". Bangkok regulars (as in all things) pay much less

October 8th, 2008, 16:31
There have also been cases of bar boys killing their tricks. And street pick-ups killing their tricks. Not to mention longtime companions, husband,s and wives killing each other.

In the end, online hookups are no more dangerous than any other type.

The first part of your post is true, but does not lead to the conclusion in the second part, which makes an unsubstantiated assertion about the relative risk of online hookups. Reason suggests that those with criminal intent would favour the more anonymous forms of making contact with their victims (street/internet) rather than by becoming a bar boy or masseur.

Another risk of internet dating, of course, is that the person met turns out to have aged fifteen years since their internet photo was taken.

October 8th, 2008, 16:42
I went to Tawan once, I tipped the guy $3000,

at the risk of getting in trouble for picking out obvious typo's, I hope you meant 3000B not dollars!

Wesley
October 8th, 2008, 17:15

at the risk of getting in trouble for picking out obvious typo's, I hope you meant 3000B not dollars!

Indeed, I didn't catch that, as I would not even think of a 3000 dollar tip, I would be broke at the end of the night and looking for an ATM at that price. surely he was mistaken. If not, I am available for anything he needs done to him for him or under him. I am big engough to flatten him too, if need be.

Wes

Wesley
October 8th, 2008, 17:37
Would be that you only need to take with you what you need for the night. That would be off fee's drinks and taxies and bikes and such as that or, if you plan to go to a dance bar with the guy and buy a Bottle of His choice. So, the most I would take with me even on a big night would be 150 dollars usually I take one hundred which usually gets me home to the safe for anything extra I might decide to do. Fat pockets as they call them here in Manila, are noticed when you go out so try to as well get larger bills mixed with a few smaller ones. The smaller your pocket looks the better. Never carry your wallet in your back pocket if you are in a crowd and even better now days, to carry the тАЬman bagтАЭ than carry a wallet with all your credit cards and ATM cards in it. In short think about your plans and plan for what you need only. I really donтАЩt; like the idea of carrying your passport, if that gets lost; there is really no quick way to replace it with out a lot of trouble. It could ruin your whole vacation. I would get a color copy made of your ID page and visa page and laminate it to carry around.

Just a few tips I have learned after a few mishaps in the world. Also, flashy smart cell phones send dollar signs running up and down in their eyes. If I am out I carry a cheap one for emergencies only. Keep in mind a cell phone here in Manila and there is a status symbol to many other guys. Better to look like cheep charley than the average rich guy with chains and diamond rings and expensive cell phones. If so, you may become a mark before the night is out and remembered for later.

Wesley

October 8th, 2008, 21:11

Camperboy - I agree with Colmx. You are unlikely to get anyone from Tawan at 1000 baht even for short time. Even if they agree to 1000 baht in the bar itself, when they are in your room, they will ask for a top up, and can get aggressive should you demur. You should be budgeting 1500 for short time and 2500 for whole night, even for so-so service. Additional tips should be given if you're really satisfied.

Most boardmembers here are into twink and queeny boys, and tend to use the Pattaya perspective. In both ways, that's quite a different market, that's why the poll gave different price ranges.

I don't know whether you're familiar with the system of "off" fee in Bangkok bars. I can't recall what it is now in Tawan (500 baht?), but budget for it too.

Re short time rooms, the suggestions of Surawong Hotel and BBB Inn are right, and both are within walking distance of Tawan. Budget 500 baht for a few hours' use.

If you're planning to use a short-time hotel, you need to plan ahead for security as others have advised. Short time hotels do not have safes. Have with you only the cash (with a bit of margin) you estimate you will need for the night. Think also about the risk of losing your watch or cellphone/PDA. Like others have said, it's a smaller risk to flout the law and NOT carry your passport with you than to risk it stolen. Last but not least, plan ahead about condoms and lube.

October 8th, 2008, 21:14
You cannot really "book" a Tawan guy for 1,000. The existing system is that you go to Tawan (or call them) and pay them an "off fee" to take a bar-host off the premises. After that, any money which changes hands between you and the guy is a "tip," and, in theory, entirely up to you. But I just want to make sure that you understand that the total cost will be transportation to the bar, a drink or three, and an off fee. So you may expect a bill from the bar of 500-1000 baht before you walk out the door.

How much you tip the boy should really depend on how much you enjoyed yourselves, but there has always been a range of acceptable tips for acceptable performance. Fifteen years ago, the range was 300-500 baht. That is, you could be sure that a guy would be happy with 500 baht. Inflation has thrown that range into the dustbin, except for a few farang who have noted with horror the rising price of everything else. My own thinking on this subject is that the range is now around 1000-1500, except for Bangkok where another 500 should probably be added because of the high cost of living in Bangkok.

