PDA

View Full Version : What to Bring to Pattaya

bing
October 4th, 2008, 03:42
In the Bitch Slapping thread a tangent got into what to bring.. Cat suggested not bringing too much and Thril also got into the mix. Unfortunately I tend to bring everything but the kitchen sink with me. For the past few years I toss into a few pounds of books for Thai4aLife book store. No need to bring books to read, just stop by the book store and pick up a few for the beach as almost a giveaway price. This year offerings by Wilbur Smith and Ann McCaffrey are in the luggage.

I have read the How To Pack by Wendy Perrin and I surpress all she suggests and bring 3 hats to reflect what I want for different times.
I like one with a strap to keep from blowing off while riding elephants.

I don't bring an umbrella, I prefer a poncho type raincoat. One can hop on a motor bike and let the plastic fly off your back and still keep rain off.
Seems the Thais don't mind getting wet as much as I do.

It is a sensitive area, but I don't mind fessing up to bringing my own Charmin Plus toilet tissue with me. I much prefer toiltries I am used to when I travel.

After a few days I wash shorts and Ts in sink and like to have my soap, All is the suds of the moment, used to be Tide and even Woolite in the past. I sometimes drop off a nice travel shirt at the laundry to be fresh for the trip home.

The Big C shopping center Second Rd has a place where you can get knock off cologne sprays. I have found many Thai friends just love chooseing and even mixing up the aromas in a little spray bottle. Last time I brought some Pasha with me and my friend liked it, but he liked the stuff we made for 250 bahts at the Big C even more. Go figure. I still have the Pasha, but do sort of wish I had some more of the little spay bottle aroma.

Ah yes Lomotil or Imodium always finds it way into my luggage as well. Don't leave home without it. I have seen people cancel a nice side trip, bucause they felt they could not leave the security of the hotel with bathroom facilities.

Bringing home a nice custom fitted Thai silk shirt of even in cotton shirt will be an item that will extend the pleasant memories of your trip.

I like taking pictures, not any type that would put up a red flag at customs. Some don't mess with cameras, but I find I enjoy the proces of taking the pic and organizing them later.

I'm sure others have some ideas on what is the perfect way to pack and what to bring.

October 4th, 2008, 06:09
I give it up alreadyтАж :clown:

bao-bao
October 4th, 2008, 08:06
OK, Bing - I agree... let's try to bring this perfectly good topic back to life.

Salvaged from the train wreck on the other thread:

Imodium seems to have been mentioned several times. I've found the prescription drug Lomotil is also handy, but IтАЩm not sure how readily available it is in Thailand. I take it as a given that IтАЩm going to need Imodium at least once every trip there, and just bring it with me. Like Beachlover said тАЬif you ever need it... it's nice not to have to go looking for it!тАЭ

fattman said тАЬDon't forget adaptors for any electrical appliances. Electricity in Thailand is 220v and plugs vary from two flat pins to three round pinsтАЭ but so far I havenтАЩt found myself staying anywhere more than a night or two with the three round pins and no тАЬWesternтАЭ two-slot plugs. I would suggest looking at the fine print on the unit or adapter itself to make SURE itтАЩs able to accept 220V, though. Many small electrics and other devices do.

kenc said тАЬIn addition to condoms and lube think about picking up a few cheap (disposable) toothbrushes for your тАШdatesтАЩ.тАЭ That's not only a good idea, it's thoughtful.

catawampuscat said тАЬDepending on your weight and general condition, I would suggest buying some self wicking underwear, which is not readily available in Thailand.тАЭ Personally, I wear "wicky" underwear for the plane flight as well. It's a lot more comfortable during the 16 hours of flying. While there they help avoid chafing, wash easily in the sink and dry quickly. A couple of pair is plenty if you don't mind washing them often.

lonelywombat said тАЬMake sure you have farang strength and size condoms ,Thai variety are small even for me and not safe.тАЭ Can't vouch for the safety, but check the labeling on the condom boxes in Thailand. They usually sell both тАЬslimmerтАЭ 49mm and тАЬregularтАЭ 52mm, and it will say on the box. Nothing more frustrating (or uncomfortable) than trying to put on one of those fool slim ones if itтАЩs not your size.

Lonely also suggested bringing an old mobile phone and тАЬat the local 7/11 get a local SIM card and hide your expensive one in the safe. This gives you for 300 baht a local phone number you can exchange with your new love[s]" I hadnтАЩt thought of this and have already bought a cheap phone to use there, but if it works itтАЩs a great idea.

Smiles said:
тАЬ1) Bring twice as many shirts and underwear as you would normally think you'd need.
2) Bring 1/3 the number of socks and long pants as you would normally think you'd need.
3) Bring a small backpack or messenger bag to carry with you at all times during the day and keep two small towels in it ... one which you can keep damp, and one dry.тАЭ

Davy612 said тАЬCipro, in case the imodium does not work. Off insect repellent. Triple anti-biotic cream. The last thing you want is to need them in the middle of the night when everything is closed.тАЭ

I have bought a cheap umbrella there when the weatherтАЩs been regularly rainy and have appreciated having it more than a few times.

ItтАЩs always nice to bring something for friends - both old and new. There have been a couple of threads on this in the past, and one was:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... %20friends (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/what-to-bring-to-thai-friends-t9174.html?highlight=gifts%20bring%20friends)

bing
October 4th, 2008, 08:38
Wow, it must have been a slow day to look up all the tips from the various guys. Good boy, you score high on patience. I looked over the old thread you cited. Yes, 501 levi jeans are still a good idea, and I still like the idea started by Traver Jim, to take your friend to the dentist or for an eye examination. You will give him a gift that he will remember long after you are gone. I met a friend about the year 2001, and took him to a dentist. He still remembers and sometimes suggest a return trip. I don't do will with dead water buffalos or guys who need a new phone or those who like gold. But I delight in doing thoughtful things for my Thai friends. I have one that I can't tell when I am leaving as he will get the most outrageous floral bouquet to say how much he will miss me. A year ago when leaving Thailand I had to pass the flowers on to some vender lady at the new airport who was completely bewildered as to why a farang would give her a great bunch of flowers.

October 4th, 2008, 08:52
I'm sure others have some ideas on what is the perfect way to pack and what to bring.Quite possibly, but the original question was about what he should bring as its equivalent would either be more expensive or less available than in his home country

bao-bao
October 4th, 2008, 09:13
You're correct about the original topic, but after it careened off the tracks (several times) I suggest saving it and just put it back onto the closest set of tracks. :cheers:

To further agree with you there's very little (other than clothes that fit me, dammit) that I can think of that can't be gotten there, and usually for a decent price. I remember even seeing "Kirkland" brand vitamins and supplements at MBK mall that are sold here in the US as a Costco house brand. Weird...

October 4th, 2008, 09:15
To further agree with you there's very little (other than clothes that fit me, dammit) that I can think of that can't be gotten there,And so, taking that to its logical conclusion, do as I do - only travel with hand luggage

Beachlover
October 4th, 2008, 22:37
After a few days I wash shorts and Ts in sink and like to have my soap, All is the suds of the moment, used to be Tide and even Woolite in the past. I sometimes drop off a nice travel shirt at the laundry to be fresh for the trip home.

After a few days??!!

Beachlover
October 4th, 2008, 22:50
OK, Bing - I agree... let's try to bring this perfectly good topic back to life.

Salvaged from the train wreck on the other thread:

Imodium seems to have been mentioned several times. I've found the prescription drug Lomotil is also handy, but IтАЩm not sure how readily available it is in Thailand. I take it as a given that IтАЩm going to need Imodium at least once every trip there, and just bring it with me. Like Beachlover said тАЬif you ever need it... it's nice not to have to go looking for it!тАЭ

Woah! You have to use immodium every trip?!

I always carry immodium but I've never needed to use it while just traveling.

Jetsam
October 5th, 2008, 00:41
bring some lindane also , just in case