PDA

View Full Version : Lurking unseen

Smiles
September 27th, 2008, 17:09
Simple. I'm embarrased at the number of times I post on this Board, thus making it look like I have no life whatsoever.
I've sworn off the place more than once, but ~ sometimes to my chagrin ~ I can't seem to help myself creeping back in the dark, clothed all in black, sword slung Samuri-like across my back ... not all advertised like most. Hehehehe

Cheers ...

September 27th, 2008, 17:17
I've just notice that some users are "hidden'. I wonder why that would be as most members here are more or less anomymous, so why would anyone want to lurk around but not expose themselves? (I deliberately used the word "expose" to elicit some reaction :bounce: )In that same vein, can I suggest you contemplate those who lurk in sauna dark rooms; the same mentality may be at work ie. the pounce

lonelywombat
September 27th, 2008, 17:53
I've just notice that some users are "hidden'. I wonder why that would be as most members here are more or less anomymous, so why would anyone want to lurk around but not expose themselves? (I deliberately used the word "expose" to elicit some reaction :bounce: )

I know a lot of people who read this forum but would never post

Maybe they are lurkers To me they want to know what is happening, happy to read other peoples comments,but most do not want to be in the combative and aggressive environment that is this forum

September 27th, 2008, 19:07
Oh I just hate to push buttons, lately. And i see that the moderater is managing my {IGNORE} button quite well for me nowadays.

DamienZ
September 27th, 2008, 20:05
I've just notice that some users are "hidden'. I wonder why that would be as most members here are more or less anomymous, so why would anyone want to lurk around but not expose themselves? (I deliberately used the word "expose" to elicit some reaction :bounce: )

I would like to take a shot at it if I may. I lurked on this board for a little over a year and a half before getting the courage to sign in as a member (still don't know what came over me). And after a survey of the other boards I would say that this board has a rougher and more hard boiled membership than most ( this might be translated as experienced as well). I would think that a lot of potential posters are probably terrified of being ripped to shreds in some foray or sqirmish of wits (me included). This forum can be a shark tank at times! But on the flipside, the members here do share very unique and genuine familial affections for each other. Sort of like a typical disfunctional family :drunken: . So that's my two bits on it.

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 28th, 2008, 03:53
you can be sure that one of those hidden lurkers is the aclaimed Hedda..desperately seeking talking points to berate his 7 readers on his blog..sorry, that's 6 now that Snowy has spat the dummy.

Or they could be pals of Homintern and part of his conspiracy to take over Sawatdee !

Smiles
September 28th, 2008, 09:25
OK Fattman, just for you I'm un-lurking myself.

Cheers ...

lonelywombat
September 28th, 2008, 10:02

here is the list for the last hour

99 users online in the past hour :: 27 Registered, 2 Hidden, 65 Guests and 5 Bots [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]

I am not sure if you mean the 2 hidden or the 65 that have not logged in

Smiles
September 28th, 2008, 10:27
The Hidden is what I'm referring to...

Yes, let's get it right: 'lurkers' I take to mean folks who read but never post, and that could mean the 65 'guests' ('guests' meaning both not-logged-in Members, or The Unregistered general public), as well as any of the 27 Registered Members who have never posted a single word (and there are many of those ... just take a look at the Member list).

Fattman is refering to the Registered Members who choose to remain 'Hidden' on the "Who's online" list. You can become hidden simply by using the toggle switch in your 'Profile".

So I take back the 'un-lurking' comment, and change that to 'non-hidden'. I misspoke ... or more correctly I guess, misswrote.

Cheers ...

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 28th, 2008, 11:44

here is the list for the last hour

99 users online in the past hour :: 27 Registered, 2 Hidden, 65 Guests and 5 Bots [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]

I am not sure if you mean the 2 hidden or the 65 that have not logged in

isn't this really a non-story ?. I "lurk" from time to time because I don't always log-in but pass by on my way to other important business on the net to see what us raving ratbags having been saying lately.