A lot of the people here regard this as being foolish and overgenerous; for me it is an attempt to try to make sure that MONEY does not become the main object of discussion during what should be a memorable evening. I also feel that if a mistake is made, and somehow you wind up with a jerk, or someone who does not meet your expectations, you should say something evasive like, "Oh I took my sleeping pill by mistake" and send the guy off with 500 baht.

Another consideration is that you might want to get a friendly greeting if you return another night. This is more of a concern for people who live here, because we almost certainly WILL be going back, not once but many times.

October 8th, 2008, 21:26
Camperboy - I re-read your first post and noticed that this is going to be your first time in Bkk. So I think I should explain the "off" fee, and other in-bar charges.

DRINKS
When you go into a gogo bar, you will be obliged to buy a drink. I reckon Tawan will be charging around 250 baht for that drink. When you've taken a fancy to one boy and he sits with you so that you can talk with him, you will be obliged to buy him a drink too. That's another 250 baht.

TIP FOR CHATTING
If you spend more than a few minutes talking to him and then change your mind, there is the custom of giving him a tip for the time he spent with you (and the opportunity he had foregone getting another customer in that time). The expected tip is 100 baht unless you've been talking to him about 30 minutes or so, in which case, 200 baht may be in order.

(Naturally, if you then signal to another boy to sit with you, you buy another drink for him, and so on.)

MAMASAN SERVICE
This is not quite the custom in Tawan, but in other bars, it will be expected that if you ask the mamasan to help you translate or negotiate the deal, you are expected to tip the mamasan too. Usually 100 baht will suffice, but as I have never needed such assistance in Tawan, I've never done this in there. Moreover, I have seen the Tawan mamasan help customers without getting tipped. My impression why Tawan is different is that the owner has a better pay scale for his staff, and is also stricter with them, so they are much less tip-demanding than waiters and mamasans in Soi Twlight bars.

OFF FEE
When you take a boy "off" the bar, an "off" fee will be added to the bill. This is a payment to the bar, not the boy. It was 400 baht last year; it could be 500 baht this year.

Altogether, don't be surprised that you'd be spending around 1000-1500 baht in the bar itself. This is before your short time room and the "TIP" payment to the boy after the service, which was the subject of my earlier post.

Hope this gives you a more complete picture of costs.

(I see that Henry Cate too thought he should alert you to the vocabulary and various kinds of charges. His post crossed mine.)

camperboy
October 8th, 2008, 22:23
wow wow wow!!

thank you so much!! :geek: :geek:

lots of good infos!...

Yes its my first time, and quite nervous aBT the pricing. It seems that i must be prepared to spend at least 3000B for a guy in tawan... Thats quite a sum for i think..

Anymore cheaper ideas? My friend says, some bars havE guys like the ones in tawan.

October 8th, 2008, 22:25
Sanam Luang.

300 baht.

Enjoy.

camperboy
October 8th, 2008, 22:37
Sanam Luang.

300 baht.

Enjoy.

What is that??

Anyone like kind enough to intro me some hot guys....? hahah

October 9th, 2008, 00:06
wow wow wow!!

thank you so much!! :geek: :geek:

lots of good infos!...

Yes its my first time, and quite nervous aBT the pricing. It seems that i must be prepared to spend at least 3000B for a guy in tawan... Thats quite a sum for i think..

Anymore cheaper ideas? My friend says, some bars havE guys like the ones in tawan.

Well, doing the math in US dollars. 15 years ago, a dollar only bought 24 baht. And so the tip range (for the guy only, excluding the off etc.) was 300-500 baht. Back then, that was around $13 - $21. Then came fifteen years of inflation. Outside of Bangkok, the current range of 1000-1500 baht works out to $28-$43. In my opinion, not so very much, especially for tourists who routinely spend more than that for dinner or their hotel room.

You just might have a lot more fun at New My Way in Chiang Mai. I suspect it's a lot friendlier than Tawan. Especially right now -- not only is there the "global financial meltdown," there is also the distressing political chaos in Bangkok. Tourists, especially from Asia, are staying away in droves.

October 9th, 2008, 00:37
.... in an evening , yiou should know as much as I do.

That long?

October 9th, 2008, 01:08

Yeah you're right. It's was 3000 baht. $3000 would have been a good chunk of my travel budget. Yikes!

