PDA

View Full Version : Thailand -Cambodian clash

thrillbill
October 4th, 2008, 09:09
Stupid or what??? Fighting over a heritage site that the Thais didn't even pay attention to a few years ago.
(This is on the gay sight since there may be some good looking gay soldiers involved)

October 4th, 2008, 09:12
Fighting over a heritage sight Is that the same as a heritage site? But as an American yourself who believes in Americans keeping their nose out of what's going on the rest of the world ...

You're not in Thailand as an English teacher by any chance? :bounce:

rincondog
October 4th, 2008, 10:57
This is the same red herring used by many countries to keep the citizens from focusing on the real problems that a country or its citizens really need to confront.

thrillbill
October 4th, 2008, 11:57
You are sadly misinformed. The temple was in Thailand until a dispute arose and the Thai's mishandled their claim in an international court, which subsequently awarded most (but not all) of the temple area to Cambodia. The Thais have always felt that Khao Phra Viharn, as they call it, is part of their heritage. If you actually visit the place, you will see how very illogical the border is, running along the edge of a very steep cliff but coming in away from the edge only at this particular place, then returning to the cliff edge.

Thr border around the temple itself was never properly demarcated, hence the dispute.[/quote]
__________________________________________________ _________-
Thanks for info.

thrillbill
October 4th, 2008, 12:00
Fighting over a heritage sight Is that the same as a heritage site? But as an American yourself who believes in Americans keeping their nose out of what's going on the rest of the world ...

You're not in Thailand as an English teacher by any chance? :bounce:
__________________________________________________ _________
mmmmmm- and who doesn't stereotype and generalize? :geek:

October 4th, 2008, 12:21
-and who doesn't stereotype and generalize? I was asking more out of concern for the benighted youth of Thailand, who already have to suffer one English teacher (Stickman) whose command of the English language, grammar and punctuation leaves something to be desired ... but then he's from New Zealand. In which of the Kingdom's many endeavours do you peddle your ignorance of the English language, grammar and punctuation?

October 4th, 2008, 12:42
Send in the Pattaya katoey regiment - the khmer will surrender within minutes!

sing_lofty_sing
October 4th, 2008, 19:30
Yes Oogleman i agree and maybe the Colonel will lead the Katoey regt. The Cambodians will certainly run then

October 4th, 2008, 20:50
Po Po left Cambodia with so little of itself that it seems a shame to have to fight thailand for a heritage site. Thailand should do the gracious offering and make a way for both of them to share this site. Religion has always been the biggest War Mongrel the world has ever known or will ever know.

October 5th, 2008, 02:01
If you actually visit the place, you will see how very illogical the border is, running along the edge of a very steep cliff but coming in away from the edge only at this particular place, then returning to the cliff edge. The border around the temple itself was never properly demarcated, hence the dispute.

The origin for the border was supposed to be the line of the water shed, which would seem quite reasonable; the original survey, however, was done by the French on behalf of Cambodia in 1907 and in the case of the temple itself they simply lied, and the Thais did not dispute this at the time.

Thailand should do the gracious offering and make a way for both of them to share this site

That is exactly what they had been doing, with no problems, until Cambodia applied to the UN to make it and the surrounding area a World Heritage Site under Cambodian control.

.... and what connection does "religion" have with either "Po Po" (Pol Pot?) or the current Thai/Cambodian border dispute - although in general I agree with your view on the connection between religion and "War Mongrel"s (war mongers?)?

sjaak327
October 5th, 2008, 18:41
Stupid or what??? Fighting over a heritage sight that the Thais didn't even pay attention to a few years ago.
(This is on the gay sight since there may be some good looking gay soldiers involved)

You are sadly misinformed. The temple was in Thailand until a dispute arose and the Thai's mishandled their claim in an international court, which subsequently awarded most (but not all) of the temple area to Cambodia. The Thais have always felt that Khao Phra Viharn, as they call it, is part of their heritage. If you actually visit the place, you will see how very illogical the border is, running along the edge of a very steep cliff but coming in away from the edge only at this particular place, then returning to the cliff edge.

Thr border around the temple itself was never properly demarcated, hence the dispute.

