PDA

View Full Version : Other Thailand boards and there value?

topjohn5
September 27th, 2008, 07:04
Can I get some comments on the value of the other Thailand boards. Specifically the value of the information provided for a newby like me....I just don't want to waste a lot of time on the other sites doing searches if this board is the best one for info. Of course, I am not relying just on a "board" for my Thailand information you can be sure of that! If possible when you comment tell me why you like or dislike them. Also, if you have some other ones I missed please include them in your comments.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on:
1. gaytingtong
2. gaythailand
3. thaivisa
4. utopia-asia
5. baht-stop

September 27th, 2008, 07:08
I like Mr Mos.

September 27th, 2008, 07:14
1. gaytingtong - no comment
2. gaythailand - Created by someone who fell in love with "Thailand" after a single visit to Pattaya. Best (but unintentional) line - "Bangkok is the city of angles"
3. thaivisa - I believe they have a gay section
4. utopia-asia - excellent place for resources provided you understand that for some reason they have a bias against commercial sex. If you're going to be a regular visitor, get hold of their lifetime Utopia card, which gives you a 10% discount in many places. Some bars have their in-house card but sometimes it's renewable annually and for a renewal fee. Utopia's is a one off. Not used in go-go bars (!!!)
5. baht-stop - run by a maniac who patronises everyone whose opinions do not align with his

You didn't mention Dreaded Ned - always useful - http://www.dreadedned.com and the blog Gay Boy Thailand - run by a former member of this Board who was hounded off by the politically correct - http://www.gayboythailand.com/bangkok-thailand/

There's also one called Rice Queen Diary that I stopped reading when I realised he was promoting some fairly objectionable behaviour although he makes some good points about how to deal with Thai boys from timne to time, from the perspective of a resident

September 27th, 2008, 08:17
Each board seems to have developed its own character. Some people sample them all. This board is the largest. In my respectful view, by keeping it going the moderators and many of the contributors make a major contribution to gay life in Thailand. However not every post could be described as "info" (topjohn5's term in his original question).
The Sawatdee Gay Thailand Forum is perhaps a liitle like the Bible. The sources of the most of contributions is unknown. The sheer volume of the material is unmanagable for most people. Some material is fantasy, some ranting, some irritating if takenseriously, some baseless, some sociopathetic and some prolix. A lot of skipping and rapid reading is useful. However there are many good and useful things on this forum and perseverance is well worth while.
Tingtong's and Baht Stop often have useful information, including political and more general discussion. I don't have time to check the other boards regularly. However let a thousnd flowers, or message boards, bloom - even if weeds, thorns and cactus sometimes appear.

francois
September 27th, 2008, 08:41
[quote="topjohn5"]Can I get some comments on the value of the other Thailand boards. Specifically the value of the information provided for a newby like me....I just don't want to waste a lot of time on the other sites doing searches ...

topjohn5; same as the best go go bar for your type of guy, you must search for yourself. In r├йalit├й all forums have something to offer; it is not a waste of time to look and then decide for yourself.

thrillbill
September 27th, 2008, 09:12
Since living in Thailand, I have found a lot of good information from Sawatdee Gay Thailand posts. For me this is especially helpful since all of my co-workers at work are straight. As we all know, we have to filter what is said on the various forums, realize that some of the "regulars" post garbage or a comment to get a rise out of the reader. A big thanks needs to go to all of us that take the time out to answer each member's questions or concerns (I am not being sarcastic here). The only gripe I have with the post is that Sawatdee Gay seems to be geared for the older farang; (I'm not a spring chicken but young at heart) so if you want input from a variety of ages (20's to 80's),it won't happen with this web sight... It seems to be patronized by folks that are retired. Nothing wrong with this, but the 55+ crowd MAY have a different outlook on things than someone in their 30's or 40's.

I like to read the topics on Thaivisa also which will cover news events and information about living in Thailand.

For traveling I think Utopia has more information and updated than Dread's or some other gay websight.

Thank goodness for the internet, it certainly has made access/ knowledge to gay life a lot easier than 20+ years ago when gay venues/ health concerns/ "dating" and other topics were from word of mouth or printed in some gay publication. I envy the young gay man who has it so much easier today than back in the age of no computers, cell phones, and micro wave popcorn!

