PDA

View Full Version : whats your favourite gay thailand message board?

September 28th, 2008, 19:08
to follow up from another message.

September 28th, 2008, 23:20
MIGHT HAVE BEEN MORE INTERESTING TO HAVE INCLUDED THIS BOARD....

MAYBE A RUN OFF AFTER A WEEK....

catawampuscat
September 28th, 2008, 23:29
oops! I misread the poll question and answered "another one" .
If it matters to anyone deduct one "another one" and add one Gaytingtong.. :cat:

Jetsam
September 29th, 2008, 00:59
oops! I misread the poll question and answered "another one" .
If it matters to anyone deduct one "another one" and add one Gaytingtong.. :cat:

I think you misread again, Gaytingtong was there from the start :clown:

September 29th, 2008, 01:15
would those who have voted some other one like to specify!

September 29th, 2008, 02:14
Guys, let's get real.
This is the only message board with balls.
As a newbie poster, I know I'm entering the lion's den, but with all the eccentrics and personal vendettas dispalayed on a regular basis, SGT is required reading.
Whatever - it is never boring!

September 29th, 2008, 04:57
How about including this site in the poll?

September 29th, 2008, 05:44
How about including this site in the poll?I voted for the one z909 tells us exists for unretired under-55 gay Western guy in Thailand

lonelywombat
September 29th, 2008, 07:10
Alf who started this poll has only one other post on this forum

your right its not fair. i have been reading this message board for years but never posted because everyone seems to enjoy bashing each other. but i have been a regular poster on pattaya passion and i find their board not only friendlier but also very informative. though they are new and still growing, i think they will soon be one of the more popular message boards. go see for yourself.

alf

Is this poll not an ingenious way to promote Pattaya passion

bing
September 29th, 2008, 07:32
Silly me, I voted for Gay Thailand and thougth I was voting for this forum. Guess I will have to read the choices with more attention in the future.

catawampuscat
September 29th, 2008, 11:06

You can promote a gaythailand website forum all day and all nite but if
it is flat, over moderated, or a boring blog, most will just look and move on.
This poll was worded badly and somewhat tricky like the infamous Florida hanging chad scandal
of US presidential elections past. OK, a slight exaggeration but still an impressive showing
for Gaytingtong even with the pattayapassion lovers out in full force.

There is room for everyone and all of us just have to decide where to go. I did
hear snowy is looking for a new home and really hopes he decides on pattayapassion
or gaybuttons forum. :cat:

September 29th, 2008, 11:54
where is this mysterious some other one?

surely not thaivisa!

TrongpaiExpat
September 29th, 2008, 12:40
hear snowy is looking for a new home and really hopes he decides on pattayapassion
or gaybuttons forum. :cat:

News Flash: Snowy made his dramatic exit but after his Swan Song, he kept his hand on the stage curtain at exit stage left waiting for applause. The crowd roared and he made a reappearance. He is back now thanking all the little people. Not a dry eye in the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl95eDA_uR4&feature=related

Blieb ich auf meinen weg!

September 30th, 2008, 06:09
How about including this site in the poll?I voted for the one z909 tells us exists for unretired under-55 gay Western guy in Thailand

I might be under 55, but amnesia comes early & I don't quite remember recommending a site that caters for under 55s.
No doubt you can remind me.
Age is rather irrelevant on a forum.

Smiles
September 30th, 2008, 10:07
I wonder about Pattaya Passion ... why it's there, why it exists? I just took a look at it for the first time in 3 or 4 months.

In the 'Views' column: on the entire first page only one topic has triple digit views (and that's the Board Introduction topic). All the other views are in the teens to 30's. That's it.
That essentially means that hardly any one reads the Board!

Then, when you click on any of the topics, the replies are 80% posted by the 3 Moderators. So not only are the 'Views' unbelievably low, they are mostly made by the Mods, either posting themselves, or policing replies making sure that no one disobeys their very strict Posting Rules.
And then there's the totally wierd Board rule that no one who isn't registered and logged in can even take a look at the place.

The topics are ~ to a high proportion ~ strangely not related to gay Thailand. Lots of lists (posted by Mods) along the lines of 'How do you know you're Gay?' or 'Let's all post a joke' or 'Let's all go off-topic for a fun post' or "How To Destroy A Relationship In 6 Easy Steps!".
The Moderators there continually revel in there NOT being any nastiness there, that what a great Board they have because no one argues or spouts a negative word, or "how-peaceful-are-we"?

