PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice. What do I bring with me to Thailand?

topjohn5
October 2nd, 2008, 09:39
As some of you know I am visiting for the first time in December. I have done a search but it was spotty at best and there is nothing in the resource forum.
In your opinions what do I need do bring with me other than some clothes and personal items that I either can't buy in Thailand or is much cheaper or better bringing it with me from the States? Also, what do I need to buy quantities of when I get there for my "guests".....I mean do the guys use a lot of certain personal items like mouthwash, hair gel, etc.
Thanks in advance for your help!

October 2nd, 2008, 09:58
In your opinions what do I need do bring with me other than some clothes and personal items that I either can't buy in Thailand or is much cheaper or better bringing it with me from the states?Things I've found cheaper in the US ... hmmm .... some vitamin tablets, fish oil capsules (why are they so expensive in Boots?). For some reason I have to hunt a bid harder for indigestion tablets, although there's plenty of goo to swallow for that. After that, I'm struggling. I frankly can't imagine providing the Mem'sahibs with hair gel (why would a bald fat old cunt have any of that?) and anyway a friend of mine has a rule of thumb that he says stands him in good stead - the spikier the boy's hair, the more useless he is in bed

Beachlover
October 2nd, 2008, 09:59
Goodness me... have you ever traveled overseas before? Are you going for a few weeks or 6 months?

Just bring what you'd normally bring when travelling! Common sense is a start. Sunscreen is a good idea. Condoms too.

If you're going anywhere remote bring a FA kit, Panadol and Immodium.

And as for toiletries... just buy whatever you normally use at home. If you run out... you can buy whatever you need (mouthwash included) in Thailand. I wouldn't bother comparing prices... I mean, really, with toiletries, we're talking about a few dollars here.

October 2nd, 2008, 10:01
Sunscreen is a good idea. Condoms too. If you're going anywhere remote bring a FA kit, Panadol and Immodium.I've never had a problem acquiring any of those anywhere in Thailand

Beachlover
October 2nd, 2008, 10:06
Sunscreen is a good idea. Condoms too. If you're going anywhere remote bring a FA kit, Panadol and Immodium.I've never had a problem acquiring any of those anywhere in Thailand

I know. I know. But what about common sense?

(Immodium is handy to have handy... because if you ever need it... it's nice not to have to go looking for it!)

t

October 2nd, 2008, 10:12
Don't forget adaptors for any electrical appliances, razor, vibrator etc. Electricity in Thailand is 220v and plugs vary from two flat pins to three round pins.A lot of my electrical stuff - razors in particular - bought in America works perfectly well in Thailand and plugs straight in. The only problem I've ever found has been with the three-pin variety (as Thais for some reason don't believe in earthing too much!) but Thai 3-pin plugs usually accommodate US devices. The only think I found didn't work was a really obscure 9v adaptor that insisted on having nothing stronger than 110v. (I took it to Tawan Bar and it perked its ideas up :bounce: )

October 2nd, 2008, 10:20
Make sure you take out an Insurance Policy that covers Medical, Flight Cancellations, Loss of Baggages, accident(s) and death and repatriation of remains. I always take out one that covers all these including Medivac. Medical bills would make you bankrupt if you are coming from USA. We can not pass another bill, as we finding difficult to get one through

topjohn5
October 2nd, 2008, 11:04
Goodness me... have you ever traveled overseas before? Are you going for a few weeks or 6 months?

Just bring what you'd normally bring when travelling! Common sense is a start. Sunscreen is a good idea. Condoms too.

If you're going anywhere remote bring a FA kit, Panadol and Immodium.

And as for toiletries... just buy whatever you normally use at home. If you run out... you can buy whatever you need (mouthwash included) in Thailand. I wouldn't bother comparing prices... I mean, really, with toiletries, we're talking about a few dollars here.

Thanks Beach....
Yes, I travel a lot out of the country so I am aware of the normal items. It's just that I don't usually go with so much sex on my agenda ;) In addition, there may simply be items that are hard to find in Thailand....

topjohn5
October 2nd, 2008, 11:08
Make sure you take out an Insurance Policy that covers Medical, Flight Cancellations, Loss of Baggages, accident(s) and death and repatriation of remains. I always take out one that covers all these including Medivac. Medical bills would make you bankrupt if you are coming from USA. We can not pass another bill, as we finding difficult to get one through

Yes, Thanks Steve, I always do get one of these within a few days of making my first payment on a trip so I'm covered for pre-existing conditions and max. time for cancellations as well......

October 2nd, 2008, 11:17
Passport and ATM card!

You can get everything else in Thailand if need be.

I like to make sure I have my preferred toiletries (small bottles) only because I might find it hard to get the same in Thailand or the formulations might be different.

I also suggest a nice pair of slacks, a dressy shirt and nice shoes for evenings out. Really impresses the boys.

In addition to condoms and lube think about picking up a few cheap (disposable) toothbrushes for your "dates".

October 2nd, 2008, 11:18
just bring you self, and 2 credit cards, 2 ATM cards, and two pre paid travellers debit cards. You will have a loverly time.

Beachlover
October 2nd, 2008, 11:24
Thanks Beach....
Yes, I travel a lot out of the country so I am aware of the normal items. It's just that I don't usually go with so much sex on my agenda ;) In addition, there may simply be items that are hard to find in Thailand....

Nah, I wouldn't worry about that... most things are easy to find in Thailand. I've never had difficulty finding stuff.

Except maybe decent coffee... although you probably don't have to worry about that with the slurry they serve in the US :D :D :D ... I can live without it though.

Also... Thai boys are very cute and willing... but remember there's lots more to do in Thailand. It's a beautiful country.

topjohn5
October 2nd, 2008, 11:30
Passport and ATM card!

I like to make sure I have my preferred toiletries (small bottles) only because I might find it hard to get the same in Thailand or the formulations might be different.

I also suggest a nice pair of slacks, a dressy shirt and nice shoes for evenings out. Really impresses the boys.

In addition to condoms and lube think about picking up a few cheap (disposable) toothbrushes for your "dates".

Hi kenc,
Thanks! Yes, I even bring a duplicate of my atm card on trips and always a couple of different banks on different systems too! Nothing more embarrassing than a banker who isn't prepared for banking!
Oh, yes the business clothes.....well, that is a little short story. You see I will have to bring to Thailand at least a sport coat, slacks and a tie and dress shoes due to my trip for 3 weeks after Thailand to The Philippines. The guy I am meeting there absolutely insists that I come off the plane in business attire, lol. He has a little fetish about business men and desperately likes removing these items from my body when we are in the hotel after, hahahahaha......Those Filipinos are a randy lot!!!

October 2nd, 2008, 11:33
... but remember there's lots more to do in Thailand. It's a beautiful country.Maybe you could give him some suggestions?

catawampuscat
October 2nd, 2008, 11:35
Depending on your weight and general condition, I would suggest buying some self wicking underwear ,which is not readily available in Thailand.

December is cool and probably not a problem time for developing crotch fungi. 100% cotton
shorts get damp and stay damp and offer a good breeding ground for fungi to grow.
The self-wicking undershorts are made from synthetics or cotton blends and stay dry and are much more comfortable especially if you are active and like to walk, hike, bike or any exertion outside of aircon places.
It is a good idea for any of us and if you find yourself changing your damp undershorts several times a day and using lots of powder, try the self wicking undershorts and you will be a happy camper. :cat:

There are many anti fungal cremes available at any pharmacy by the way..