September 27th, 2008, 09:51
... so if you want input from a variety of ages (20's to 80's),it won't happen with this web sight... It seems to be patronized by folks that are retired. Nothing wrong with this, but the 55+ crowd MAY have a different outlook on things than someone in their 30's or 40's.And you'll be sure to tell us the URL for that Web site when you find it?

lonelywombat
September 27th, 2008, 10:20
Can I get some comments on the value of the other Thailand boards. Specifically the value of the information provided for a newby like me....I just don't want to waste a lot of time on the other sites doing searches if this board is the best one for info. Of course, I am not relying just on a "board" for my Thailand information you can be sure of that! If possible when you comment tell me why you like or dislike them. Also, if you have some other ones I missed please include them in your comments.
1. gaytingtong
2. gaythailand
3. thaivisa
4. utopia-asia
5. baht-stop

I prefer to read and post here. The range of topics and contributors is much wider but your sanity can be challenged by some of the nuts that try and take the board over. There has been tighter moderation in recent months after a poll asking members what they wanted .Learn to use the search feature as a lot of what you want to know has already been answered before. Give some thought as to the subject of your thread, and some detail of what you are looking for

Gaytingtong is a friendlier forum as they are much tougher on what is allowed to be posted It is like living in a small town compared to the big city of SWD. Everyone seems to know and respect each other

Baht-stop mainly ex pats who appear to be financially stretched. It does attract more political comment than all forums put together, both Thai and mainly US To seek much info on bars discos and saunas, probably not the place to ask

Gaythailand is moderated by the most prolific poster to all forums and most threads are started by him or the owner.
A lot of good advice on living in Thailand but mainly one mans point of view

I have never found Thaivisa interesting

the pgreport published free weekly is full of news of what is happening and has 2 years of back reports in its archive
www.pgreport.com (http://www.pgreport.com)
it also gives a link to gayaffairspattaya.com which has a social page and the best maps of gay pattaya around

A rule of thumb -----when your OP reaches the third page , change the title and start again i a new thread.

September 27th, 2008, 10:23
There has been tighter moderation in recent months after a poll asking members It constantly amazes me how people see what they want (or expect) to see - I haven't noticed any difference. If you take the boygeenyus saga, for example, clearly the Mods have simply given up on their policy of never letting The Lad post here again. Chao Na's been going strong for weeks now

bing
September 27th, 2008, 10:29
You touched on a thought that has crossed my mind a few times. You are correct. It is a good thing to realize that when I first started visiting Thailand back in the early 90's, I did not have a computer or even know how to use one, and the only real source of information aside from travel guides in Barnes and Nobles was Sparticus. I sat with my cup of coffee and read every entre about Thailand. I even hand drew a pic of the map of hot spots in Bangkok. It pointed me to the Rose Hotel in Bangkok and Ambiance in Pattaya, so a big thanks to Sparticus for service rendered. One stop at Sawatdee Gay Thailand is a light year ahead of the Sparticus of old. Thank Buddah for this forum, even with its abundance of warts.

Smiles
September 27th, 2008, 10:40
" ... I haven't noticed any difference. If you take the boygeenyus saga, for example, clearly the Mods have simply given up on their policy of never letting The Lad post here again. Chao Na's been going strong for weeks now ... "
I believe Chao Na officially denies he is Boygeenyus (it is to laugh).
So, lacking incontrovertible proof ~ the democratic spirit and all that ~ the boys in charge have let him live.
You may have noticed that every time Boygeenyus arrives here again under a new handle he has been allowed to stay, at least for awhile. Sooner or later jinks gets bored with him and cuts him off at the knees.

Cheers ...

September 27th, 2008, 10:58
Thank Buddah for this forum, even with its abundance of warts.As Buddha has been dead for around 2500 years, which by my reckoning pre-dates the Internet, let alone this Board, I wonder why he should be thanked?
I believe Chao Na officially denies he is Boygeenyus I have denied that I am Hedda. Many people choose to believe that, which goes to the heart of that old dictum about fooling all of the people some of the time

catawampuscat
September 27th, 2008, 11:24
I have repeated my opinions on the various sites before, but since you asked:

SGT.. #1 and all you need, except when the site goes down or someone forgets to
pay a bill and then I truly appreciate that there are other gaythailand forums.