I don't get Pattaya Passion. It is "there", but really has no reason to be "there" besides being a vanity board for the Owner. It looks Pretty in Pink, but "passion" it hardly has.

I also wonder why 'Alf' (a self-described 'Passion Peon') did not put Sawatdee in the poll by it's own name? This is the largest Board by far (it is undeniable, simply by the numbers. TingTong being easily second, again, by the numbers), and he could not bring himself to even spell out the name of it. That says a lot (to me) about the mentality ~ not to mention the philosophy ~ of the folks who run Pattaya Passion.

Cheers ...

September 30th, 2008, 11:47
How about including this site in the poll?I voted for the one z909 tells us exists for unretired under-55 gay Western guy in ThailandI might be under 55, but amnesia comes early & I don't quite remember recommending a site that caters for under 55s.You didn't. You bitched about this one in a thread as being for the retired over-55s, as if there is an alternative. When I asked you for one you ducked and weaved about googling. It was a comment to underline your stupidity

September 30th, 2008, 13:19

yes i told you this already. i just read i dont usually post.

if it works to be that its ok with me. its a great board with a lot of worthwhile information.

http://pattayapassion.19.forumer.com

lonelywombat
September 30th, 2008, 14:21

yes i told you this already. i just read i dont usually post.

if it works to be that its ok with me. its a great board with a lot of worthwhile information.

http://pattayapassion.19.forumer.com

it would be interesting to see how many voters for Pattaya Passion are first time posters

September 30th, 2008, 15:10
I wonder about Pattaya Passion ... why it's there, why it exists? I just took a look at it for the first time in 3 or 4 months.

I also wonder why 'Alf' (a self-described 'Passion Peon') did not put Sawatdee in the poll by it's own name? This is the largest Board by far (it is undeniable, simply by the numbers. TingTong being easily second, again, by the numbers), and he could not bring himself to even spell out the name of it. That says a lot (to me) about the mentality ~ not to mention the philosophy ~ of the folks who run Pattaya Passion.

Cheers ...

Interesting Smiles, the first time in 3 or 4 months... it's only been going a little over two months!

And if you read the poll question it says 'outside this one' as in other than Sawatdee.

September 30th, 2008, 22:24
By the way Smiles... where do you get your information.... Despite asking for the 'Smiles' name to be reserved for you, 'Smiles' is not a registered user last time I checked the member list. Reminds me of the MRSBUCKET vs Mrs. Bucket saga

lonelywombat.. if this thread had brought new members to post on Swatdee, is that bad! And again, read teh Poll question which asks about boards other than this

Wesley
October 1st, 2008, 10:22
has so many pictures of boys on the main page if you are in an internet cafe you will certainly be outed. Not that Gay Thailand is not all over this one but at least you can scroll down.

Wes

October 2nd, 2008, 00:53
I wonder about Pattaya Passion ... why it's there, why it exists?

maybe because it's members want it to. Are boards only allowed to exist because YOU think they have a purpose.....

October 2nd, 2008, 02:12
just registered on gaytingtong - I like this board and the style. Also good topics.

Smiles
October 3rd, 2008, 10:35
" ... By the way Smiles... where do you get your information.... Despite asking for the 'Smiles' name to be reserved for you, 'Smiles' is not a registered user last time I checked the member list. Reminds me of the MRSBUCKET vs Mrs. Bucket saga ... "
I have another handle on Passion in order to register there because some guy on your Board had already registered using 'Smiles'. I did not "reserve" the 'Smiles' handle for myself, you informed me that you had 'reserved' it. I was informed that someone had registered as 'Smiles' by another poster ... went and looked ... and brought it to your attention.
As I had no intention of posting on Passion so I really didn't care so much about the 'Smiles' handle being used, but someone registering as my old man was obviously done with some malice in mind. That's what I mainly objected to.

But ~ with the handle I registered with ~ I did go over there before I posted the numbers above, as well as looking at the threads and determining ~ it wasn't difficult ~ that the Mods and Owner make a very large proportion of the posts.
And that's where I got the information from.

As much as you seem to prefer killing the messenger about all this, the numbers (and conclusions drawn from them) are what they are. If you choose interpret my thoughts on Passion as 'insulting' or 'negative' then that's you're problem, not mine.

Cheers ...

October 3rd, 2008, 10:45
I did not "reserve" the 'Smiles' handle for myselfPerhaps you could register as "Grins"??

lonelywombat
October 3rd, 2008, 13:42
Interesting Smiles, the first time in 3 or 4 months... it's only been going a little over two months!

And if you read the poll question it says 'outside this one' as in other than Sawatdee.