I think there are not many people outside of Thailand, who would consider the temple as being Thai, it is undoubtly a Khmer temple. Now I now there are quite a few Khmer temples inside of Thailand, but this particular temple has been dealt with in an international court of law more then 40 years ago. That the Thais (incorrectly) see this as their heritage is beside the point. Legally they haven't got a leg to stand on.

sjaak327
October 5th, 2008, 18:45
That is exactly what they had been doing, with no problems, until Cambodia applied to the UN to make it and the surrounding area a World Heritage Site under Cambodian control.

I thought it was a deal between the Cambodians and Thailand, but after the PAD began whinging, and Noppodom had to resign, The Thais have shoot themselves in the foot. Som Nam Na.

October 6th, 2008, 04:03
Let's hope this does not get out of hand & The Cambodian temple is left in peace.

Does any of this nonsense affect the other Thai/Cambodia border crossings?
I'm planning to visit Cambodia again on the next Thai trip.

ceejay
October 6th, 2008, 04:40
Does any of this nonsense affect the other Thai/Cambodia border crossings?
I'm planning to visit Cambodia again on the next Thai trip.

So am I Z909 - all booked up to fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh on the 9th November. I've decided not to worry about it - I doubt they will close the borders altogether and, if they do, then I shall just go somewhere else. No point in getting all a-bother about something you have no influence over.

sjaak327
October 6th, 2008, 13:42
Arrived at Phnom Penh and left Cambodia via Poipet/Aran, no problems, business as usual, this is less then 7 days ago.

October 8th, 2008, 01:55
So am I Z909 - all booked up to fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh on the 9th November. I've decided not to worry about it - I doubt they will close the borders altogether and, if they do, then I shall just go somewhere else. No point in getting all a-bother about something you have no influence over.

I have no intention of getting worried. My visit to Cambodia will involve travelling overland. Cambodian hotels are not yet booked & I could always re-plan the holiday to cover Northern Thailand, Laos or somewhere else if there are border restrictions. So it's useful to read reports form other travellers.

sjaak327
October 14th, 2008, 12:37
War threat

By Thanida Tansubhapol and Wassana Nanuam

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered fresh troops to the border with an ultimatum to Thailand: Pull military forces back today or the border will become a "life and death battle zone".

Hun Sen told reporters in Phnom Penh that he had warned Thailand's visiting Foreign Minister Sompong Amornvivat that without a quick pullout, Thai soldiers could face being fired upon by Cambodian troops in "large-scale armed conflict".

"If they cannot withdraw tonight, they must withdraw tomorrow," said Hun Sen.

"We have tried to be patient, but I told the Thai foreign minister today that the area is a life-and-death battle zone."

His comments came after talks with Mr Sompong in Phnom Penh.

Mr Sompong also met with his counterpart Hor Namhong in a bid to resolve the dispute over the area near the ancient Preah Vihear temple.

The Cambodian foreign minister said yesterday's talks failed to end in agreement because his Thai opposite number "could not sign anything".

Hun Sen and Hor Namhong both told reporters that Cambodia could choose to take the border dispute before an international court if it was not resolved soon.

The comments made by the Cambodian prime minister and foreign minister surprised Mr Sompong and Thai officials, who were adamant that the meetings had not been a failure.

Mr Sompong said the tone during the meetings between the two countries had been different as the Cambodian leaders agreed that both sides had to be patient in resolving the border spat.

He said no Thai troop withdrawals would be made from the 4.6 sq km overlapping area between Kantharalak district in Si Sa Ket and Preah Vihear province of Cambodia until the dispute over ownership is cleared through negotiations in the Joint Boundary Commission that was set up to demarcate the land border.

http://bangkokpost.com/topstories/topst ... ?id=131403 (http://bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=131403)

October 15th, 2008, 02:14
War threat...Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered fresh troops to the border with an ultimatum to Thailand: Pull military forces back today or the border will become a "life and death battle zone".

Hun Sen told reporters in Phnom Penh that he had warned Thailand's visiting Foreign Minister Sompong Amornvivat that without a quick pullout, Thai soldiers could face being fired upon by Cambodian troops in "large-scale armed conflict".

An interesting choice for a battle zone: one side has direct and easy access to the dominating high ground, the other has virtually none at all. Sun Tzu would be impressed.