GTT.. #2 and a strong #2. It is a forum with a heart and low tolerance for borish
behavior and plain old nastiness and agenda driven posters. I have been very impressed
with the generousity and openness of the moderators in helping a lost Thai boy find
himself and give him a fighting chance at life.
toq has proven to be an excellent moderator and I hope his imminent departure from
Pattaya to a very rural part of Thailand, doesn't alter what makes GTT work best.

The other gaythailand forums serve as blogs/semi-forums, are over-moderated, lifeless and passionless.
Not really fair, as I only glanced at pattayapassion once, but found nothing of interest and
the mauve, fuschias and other shades of purple and pink very hard on the eyes.
:cat:

topjohn5
September 27th, 2008, 11:56
1. gaytingtong
2. gaythailand
3. thaivisa
4. utopia-asia
5. baht-stop

I prefer to read and post here. The range of topics and contributors is much wider but your sanity can be challenged by some of the nuts that try and take the board over. There has been tighter moderation in recent months after a poll asking members what they wanted .Learn to use the search feature as a lot of what you want to know has already been answered before. Give some thought as to the subject of your thread, and some detail of what you are looking for

Gaytingtong is a friendlier forum as they are much tougher on what is allowed to be posted It is like living in a small town compared to the big city of SWD. Everyone seems to know and respect each other

Baht-stop mainly ex pats who appear to be financially stretched. It does attract more political comment than all forums put together, both Thai and mainly US To seek much info on bars discos and saunas, probably not the place to ask

Gaythailand is moderated by the most prolific poster to all forums and most threads are started by him or the owner.
A lot of good advice on living in Thailand but mainly one mans point of view

I have never found Thaivisa interesting

the pgreport published free weekly is full of news of what is happening and has 2 years of back reports in its archive
www.pgreport.com (http://www.pgreport.com)
it also gives a link to gayaffairspattaya.com which has a social page and the best maps of gay pattaya around

A rule of thumb -----when your OP reaches the third page , change the title and start again i a new thread.

Sorry for being a newby but I really don't understand what you mean....Do you mean change the title of the current post (can you do that?) or do you mean start a new post about the same thing....or start a new post and topic just for the heck of it even when you have nothing to say? Honestly, I'm sorry for being dense....

September 27th, 2008, 12:00
Sorry for being a newby but I really don't understand what you mean....Do you mean change the title of the current post (can you do that?) or do you mean start a new post about the same thing....or start a new post and topic just for the heck of it even when you have nothing to say? Honestly, I'm sorry for being dense....Since you began the thread, if you go back and {Edit} your original post, the very first one, you can change anything, including I believe the thread title

September 27th, 2008, 15:29
....or start a new post and topic just for the heck of it even when you have nothing to say? Honestly, I'm sorry for being dense....

You are far too modest - you have put your finger on the spot in no time!

September 27th, 2008, 15:45
Not really fair, as I only glanced at pattayapassion once, but found nothing of interest and
the mauve, fuschias and other shades of purple and pink very hard on the eyes.
:cat:

your right its not fair. i have been reading this message board for years but never posted because everyone seems to enjoy bashing each other. but i have been a regular poster on pattaya passion and i find their board not only friendlier but also very informative. though they are new and still growing, i think they will soon be one of the more popular message boards. go see for yourself.

alf

thrillbill
September 27th, 2008, 17:27
... so if you want input from a variety of ages (20's to 80's),it won't happen with this web sight... It seems to be patronized by folks that are retired. Nothing wrong with this, but the 55+ crowd MAY have a different outlook on things than someone in their 30's or 40's.And you'll be sure to tell us the URL for that Web site when you find it?

September 27th, 2008, 17:35
(To Homintern) As you would say, go on Google... :blackeye:As I do say, irony is wasted on Americans. Such a site (or as you would have it, sight) doesn't exist - which was my point

September 27th, 2008, 18:17
Having followed all the boards for some time I feel that pattayapassion is the best for information and chat

Shuee
September 27th, 2008, 18:18
i would say that GTT board favours more pictures, & also for sure has less bitching going on & perhaps because of a smaller number of posters? you can read into a more friendlier welcoming board, but to add, i still look at SGF first & formost,

thank you both for your site hosting

September 27th, 2008, 18:51
(To Homintern) As you would say, go on Google... :blackeye:As I do say, irony is wasted on Americans. Such a site (or as you would have it, sight) doesn't exist - which was my point

The only irony i care about is when the boy stiffens my creases.

