PDA

View Full Version : siam niramit

waile
September 29th, 2008, 23:16
could anyone tell me if siam niramit is worth watching and are the tickets fixed at 1500 baht per pax?

krobbie
September 30th, 2008, 01:30
I went to the cultural show Siam Niramit last February. It is probably the best cultural show I have been to. It tells the history of Thailand in dance and theatre. The effects are great and it is spectacular to watch the whole thing unfold. One minute there is a river on the stage the next live elephants walk across past your seat.

I cannot rate it high enough.

I don't remember how much it was but I got a couple of VIP tickets which included a very good buffet dinner and the show. The amount you mention sounds about right though. You do not have to go to the banquet and can buy show only tickets. Show only 1500 bht.

You do not have to go to the banquet and can buy show only tickets.

For more information, email us at : reservation@siamniramit.com
Tel : (662) 649-9222 Fax. (662) 649-9275

http://www.siamniramit.com/show.php

Okay I hope by my rave that you know you shouldn't miss this. The auditorium / theatre is huge therefore don't be late. We took the train from Sala Daeng to Thailand Cultural Centre Station. It is marked on this map along with the BTS Bangkok routing. The thin line is the train.

http://www.bts.co.th/en/map.asp

When you get to the Thailand Cultural Centre station, go up to street level. When you get there as you come out of the station there is a glass bus stop with seating over to your left about 15 metres. Go there and wait for the mini van to pick you up (free) and take you to the show.

Good luck to you.

Cheers
krobbie

markie1
September 30th, 2008, 03:10
I went to the cultural show Siam Niramit last February. It is probably the best cultural show I have been to. It tells the history of Thailand in dance and theatre. The effects are great and it is spectacular to watch the whole thing unfold. One minute there is a river on the stage the next live elephants walk across past your seat.

I cannot rate it high enough.

I don't remember how much it was but I got a couple of VIP tickets which included a very good buffet dinner and the show. The amount you mention sounds about right though. You do not have to go to the banquet and can buy show only tickets. Show only 1500 bht.

You do not have to go to the banquet and can buy show only tickets.

For more information, email us at : reservation@siamniramit.com
Tel : (662) 649-9222 Fax. (662) 649-9275

http://www.siamniramit.com/show.php

Okay I hope by my rave that you know you shouldn't miss this. The auditorium / theatre is huge therefore don't be late. We took the train from Sala Daeng to Thailand Cultural Centre Station. It is marked on this map along with the BTS Bangkok routing. The thin line is the train.

When you get to the Thailand Cultural Centre station, go up to street level. When you get there as you come out of the station there is a glass bus stop with seating over to your left about 15 metres. Go there and wait for the mini van to pick you up (free) and take you to the show.

Great show i went last year ,its worth a look anda night out .have fun

Good luck to you.

Cheers
krobbie

September 30th, 2008, 06:49
I thought it was close to a disaster and as far from being a world class spectacular performance as Sarah Palin is from being a member of Planned Parenthood.

Unfortunately, I assumed that it would be of the calibre of Phuket FantaSea, which is just an amazing production and needs to be seen but, alas, not so.

Had I not seen that show, maybe I would be more forgiving but it really is barely adequate. I would have done some of the male performers though, including any and all male taiko drummers particularly if wearing a fundoshi.

It was almost as sad as Alangkarn, the "big" production in Pattaya which, if still open, probably needs to be put out of its misery.

Siam Niramit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iGHAxuEZJM

Kodo Drummers, an amazing taiko troup who are on tour in North America January - March 2009. Schedule --> http://www.kodo.or.jp/oet/oet2009a_en.html
(the embedded VDO only sometimes works, the link below always works)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPdOmY1BjAU

Fundoshi Beach Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F58x0NjHd14

bao-bao
September 30th, 2008, 08:07
In June of this year a Thai friend (who admittedly can be a little overly-thifty and a bit opinionated) thought the show at Siam Niramit was "a little expensive for what you get", and since IтАЩd already sat on the floor in Chiang Mai a handful of years ago for a cultural evening he didnтАЩt think I should take the time to see this particular show this trip. However, since IтАЩm not too jaded a visitor (yet) to not be entertained by the costumes, dances and тАЬdancing sceneryтАЭ dancers themselves I suppose I will at some point.

Something that was also interesting (albeit far less extravagant than what I've heard Siam Niramit is) was the show at the Nong Nooch gardens. Period dances and costumes, elephants, a badly faked muay thai "exhibition" and some young men who were easy on the eyes. I canтАЩt compare it to shows I havenтАЩt seen, but it was at least entertaining -- and a very welcome break from the heat outside a few months ago.

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/albumpics/2679.jpg

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/albumpics/2677.jpg

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/albumpics/2678.jpg

bing
September 30th, 2008, 11:58
I am gald some one else appreciates a fundoshi, I had a japanese friend who looked just perfect in his. Just one deft pull and it fell right off as i recall.
I will go to the show for sure just to see the fundoshi guys.

Beachlover
September 30th, 2008, 13:04
I saw the fantasea one at phuket and personally found it a bit boring. I mean, there was a lot of effort with the costumes and the dancing and the smoke and everything... but I didn't find it terribly exciting or entertaining.

