PDA

View Full Version : Stand by for an alcohol-free New Year (bars to close?)

October 4th, 2008, 06:15
Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung yesterday launched his campaign to ban alcohol sales on public holidays. He assigned the Disease Control Department to consider invoking Article 28 of the Alcohol Beverage Control Act of 2008, which prohibits the sale of alcohol on days desฌignated by ministerial regulations. The regulation should be issued in one month and include public holidays such as New Year's Day, Songkran and religious holidays.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/ ... d=30084991 (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/read.php?newsid=30084991)

October 4th, 2008, 06:35
About as enforceable as the alcohol ban that was known as America's Prohibition (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States).

October 4th, 2008, 06:51
That means less booze and more sex in hotel rooms on 31st Night. Isn't it a good thing for sex starvers?

October 4th, 2008, 07:11
No booze, instability of the government and now a shots fired border clash with Cambodia. Those in power seem to want a significant reduction in the tourist trade.

October 4th, 2008, 07:16
No booze, instability of the government and now a shots fired border clash with Cambodia. Those in power seem to want a significant reduction in the tourist trade.They have already achieved it! And perhaps you don't know but there's also a taxi blockade of Suvarnabombsite Airport (second day) to really piss the tourists off. As for the New Year thing, I'm sure Chao Na will be along soon to lecture us all about how pathetic it is that people can't go without a drink and a visit to a bar for just one day!

topjohn5
October 4th, 2008, 08:09
On New Years of all days!
I think maybe Lunchtime should be our representative from the board and seek an audience with His Most High!

bing
October 4th, 2008, 08:44
I think we should dig up Pearl and send her along to speak eloquently on the wonders of a good gin and tonic. Pearl dear you are missed.

rincondog
October 4th, 2008, 10:00
The regulation would also proฌhibit liquor sales from 11am-2pm and 5pm - midnight every day, except by those with the authority's permission.

topjohn5
October 4th, 2008, 10:06
The regulation would also proฌhibit liquor sales from 11am-2pm and 5pm - midnight every day, except by those with the authority's permission.

Are you serious......why would they allow sales between midnight and 11 am daily.....what is the logic in that?

October 4th, 2008, 10:46
.....what is the logic in that?Ah, I see you are not familiar with the Tourism Authority's slogan - Amazing Thailand

rincondog
October 4th, 2008, 10:54
topjohn5

Are you serious......why would they allow sales between midnight and 11 am daily.....what is the logic in that?

Logic has nothing to do with anything, its Thailand.

thrillbill
October 4th, 2008, 12:06
Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung yesterday launched his campaign to ban alcohol sales on public holidays. He assigned the Disease Control Department to consider invoking Article 28 of the Alcohol Beverage Control Act of 2008, which prohibits the sale of alcohol on days desฌignated by ministerial regulations. The regulation should be issued in one month and include public holidays such as New Year's Day, Songkran and religious holidays.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/ ... d=30084991 (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/read.php?newsid=30084991)

Does this mean, Homintern, you're an alcoholic and can't do without your booze for one day? (Thought I'd rationalize/ [rationalise-British spelling] like someone else we know... :drunken: )

October 4th, 2008, 12:18
Does this mean, Homintern, you're an alcoholic and can't do without your booze for one day? My dear boy, I have my alcohol delivered by intravenous drip. Many people assume all that gurgling they hear when with me is a colostomy bag. Nothing of the sort

October 4th, 2008, 12:48
I think khun Chalerm had too much whiskey the night before he thought that one up.

October 4th, 2008, 12:51
I heard that to coincide with the disease pictures that are placed on all cigarette packets, the Government is to demand that brewers put images of fat, stinking, bald, old men on their beer labels with the warning:
тАЬDrink too much and you could wake up next to this.тАЭ
A number of тАШmodelsтАЩ have already been recruited from this message board.

topjohn5
October 4th, 2008, 13:01
Does this mean, Homintern, you're an alcoholic and can't do without your booze for one day? My dear boy, I have my alcohol delivered by intravenous drip. Many people assume all that gurgling they hear when with me is a colostomy bag. Nothing of the sort

I once saw a paramedic giving himself a double-arm saline drip in the morning to try and get over a hangover by rehydrating himself........it's kind of like that really, just a little twist.....

krobbie
October 5th, 2008, 06:05
This type of thinking always seems so wierd to me. As if there aren't any more pressing things that need addressing in Thailand. Instead of forward thinking and how best to foster more tourism, it seems some just want to make things more difficult and piss people off.

Perhaps if they were to pay the civil servants a decent living wage, these same people would be less inclined to require the need for tea money extraction. Just a thought. It is the obvious graft in Thailand that weakens any chance of democracy on its own merit. It's all nepotism and backdoor dealing and scams.

Having said all that I enjoy Thailand with all its faults. The bar thing will not bother me too much it is just that people's choices/rights are being infringed upon pointlessly.

krobbie

October 5th, 2008, 06:45
My dear boy, I have my alcohol delivered by intravenous drip

Homiterm: I don't know about having your booze delivered by a drip - you are a drip!!

October 5th, 2008, 08:07
My dear boy, I have my alcohol delivered by intravenous dripHomiterm: I don't know about having your booze delivered by a drip - you are a drip!!Too many long words for you again, dear boy?

October 5th, 2008, 15:54
Thai government officials are like airline corporation managers who have too much time on their hands that they come up with pointlessly stupid ideas just to piss off the rest as a diversion from the facts that they aren't capable of solving the real problems. Unfortunately airline managers seem to get theirs, Thai officials are constantly trying different ways.

Making alcohol consumption illegal here or there just hardens the attitudes of the problem drinkers.

sjaak327
October 5th, 2008, 18:30
Yesterday evening, no alcohol in the bars I visited (BKK governour elections), decided not to search for other bars, just decided to go home, bought a few bottles of Heineken and Leo at Talad Klong Toey, and me and by boyfriend drank it in our room.

It was my last night in Thailand, as I left for Suvarnabhumi around 1.30 am, already back in the Netherlands as I write this.

I have never (nor will I ever) understood why on election days, alcohol cannot be served, buddist lent, sometime on the king's or queen's birthday, it must be hard on the bar owners, as I for one will avoid a bar where I cannot get alcohol, pretty much the main reason these establishments exists.

It's not a question of not being able to be a day without alcohol, back in Europe I only drink on weekends, but in Thailand I'm on a holiday for crying out loud, and I happen to like going out at night on such holiday, more then once, I had to put up with the no alcohol bullshit.

They are not even this strict in Malaysia.