PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs advice on hotel stay in silom...

September 28th, 2008, 22:19
hi guys,

i'm a newbie going to bangkok for the very first time this coming nov 08 for about 4-5 nights...i am planning to stay in silom/patpong area...and in need of some advice on which hotel is the best value for money that fits some of my criteria as below:-

i) located within walking distance of silom/patpong area and of course the BTS
ii) has in-room free wi-fi service
iii) has cable with international channels and/or dvd player
iv) has decent room service
v) no joiner's fee
vi) costs around THB 2,000 - 2,500 or less

Appreciate any input/feedback guys....would really be grateful for any help/advice i can get...thnks!

gearguy
September 28th, 2008, 22:25
other than the in-room wifi, IMO, this would be a good choice for you.
right in the heart of the main gay area of BKK.
minutes walk to Silom Rd and Soi Twilight;
literally right around the corner from Tawan Muscle Bar (not
one of my favorites), Solid Bar, etc
For a first time visitor, I think this would be a good choice.

September 28th, 2008, 22:45

thanks gearguy...will definitely give tarntawan a look...but anything else similar to tarntawan but perhaps on a lower budget? tarntawan is on the upper 2500 range, correct?

gearguy
September 28th, 2008, 23:00
http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/qui ... e=3&Area=1 (http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/quickselect/1/?Type=3&Area=1)

never stayed there, but maybe Om Yim Lodge?

next time I'm in BKK, I'm thinking of staying
at baansaladeang,

http://www.baansaladaeng.com/

September 28th, 2008, 23:25
Agree totally with Tarntawan for the first time visitor. You say your only there for four or five nights so the few extra dollars paid to the hotel will be less than taxi fares from other more distant but cheaper hotels. Or time saved walking from more distant hotels can be better spent in the boy bars. The Rose is around the corner and may be cheaper but lacks the gay support in the lobby. My first trip was similarly only a few days and it was greatly enhanced by information gained from other visitors in the hotel lobby, bar, and restaurant. Direcctions to any gay venue much easier to get in the Tarntawan lobby than from the Thai women behind the desk at The Rose or similar hotel. Puple Dragon tour company may still have an office in the lobby of the Tarntawan and the hotel probably still has a free internet room with computers for guests to use.

I seem to remember in-room WiFi or at least internet cable for laptops. But with only four or five days in BKK this is not much of a priority. Much better things to do with your time, and only a few steps from the door.

My later trips were not and probably will not be at the Tarntawan, but always for a first time trip of only a few days it would be my recommendation.

TrongpaiExpat
September 29th, 2008, 00:22
Agree totally with Tarntawan for the first time visitor. You say your only there for four or five nights so the few extra dollars paid to the hotel will be less than taxi fares from other more distant but cheaper hotels.

If taking a 10 min 50 baht taxi ride or using the BTS or MRT is that intimidating for you then you might want to consider a vacation closer to your comfort zone. Not that Tarntawan is bad, your just paying for location. The all day breakfast is a nice option too but it's not like getting food in Bangkok is a problem.

September 29th, 2008, 04:31
http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/quickselect/1/?Type=3&Area=1

never stayed there, but maybe Om Yim Lodge?

next time I'm in BKK, I'm thinking of staying
at baansaladeang,

http://www.baansaladaeng.com/

I stayed there earlier this year. It's kind of a cross between a small hotel and a B&B. The owners Jerry and Nut, are friendly guys; down to earth and welcoming.

It all depends on what a person is looking for so I won't say you'll love it. I enjoyed my stay and would consider returning.

The room I stayed in was a good size and had a DVD player, mini bar/fridge, electronic safe. There's is free WiFi but I found it worked better on the lower floors. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean and simple. I'd say basic, but it was more than basic. The room had a simplistic yet elegant touch to it.

There's no room service but there is a Thai restaurant next door. Silom and the BTS are only a 5 min walk away. They serve a simple breakfast; juice, coffee, fruit and cereal.

