PDA

View Full Version : Tarntawan Hotel

sydneyboy
October 7th, 2008, 02:43
I recall a poster some months ago reporting that the Tarntawan was building a new wing on to their property. Does anyone have any updates on this?

October 7th, 2008, 07:33
I recall a poster some months ago reporting that the Tarntawan was building a new wing on to their property. Does anyone have any undates on this?

Huh? :scratch:
I don't think there's any room on the property to build unless it's over the old massage place in the courtyard.

When I was last there 2 yrs ago the hospital behind was building a new wing.

Oh, I vaguely remember something about the apartments they own on Soi Tawan. Could this be what you're talking about?

I'd be interested to know what this topic turns up.

October 7th, 2008, 07:33
They have already opened few floors, a building away from the Hotel for longstay. Go to their web-site and you will find the details. I have seen some of them and they wooo

October 11th, 2008, 19:11
The Tarntawan Hotel is, IMHO, now fucked! I have stayed there every year for the last 5 years and BOY....has it gone to the dogs.
Sheets with holes in them, frayed and grey towels that once were white, completely pathetic maintainence in the rooms. Lousy water pressure on the high floors. Outdated and shabby furnishings and management that don't give a fuck!
RIP Mike, you must be turning in your grave to see this once excellent hotel gone to the dogs!

ceejay
October 12th, 2008, 03:36
The Tarntawan Hotel is, IMHO, now fucked! I have stayed there every year for the last 5 years and BOY....has it gone to the dogs.
Sheets with holes in them, frayed and grey towels that once were white, completely pathetic maintainence in the rooms. Lousy water pressure on the high floors. Outdated and shabby furnishings and management that don't give a fuck!
RIP Mike, you must be turning in your grave to see this once excellent hotel gone to the dogs!

I have stayed there only once, almost exactly a year ago, and so I don't have anything to compare that stay with, but the only part of this that I would agree with is that the carpet in my room was a bit tired. I could just have struck lucky of course.

I am staying there for a few days in a month's time. I'll let you all know what I find.

October 12th, 2008, 16:51

I have stayed there only once, almost exactly a year ago, and so I don't have anything to compare that stay with, but the only part of this that I would agree with is that the carpet in my room was a bit tired. I could just have struck lucky of course.

I am staying there for a few days in a month's time. I'll let you all know what I find.

May I suggest you cancel your booking forthwith and rebook with some other nearby establishment, I AM NOT kidding, the Tarntawan Hotel, as it is now, wouldn't get two stars from me, I think there is better and cleaner accomodation around for less money. It's (as they say) up to you.
Such a shame really the staff at the bar Panita, (she is a darling) and all the other front line staff are wonderful and I would hate to see them lose their jobs if this place closed but if it keeps going at the rate it's going it won't be long!
Have a look down the back of your bed when you get there.....notice the light fitting hanging loose in the bathroom ceiling, The director, Lukas offered me an upgrade to a front room (not much different to back room) on my next stay as I was ropeable about the room, I declined! His answer...Thank you for your previous custom....LOL...5 years twice a year sometimes.
They don't give a flying fuck!

October 13th, 2008, 01:22
I have been a long time visitor of the Tarntawan and have grown a bit disappointed in it. Having stayed there quite a bit of time over 15 years, I have seen it change a great deal. Apparently, between the straight and gay customers it maintains a very good occupancy rate, so it can continue on its way without much consideration toward real improvement.

The best low season rate this summer as nearly 2800 baht a day--this was for what they called the Surawong Room--the special rooms facing the courtyard--the only real difference I saw from a friend's room which did not face the courtyard, was that view of the courtyard and a dvd player in the room. It is nice to have to have the breakfasts whenever one wants--but their food is not of that high quality and the coffee there is pretty bad. It is also nice not to have a joiner's fee, but then one must pay the double room rate to avoid that. I have always found the staff very friendly and helpful. There is free wifi in the rooms, but I found it a bit sketchy--a few computers in the lobby area that one may use if they are available. What I am a bit disappointed in is some little things they should do better for what they charge. For example, for what they call their Surawong Deluxe rooms, they should be in-rooms safes available. Also, while they give you these oversize bath towels -- 2--some in a bit of disrepair, they charge if you require an additional bath towel--yes, only 50 baht, but that's silly to do for someone who has paid the prime deluxe rate. Also, I must agree that carpets, bed sheets, and room furniture is becoming a bit shabby. Friends and I staying there also found that getting hot water from the shower was very inconsistent.

However, it still seems that due to their high occupancy rate, they really don't care to improve some of these things.

October 13th, 2008, 21:09
... vastly overpriced for what it is, but it is very central, however, lots of places nearby which are literally half the price.

thrillbill
October 13th, 2008, 21:22
For the price they charge, you could find something nicer, but like many "gay" establishements, they can get by charging more. True, you don't have to worry about a guest fees and be around a bunch of screaming kids.

TrongpaiExpat
October 14th, 2008, 13:20
To book the Pinnacle call Jimmy at 66 081 859 6585 between 1000 and 1700 Thai time. He can fill you in on the joiner situation and just about anything else whether you want to hear it or not.

Vincent's across the street is good as is Om Yim. Both tell me booking are high so book early.

October 16th, 2008, 07:37
Last couple of times I stayed at the Pinnacle (before the BF got an apartment big enough for both of us), The water pressure was awful, and the toilets wouldnt flush half the time. They have gone down hill also. I found the OM YIM much better.

October 17th, 2008, 00:20
I've just booked my 25th (I think) stay at Tarntawan. For position and friendliness of staff, not to mention its gay- welcoming policy, I never consider anywhere else.
I have no doubt that it's possible to pay more for a higher level of luxury and a lot less for similar standards a mile or so from Silom but, for me, Tarntawan is ideal.

October 23rd, 2008, 09:27
Arrived at Tarntawan last night - same as it has been for the past 12 months, when I first stayed here, after very variable responses at other local places. There are lots of hidden extras which the others were starting to charge for. I dont have any complaints, unles you expect 5 star surroundings. It is constantly reliable.

October 23rd, 2008, 17:47
Arrived at Tarntawan last night - same as it has been for the past 12 months, when I first stayed here, after very variable responses at other local places. There are lots of hidden extras which the others were starting to charge for. I dont have any complaints, unles you expect 5 star surroundings. It is constantly reliable.

"Constantly reliable for what ??????"

bing
October 24th, 2008, 13:22
I have not stayed there, but the Rose Hotel is in a slightly better location, and for 1700 you get a perfectly good room with a mamason who lives on the floor and will take care of your room needs in one minute. I wanted extra towels and was handed the towels in about 30 seconds. Also breakfast if part of the deal. I wanted extra toast and jelly plus more coffee and it was added with no problem. The swmming pool would be the clincher and the sauna is small but nice... Really guys the Rose Hotel on Suriwong is place to go. The lady at the tour desk is a wealth of information on where to go on tour, or where to take your Thai friend for the afternoon. Please understand I am not saying anything negative about the Tarntawan just that the Rose is the place to beat.

October 24th, 2008, 13:54
... the Rose is the place to beat.Some of us with long memories recall that the Rose figured in an early nineties television documentary about paedophiles in Thailand, complete with a scene in the lift of some rather large Germans and their rather small companions