Actually the poll says some other one. Seems devious to post a poll here without letting SWD members vote by the name of this forum like the other 4 listed Have you polled the other forums listed

jinks
October 4th, 2008, 14:52
Passions is too new to compare in the following way.

Here are the lies, dam lies and Statistics ......

BAHT STOP :-
Our members have made a total of 21,307 posts
We have 287 registered members
Most users ever online was 466 on Jun 6 2008, 03:31 PM

TING & TONGS:-
Our users have posted a total of 19,920 articles
We have 828 registered users
Most users ever online was 25 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:51 am

GAY THAILAND :-
Our members have made a total of 15,036 posts
We have 8,353 registered members
Most users ever online was 208 on Sep 22 2006, 02:02 PM

US:-
Our users have posted a total of 123,227 articles
We have 1,622 registered users
Most users ever online was 545 on 03 Apr 2008 13:01

October 4th, 2008, 15:13
A more interesting statistic would be percentage of queeny bitching, troll baiting, and mudsling posts among the total.

lonelywombat
October 4th, 2008, 16:54
A more interesting statistic would be percentage of queeny bitching, troll baiting, and mudsling posts among the total.

Agreed if we take out all your contributions then it would totally different

Wesley
October 4th, 2008, 18:17
has so many pictures of boys on the main page if you are in an internet cafe you will certainly be outed. Not that Gay Thailand is not all over this one but at least you can scroll down.

Wes

If you're in a Thai internet cafe, no one will give a hoot. (To paraphrase another old fart). And Wes, maybe they all know already: blackeye:

Not in that particular shop, it took two weeks to finally get ASDL I could not wait until I got there to keep up with the news, but when I googled this forum, all I kept getting back was the gay Thailand board. I finally found this one when I noticed and clicked one that mentioned Sunnee Plaza and was brought straight here.

Not to worry, if they donтАЩt now, I am sure they will. I got in this morning about 5 AM with a guy on each arm. I was in Malate downtown. If an old fart like me can find a guy imagine what you could do.

The DJ was flown in from SF not that I cared it was all Techno. I was not impressed. But the guys were fine.

You are right while there no one will care, but there were kids standing behind me looking on. The good Caf├й where I could use my own lap top had a death in the family and was closed for a week. So, I decided to use this little shop just under the condo. If you get kids posting here donтАЩt be surprised.

October 4th, 2008, 22:52
Mine has to be sawatdee-gay-ting-tong-passion-stop. I dont need a visa for another 6 months.

Beachlover
October 7th, 2008, 10:03

In the 'Views' column: on the entire first page only one topic has triple digit views (and that's the Board Introduction topic). All the other views are in the teens to 30's. That's it.
That essentially means that hardly any one reads the Board!

Then, when you click on any of the topics, the replies are 80% posted by the 3 Moderators. So not only are the 'Views' unbelievably low, they are mostly made by the Mods, either posting themselves, or policing replies making sure that no one disobeys their very strict Posting Rules.
And then there's the totally wierd Board rule that no one who isn't registered and logged in can even take a look at the place.

The topics are ~ to a high proportion ~ strangely not related to gay Thailand. Lots of lists (posted by Mods) along the lines of 'How do you know you're Gay?' or 'Let's all post a joke' or 'Let's all go off-topic for a fun post' or "How To Destroy A Relationship In 6 Easy Steps!".
The Moderators there continually revel in there NOT being any nastiness there, that what a great Board they have because no one argues or spouts a negative word, or "how-peaceful-are-we"?

I don't get Pattaya Passion. It is "there", but really has no reason to be "there" besides being a vanity board for the Owner. It looks Pretty in Pink, but "passion" it hardly has.

I also wonder why 'Alf' (a self-described 'Passion. Peon') did not put Sawatdee in the poll by it's own name? This is the largest Board by far (it is undeniable, simply by the numbers. TingTong being easily second, again, by the numbers), and he could not bring himself to even spell out the name of it. That says a lot (to me) about the mentality ~ not to mention the philosophy ~ of the folks who run Pattaya Passion.

Cheers ...

Hey Smiles... whoever started Pattaya Passion would have some kind of vision for it (good or bad).

Starting a website like that takes a lot of time/effort or money. Making it popular and attracting users isn't easy.

So if you attack it head-on, implying it has no right to exist and should be destroyed with no regard for the effort put in and little constructive comment, of course they are going to be pissed off... maybe a little hurt (not defending whatever they might have done here...)