I took a couple guys back to my room; no joiners fee. The front door requires a key card, so you have to go down to let your guests in and out. They advise discretion when bringing back visitors and if I remember correctly, the guest is responsible for any damage caused by their visitors.

Even thought it's a small, quiet place, it's not all that private. At least two of the rooms I saw were small, had sliding doors and the beds were very close to the door. I could be mistaken though. When I was there they had only been open a few weeks and were still in the process of completing their renovations.

There aren't many rooms, so not a lot of other guests milling about.

I consider myself to be a fairly private individual and prefer to blend into a crowd with any guys that I might be with; coming and going from this place, it's pretty obvious that I was with someone.

Next year even though it's further away, I might consider the Pinnacle. It's in the same price range and has a rooftop pool. I hear it's cruisey, but not overly seedy.

September 29th, 2008, 04:41
iii) has cable with international channels and/or dvd player

You won't need the TV. See BKK by day, see the gogo bars at night. Leave the TV off.

fedssocr
September 29th, 2008, 05:04
Baan Saladaeng looks interesting. But I am afraid all of that white interior isn't going to age very well. The penthouse rooms like nice though and the location seems quite good.

September 29th, 2008, 05:27
You won't need the TV. See BKK by day, see the gogo bars at night. Leave the TV off.What a life that suggests!

I think a number of posters may be forgetting one of the key elements of what this guy said ie. "It's my first time in Bangkok". After a few visits we all have favourite places, things to see, boys to do and we're pretty comfortable about our own safety (or lack thereof). If it were my first time, apart fom the cost, I'd be concerned about personal safety, ease of getting about, not getting lost etc. etc. So while all of the posts people have made about Om Yim, Pinnacle or Sala Daeng etc. are valid, are they valid for a complete newbie to Bangkok? If I were him I'd be emailing Tarntawan and asking for their best rate, not just one that's on the Internet. I have a friend who was quoted 10% less than their "best Internet" rates for the peak of the high season just for emailing and asking for their "best" rate. And remember that some places will want to ping him another 3% for using a credit card. On the safety issue, sure, you can find places who will let you (and your "friends" that you've never met before) come and go at will. I'd rather know someone is looking out for me if it's my first time

My commission for this promotion of the Tarntawan Hotel is being passed on to The Doris O'Booze Sponsored Lunch Fund. That's where you pay for Doris and me to have lunch and we promise to talk about you

bing
September 29th, 2008, 07:40
I am surprised no one has mentioned The Rose Hotel it is almost as close to PatPong as you can get. They will arrange to have you picked up at the airport and is very friendly to stay. The cost has gone up but still less than Tarntawan a block or or two away. You can look it up on their web site.

Beachlover
September 29th, 2008, 07:53
http://www.ballys-studio.com/silom/view ... ?page_id=1 (http://www.ballys-studio.com/silom/viewpage.php?page_id=1)

This is the place to stay

1. Free internet... it's not wireless. There's a long cable to plug into your laptop so you can use the internet in your room... or you can use the internet in the lobby, also free.

2. Right next to DJ Station (about as close as you can get) on Silom Rd.

3. All rooms have these massive Samsung LCD screens with cable TV with int channels (I don't watch much TV... but it seemed to have all the usual channels) and also DVD player in each room. I've stayed in $400/night places, which didn't have TVs half as good.

4. I never did try the room service, but they did present me with a bowl of fruit on arrival and the cafe is lovely... nice views of Silom and friendly staff.

5. No joiners fee. And reception staff are really really friendly. In fact, the friendliest I've ever met. Some are gay and may flirt with you in a friendly way...

6. Official rate is 3000baht+ a night, but they are still very new and keen to fill their rooms... so if you call up and are nice on the phone, you should get a rate well within your budget. Keep it a secret.

And... the rooms are very nice (brand new fittings... brand new hotel) fairly spacious... it's right next to the skytrain station.