October 2nd, 2008, 11:38
There are many anti fungal cremes available at any pharmacy by the way..Off into the by-ways of modern medicine - being prone to fungal infections is often, so my doctor tells me, an early sign of Type 2 diabetes onset

topjohn5
October 2nd, 2008, 11:47
Thanks Beach....

Nah, I wouldn't worry about that... most things are easy to find in Thailand. I've never had difficulty finding stuff.

Except maybe decent coffee... although you probably don't have to worry about that with the slurry they serve in the US :D :D :D ... I can live without it though.

Also... Thai boys are very cute and willing... but remember there's lots more to do in Thailand. It's a beautiful country.

Yes, I know it's a very beautiful place but I'm being realistic and I know myself well.......It's my first time to LOS. I am also out of an 8 year relationship and then one immediate and stupid short Colombian relationship, lol! I have had an appropriate time being celibate and dating my right hand. I dislike Americans for dates (my last bf was a Belarussian I met in Prague). So, maybe I will see a lot more of the country my second trip because this trip dear Beach I fully intend on sightseeing mainly creamy Thai bum!

topjohn5
October 2nd, 2008, 11:50
Thanks Beach....

Ohh, Beach....I'm from the Northwest....State of Washington......bad coffee makes me cranky......I will bring some.....and IV lines....

topjohn5
October 2nd, 2008, 11:55
There are many anti fungal cremes available at any pharmacy by the way..Off into the by-ways of modern medicine - being prone to fungal infections is often, so my doctor tells me, an early sign of Type 2 diabetes onset

Ummmmmm, interesting......I am very suseptable and always have been to fungal infections of all types....athletes foot, etc.

TrongpaiExpat
October 2nd, 2008, 12:12

That's not the case now. There are 4 or 5 upscale coffee chains and I see all varieties and types of coffee all over Thailand available. Not long ago in Thailand the only coffee imported was Nescafe and even that was not prepared correctly.

I don't know what "slurry" your referring to in US. They also have every type of coffee that is produced in the world available.

October 2nd, 2008, 12:25
I don't know what "slurry" your referring to in US. They also have every type of coffee that is produced in the world available.As the poster is an Australian perhaps he is referring to the dominance of the Starbucks chain in the US, and the fact that they have failed dismally in his own country, recently announcing that they were shutting down most of their stores, as Australians did not find Starbucks to their taste

topjohn5
October 2nd, 2008, 12:37
Thanks Beach....

Hey Beach.....on second thought I wouldn't mind having a list of other things to do that are an easy distance from Bangkok or Pattaya.....something to do between Thai boys as it were.......or, maybe that didn't come out just right......I know what to do "between a Thai boy"......but, I think you understand what I'm saying.....

dab69
October 2nd, 2008, 12:59
anything you forget to bring will be an adventure to find in TH.
Most toiletries, shampoo razor, etc. is just around the corner at any 7-11 there.
Pharmacies are plentiful also.

Free time- go shopping!!!!!!! But I don't find many bargains as non Thai sized
shirts are more available in malls there (higher priced)

You will surely stock up on souvenir T-shirts, cheaper in BKK than Pattaya.
Silom area in Bkk may be the exception - tourist areas higher priced.

TrongpaiExpat
October 2nd, 2008, 13:08
I don't know what "slurry" your referring to in US. They also have every type of coffee that is produced in the world available.As the poster is an Australian perhaps he is referring to the dominance of the Starbucks chain in the US, and the fact that they have failed dismally in his own country, recently announcing that they were shutting down most of their stores, as Australians did not find Starbucks to their taste

I don't know what blend they use but I also don't care for Starbucks. I don't know why Starbucks don't offer a variety of different types and blends. There was on chain in US that offered beans from all over the world, Barney's but I don't think they are around now? There's still some independent coffee shops hanging in.

lonelywombat
October 2nd, 2008, 13:57
I used to travel with far too much clothing Now I put what I think is the minimum and put half back in the cupboard

My suggestion is you will find clothes you like and will buy, so travel light, very light ,even more so

Make sure you have farang strength and size condoms ,Thai variety are small even for me and not safe

Immodium is not safe I suggest you get your local pharmacist advise on alternatives before you leave.

Do you have an old mobile phone bring it with you and at the local 7/11 get a local sim card and hide your expensive one in the safe. This gives you for 300 baht a local phone number you can exchange with your new love[s]

Use only your expensive mobile from home only when you have voice and SMS messages from home. Check it once a day and keep it turned off

Laundry is so cheap in LOS it is almost laughable Bring 2 changes of clothing to what you wear and get the rest laundered
for half the price of a beer.

Beachlover
October 2nd, 2008, 14:00
Thanks Beach....

Hey Beach.....on second thought I wouldn't mind having a list of other things to do that are an easy distance from Bangkok or Pattaya.....something to do between Thai boys as it were.......or, maybe that didn't come out just right......I know what to do "between a Thai boy"......but, I think you understand what I'm saying.....

I've no idea what you like doing... but I would suggest beaches at Phuket and Hua Hin are much nicer.

As for things to do... Bangkok is a nice city... go out and explore! There's lots of cool bars and clubs (outside the gay/sex/silom area)... go to Lumpini night market... take a geez at the Grand Palace while it's not too crowded... all the usual city stuff.

Pattaya... geez, there really isn't much to do there. Not even the beach is very nice. I mean the amount of garbage you have to avoid stepping on is a bit offputting. Go to Jomtien beach instead. There's an island with hourly ferry service, I hear is nice. This is why I like Phuket better... more stuff to do, lots of islands and caves to explore and paddle around. And the beach is way nicer... lovely to paddle around in.

Chiang Mai is definitely worth a visit if you're into active activities.

Beachlover
October 2nd, 2008, 14:27

I don't know what blend they use but I also don't care for Starbucks. I don't know why Starbucks don't offer a variety of different types and blends. There was on chain in US that offered beans from all over the world, Barney's but I don't think they are around now? There's still some independent coffee shops hanging in.

For some strange reason, the standard of coffee in Australia is quite high... comparable to the European (Italy/Greece) stuff (apparently due to the immigrants we got, who set the standard here). And I'm not talking about "upscale chains" and speciality cafes... I mean ordinary cafes like the one downstairs from my office. There's one every 100 metres in the city here. We get spoiled with natural, richly aromatic, real coffee... so when we end up in the US or in Asia... it takes a bit to get used to the (relatively) bland tasteless stuff served there.

Apparently it's not just the beans...it's the way the coffee is made. Apparently there is some skill to it.

I've heard the stuff they ordinarily serve in the US is really terrible and tasteless. In London the coffee is also pretty bad (remember all this is relative).

It's interesting... in the US and other countries, the big upscale chains (apparently) serve the best coffee. But here in Oz where good coffee is everywhere, the chains have the worst coffee by far.

When starbucks brought coffee into the states, they made it this bland, sweet, sickly taste to tailor it to the American taste pallet. Kind of like fast food. Europeans are horrified when they come across it, but apparently the Americans loved it!