I don't particularly like the website myself... it's corny, garish, has a bit too much ego (not good for a brand), doesn't have much of an appealing character, feels a bit happy-clappy and lacks substance... but I think having another site out there is a good thing.... competition is good and who know... in future it might be a useful site.

If it's useful and the owner makes money out of it, then that's great... if it ends up being a dump then it's no loss to us.

Smiles
October 7th, 2008, 11:00
" ... Hey Smiles... whoever started Pattaya Passion would have some kind of vision for it (good or bad).

Starting a website like that takes a lot of time/effort or money. Making it popular and attracting users isn't easy.

Yes, I know. I started Sawatdee many years ago, so I guess I write with some history on that score

So if you attack it head-on, implying it has no right to exist and should be destroyed with no regard for the effort put in and little constructive comment, of course they are going to be pissed off... maybe a little hurt (not defending whatever they might have done here...)

I did not say (or imply) it had no right to exist. I asked 'why' it existed. And I certainly did not even intimate that it should be 'destroyed'.

Just because it accomplishes little purpose (in my opinion) other than being a vanity outlet for the owner would not be any reason for me to suggest it not exist. I really don't care one way or the other ... which seems to be the way you feel, if I read your last sentence correctly

... it's corny, garish, has a bit too much ego (not good for a brand), doesn't have much of an appealing character, feels a bit happy-clappy and lacks substance...

I think I mentioned much the same things, along the same lines, as you ... in my original post.

but I think having another site out there is a good thing.... competition is good and who know... in future it might be a useful site.

If it's useful and the owner makes money out of it, then that's great... if it ends up being a dump then it's no loss to us.

October 9th, 2008, 13:09
thats exactly the right message smiles. lets not worry about what board does what or what it looks like or who posts there. lets just be glad we have choices and leave it to the individual if they want to visit pattayapassion.com or not.

Beachlover
October 9th, 2008, 18:31
" ... Hey Smiles... whoever started Pattaya Passion would have some kind of vision for it (good or bad).

Yes, I know. I started Sawatdee many years ago, so I guess I write with some history on that score

I did not say (or imply) it had no right to exist. I asked 'why' it existed. And I certainly did not even intimate that it should be 'destroyed'.

Just because it accomplishes little purpose (in my opinion) other than being a vanity outlet for the owner would not be any reason for me to suggest it not exist. I really don't care one way or the other ... which seems to be the way you feel, if I read your last sentence correctly

... it's corny, garish, has a bit too much ego (not good for a brand), doesn't have much of an appealing character, feels a bit happy-clappy and lacks substance...

I think I mentioned much the same things, along the same lines, as you ... in my original post.

but I think having another site out there is a good thing.... competition is good and who know... in future it might be a useful site.

Fair enough, Smiles.

It sounded to me like you were pretty much saying the site shouldn't exist at all... but I guess I perceived your wording wrongly.

Smiles
October 10th, 2008, 14:06
" ... lets not worry about what board does what or what it looks like or who posts there ... "
Then why Alfie, start a poll asking folks which is their favourite Board? If you start a poll or a thread with a subject line like that, you must also be prepared for all manner of responses, good or bad.

What hapened on this one was highly predictable: you got the positives and the negatives, including accusations of flogging Pattaya Passion, which in my opinion are quite justified, as "flogging" in general is your Head Passionista's main claim to fame . . . e.g. the exaggerated and tacky touting (in the recent past) of the famous Niddy Cheesburger, and the over production of the Pattaya Players (AKA The Patty Shakespeare Group).

Cheers ...

October 10th, 2008, 14:37
no problem with the answers. i was just pointing out that your comments are often harsh and then you backdance and then you bite again. makes me think what your interest is? as far as the head passion person i dont know who that is, but maybe that's your personal problem with the website? all the moderators i have talked with have been very nice their. so, maybe this is just a personal issue you have?

October 11th, 2008, 17:10
[quote="Smiles"]What hapened on this one was highly predictable: you got the positives and the negatives, including accusations of flogging Pattaya Passion, which in my opinion are quite justified,quote]

Flogging from you, Smiles? REALLY? How surprising. The site seems fine to me and lately the posts have been more plentiful than any of the other boards. Still smiling?

October 11th, 2008, 17:10
[quote="Smiles"]What hapened on this one was highly predictable: you got the positives and the negatives, including accusations of flogging Pattaya Passion, which in my opinion are quite justified,quote]

Flogging from you, Smiles? REALLY? How surprising. The site seems fine to me and lately the posts have been more plentiful than any of the other boards. Still smiling?