Only thing I didn't like is, not all the rooms have windows and not all window rooms have views. I spent a couple of nights in the room without the window... first time I've stayed in a hotel room without windows and I must say it didn't really bother me much. Especially as I was paying peanuts and the room was so gleaming new and comfortable. The rooms are so nice and I don't spent much time in the room so it was fine.

September 29th, 2008, 08:55
10 years ago when I wanted to visit BKK for the first time, I took the time research and thank God found Trantawan Place. It is safe, very professional, friendly staff, no-joiner fees, closer to the night life(gay), best security for first timers and in short a home-away-from-home. I will strongly recommend to ay first time traveller this place. I am sure, you will always return to Trantawan; it is the best for a gay traveller

September 29th, 2008, 09:56
You may want to visit Utopia's website. Not 100% accurate or true, but at least, you can use it as a general guide. There are also other information there that may interest you.

Google "utopia asia". Sorry, this forum does not allow me to insert URLs.

I'm also going to Bangkok but will be there in Oct.

My first choice for accommodation was Baan Saladaeng. Unfortunately, I can't get the room that I want. I wanted either the White Room or the Black & White Room at 1,000THB per night. Baan Saladaeng would be perfect for my needs.

Google "baansaladaeng".

My second choice would be The Urban Age Guesthouse. Apparently, they're located near Tarntawan. At between 750-1,000THB (300THB for dorms), it seemed like a good deal. Except that there are no private bathrooms and no hot showers. Communal bathrooms I can accept but no hot showers??? Anyway, the booking system was a bit confusing for me.

Google "urban age guesthouse".

My third and final choice was the Take A Nap Hotel. Their rates are between 1,000-2,000THB (350THB for dorms). The rooms include private bathrooms. Not only that, this hotel is near Soi Duangthawee (Twilight). Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there are any joiner fees (I'm hoping there aren't any).

Google "take a nap hotel".

I could only book 4 nights at the Take A Nap Hotel. I would probably stay at a different hotel for the remaining 3 nights unless Take A Nap Hotel has a room that I want. I'm considering Tarntawan Place, Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel & Spa or other hotels that are available or catch my fancy.

Have a good trip :-)

September 29th, 2008, 10:34
wow...impressed at the level of replies I receive...thanks guys...keep the advice & opinion coming in...

right now, tarntawan definitely sounds like the best option for me...although as mentioned, the only downer to it is its THB 2,700 per night rate, which I've checked (via email as suggested by some of you) to be their best rate at the moment...

as for the tv/in-room dvd - i mentioned that this is a requirement for me because even though undoubtedly I'll be there to experience life in bangkok but on some days i also like just relaxing in my room (perhaps with a boy?) cuddling up to a movie/tv show which I can understand & enjoy (thus the international cable!)

i am keen to know more about The Rose? anybody know if this hotel fits the bill?

September 29th, 2008, 15:04
Amother option is Wall Street Inn, which is almost opposite Soi Twighlight (if that's the soi with Dick's cafe in). Good breakfast, cable TV, clean room, large comfy bed - but rather tired decor, and you have to pay a little extra for a room with a window (though it still comes in at under 2,000 baht per night). However, there is a joiners fee, which is listed on a card they give you at reception and ponted out to you by the receptionist when you check in. I would find this objectionable but rarely have guests, and never have there.

The price and location are perfect for me. Have tried one or two other nearby hotels, but they are rather seedy. Anyone know any other fairly decent hotels that close to Dick's cafe?

neddy3
September 29th, 2008, 15:13
The Rose is a good deal, and would suit many PLUs.

It is about 1700 B thesedays. Formerly a somewhat dingy flophouse, it had a MAJOR makeover some years back, and is now quite comfy.
Clean modern but small rooms, TV with some cable channels but not a big range, a safe in the room, 24 hour room service.
I don't know about wifi etc, but doubt very much it is available in the rooms.
"Visitors' can 'visit' without any issues.
A restaurant on the premises (actually 2), a delightful pool area.