In fact... I don't tend to find most "cultural shows" very entertaining... it's not that I'm a bad person or anything, I just don't get high on them. There's something artificial about these things where they put on a "show" for you.

Having said that... others seem to like these so I suppose they're worth their while..

TrongpaiExpat
September 30th, 2008, 13:13
If you want to see a really big shew fly to Macau and see the new Cirque Du Soleil, Zaia. Air Asia, 2 1/2 hours from Bangkok. Phuket Fantsea does not even come close.

Zaia (http://www.macau.com/en/shows_and_events/55/zaia-cirque-du-soleil-zaia)

Siam Niramit: I rather watch someone spinning plates on a stick and Topo Gigio, the Italian Mouse.

Anyone wanting more info on Zaia and Macau, I went a few weeks ago, PM me.

waile
September 30th, 2008, 14:37
thanx guys, but i'm still not too sure coz i get mixed reviews. however, one man's meat is another's poison. guess i'll need to watch it for myself. btw, i have done reservations for 2 tickets and cross my fingers:)

Beachlover
September 30th, 2008, 15:08
Cirque Du Soleil would definitely be worth watching... but that's totally different from the Phuket Fantasea or these other Thai shows.

September 30th, 2008, 16:18

Good luck to you.

Cheers
krobbie

just so you dont get mixed up, Thailand Cultural Centre is an MRT (subway) station, not a BTS (skytrain) station. If you are at Silom Rd, you need to go to Silom MRT station not Sala Daeng BTS station.

TrongpaiExpat
September 30th, 2008, 18:41
Cirque Du Soleil would definitely be worth watching... but that's totally different from the Phuket Fantasea or these other Thai shows.

I got the impression that Phuket Fantasea used Cirque Du Soleil as a model but then just did not get it quite right. Same stage set up and they both merge traditional high wire acts with music and theater. What Fantasea lacks is talent. They try to make up for it with live animals pyrotechnics and loud music but it does not work unless you have never seen Cirque Du Soleil and have no point of comparison.

waile
September 30th, 2008, 23:39

Good luck to you.

Cheers
krobbie

just so you dont get mixed up, Thailand Cultural Centre is an MRT (subway) station, not a BTS (skytrain) station. If you are at Silom Rd, you need to go to Silom MRT station not Sala Daeng BTS station.

thanx krobbie and dave:P

bing
October 1st, 2008, 01:35
I notice that a few guys have been disappinted in the show. Many cultural shows try to do everything and often come up a bit short. One can poke holes in the Sound and Light Show in Luxor or the Sound and Light Performance in Athens. Heck, even El Paso, TX gets into the act with a lazer show on the side of big hill. I suggest you to with an attiutde that you will have a good time no matter what happens. It is sort of a manta for travelers. I will see the show next week and perhaps post an observation or two.

bao-bao
October 1st, 2008, 07:16
thanx guys, but i'm still not too sure coz i get mixed reviews. however, one man's meat is another's poison. guess i'll need to watch it for myself. btw, i have done reservations for 2 tickets and cross my fingers:)

Please let us know what you thought of the show after you see it, waile. I'm curious about it myself and may well try to see it with a friend in December.

waile
October 1st, 2008, 08:02

Please let us know what you thought of the show after you see it, waile. I'm curious about it myself and may well try to see it with a friend in December.

sure thing bao bao... i hope its a good one:)

netrix
October 6th, 2008, 08:00
I went earlier this year and really enjoyed the show. The
choreography is good, costumes are great, set and story
line very entertaining.

The most fun was exploring the grounds outside the
cultural center before the event started. Plan to arrive
at least an hour early. You can taste some fresh treats
from different areas of Thailand, and enjoy the beautiful
scenery.

My boy loved it. He was so happy to share the experience
with me, his western friend.

Go! have fun! ride an elephant. eat some goodies. have
a sweet old thai woman chant a blessing while tying a white
thread around your wrist. and just ignore those who say
its not worth the visit. I promise you'll enjoy yourself.

ps: I'm a former musical theater major, have seen half a
dozen Cirque shows, have seen more broadway shows in USA
and London's West End than I can count...and I still enjoyed
Siam Niramit.

Beachlover
October 6th, 2008, 16:32

I got the impression that Phuket Fantasea used Cirque Du Soleil as a model but then just did not get it quite right. Same stage set up and they both merge traditional high wire acts with music and theater. What Fantasea lacks is talent. They try to make up for it with live animals pyrotechnics and loud music but it does not work unless you have never seen Cirque Du Soleil and have no point of comparison.

Yeah... phuket fantasea was nothing like CDS... wasn't really spectacular. It was ok... maybe I was just really tired that night.

The grounds outside were really fake looking... all set up like an amusement park... mainly just shops looking very plastic like.

TrongpaiExpat
October 6th, 2008, 18:58

Yeah... phuket fantasea was nothing like CDS... wasn't really spectacular. It was ok... maybe I was just really tired that night.

The grounds outside were really fake looking... all set up like an amusement park... mainly just shops looking very plastic like.

You get what you pay for. I paid 100 USD per seat for Cirque Du Soleil in Macau last month. That's about what I paid in in USA several years ago. Fantasea is no where near that price and it comes with a dinner.