PDA

View Full Version : New gay.com coming (chat replacements?)

September 29th, 2008, 22:47
I noticed gay.com are off-line a couple days and in the process of changing their website design. While the new stuff all looks ok (not that I ever use it) I noted the loss one feature as a posting in their blog implies:

Like many people, I am not thrilled to hear that third-party chat clients are not going to be usable anymore.

Well I agree with that poster that gay.com's java/browser based chat client SUCKED for me slopping up all sorts of pop-up windows often crashing or freezing my computer and when I use their chat I used a third party client (like ChatClient ... ). Still I've been using it less and less lately as the "service" is swamped with advertising bot robots for online "live sex shows" and similar junk. As a result of the days of persistent internet connections it's also gotten to the point where 100's of chatters remain in the rooms all the time while they are not actively using it, just off watching television or sleeping, I guess. And there are the multitude of obvious fakes, clothing designers maybe?. So one of the more useful things around has become fairly useless for tasks as droll as quickly getting useful travel tips from others around the world.

I suppose we can wait and see whether 3rd party clients will indeed be unusable in the new gay.com, but I ask the question as to what are other useful chat services that you may know about? Global? Euro? Thailand only? English? I know about gaydar and gayromeo but those two don't have the live chat rooms. Please don't even mention AOL. Does anyone still find IRC useful? What IRC networks? Are there any other useful international gay chat networks as useful in design, at least, as gay.com?