Wesley
September 27th, 2008, 19:23
ive been around this one from when it was Gaypataya forum its always been helpful in everyway, take some posting for what it is and enjoy the rest.

Wes

September 28th, 2008, 03:36
This forum has the advantages of being well supported & has witty comments from Homi & a few others.
However, quite a number of contributors are quite rude & frequently use foul language.

One can avoid this by using the other fora.

Smiles
September 28th, 2008, 10:10
ive been around this one from when it was Gaypataya forum its always been helpful in everyway, take some posting for what it is and enjoy the rest.

Wes
A small point but necessary. Sawatdee was never 'Gaypataya' (or more accurately, PattayaGay Board).

This Board (1st Ed.) was started for a number of reasons, not the least of them being that PattayaGay board was about to be deep-sixed by it's owner (Allan: AKA 'Gaypattayan') and an alternative was badly needed . . . because . . . the GayButton Board was over-moderated to the point of being ~ posting-wise ~ virtually moribund, and the 2nd version of Dreaded Ned had some very dramatic legal issues (and also taken down). The EZBoard version of Sawatdee thus started up. This phpBB incarnation of Sawatdee is the sole and direct child of the EZBoard version.

Cheers ...

Brad the Impala
September 28th, 2008, 14:35

Wes
A small point but necessary. Sawatdee was never 'Gaypataya' (or more accurately, PattayaGay Board).

This Board (1st Ed.) was started for a number of reasons, not the least of them being that PattayaGay board was about to be deep-sixed by it's owner (Allan: AKA 'Gaypattayan') and an alternative was badly needed . . . because . . . the GayButton Board was over-moderated to the point of being ~ posting-wise ~ virtually moribund, and the 2nd version of Dreaded Ned had some very dramatic legal issues (and also taken down). The EZBoard version of Sawatdee thus started up. This phpBB incarnation of Sawatdee is the sole and direct child of the EZBoard version.

Cheers ...

Too modest! Smiles himself gave birth to the original Sawatdee Forum, and hence it's descendants. I have always wondered who the father was?

September 28th, 2008, 15:02
I have always wondered who the father was?A Virgin Birth, I believe - it's rather like that Roman Catholic conundrum, the search for the Immaculate Contraception

Wesley
September 28th, 2008, 15:22
I was trying to avoid the ugly History of why it was formed which all was not all about GayPattyuan finding a new BF and didn't have the time, some like smiles felt it was over moderated as well amd wanted a more open forum with less restrictions so both ran for a while until gay Pattayan found his new love of life, not to mention he was tired of all the bitchign about deleted posts and people who felt that the moderators were not all fair as they do in this one ocassionally.

The first one was born with Hedda in full swing and a number of new named but old posters who felt it their duty to make life imposssible for any who did did not do as they were told. I was never sure who the moderator was, smiles or Hedda.

Smiles would deep six a post and Hedda would run the newbies off and any oldies she felt like did not meet her intellectual crtieria for posting.

So for a while I was off after I met the love of my life and had no time to bother with this mess and avoided posting. if I did it was usually under a new name.

Finally the forum settled into what it is now, when and how exactly Smiles gave up the moderators position I am not sure. But he at times will still moderate from the sidelines .

Wes

jinks
September 28th, 2008, 21:49
Finally the forum settled into what it is now, when and how exactly Smiles gave up the moderators position I am not sure.

But he at times will still moderate from the sidelines.

Wes

From the sidelines ????? if bitching and moaning is from the side lines OK.

TrongpaiExpat
September 29th, 2008, 00:31
Too modest! Smiles himself gave birth to the original Sawatdee Forum, and hence it's descendants. I have always wondered who the father was?

If memory serves me right, didn't Gaybutton throw him out of the Gaybutton site and told him to go and start your own board, this one is MINE. So in that sense Gaybutton has to be the father. DNA testing pending.

Wesley
September 29th, 2008, 10:24
I was tryign not to mention all the truth, we all know he gets hiw way ocassionaly after a bitch or 3

Thanks Jinks and Spike for putting up with us.

Wes