In many countries around the world, where coffee making standards are low, starbucks was a success. But when they entered Australia where great coffee is really well made everywhere... they were a flop. They haven't bothered to adapt... just kept serving the same dreck and coming up with sweeter and sweeter varieties while opening new stores. I think they were incredibly stupid. It was only one thing, that was keeping the customers away and they could've fixed it.

I took a date into a starbucks a few days ago.. it was the only cafe nearby and I really wanted to have coffee with that person. It was the first time I've tasted starbucks in years... and I really shouldn't have been surprised... it was completely tasteless and I was a little embarressed.

Anyway... I don't have much desire for coffee when on holidays... just during long hours in the office.

Beachlover
October 2nd, 2008, 14:31

Not sure what you mean by blends... here most cafes just have one "blend"... and make it well.

October 2nd, 2008, 14:44
Beachlovewrote

"For some strange reason, the standard of coffee in Australia is quite high... comparable to the European (Italy/Greece) stuff "

I agree about the quality of coffee in Oz, so can't imagine why you would compare it to the Greek stuff. No doubt, Starbucks have now made it even to Athens, but before that coffee in Greece either meant Turkish Coffee or a pot of hot water and a sachet of Nescafe - and this was in the George V in Syntagma Square. Still, brings back happy memories of off-duty Greek sailors.

October 2nd, 2008, 14:48
I worry for you Topjohn5. You seem to be focussed on gettting into the relationship. That may be a recipe for getting into the wrong relationship. Relax and go with the flow; take an interest in the rest of the package and you're more likely to be interesting to the right relationship partner.

Beachlover
October 2nd, 2008, 15:35
I worry for you.

Goodness me... that's a rarity on this board. Onya 555!

Yeah you are right. Have a few flings but don't hang up your tackle too soon. There's plenty of fish in the water. Get some experience with Thai boys (Thai people in general) before you plunge into a relationship.

Try and get outside the whole gogo bar scene. It's always so tempting when they're all so naked right in front of you... but much more satisfying to bring home a boy who's really drawn to you (even if it's your wallet).

bing
October 2nd, 2008, 17:51
I agree that cotton can be less than perfect when damp. I have found www.Ex (http://www.Ex) Officio.com boxer shorts are very good at wicking and also will dry in 3 hours if needed for the next morning. I travel with a few pair. Also WWW.magellans.com (http://WWW.magellans.com) offers its own variety of wicking shorts. Not only for the warmth of Thailand, but you will arrive after 24 hours of travel with a good feeling. If you have a moment you might like to look up the two www sites. I like both, but think the Ex Officio is the one to beat.

Beachlover
October 2nd, 2008, 18:16
Not that I want to get involved in this talk of *shudders* fungus and other growths...but yeah, cotton is bad sometimes. It's nice because it feels natural and comfortable and breathes in humid climates but it has some really bad properties.

If you get it wet, it actually retains moisture and is very hard to get dry. If your cotton clothes get soaked while you're in the jungle you basically have no hope of getting them dry. Cotton feels very uncomfortable when wet. It gets heavy and worst of all, if you are in cold climate, wet cotton actually draws heat from your body... so you're actually better off not wearing it.

Wool and good synthetics can dry quickly and still keep you warm when wet...

TrongpaiExpat
October 2nd, 2008, 22:24

Not sure what you mean by blends... here most cafes just have one "blend"... and make it well.

There's lots of varieties depending on the region. You can drink a single type or a blend. I don't care for Colombian but it's popular in the US. Jamaican Blue Mountain is good but expensive, so is Kona. I also like Kenyan AAA. Australia I see does not produce coffee, might be from Java or some mix (blend) that commonly served or packaged in brand names.

Coffee Varieties (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_varieties)

October 3rd, 2008, 01:45
Hey Beach.....on second thought I wouldn't mind having a list of other things to do that are an easy distance from Bangkok or Pattaya.....something to do between Thai boys as it were.......

Pattaya... geez, there really isn't much to do there.

topjohn5,

I think you are asking the wrong person. To save going over the same ground yet again you could try a search here or elsewhere, highlighting your particular interests. Here, for example, you may find the thread started by Beachlover himself on 19 July last entitled About Pattaya, Sunee Plaza and Boyztown now... where he asked: " Hello, Just wondering about Pattaya... I've never been... is it worth going to?"

If you can be more specific about your interests (sports, trekking, meditation, temples, etc) you may get more help. Sports available near Pattaya, for example, include anything from Bowling to Bungee Jumping, Golf to Go-Karts and Parasailing to Polo.

October 3rd, 2008, 01:48
but Starbucks are doing their best to shift it with quite idiotic rituals which I believe they developed in Seattle where it is necessary to jump up and down whilst making coffee to keep the fog out.

The Swedes are, IMHO, amongst the world's most knowledgeable coffee connoisseurs. I buy mine "mellanrost" from IKEA and find it unfairly priced; in my favour.

October 3rd, 2008, 06:12
The Swedes are, IMHO, amongst the world's most knowledgeable coffee connoisseurs.

After the Italians.

Smiles
October 3rd, 2008, 10:16
Bring twice as many shirts and underwear as you would normally think you'd need. [/*:m:3qtpaxyx]
Bring 1/3 the number of socks and long pants as you would normally think you'd need. [/*:m:3qtpaxyx]
Bring a small backpack or messenger bag to carry with you at all times during the day and keep two small towels in it ... one which you can keep damp, and one dry. [/*:m:3qtpaxyx]
Lots of Tic Tacs (or similar favourite), coz 'one never knows'.[/*:m:3qtpaxyx]
One obviously can't bring one's shower with them ... but shower at least 3 times a day.[/*:m:3qtpaxyx]
Immodium[/*:m:3qtpaxyx]

Cheers ...

topjohn5
October 3rd, 2008, 10:25
I worry for you.

Goodness me... that's a rarity on this board. Onya 555!

Yeah you are right. Have a few flings but don't hang up your tackle too soon. There's plenty of fish in the water. Get some experience with Thai boys (Thai people in general) before you plunge into a relationship.

Try and get outside the whole gogo bar scene. It's always so tempting when they're all so naked right in front of you... but much more satisfying to bring home a boy who's really drawn to you (even if it's your wallet).

555 and Beach.
First, Thank you honestly for your concern. I truly appreciate it! I however don't see where you got this idea in my post......I thought I was actually sounding like a real butterfly. This is so funny....I'm trying to defend my honor as a slut! Only on Sawatdee.......
My first original post stated the following: "I need to buy quantities of (what) when I get there for my "guests".....I mean do the guys use a lot of certain personal items like mouthwash, hair gel, etc.
To beach, I said; "Yes, I travel a lot out of the country so I am aware of the normal items. It's just that I don't usually go with so much sex on my agenda"
Then to Beach I said; "...this trip dear Beach I fully intend on sightseeing mainly creamy Thai bum!"
Then to Kenc I discribe my travels after thailand to The Philippines and said; "The guy I am meeting there absolutely insists that I come off the plane in business attire, lol. He has a little fetish about business men and desperately likes removing these items from my body when we....."
So, honestly don't I sound more like a guy looking for sex than a relationship?
Damn, you caught me....... am I so obvious and transparent that you can see right through me and see that I really want an eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww yuck, relationship!!! Gasp!!! I'm such a scoundrel...........and I am so ashamed! ;)

topjohn5
October 3rd, 2008, 11:03
only a bitch slapping contest starts now......then I'd say it was nearly perfect.......