Location is very close to Patpong and the gay areas, a very easy walk.
Crossing Suriwongse Road to get to Silom etc during the evening rush hour can be a thrillseeker's delight.

Richsilver
September 29th, 2008, 18:07
For me the Tarntawan has three major drawbacks: no in-room Internet, no in-room safe (a deal breaker for me!) and a long walk to the Skytrain. It may look close on a map, but it is 10 minutes. Try walking that in a heavy downpour! And the Rose is even further from the Skytrain (try crossing Suriwong in heavy traffic).

Beachlover mentioned Bally's Studio. I have never stayed there, but I did look at the rooms and they look just great. It's virtually right at the Skytrain, has Internet in the room and has an in-room safe. It would surely be my first choice.

September 29th, 2008, 18:11
For me the Tarntawan has three major drawbacks: no in-room Internet ...I thought they had Wi-Fi?

markie1
September 29th, 2008, 22:45

thanks gearguy...will definitely give tarntawan a look...but anything else similar to tarntawan but perhaps on a lower budget? tarntawan is on the upper 2500 range, correct?

I stayed there a couple weeks ago for three nights,and stayed there before a few times ,its a good place to stay for a few nights in BKK if you want to be around all the action , althoouth they charge about 3000 a night ,i asked for a late checkout which i could have had free up untill 2.30 in the afternoon,later checkout untill 6.00 pm is 600 baht ,i had a later check out at 9.00pm and was charged a full days rate of 3000 which i thought was a bit much, but paid it ,i could have proberly checked out and took a short time room for about 600, but maybe i will do taht next time if i havea late flight.
But good place to stay ,security is good ,only down side they do not provide a safe box in your room,which at 3000 a night you think they would,but can not really complain about the hotel,its clean and good service.

waile
September 29th, 2008, 23:11
i stayed in baan saladaeng from 11th to 21st Sept '08. It was a great stay for me and I highly recommend it. The 3 proprietors - Jin, Jerry and Nutt were simply amazingly very accommodating. It lacks certain facilities that a hotel can provide but Jin, Jerry and Nutt more than makes up for it. A simple continental breakfast in the morning, enough for an empty stomach in the morning.

The rates are appropriately priced. rooms are very chic, designed by yours truly, Nutt. The locality is very convenient. Near to Silom MRT station and Saladaeng BTS. Close to Soi Twilight, Silom Soi 2 & 4 and Patpong:)

Baan Saladeang comes highly recommended:) But I'm not too sure about the availability of rooms in October, because they are almost always fully booked. I'm going to Bangkok again in October and I'm staying with them again. Looking forward to another great stay with them.

krobbie
September 30th, 2008, 08:35
I stayed at The Rose Hotel twice last year and I thought it to be adequate for what I was paying. The rooms are small and some microscopic and crazily laid out.

The pool area is great.

Breakfast is mediocre at best but so are most after a week.

The front desk folk are friendly and there are no joiners fees.

I wouldn't want to be trapped in my room for a day though as there is no view to speak of, although the position on Suriwong Rd is convenient to the bars and shows. I have since found better accommodation in South Sathorn. Better value for money and I don't mind that I have to travel a bit further to the bars. That's what the BTS is for.

Also The Rose have put up their rates for no reason I can discern. It surely isn't for better rooms and service.

Cheers
krobbie

bing
September 30th, 2008, 11:27
I'll be at the Rose Hotel in a week and will post observations in the future. Back in 1992 or 3 it was the first place I stayed in Bangkok. I hated the shower but loved the rest of the place, even the lady who lived on the 3rd floor. She cleaned my room would run for food and did washing, Sort of a concierge, Thai style, Lady lived in the hallway and watched over me. I have been back only once since then, so am ready to do it again. I know for sure the showers are better now.