October 9th, 2008, 02:43
I hope this link works.

www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/tips-2008-t15796.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/tips-2008-t15796.html)

October 9th, 2008, 04:16
Sanam Luang.300 baht.Enjoy.What is that??Anyone like kind enough to intro me some hot guys....? hahahSanam Luang is the public park outside the Grand Palace - Chao Na can be found there most evenings, so I'm told, and it's worthwhile to hook up with him as the sort of Thai who plies his/her trade there usually can't speak any English. Send him a PM. I do recall going there years ago in the low season (ie. any time outside the period 20 December - 10 January), (when the standard "tip" was around 800 baht) and saw a boy I'd seen on stage the previous night in Soi Twilight, happily selling himself for a couple of hundred baht. He did speak English and we exchanged a few words just to confirm it was the same boy. In those days the brothel owners (sorry - go-go bar proprietors) were more relaxed about boys who didn't turn up for work

October 9th, 2008, 05:50
Sanam Luang.300 baht.Enjoy.What is that??Anyone like kind enough to intro me some hot guys....? hahahSanam Luang is the public park outside the Grand Palace - Chao Na can be found there most evenings, so I'm told, and it's worthwhile to hook up with him as the sort of Thai who plies his/her trade there usually can't speak any English. Send him a PM. I do recall going there years ago in the low season (ie. any time outside the period 20 December - 10 January), (when the standard "tip" was around 800 baht) and saw a boy I'd seen on stage the previous night in Soi Twilight, happily selling himself for a couple of hundred baht. He did speak English and we exchanged a few words just to confirm it was the same boy. In those days the brothel owners (sorry - go-go bar proprietors) were more relaxed about boys who didn't turn up for work

I thought this area was generally unsafe to wander at night. From previous posts on this board (I think) and others, it was advised for non-Thai speaking Farang not to wander about alone in this area after dark. I believe there was mention of soldiers, (yum), hanging out close by sometimes as well. A temptation hard to resist.

I met a guy one night who took me to a restaurant on the river close by, as we were leaving by taxi he pointed out the MB's. I thought about returning but never got around to it. Later I read it's not safe and was still curious but relieved I didn't wander there.

Is it dangerous or is it safe as long as one isn't naive? I like the idea of being in the company of someone who's knows how to exercise street smarts.

Beachlover
October 9th, 2008, 06:34

I thought this area was generally unsafe to wander at night. From previous posts on this board (I think) and others, it was advised for non-Thai speaking Farang not to wander about alone in this area after dark. I believe there was mention of soldiers, (yum), hanging out close by sometimes as well. A temptation hard to resist.

I met a guy one night who took me to a restaurant on the river close by, as we were leaving by taxi he pointed out the MB's. I thought about returning but never got around to it. Later I read it's not safe and was still curious but relieved I didn't wander there.

Is it dangerous or is it safe as long as one isn't naive? I like the idea of being in the company of someone who's knows how to exercise street smarts.

Wondering around there at night isn't safe if you are alone. Bring some friends (no one with a walking stick) for . I went for a wonder around there (night time sightseeing) around the Grand Palace and other military buildings nearby after midnight one night and felt I was going to be mugged by groups of 4-5 guys twice.

It's quite impressive at night though... a quiet, desolate place with soaring white walls and massive monuments in the moonlight. Felt like I was in Moscow or Berlin or something.

I don't know about bringing boys home... but I've heard most of the boys only speak Thai... and I imagine there's a significant portion of boys who aren't safe. If you take one who doesn't have good intentions, I imagine it can be quite risky because if something happens, you have no re-course... unless maybe if you have hotel reception hold their ID for you.

lonelywombat
October 9th, 2008, 07:07
Sanam Luang.300 baht.Enjoy.What is that??Anyone like kind enough to intro me some hot guys....? hahahSanam Luang is the public park outside the Grand Palace -

Wondering around there at night isn't safe if you are alone. Bring some friends (no one with a walking stick) for . I went for a wonder around there (night time sightseeing) around the Grand Palace and other military buildings nearby after midnight one night and felt I was going to be mugged by groups of 4-5 guys twice.

It's quite impressive at night though... a quiet, desolate place with soaring white walls and massive monuments in the moonlight. Felt like I was in Moscow or Berlin or something.

There were 2 threads on Tingtong that gave a detailed description and maps of the area. Well worth a look

http://www.gaytingtong.com/topic2764.html

October 9th, 2008, 09:00
There were 2 threads on Tingtong that gave a detailed description and maps of the area. Well worth a lookAs you're in Thailand yourself, now, lonelywombat, perhaps you could give us a first-hand report?