It starts with what should I pack on my trip to Thailand....
at the same time there is a discussion about coffee in Australia and the USA.....
and at the same time a seperate discussion on fungal infections in your underwear....
and, I forgot, an entire discussion of what things I need to see in Thailand because I am too focused on the Thai boys, lol.......
followed by true concern that I may not be slutty enough while in thailand.......

I, like Smiles, love this board a little too much for things like this :)

Beachlover
October 3rd, 2008, 11:05
Bring twice as many shirts and underwear as you would normally think you'd need. [/*:m:2h3hgck0]
Bring 1/3 the number of socks and long pants as you would normally think you'd need. [/*:m:2h3hgck0]
Bring a small backpack or messenger bag to carry with you at all times during the day and keep two small towels in it ... one which you can keep damp, and one dry. [/*:m:2h3hgck0]
Lots of Tic Tacs (or similar favourite), coz 'one never knows'.[/*:m:2h3hgck0]
One obviously can't bring one's shower with them ... but shower at least 3 times a day.[/*:m:2h3hgck0]
Immodium[/*:m:2h3hgck0]

Cheers ...

Smiles... just what is your reasoning behind these random suggestions??? :blackeye:

Smiles
October 3rd, 2008, 11:14
" ... Smiles... just what is your reasoning behind these random suggestions??? :blackeye:
:blackeye: Well when I wrote them down I assumed they would be in answer to the question posed by TopJohn in his original thread: i.e. something like "what essentials would you bring to Thailand". But of course, now none of that makes any sense as he's gone and changed his bloody Subject line again ... thus making nonsense of any reply, not just mine.

Cheers ...

Beachlover
October 3rd, 2008, 11:15
but Starbucks are doing their best to shift it with quite idiotic rituals which I believe they developed in Seattle where it is necessary to jump up and down whilst making coffee to keep the fog out.

The Swedes are, IMHO, amongst the world's most knowledgeable coffee connoisseurs. I buy mine "mellanrost" from IKEA and find it unfairly priced; in my favour.

That doesn't surprise me. They seem to do a lot of jumping up and down and will do ANYTHING other than actually serve decent coffee.

The only "big upscale chain" I know which actually gets it right is Gloria Jeans. Their coffee actually tastes good.

The one thing I do like about Starbucks is when trvelling in Asia a lot of them have free wireless internet... and that combined with comfortable chairs sometimes makes it worthwhile to go in and buy a bottle of water so you can churn out some work.

topjohn5
October 3rd, 2008, 11:24
" ... Smiles... just what is your reasoning behind these random suggestions??? :blackeye:
:blackeye: Well when I wrote them down I assumed they would be in answer to the question posed by TopJohn in his original thread: i.e. something like "what essentials would you bring to Thailand". But of course, now none of that makes any sense as he's gone and changed his bloody Subject line again ... thus making nonsense of any reply, not just mine.

Cheers ...

the subject line effects what people post......

October 3rd, 2008, 11:40
The only "big upscale chain" I know which actually gets it right is Gloria Jeans. Their coffee actually tastes good.

the problem with Gloria Jeans, at least in Australia, is their link to right-wing, fundamentalist, anti-gay christian cult Hillsong Church.

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 3rd, 2008, 13:56
you can be sure whatever you do bring..it will be too much. Pack only what fits into an a bag you can carry on the plane..nothing else is needed.

Is Gloria Jeans a real person..is she a Neocon ?

NB:one of our esteemed members was called a "bald fat old cunt" when strolling through Melbourne one day ( we don't know of the circumstances leading up to that exchange) but what a funny lot they are in that weird country... this is a typical Australian male. He wouldn't look odd there or out of place..possibly your accountant, bank manager or such..and no-one turns a blind eye to them:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee135/lunchtimeobooze/85719295848dda54162d7b.jpg

Beachlover
October 3rd, 2008, 14:08

the problem with Gloria Jeans, at least in Australia, is their link to right-wing, fundamentalist, anti-gay christian cult Hillsong Church.

Yeah, I forgot to mention this. This is why (despite having decent tasting coffee) I don't buy from Gloria Jeans.

Hillsong Church is scary as hell. They are not just anti-gay... there's a lot of other things, which are extremely bad about them. But their message, their communications and funding base is shockingly powerful.

But I shouldn't complain. There are far scarier churches and organisations in the states.

Ironically the head of the church fired his own Dad (who founded one of the churches now moulded into Hillsong) after he confessed to molesting kids some decades ago. Unbelievable.

Wesley
October 3rd, 2008, 15:05
Passport and ATM card!

Hi kenc,
Thanks! Yes, I even bring a duplicate of my atm card on trips and always a couple of different banks on different systems too! Nothing more embarrassing than a banker who isn't prepared for banking!
Oh, yes the business clothes.....well, that is a little short story. You see I will have to bring to Thailand at least a sport coat, slacks and a tie and dress shoes due to my trip for 3 weeks after Thailand to The Philippines. The guy I am meeting there absolutely insists that I come off the plane in business attire, lol. He has a little fetish about business men and desperately likes removing these items from my body when we are in the hotel after, hahahahaha......Those Filipinos are a randy lot!!!

I am in Manila now, its hot as hell, I have yet to see a suit since I left Hong Kong, if the suit is for sex then fine, other wise buy the formal style Philippino shirt and forget the suit. believe me you will die in it .

Wes

October 3rd, 2008, 15:43
[ if the suit is for sex then fineDo you often have sex while wearing a suit, Wesley? Is this in public toilets during your lunch time?

PeterUK
October 3rd, 2008, 16:00
Do you often have sex while wearing a suit, Wesley?

Perhaps he means birthday suit.

thrillbill
October 3rd, 2008, 17:32
TopJohn...relax, relax... I would just bring the basic toiletries and any prescription medicines you need. For clothes, it is mostly casual and be sure the shirts are cotten not nylon...Don't carry a lot of "stuff" with you; for part of the fun is shopping at the many sales that you will find at the malls. Food, toiletries can be found at many of the grocery stores that carry international brands. As you should be aware of, traveler cheques are a pain in the arse, bring some dollars to cash in and be sure you have your ATM and credit card with you. Be sure to tell your bank that you will be traveling to Thailand or once you use your cards a couple times, there may be a lock put on it (they are thinking it was stolen). Have the phone number of your ATM and credit card bank written down somewhere-just in case. There are plenty of cheap internet cafes to send emails out.

As you know, the traveler flying out of the States is now allowed less luggage weight, so why pack it up full when you'll need to bring back some Thai handicrafts (or a new Thai BF) in the suitcase.

The main thing you need to "worry about" (since you seem to be a worrier) is to be "street wise" about the young men you encounter... and if you have any of them in your room, be sure to have everything locked up, including your watch and prescription glasses in the bathroom. If the visitor doesn't want to show his ID card at the desk, don't have him up to your hotel room. There are plenty of do's and don'ts about the "one night only" lovers on various forums here.

October 3rd, 2008, 17:55
NB:one of our esteemed members was called a "bald fat old cunt" when strolling through Melbourne one day ( we don't know of the circumstances leading up to that exchange)A (female) street hooker I had turned down - "I wouldn't want you anyway, you bald fat old cunt"

October 3rd, 2008, 18:52
at the same time there is a discussion about coffee in Australia and the USA.....
and at the same time a seperate discussion on fungal infections in your underwear...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were in fact the same discussion. Australian manufactured foodstuffs are best avoided in my experience and I'd be leery of anything they claimed to be coffee.