September 30th, 2008, 11:39
Speaking from experience, Tarntawan has in room internet access at no charge.
The Rose also has in room wifi at 300 baht per day (also offers hourly rates).
Neither charges a joiner fee.
Both have room service (though I'm not sure if 'decent' is applicable).
Both have English TV stations, but limited (seems it was BBC and a movie channel)
And The Rose's superior room runs 1900 baht (standard is a bit cheaper).

So, my first post after years of reading this forum. Pretty basic and shouldn't result in too many attacks - I'll do better next time!

September 30th, 2008, 11:45
So, my first post after years of reading this forum. Pretty basic and shouldn't result in too many attacks - I'll do better next time!You done good. Keep it up

TrongpaiExpat
September 30th, 2008, 13:00
i stayed in baan saladaeng from 11th to 21st Sept '08. It was a great stay for me and I highly recommend it. The 3 - Jin, Jerry and Nutt were simply amazingly very accommodating. It lacks certain facilities that a hotel can provide but Jin, Jerry and Nutt more than makes up for it. A simple continental breakfast in the morning, enough for an empty stomach in the morning.

The rates are appropriately priced. rooms are very chic, designed by yours truly, Nutt. The locality is very convenient. Near to Silom MRT station and Saladaeng BTS. Close to Soi Twilight, Silom Soi 2 & 4 and Patpong:)

Baan Saladeang comes highly recommended:) But I'm not too sure about the availability of rooms in October, because they are almost always fully booked. I'm going to Bangkok again in October and I'm staying with them again. Looking forward to another great stay with them.

I can't figure out if you, the author of this thread, is nutt one of the proprietors, a very happy anonymous guest, one of the owners pretending to be a satisfied customer, or just some nut.

If your are one of the owners, no need to hide, it's nice to have some business owner input in this forum.

waile
September 30th, 2008, 14:42
i stayed in baan saladaeng from 11th to 21st Sept '08. It was a great stay for me and I highly recommend it. The 3 - Jin, Jerry and Nutt were simply amazingly very accommodating. It lacks certain facilities that a hotel can provide but Jin, Jerry and Nutt more than makes up for it. A simple continental breakfast in the morning, enough for an empty stomach in the morning.

I can't figure out if you, the author of this thread, is nutt one of the proprietors, a very happy anonymous guest, one of the owners pretending to be a satisfied customer, or just some nut.

If your are one of the owners, no need to hide, it's nice to have some business owner input in this forum.

i can assure you that i'm not one of the proprietors and i guess i shldnt have have written yours truly as i don mean it to be yours truly as in me:) however, im glad i chose this B&B as my accommodation in bangkok. to be politically correct so to say:)

October 7th, 2008, 20:28
hi there i going to bangkok next year and been looking around the Strand inn is in the nightlife area Patpong rd 2 upstairs from the night life if you find somehwere can you let me know the om yim lodge is away from the night life but sounds good to and down the road there a guesthouse i see on the net called charlie house and it only 740 baht so i rang and a joiner is allowed with no fee anyway good hunting advise me on what you have seen and what you going to take thanks

My God, man...get the full stop (period) key on your computer fixed. Just what we (don't) need: another semi-literate poster.

October 7th, 2008, 20:45
No one seems to have mentioned the Suriwong Hotel. It is not expensive, clean - last July, decent coffee house and restaurant. Very convenient for all the action. No problem with visitors etc. Some rooms no windows. also short time rooms.

Of course the Malaysia is very popular, if a little sleazy. They take details of IDs of vistors. It is only 50B by taxi to Silom.

October 8th, 2008, 02:46
No one seems to have mentioned the Suriwong Hotel. ... Of course the Malaysia is very popular, if a little sleazy. You think the Suriwong Hotel isn't sleazy?

October 8th, 2008, 11:53
Trantawan Place. Write to Lucas or Markus and they will give u an afforable rate and you will stay everytime