Of course London's top Thai Restaurant and the only Thai Restaurant in Europe with a Michelin star is directed by an Australian chef, David Thomson, but that's high art or at least craft, not manufacture.

October 3rd, 2008, 22:57
It may surprise some people to learn that Australia has some of the best food in the world. My friend Ralph (a foodie) was astounded when visiting Oz with his former Thai boyf -- I was, too, when I worked in Australia. I guess I was thinking that Australia would be like England, long rumored to have the worst food in the world (aside from breakfast and high tea), but I was WRONG. Not only can you get great Thai food in Australia, they are constantly inventing new stuff -- like creme brulee with mango chunks inside.

So I would expect the coffee in Australia to be pretty good. Indonesia is not that far away, and Indonesian coffees are some of the best on the planet.

Bring shower stuff for the boys? In general -- no, universally -- if you're in a hotel they will use whatever is available. So don't worry about that.

Starbucks. A lot depends on what you think of espresso. Some espresso is wonderful, but some other espresso is NOT. The reason is that (like instant coffees), SOME espresso vendors put quite a lot of robusta beans into the mix. Good coffee is pure arabica.

As for the US, it has been through a Coffee Revolution. My parents hardly had an idea of what good coffee tasted like -- their solution was to buy some pre-ground Hills Bros and put it in the (shudder) percolator. A century and a half ago, a recipe for coffee told the maker to put grounds in boiling water and then boil them for 30 minutes (shudder).

So -- returning to the subject of Thailand with a great lurch -- there isn't very much good coffee in Thailand. One big reason is Thai protectionism, with an import duty of 90% on green coffee beans. Still, the espresso at Black Mountain is drinkable.

I order all my coffee and tea from Peet's -- the American organization which puts Starbucks in the shade. They have an Internet shop and it works extremely well -- typically about five days from order to delivery in Chiang Mai.

As for other replies to the original poster: I would just concentrate your mind that you are dressing for hot, tropical weather. When you get off the plane in Bangkok, in the middle of the "cool season," you will likely be stunned by the temperature. Then again, if you travel north and go hill-climbing, you will need to have warm clothes. But, for Bangkok and Pattaya, think HOT HOT HOT! :-)

October 3rd, 2008, 23:00
I think Wes's birthday suit could probably use a good ironing.

Davey612
October 3rd, 2008, 23:11
These are available in Thailand but not right away when you need them:

Cipro, in case the imodium does not work.
Off insect repellent.
triple anti-biotic cream.

The last thing you want is to need them in the middle of the night when everything is close.

Ah, yes, condoms, but that is a given.

October 4th, 2008, 00:18
Henry Cate wrote:
"like England, long rumored to have the worst food in the world (aside from breakfast and high tea)"

Unless one is speaking about nutrition, there is no worst (or best) cuisine in the world. There's stuff you like, and stuff you don't. Nutritionally, America probably has the world's worst cuisine - which explains why it has a far higher malnutrition rate than even Africa. Thai cuisine, particularly the less fancy stuff, is among the world's best cuisines (from a nutritional point of view).

These days, good food (by anyone's definition) is available in most developed countries (even England). The thing about Australian cities is that good restaurant food is available at a cost most people can afford, so more get to enjoy it. In London, good restaurant food (even good English food) costs a fortune. A class problem, probably. Rich people here eat in restaurants, poor people in cafes and the famous chippy.

October 4th, 2008, 00:42
I used to travel with far too much clothing Now I put what I think is the minimum and put half back in the cupboard

My suggestion is you will find clothes you like and will buy, so travel light, very light ,even more so

Unless you have a larger frame like me, then it's difficult but not impossible to find something that fits, that is if you're not too fussy.

It's possible to find shoes at size 12 and rarely at 13, but they're usually styles that haven't sold well and for a reason.

October 4th, 2008, 01:21
Henry Cate wrote:
"like England, long rumored to have the worst food in the world (aside from breakfast and high tea)"

Unless one is speaking about nutrition, there is no worst (or best) cuisine in the world. There's stuff you like, and stuff you don't. Nutritionally, America probably has the world's worst cuisine - which explains why it has a far higher malnutrition rate than even Africa. Thai cuisine, particularly the less fancy stuff, is among the world's best cuisines (from a nutritional point of view).

These days, good food (by anyone's definition) is available in most developed countries (even England). The thing about Australian cities is that good restaurant food is available at a cost most people can afford, so more get to enjoy it. In London, good restaurant food (even good English food) costs a fortune. A class problem, probably. Rich people here eat in restaurants, poor people in cafes and the famous chippy.

Well, nonsense. There is French cuisine. There is Chinese cuisine. And there is the British boiled-beef-with-mashies.

Of course, it does all come down to what you like. But I think that, if you wake up and smell the coffee, you will find that restaurants offering British cuisine have not precisely taken the world by storm.

Then you switch to nutrition, and blindly assert that American cuisine is, speaking nutritionally, the worst in the world. And then you go on to make yourself ridiculous, and assert that the US has a "far higher malnutrition rate than even Africa."

Of course, what may piss you off more than anything is that AMERICAN restaurants, from the INFAMOUS MacDonald's and KFC, all the way up to (up to?) pizza restaurants and the Sizzler, have in FACT been successful around the globe.

Not to mention Mike's Burgers, which I think is an English operation.

I once lived in North Africa, that haven of good nutrition. I lived in Tunisia, with three Tunisian room-mates. (This would be 1968 or so.) Breakfast was basically nothing. Lunch was a large loaf of freshly-baked French bread with a very small bowl of something to dip the bread in. Dinner was left-over lunch. I was also working hard, and lost a lot of weight. The next time I saw the Peace Corps doctor, I asked him about this. He said that the diet looked basically OK, but had insufficient calories: life could be maintained on such a diet, but would not be robust and recover quickly.

Oh, well, whatever pleases you. England is not only the home of modern democracy, it is the world's leading citadel of cuisine. "Let's have it all"

October 4th, 2008, 01:30
World's best restaurants 2008 winners list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restaurant_(magazine)_Top_50

El Bulli, Roses, Catalonia, Spain (Best in Europe)
The Fat Duck, Bray-on-Thames, UK
Pierre Gagnaire, Paris, France
Mugaritz, San Sebasti├бn, Spain (Chef's Choice)
The French Laundry, California, USA (Best in the Americas)
per se, New York, USA
Bras, Laguiole, France
Arzak, San Sebasti├бn, Spain
Tetsuya's, Sydney, Australia (Best in Australasia)
Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark
L'Astrance, Paris, France
Gambero Rosso, San Vincenzo, Italy
Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, London, UK
L'Atelier de Jo├лl Robuchon, Paris, France
Restaurant Le Louis XV, Monaco
St John, London, UK (Highest Climber)
Jean-Georges, New York, USA
Alain Ducasse au Plaza Ath├йn├йe, Paris, France
Hakkasan, London, UK
Le Bernardin, New York, USA
*Alinea, Chicago, USA
Le Gavroche, London, UK
Dal Pescatore, Canneto sull'Oglio (Mantova), Italy
Le Cinq, Paris, France
Troisgros, Roanne, France
El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
+L'Hotel de Ville - Philippe Rochat, Crissier, Switzerland
Hof van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belgium
Martin Berasategui, San Sebasti├бn, Spain
Nobu London, London, UK
Can Fabes, Sant Celoni, Catalonia, Spain
Enoteca Pinchiorri, Florence, Italy
+Le Meurice, Paris, France
*Vendome, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
+Die Schwarzwaldstube, Baiersbronn im Schwarzwald, Germany
Le Calandre, Padua, Italy
Chez Panisse, Berkeley, California, USA
Charlie Trotter's, Chicago, USA
Chez Dominique, Helsinki, Finland
DOM, S├гo Paulo, Brazil (Best in Latin America)
Daniel, New York, USA
Oud Sluis, Sluis, Netherlands
Ristorante Cracco, Milan, Italy
+Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo, Biscay, Spain
Les Ambassadeurs, Paris, France
L'Arp├иge, Paris, France
+Tantris, Munich, Germany
Oaxen Sk├дrg├еrdskrog, Oaxen, Sweden
Rockpool, Sydney, Australia
Le Quartier Fran├зais, Franschhoek, South Africa (Best in Mid East & Africa)
Note: * New Entry + Re-entry

Readers' Choice: L'enclume, UK

Breakthrough Restaurant: Le Chateaubriand, France

Lifetime Achievement Award: Gualtiero Marchesi

Best in Asia: Bukhara

October 4th, 2008, 01:37
England is not only the home of modern democracy

I stand to be corrected as I am not an expert on the UK system of goverment, but isnt the head of state an unelected hereditary monarch, and one of the houses of parliament an unelected mix of life and hereditary peers? hardly seems an ideal democracy

October 4th, 2008, 04:48
[quote="Henry Cate":1k9lrbcq] England is not only the home of modern democracy

I stand to be corrected as I am not an expert on the UK system of goverment, but isnt the head of state an unelected hereditary monarch, and one of the houses of parliament an unelected mix of life and hereditary peers? hardly seems an ideal democracy[/quote:1k9lrbcq]

Isn't Australia's head of state an unelected hereditary monarch as well?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

October 4th, 2008, 05:11
yep, but hopefully not for too much longer. I never suggested that Australia was a model democracy either.

former PM Paul Keating did refer to the upper house of the Australian parliament as 'unrepresentative swill'.

October 4th, 2008, 05:26
Henry Cate wrote:
Then you switch to nutrition, and blindly assert that American cuisine is, speaking nutritionally, the worst in the world. And then you go on to make yourself ridiculous, and assert that the US has a "far higher malnutrition rate than even Africa."

Of course, what may piss you off more than anything is that AMERICAN restaurants, from the INFAMOUS MacDonald's and KFC, all the way up to (up to?) pizza restaurants and the Sizzler, have in FACT been successful around the globe.

I once lived in North Africa, that haven of good nutrition. I lived in Tunisia, with three Tunisian room-mates. (This would be 1968 or so.) Breakfast was basically nothing. Lunch was a large loaf of freshly-baked French bread with a very small bowl of something to dip the bread in. Dinner was left-over lunch. I was also working hard, and lost a lot of weight. The next time I saw the Peace Corps doctor, I asked him about this. He said that the diet looked basically OK, but had insufficient calories: life could be maintained on such a diet, but would not be robust and recover quickly.

Oh, well, whatever pleases you. England is not only the home of modern democracy, it is the world's leading citadel of cuisine. "Let's have it all"

Actually, I didn't even say in my post that I liked English cuisine, let alone thought it the best. Like most english people, I live mostly on curry.

Surprisingly, for someone who claims to be a linguist, you confuse malnutrition (=bad nutrition) with under-nutrition. Certainly, no-one could say the US population were under-nourished. But a huge proportion of the population eat bad diets leading to obesity, high cholesterol levels, diabetes and other diet related problems. The diet you describe eating in Tunisia may be typical of peace corp workers, but not of Africans. In the north they eat mainly durum, sorghum, millet or pulses, with small amounts of high protein foods such as fish, egg, goat cheese or meat. Salads, fruits and other vegetables are used when and where available. This is a very healthy diet.

The prevalence of American restaurants throughout the world can be compared to the prevalence of powdered milk in Africa. It kills large numbers of the local population, but makes lots of money for the multinational companies. This would piss any right thinking person off.

October 4th, 2008, 05:29
former PM Paul Keating did refer to the upper house of the Australian parliament as 'unrepresentative swill'.And they're elected! Whether a head of state is elected or otherwise is irrelevant to whether the country is a democracy - the usual criteria for elections that are "open", "free and fair", "one man, one vote" and so on, with more technical definitions revolving around the segregation of the Executive, Legislature and Judiciary. The military is always under the control of the civilian government. All of the generally-recognised democracies express that in various ways; in some the head of state is a figurehead, as in the European monarchies, the Indian republic, the "white" Commonwealth, Germany and so on, in others the Head of State is also the Head of Government - France and the USA being the most prominent examples. When you look at countries like Malaysia or Singapore, which claim to be democracies, you have only to consider things like the muzzling of the press during election campaigns and the overall subservience of the Judiciary to the Executive to understand that they are not democracies in the full sense of the word. Where Thailand's proud traditions of vote-buying, military coups and royal interference place it in the democratic spectrum I'll leave others to judge

Beachlover
October 4th, 2008, 08:29
NB:one of our esteemed members was called a "bald fat old cunt" when strolling through Melbourne one day ( we don't know of the circumstances leading up to that exchange)A (female) street hooker I had turned down - "I wouldn't want you anyway, you bald fat old cunt"

Goodness me... homintern from Australia?

October 4th, 2008, 08:43
The only bitch that's gonna get slapped Topjohn is you if you don't stop changing the topic titles!

BTW, my attire suggestion was only to mean that one should bring something a little more dressy than a t-shirt, shorts, socks and sandals for a night out.
I wan't suggesting you bring a Tuxedo!

(hmmm....Tuxedo....now that's kinky! A little Fred and Ginger?)

October 4th, 2008, 08:48
Goodness me... homintern from Australia?I've been everywhere, man

bao-bao
October 4th, 2008, 09:06
A tuxedo?

With the preoccupation of so many Thai to keep a light skin tone I'm not sure a black condom is the correct bedroom attire choice :geek:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z56/khunbaobao/Tuxedo.jpg

Reminds me of the post long ago where someone's Thai boyfriend was horrified that they'd gone out and gotten a tan. As I recall, their comment was "I ashamed you now, you black!" LOL

topjohn5
October 4th, 2008, 10:02
The only bitch that's gonna get slapped Topjohn is you if you don't stop changing the topic titles!

BTW, my attire suggestion was only to mean that one should bring something a little more dressy than a t-shirt, shorts, socks and sandals for a night out.
I wan't suggesting you bring a Tuxedo!

Hahahaha! Shall I change it back now to the original subject! Okay, I will......

October 4th, 2008, 10:12
....With the preoccupation of so many Thai to keep a light skin tone I'm not sure a black condom is the correct bedroom attire choice :geek:

hmmm.... I wonder why Buckinaway was so popular then? :geek: :geek:

lonelywombat
October 4th, 2008, 10:16
....With the preoccupation of so many Thai to keep a light skin tone I'm not sure a black condom is the correct bedroom attire choice :geek:

hmmm.... I wonder why Buckinaway was so popular then? :geek: :geek:

Size?????

Wesley
October 4th, 2008, 17:49
[ if the suit is for sex then fineDo you often have sex while wearing a suit, Wesley? Is this in public toilets during your lunch time?

No my dear...! He said his friend in the Philippines , on the second part of his journey wanted to tear the suit off him, suggestign some suit fettish, I was suggesting it is much to warm here for a formal suit of any kind.

As to what is good for Thailand to wear, I still think 501's and a nice polo shirt is good, but maybe I have gotten lax over the years.

I can never remember having sex in a toilet. I guess it could be fun. Tell me how it was and I'll let you know if I would like to try it.

Wes

giggsy
October 4th, 2008, 20:13

I was staggered to see how may of these restaurants are in the UK. I'd bet that none of them features "British" cuisine though.

i cant believe the chippy near me dosn't get a mention, the mushy peas are to die for

Beachlover
October 4th, 2008, 22:15
and at the same time a seperate discussion on fungal infections in your underwear...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were in fact the same discussion. Australian manufactured foodstuffs are best avoided in my experience and I'd be leery of anything they claimed to be coffee.

Of course London's top Thai Restaurant and the only Thai Restaurant in Europe with a Michelin star is directed by an Australian chef, David Thomson, but that's high art or at least craft, not manufacture.

Coffee (significant amounts) beans aren't grown in Australia. Coffee is made in cafes. The beans are important but I think the skills of the barista makes the biggest difference here...

Beachlover
October 4th, 2008, 22:24
It may surprise some people to learn that Australia has some of the best food in the world. My friend Ralph (a foodie) was astounded when visiting Oz with his former Thai boyf -- I was, too, when I worked in Australia. I guess I was thinking that Australia would be like England, long rumored to have the worst food in the world (aside from breakfast and high tea), but I was WRONG. Not only can you get great Thai food in Australia, they are constantly inventing new stuff -- like creme brulee with mango chunks inside.

So I would expect the coffee in Australia to be pretty good. Indonesia is not that far away, and Indonesian coffees are some of the best on the planet.

Bring shower stuff for the boys? In general -- no, universally -- if you're in a hotel they will use whatever is available. So don't worry about that.

Starbucks. A lot depends on what you think of espresso. Some espresso is wonderful, but some other espresso is NOT. The reason is that (like instant coffees), SOME espresso vendors put quite a lot of robusta beans into the mix. Good coffee is pure arabica.

As for the US, it has been through a Coffee Revolution. My parents hardly had an idea of what good coffee tasted like -- their solution was to buy some pre-ground Hills Bros and put it in the (shudder) percolator. A century and a half ago, a recipe for coffee told the maker to put grounds in boiling water and then boil them for 30 minutes (shudder).

So -- returning to the subject of Thailand with a great lurch -- there isn't very much good coffee in Thailand. One big reason is Thai protectionism, with an import duty of 90% on green coffee beans. Still, the espresso at Black Mountain is drinkable.

I order all my coffee and tea from Peet's -- the American organization which puts Starbucks in the shade. They have an Internet shop and it works extremely well -- typically about five days from order to delivery in Chiang Mai.

As for other replies to the original poster: I would just concentrate your mind that you are dressing for hot, tropical weather. When you get off the plane in Bangkok, in the middle of the "cool season," you will likely be stunned by the temperature. Then again, if you travel north and go hill-climbing, you will need to have warm clothes. But, for Bangkok and Pattaya, think HOT HOT HOT! :-)

Totally true... much of it has been put down to the immigrants.

The amazing thing is that you can find amazing food in so much variety... it's not just one or two kinds. Even in your average suburban strip you'll probably find great food from 5-10 countries. Still... there's lots of room for improvement.

Everyone talks about the best fine dining restaurants like Tetsuyas etc.... but I think what matters most is the quality of the ordinary restaurants you find everywhere. Tetsuyas and Rockpool are restaurants you probably only go to a few times a year... it's the normal restaurants you flock into on Friday night after work or go to for a quite dinner with mates on Sunday night that matter most.

Yeh, I hear they're starting to improve coffee in the US... but it takes a long time because there's a skill and taste business owners need to acquire. Not like McDonalds rolling out a new tropical chocolate berry happy delight.

Beachlover
October 4th, 2008, 22:29
Henry Cate wrote:

Actually, I didn't even say in my post that I liked English cuisine, let alone thought it the best. Like most english people, I live mostly on curry.

Surprisingly, for someone who claims to be a linguist, you confuse malnutrition (=bad nutrition) with under-nutrition. Certainly, no-one could say the US population were under-nourished. But a huge proportion of the population eat bad diets leading to obesity, high cholesterol levels, diabetes and other diet related problems. The diet you describe eating in Tunisia may be typical of peace corp workers, but not of Africans. In the north they eat mainly durum, sorghum, millet or pulses, with small amounts of high protein foods such as fish, egg, goat cheese or meat. Salads, fruits and other vegetables are used when and where available. This is a very healthy diet.

The prevalence of American restaurants throughout the world can be compared to the prevalence of powdered milk in Africa. It kills large numbers of the local population, but makes lots of money for the multinational companies. This would piss any right thinking person off.

Americans are good business people with good commercial sense.

A lot of Asian chains are starting to spread internationally now. Mass-chain food outlets will be a lot different in 10 years time.

Beachlover
October 4th, 2008, 22:31
Goodness me... homintern from Australia?I've been everywhere, man

Nice one

Love ya man :drunken:

October 4th, 2008, 22:45

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restaurant_(magazine)_Top_50

El Bulli, Roses, Catalonia, Spain (Best in Europe)
The Fat Duck, Bray-on-Thames, UK
Pierre Gagnaire, Paris, France
Mugaritz, San Sebasti├бn, Spain (Chef's Choice)
The French Laundry, California, USA (Best in the Americas)
per se, New York, USA
Bras, Laguiole, France
Arzak, San Sebasti├бn, Spain
Tetsuya's, Sydney, Australia (Best in Australasia)
Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark
L'Astrance, Paris, France
Gambero Rosso, San Vincenzo, Italy
Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, London, UK
L'Atelier de Jo├лl Robuchon, Paris, France
Restaurant Le Louis XV, Monaco
St John, London, UK (Highest Climber)
Jean-Georges, New York, USA
Alain Ducasse au Plaza Ath├йn├йe, Paris, France
Hakkasan, London, UK
Le Bernardin, New York, USA
*Alinea, Chicago, USA
Le Gavroche, London, UK
Dal Pescatore, Canneto sull'Oglio (Mantova), Italy
Le Cinq, Paris, France
Troisgros, Roanne, France
El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
+L'Hotel de Ville - Philippe Rochat, Crissier, Switzerland
Hof van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belgium
Martin Berasategui, San Sebasti├бn, Spain
Nobu London, London, UK
Can Fabes, Sant Celoni, Catalonia, Spain
Enoteca Pinchiorri, Florence, Italy
+Le Meurice, Paris, France
*Vendome, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
+Die Schwarzwaldstube, Baiersbronn im Schwarzwald, Germany
Le Calandre, Padua, Italy
Chez Panisse, Berkeley, California, USA
Charlie Trotter's, Chicago, USA
Chez Dominique, Helsinki, Finland
DOM, S├гo Paulo, Brazil (Best in Latin America)
Daniel, New York, USA
Oud Sluis, Sluis, Netherlands
Ristorante Cracco, Milan, Italy
+Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo, Biscay, Spain
Les Ambassadeurs, Paris, France
L'Arp├иge, Paris, France
+Tantris, Munich, Germany
Oaxen Sk├дrg├еrdskrog, Oaxen, Sweden
Rockpool, Sydney, Australia
Le Quartier Fran├зais, Franschhoek, South Africa (Best in Mid East & Africa)
Note: * New Entry + Re-entry

Readers' Choice: L'enclume, UK

Breakthrough Restaurant: Le Chateaubriand, France

Lifetime Achievement Award: Gualtiero Marchesi

Best in Asia: Bukhara

I was staggered to see how may of these restaurants are in the UK. I'd bet that none of them features "British" cuisine though.

Then you'd lose that bet, wouldn't you. Or as Gordon Ramsay would say, you'd fuckin' lose that bet.

October 5th, 2008, 02:29
Surprisingly, for someone who claims to be a linguist, you confuse malnutrition (=bad nutrition) with under-nutrition.

I would be the last to come to HC's defence, particularly where it concerns linguistics, but he is clearly not alone:

Malnutrition is a general term for a medical condition caused by an improper or insufficient diet. It most often refers to undernutrition resulting from inadequate consumption, poor absorption, or excessive loss of nutrients, but the term can also encompass overnutrition, resulting from overeating or excessive intake of specific nutrients. An individual will experience malnutrition if the appropriate amount of, or quality of nutrients comprising a healthy diet are not consumed for an extended period of time. An extended period of malnutrition can result in starvation, disease, and infection.

Malnutrition is the lack of sufficient nutrients to maintain healthy bodily functions and is typically associated with extreme poverty in economically developing countries. It is a common cause of reduced intelligence in parts of the world affected by famine. [1] Malnutrition as the result of inappropriate dieting, overeating or the absence of a "balanced diet" is often observed in economically developed countries (eg. as indicated by increasing levels of obesity).

(Wikipedia)

October 5th, 2008, 03:26
Surprisingly, for someone who claims to be a linguist, you confuse malnutrition (=bad nutrition) with under-nutrition.

I would be the last to come to HC's defence, particularly where it concerns linguistics, but he is clearly not alone:

Malnutrition is a general term for a medical condition caused by an improper or insufficient diet. It most often refers to undernutrition resulting from inadequate consumption, poor absorption, or excessive loss of nutrients, but the term can also encompass overnutrition, resulting from overeating or excessive intake of specific nutrients. An individual will experience malnutrition if the appropriate amount of, or quality of nutrients comprising a healthy diet are not consumed for an extended period of time. An extended period of malnutrition can result in starvation, disease, and infection.

Malnutrition is the lack of sufficient nutrients to maintain healthy bodily functions and is typically associated with extreme poverty in economically developing countries. It is a common cause of reduced intelligence in parts of the world affected by famine. [1] Malnutrition as the result of inappropriate dieting, overeating or the absence of a "balanced diet" is often observed in economically developed countries (eg. as indicated by increasing levels of obesity).

(Wikipedia)

I don't quite see how this helps HC's position. The article states that overeating and an imbalanced diet are forms of malnutrition along with undernutrition. Accoding to the Wiki article on obesity in the US, 60% of the population is overweight and 26% is obese - figures which support my claim that more people are malnourished in the US (through excess eating or bad diets) than are in Africa (through under-nourishment).

October 5th, 2008, 05:30
Americans are good business people with good commercial sense.The papers are full of news these days on precisely that point. Well spotted, Beachlover

Beachlover
October 5th, 2008, 08:44
Americans are good business people with good commercial sense.The papers are full of news these days on precisely that point. Well spotted, Beachlover

Haven't they just found a new way to collectively make $800 billion?

October 5th, 2008, 08:53
Haven't they just found a new way to collectively make $800 billion?By taking in their own dirty laundry?

Lunchtime O'Booze
October 5th, 2008, 15:15
I'm pleased to say I've eaten in 6 of those restaurants..and sometimes even paid for myself.

my favourite.."Tetsuya's, Sydney, Australia (Best in Australasia) "..run by Japanese chef Tetsuya Wakadu and the most sublime japanese food ( with a French influence) found on this planet.

There is no menu..just 14 courses with wine chosen for you..but you just put yourself in the hands of this master chef and his wonderful restaurant..like a Japanese oasis in the middle of the bustling city. It's so popular you must book months ahead and David Bowie regualrly makes a side trip to Sydney when in the East just to dine there.

What more recommendation could you want..O'Booze & Bowie !!

October 5th, 2008, 16:49

Nominated for wittiest riposte 2008

ROFLMFAO

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Beachlover
October 5th, 2008, 19:24
Haven't they just found a new way to collectively make $800 billion?By taking in their own dirty laundry?

Well the $800 billion plan didn't work but the $700 billion one did didn't it?

October 5th, 2008, 19:44

i cant believe the chippy near me dosn't get a mention, the mushy peas are to die for

I can support that claim of yours above Giggsy, I know that even though he is a frog, Eric the man was seen hanging out there with you may times after training before he departed Old Trafford and used to love those mushy peas also. ;)

By the way, congrats on your win earlier today, even though you only partook in the game for 65 minutes. I know, it's not easy completing 90 minutes when you get to your age, is it? I used to have the same problem. :angel9:

Cheers Giggsy, http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/cheers.gif

George.

colmx
October 13th, 2008, 04:53
Two tips from me:
Bring half a box of MANsize tissues - the Pattaya Crud will eventualy get you (it gets everybody!) and you will be glad of some strong tissues when your nose succumb's to it

Whats the crud?
Thats another days discussion!
But its a snotty head cold that one gets from visiting too many airconditioned premises in clothes that are wet with perspiration.

Bring your own deodorant with you - personally i use Sure roll on anti-Perspirant, don't find Thai Roll-ons to be all that effective

Besides that i think you can get almost everything else in Pattaya....

giggsy
October 13th, 2008, 05:29
I can support that claim of yours above Giggsy, I know that even though he is a frog, Eric the man was seen hanging out there with you may times after training before he departed Old Trafford and used to love those mushy peas also. ;)

By the way, congrats on your win earlier today, even though you only partook in the game for 65 minutes. I know, it's not easy completing 90 minutes when you get to your age, is it? I used to have the same problem. :angel9:

Cheers Giggsy, http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/cheers.gif

ah alas age catches up with all of us.not long to go to my retirement. its not the same anymore even at the theatre of dreams there is a smoking ban..and if the manager pulls me off at half time i have to go out on the car park for a ciggie

krobbie
October 15th, 2008, 11:29
Whatever you bring, you will only bring half that amount next time. Honestly.

I am one of those just in case types and now I pack all the things I know I need only and then put more back in the wardrobe.

Why not consider bringing a couple of tourist type t shirts in smallest sizes from your part of the world to give as gifts. Some nice young man/men might just love that.

Cheers
krobbie

October 16th, 2008, 08:29
Judging from the length of this topic you're gonna need a steamer trunk to carry everything suggested. :cheers: