PDA

View Full Version : Mr or Ms Sawatdee Gay Thailand 2008.

September 26th, 2008, 16:29
Being the time of year when a lot of awards are dished out, I thought that perhaps it would be nice, that rather than being derogatory in what we say in our posts about other members here, something we are all guilty of, myself included and at times more than most, http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/icon_redface.gif it would be nice if we had an opportunity to say something positive about them instead.

I am proposing that this thread be used, whereby all of our members can nominate a fellow member to receive the title of Mr/Ms Sawatdee Gay Thailand for 2008. Members put forward to receive the title, should be ones whom you feel contribute to the board in a positive way by either, their informative posts, pictorial posts, or for example, their constant display of a good sense of humour, where they give us a good laugh every time we read their posts. Being devoid of one, there is no chance of myself being considered as a possible winner in that category, hey Hommie? http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/2395.gif

It's entirely up to you guys to vote for whomever you want and for whatever reason. Each individual member can put forward as many names as he likes. However it would be good and appreciated by me, if in only a few words, you gives a reason/s for your nomination/s.

I haven't spoken to Rainwalker yet as to the possibility of him hosting his annual Christmas drinks and buffet get together for members of this board, but if he is unable to do so this year, (something which I believe will be the case from what I have heard) and this proposal of mine is treated in the positive way I would like to see it treated by the members here, I would be agreeable in offering to host this years annual get together myself, as well of course, in being very happy to pick up the tab for it.

However, if this plan of mine does come off and I am able to host this years Christmas get together, while members will be able to drink whatever they want and as much as they want, I will be informing all of the staff behind the bar, that any requests for malt whiskey from anybody, must be made to me personally before it is served. My reason for doing this has nothing to do with costs, but rather to discover and to be able to once and for all dispel the myth, of whether there is any rumour whatsoever in the truth; that Hommie has never once visited Pattaya. :iconbiggrin:

Apart from being willing to host this years Christmas get together, I am also very happy to put up a trophy for the winner of the above award, which will presented on the same day. My one and only condition where this is concerned; is that the winner in accepting his award, will have no objection to revealing his real life identity. I guess I could say at this point, that because of this condition, it would be a waste of time for anyone thinking of doing so, to vote for someone such as the cowardly impala. However, because I have stated that I want to keep this thread positive, I will refrain from doing so. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/whistling.gif

When and if I get a reasonable amount of nominations for this award, I will offer my own noninations and organize a poll whereby it can be voted on by all members, even those that read the board but do not post. They would of course have to be members to vote and unlike some here, I believe their vote to be equally as valid and of the same importance, as the members that do post.

If it gets that far, I will give a date in December and a time that the Christmas party will be held, along with the name of the bar it will be held at. Who knows, if we are really lucky, or unlucky, depending on what your views are where this person is concerned, we may be able to persuade George Stanley to come along and sing a few numbers. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/happy011.gif

Now while I know my proposal will be very popular among the balloon chasers, it is one which I would like to see some genuine response given to it by all of the members here. So with all of the above said, is their a possibility that my proposal could be a goer and one that has a chance of seeing the light of day? Or alternatively, is it going to be one that doesn't even get off of the ground and is killed off from the very beginning? To use that very well known clich├й among us all here, I guess it is very muvch a case of: Up To You.

Cheers All,

George.

September 26th, 2008, 16:59
Nice idea George, but I have my doubts that the readers of SGT are philanthropic enough to go along with it - after all, why break the habit of a lifetime and and be nice to someone?

If you want nominations, then mine would be for Dodger. I have always enjoyed reading his honest accounts of life, both the ups and downs, and he has certainly given me lots to think about.

On the subject of the drinks bash, I am not sure if an appearance by Mr Stanley would rouse enthusiasm or not. .....Good Ol' GeeGee, just like Smack the Pony! Now, a lecture from Livingstone on the perils of exploring darkest Pattaya might be just the tonic, especially if it was an illustrated lecture.

Smiles
September 26th, 2008, 17:44
More intriguing, How about a list of Famous Ex-Sawatdee-ers who wouldn't re-enter this demented and nasty board if it was an up-turned-virgin-Thai-bubble-butt-pre-lubed-and-ready-for-a'ploughin' offered as first prize.

My list of such:

Hedda[/*:m:2jij1v9y]
Surfcrest[/*:m:2jij1v9y]
Peter1969[/*:m:2jij1v9y]
Jaffarrafuckmyarab [/*:m:2jij1v9y]
Boygeenyus[/*:m:2jij1v9y]
RichLB[/*:m:2jij1v9y]
BadBoyBilly[/*:m:2jij1v9y]
The Colonel (AKA Herr Colon El)[/*:m:2jij1v9y]
Haloi[/*:m:2jij1v9y]
Mr Henry Cate (who is actually still here, but is on the brink of announcing a grievous moral issue wherebye he must vacate the Board in order to be true to his deep sense of integrity)[/*:m:2jij1v9y]
There are more but I've forgotten.

Cheers ...

September 26th, 2008, 18:25
More intriguing, How about a list of Famous Ex-Sawatdee-ers who wouldn't re-enter this demented and nasty board if it was an up-turned-virgin-Thai-bubble-butt-pre-lubed-and-ready-for-a'ploughin' offered as first prize.

My list of such:

Hedda[/*:m:3q0t2y48]
Surfcrest[/*:m:3q0t2y48]
Peter1969[/*:m:3q0t2y48]
Jaffarrafuckmyarab [/*:m:3q0t2y48]
Boygeenyus[/*:m:3q0t2y48]
RichLB[/*:m:3q0t2y48]
BadBoyBilly[/*:m:3q0t2y48]
The Colonel (AKA Herr Colon El)[/*:m:3q0t2y48]
Haloi[/*:m:3q0t2y48]
Mr Henry Cate (who is actually still here, but is on the brink of announcing a grievous moral issue wherebye he must vacate the Board in order to be true to his deep sense of integrity)[/*:m:3q0t2y48]

Cheers ...

Smiles, and I say this with the greatest of respect, Fuck off! http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/happy011.gif

Seriously, great idea of yours Smiles, even though from that list of yours above, I personally know that four of those members, while they may well be doing so under different names, are still very much posting here. I also believe that such an idea needs a thread of it's own, Cow Jai? Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink. ;)

A couple of nominations of mine in order to try and get the thread back on track, are fattman, for what I believe are his informative posts along with the congenial way he conducts himself on the forum the majority of the time: And Dodger, for as well as the reasons given above by gwm4asian, which I agree with totally, I also believe that his posts more than any other member here, absolutely ooze with honesty in the way they are written. More nominations from me later.

Cheers,

George.

September 26th, 2008, 21:32
George, I am stunned. What on earth can a FOF (fat old fart) like me have done to be nominated? Anyway, There are lots of good guys here who have made more positive contributions than me with detailed trip reports and so on. The only trips I get are over the kerb...

Exactly the type of modest comment I expected from you fattman. So in response to your comment above of:There are lots of good guys here who have made more positive contributions than me with detailed trip reports How about some of their names from you then. ;)

Cheers fattman,

George.

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 26th, 2008, 21:50

My list of such:

Hedda[/*:m:3vcyits8]
Surfcrest[/*:m:3vcyits8]
Peter1969[/*:m:3vcyits8]
Jaffarrafuckmyarab [/*:m:3vcyits8]
Boygeenyus[/*:m:3vcyits8]
RichLB[/*:m:3vcyits8]
BadBoyBilly[/*:m:3vcyits8]
The Colonel (AKA Herr Colon El)[/*:m:3vcyits8]
Haloi[/*:m:3vcyits8]
Mr Henry Cate (who is actually still here, but is on the brink of announcing a grievous moral issue wherebye he must vacate the Board in order to be true to his deep sense of integrity)[/*:m:3vcyits8]

Cheers ...

forgotten ?..how could you ?..LMTU & Earwig..the most famous of them all !

I nominate Homitern as Mizz Sawatdee..hideous, but she's an old bitch ( and a fat old cunt)so why not.

jinks
September 26th, 2008, 22:41
If it's a drag competition here is my nomination.......

http://www.jinkscorp.com/holidays/uk/1989/images/wotadrag.jpg

September 27th, 2008, 02:16
Most humorous i would go for Khun Lunchtime O`Booze.

Despite the occasional tempestuous outburst he does give us many a titter and some outrageous name dropping to boot.

Tongue firmly in cheek award would be a toss up between smiles & george.

Hard to choose most informative poster - believe it or not there are quite a few here! Just they dont post so much as others.

If you do hold the christmas party george i cant make it, but i would be happy to contribute something towards it.

September 27th, 2008, 02:33
Smiles...how could you forget Mr. X?

bao-bao
September 27th, 2008, 03:37
Without some sort of categories itтАЩd be really difficult for me to pick ONE posting member to nominate. Perhaps there could be nominations for things like:

Most Informative
Most Opinionated (perhaps with a few sub-categories for the quantity on this board!)
Best Peacemaker (thatтАЩs peace, not piece)
Longest Posts (something for the size queens)
Best Storyteller
Brevity Award
Most Clever
Funniest Post
Best Bar Report
Best GoGo Club Report
Best Massage Report
Best Restaurant Report
Best Travel Story
Most Often Correct
Most Humorous

Certainly too many above, but maybe some of them?

Personally I like reading the stories of personal experiences on the board. Nobody has to be a professional writer (or indeed not all that much of a typist) to tell a story, and we ALL have something to add. With very few exceptions IтАЩve enjoyed all of the experiences shared here. Even the repeated questions from newbies remind me of the excitement of my first visits.

Someone I do miss is Fatman41. He hasnтАЩt surfaced here in about a year. If heтАЩs out there, I hope heтАЩll renew a membership or drop me an email.

Bob
September 27th, 2008, 05:06
Being the time of year when a lot of awards are dished out, I thought that perhaps it would be nice, that rather than being derogatory in what we say in our posts about other members here, something we are all guilty of, myself included and at times more than most,

What a sweet idea, George. In response, all I can say is: FUCK OFF!

(just kidding and I'll buy ya a beer in HH if you have the cajones to come there next week)

September 27th, 2008, 06:51
... Lunchtime O`Booze ... Tongue firmly in cheek I thought that was my claim to fame. Speaking of which, there's a boy waiting ...

September 27th, 2008, 07:18
Without some sort of categories itтАЩd be really difficult for me to pick ONE posting member to nominate. Perhaps there could be nominations for things like:

Most Informative
Most Opinionated (perhaps with a few sub-categories for the quantity on this board!)
Best Peacemaker (thatтАЩs peace, not piece)
Longest Posts (something for the size queens)
Best Storyteller
Brevity Award
Most Clever
Funniest Post
Best Bar Report
Best GoGo Club Report
Best Massage Report
Best Restaurant Report
Best Travel Story
Most Often Correct
Most Humorous

Certainly too many above, but maybe some of them?

bao bao, with the greatest of respect, whilst I have said that I am perfectly happy to host a Christmas gathering for the members of this forum, if you think I am prepared to host one for the length of time which would be necessary in order to present all of the awards that you suggest, you can go and get fucked. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/happy011.gif

I have offered to present one award and one award only, which if I may inform you, is one more than anyone has offered to present at any time previously. So although I agree it is an hard task, you will have to take all of the above qualities into account when putting forward the member/s you believe are worthy enough, to be the recipient of such an award.

On a personal note, look out for a pm from me in the next few days. ;)

What a sweet idea, George. In response, all I can say is: FUCK OFF! (just kidding and I'll buy ya a beer in HH if you have the cajones to come there next week)

Bob despite my cajones having been the main topic of conversation in many posts over the past couple of weeks, along with many guesses as to their size, they are poosts that for whatever reason, you have obviously missed seeing. So instead of my asking you to do a search of these posts, let me assure you that my cajones have been respnsible for my having gone to many places in my life, that the majority of men through sheer fear on their part, they would never even contemplate going to.

So with that said, let me inform tell you, that beer is something I only drink on rare ocassions, but you can get ready to buy me a very large gin and tonic. Having said this, I think it only fair that I say to you, that you had perhaps better heed Brad the Liar's warning that appeared in another thread here today, that I am the type of person that disappears when it is my turn to by a round of drinks back. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/whistling.gif

In all seriousness Bob, being able to be in the company of both yourself and Khun Davit very soon, is something that not only am I very much looking forward to, but is something I have looked forward to for a long while now. So apart from signing off from this post in the same way as the man himself is quite often known to do, let me just say, you can be sure you will see me in HH. next week.

Cheers, http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/cheers.gif

George.

September 27th, 2008, 07:24
... for me to read George's post, the Duty Mem'sahib had finished Chapters One and Two of War & Peace

September 27th, 2008, 07:43

Despite the occasional tempestuous outburst he does give us many a titter and some outrageous name dropping to boot.

Hard to choose most informative poster - believe it or not there are quite a few here! Just they dont post so much as others.

If you do hold the christmas party george i cant make it, but i would be happy to contribute something towards it.

Hi Oogs, apart from agreeing with you in what you have said above about that old reprobate O'Booze and believing your nomination to be a good one, let me thank you for your kind offer. As someone whose generosity and hospitality I have come to know is second to no one, let me say for now, that I will be posting something shortly on TT with regard to this thread and will wait to see, how both yourself and the members there feel about the proposal I will be making.

Thanks again Oogs for your generous offer and for those that haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet, let me say to them, that you are someone among the many members of Gay Thailand message boards, that it really has been my pleasure and privilege, to not only have had the chance to meet, but to have also had the opportunity to get to know a little bit too.

I hope that what I have said doesn't embarrass you in any way, if it does, I can always say that I was lying. :iconbiggrin:

Cheers Oogs,

George.

bao-bao
September 28th, 2008, 08:47
bao bao, with the greatest of respect, whilst I have said that I am perfectly happy to host a Christmas gathering for the members of this forum, if you think I am prepared to host one for the length of time which would be necessary in order to present all of the awards that you suggest, you can go and get fucked. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/happy011.gif

I have offered to present one award and one award only, which if I may inform you, is one more than anyone has offered to present at any time previously. So although I agree it is an hard task, you will have to take all of the above qualities into account when putting forward the member/s you believe are worthy enough, to be the recipient of such an award.

ขอโทษ, George - I didn't remember the "one award" part of your post. I'll consider the f**king when I find out which one's the top and if there's kissing required!

Like I said before I enjoy the personal stories, so that narrows it down quite a bit. Even though it was a sad tale I enjoyed the story posted by globalwanderer about the accidental death of his friend Oot, and Dodger's reports are usually quite entertaining, since I can't imagine every being quite as adventurous (ok, maybe even reckless) in love there as he has been... and more than once!

All things considered, I'll cast a vote for Dodger.

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 28th, 2008, 11:56

Hi Oogs, apart from agreeing with you in what you have said above about that old reprobate O'Booze and believing your nomination to be a good one, let me thank you for your kind offer. As someone whose generosity and hospitality I have come to know is second to no one, let me say for now, that I will be posting something shortly on TT with regard to this thread and will wait to see, how both yourself and the members there feel about the proposal I will be making.

Thanks again Oogs for your generous offer and for those that haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet, let me say to them, that you are someone among the many members of Gay Thailand message boards, that it really has been my pleasure and privilege, to not only have had the chance to meet, but to have also had the opportunity to get to know a little bit too.

I hope that what I have said doesn't embarrass you in any way, if it does, I can always say that I was lying. :iconbiggrin:

Cheers Oogs,

George.

this really is too much and I protest " that old reprobate O'Booze"

reprobate : (on-line dictionary)
1. A morally unprincipled person.
2. One who is predestined to damnation.adj.
1. Morally unprincipled; shameless.
2. Rejected by God and without hope of salvation.

reasonable but enough of the "old" please ! I'm 39 and have consistently said as much for at least 30 years.

PS: can you believe Smiles forgot the creme de la creme Dame Sanitree Na Parkin ?. Early senility ?

Smiles
September 29th, 2008, 09:19
" ... PS: can you believe Smiles forgot the creme de la creme Dame Sanitree Na Parkin ?. Early senility ?
Now that you get my brain working a little harder, I also forgot the inimitable Ms Pearl of the Orient. But frankly, I have always thought you, Lunch, were her, or him. The same rabid old throwback Stalinist, yet with the saving-grace of possessing a delicious sense of humour (which no real Commie ever had).

Cheers ...

September 29th, 2008, 09:28
Lunch display lots of dialectical materialism but is hardly a Stalinist.You should be at lunch with him!

October 1st, 2008, 18:14
Nominations so far: Dodger, fattman, Hommie, Lunchtime and TOQ. Anymore for anymore. I will put a poll up some time over the weekend.

Cheers,

George.

October 3rd, 2008, 00:53
Nominations so far: Dodger, fattman, Hommie, Lunchtime and TOQ. Anymore for anymore.

A few that are no more out of place than the above spring to mind, to join the ranks of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, though quite which category they fall into I would hate to guess. Comments are based purely on their board persona, which may well have no connection with them in real life (yourself excepted of course, George)

Fattman. Intelligent, knowledgeable, reasonable, reasoned and a "nice guy". Sadly, nice guys seldom win anything.

Homintern (the Corporal). The master of the one-liner, at least in his own mind. Unfortunately when he mistakenly adds a second line (or more) it all falls apart.

Out to Lunch. Humorous? I missed it. He made an outstanding post recently on Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, which regrettably put all his other posts into perspective.

Chao Na. A man after my own heart. The real master of the one-liner: intelligent, sharp, informed, takes no prisoners and does not suffer fools. No wonder most of the board hate him.

Slimes. Past his sell by date. He is in his own time/space continuum, being "together" while actually being thousands of miles away and considering six months to be a year. His report on Hua Hin's gay bars mainly covered those he said he had never gone into, while his most informative post related to how to buy a TV in Hua Hin.

Cataonetopiccat. A genuine expert, as long as the post deals solely with which bars in Sunee permit smoking; away from his specialist subject he becomes incoherent and unintelligible.

TOQ. Sorry, no comment as I genuinely could not remember anything he had posted at all apart from an advertisement for his condo in Yensabai.

George. Has to be a contender, if only for quantity (though, personally, I actually find the quality often there too). Far too earthy, however, George - you would never pass 555's "old school" test.

Dodger. The only real contender. Honest, witty, tells it without restraint, can laugh at himself, can hold a genuine debate rather than just hurl abuse and (I hope!) does not appear to hold any grudges once he has accepted his opponents view but agreed to differ - pretty unique here.

topjohn5
October 3rd, 2008, 09:23
I have only been a year on the board so my thoughts have little weight. It is not however possible for me to pick just one as these three are all so very different but are all great posters and greater characters! I never miss a single post of.....
Dodger
Homi
Lunchtime

October 3rd, 2008, 12:26
George said "I haven't spoken to Rainwalker yet as to the possibility of him hosting his annual Christmas drinks and buffet get together for members of this board, but if he is unable to do so this year, (something which I believe will be the case from what I have heard) and this proposal of mine is treated in the positive way I would like to see it treated by the members here, I would be agreeable in offering to host this years annual get together myself, as well of course, in being very happy to pick up the tab for it."

Should the fates and my doctors allow, I expect to be back in the LOS in November but as to me continuing to host the Annual All Gay Forums Cocktail Party and Arm Wrestling Competition, I regretfully pass.

------------

Be prepared to shell out some 20,000 Baht for drinks and food for the crowd (last year's had a high of about 80 folks at one time and who knows how many traipsed through in the three hour extravaganza) at each gathering (even at a negotiated discount with the venue hosting the event) and be prepared to have posters question your motives, your ethics, and your sanity.

And be prepared to have a bunch of freeloaders (cheap Charlies, balloon chasers, call them what you will) who don't even post on the boards show up, order top shelf brands, and gorge on the food without even attempting to join the community that is gathering which is the reason the assembly is happening in the first place.
]

Rainwalker you chose to advertise on baht-stop and they will debate your motives for ever after having had their fill

I thought you were generous to a fault but it was your money

Loved the story of one freeloader trying to guzzle the last of the 101 pipers before closure

Wesley
October 3rd, 2008, 15:21
Smiles...how could you forget Mr. X?

I have not forgotten him and made sure he was gone before I posted here again.

giggsy
October 3rd, 2008, 19:51
what about a prize for the most determined ,it would be amazing if we got NARUK/VIAROSA/UKLOVER/RIKSHAW/WELSHRABBIT all in the same room.(how many more names can we come up with for this one poster)
my 3 nominations would be
FATTMAN for knowledge of thailand and all things thai explained in a way everyone can understand
LUNCHTIME for making me smile and laugh
GEORGE for being interesting- you just never know what he will be talking about next

October 3rd, 2008, 20:52
rainwalker - good to see you active again. I still owe you a nice dinner.

October 5th, 2008, 01:46
I have had great fun at these gatherings and have met a good number of people

But not, probably,"a number of good people".

October 5th, 2008, 18:59
George said "I haven't spoken to Rainwalker yet as to the possibility of him hosting his annual Christmas drinks and buffet get together for members of this board, but if he is unable to do so this year, (something which I believe will be the case from what I have heard) and this proposal of mine is treated in the positive way I would like to see it treated by the members here, I would be agreeable in offering to host this years annual get together myself, as well of course, in being very happy to pick up the tab for it."

Should the fates and my doctors allow, I expect to be back in the LOS in November but as to me continuing to host the Annual All Gay Forums Cocktail Party and Arm Wrestling Competition, I regretfully pass.

Four years is enough.

It is time to allow others to take up the pleasure of arranging and funding the gathering which up to now has taken place during the Pattaya Gay Festival - to be held this year at the end of November.

I have had great fun at these gatherings and have met a good number of people including two who are among my closest friends - Hi Hurbert, Hi A - but as another Canadian once said in a poem recited regularly on November 11th...

"To you from failing hands we throw the torch;
Be yours to hold it high..."

Be prepared to shell out some 20,000 Baht for drinks and food for the crowd (last year's had a high of about 80 folks at one time and who knows how many traipsed through in the three hour extravaganza) at each gathering (even at a negotiated discount with the venue hosting the event) and be prepared to have posters question your motives, your ethics, and your sanity.

And be prepared to have a bunch of freeloaders (cheap Charlies, balloon chasers, call them what you will) who don't even post on the boards show up, order top shelf brands, and gorge on the food without even attempting to join the community that is gathering which is the reason the assembly is happening in the first place.

George, I happily hand the torch to you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/rainwalker99/CIMG0323-1.jpg

With regard to the above post, first of all let me endorse Oogs's post in saying; it really is great to see a post from Rainwalker again. I would also like to add that it is even greater to hear the news that with the fates and your doctor willing, you will be back once again in the LOS next month. Whether or not I get to see you when you are back and for the record, I sincerely hope that I do, to say I am over the moon to hear this news, especially taking into account what was relayed to me by certain people after my arrival back to Thailand a few weeks ago from a business trip overseas, would be a gross understatement on my part. There are some other personal things I would like to say, but feel that would be best done by way of PM, so I will go with my instinct on that one and just deal with your post above from here on.

It is time to allow others to take up the pleasure of arranging and funding the gathering which up to now has taken place during the Pattaya Gay Festival - to be held this year at the end of November.

"To you from failing hands we throw the torch;
Be yours to hold it high..."

If I were to go ahead and accept the torch from your falling hands and I said my decision on this would be influenced in how this thread was treated, with respect to everyone that either supports the PGF or whom attends it, it will have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on any date I choose for the gathering should I decide to go ahead with it. I have nothing good or bad to say about the PGF, it's just that it's an organisation that I have never had anything whatsoever to do with, other than to personally back a couple of things that my good friend KQ organised in the past on their behalf.

I don't know if the Pattaya Gay Festival was held late last year, but I distinctly remember your gathering at the Corner Bar taking place in December. I have brought this up as: should I go ahead in hosting this years gathering, the date I will hold it, will definitely be one in December. The two reasons for this are; I have personal commitments to fulfill in November performing gigs out of town with my band and also, I would like to post on GTT as well as here and get an idea of the dates certain people will be here over Christmas that I know for certain will be in town, in order to give those people especially a chance to attend.

I consider the last part of what I have said immediately above to be of paramount importance, especially in view of these words of yours. And be prepared to have a bunch of freeloaders (cheap Charlies, balloon chasers, call them what you will) who don't even post on the boards show up, order top shelf brands, and gorge on the food without even attempting to join the community that is gathering which is the reason the assembly is happening in the first place.

You have given me a lot of food for thought with those words RW, I intend to give this gathering a lot of thought to try and ensure, that the chances of the above happening this year is cut to a minimum, if of course that is possible and I believe it is.

I am sure the food for thought you have given me, will also last me a lot longer than the food generously provided by you at last years gathering. There was ample food provided by you for everyone present to have been able to eat, but the way it was attacked by those looking so ravenous you would think that they hadn't eaten in weeks, as well as the way they gorged on seconds before many had even had firsts, meant many of us, myself for one and if I am not mistaken, you were one also, that never got a chance to sample any of the food whatsoever.

With regard to these words of yours. Be prepared to shell out some 20,000 Baht for drinks and food for the crowd (last year's had a high of about 80 folks at one time and who knows how many traipsed through in the three hour extravaganza) at each gathering (even at a negotiated discount with the venue hosting the event) and be prepared to have posters question your motives, your ethics, and your sanity. Let me say this.

Without wishing to appear in the slightest bit pretentious, the above cost you quote is of no importance, what is of importance to me, is that the gathering is a successful one and attended by forum members that contribute to the board by posting and we know who they are. I say this in at least who they are as far as their board names go. I have no problem with anyone wishing to retain their anonymity and respect their right to do so. To elaborate on that, I respect those who do not hide behind the anonymity of a board name for the sole reason to behave like "snipers' and attack other members by making false and malicious allegations against them, without any basis of evidence to support their claims.

Although there are some well known cantankerous old cunts on this forum, some of them even fat and bald headed cantankerous old cunts, (evening Colonel :salute: trust you are having a good weekend sir) I believe the real malicious spiteful and nasty old queens who are guilty of making those type of posts I talk of above, to be very much in an extreme minority on this forum.

I don't know why other posters should have questioned your motives or ethics in the past for organising these gatherings. I have never been aware of any other reason than your generosity for having held them. Jealous cunts will always have negative things to say about those that are in the limelight, even if the reason for them being so is a positive one, I guess that is just a fact of life among the ex-pat community we all have to accept and live with. That applies even more so to those like you and I RW, whom have to live with our celebrity status. ;)

Although with the above said, perhaps there could have been a hint of insanity on your part for holding the past four gatherings. If I go ahead with this years gathering, as you well know Rainwalker, people will be able to claim there is more than just a hint of insanity on my part, as most people in Pattaya, even though they do not know me, although many claim they do, think I am totally wacko. Strange that you know, as I am the most normal person that I know in Pattaya and by a long fucking chalk as well. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/whistling.gif

Oh dearie dearie me, I have just scrolled up and noticed I have once again succeeded in creating another mini novel. Oh well, not to worry, those who want to read what I have said would have got this far and those that didn't, wouldn't have.

Before closing, I hope that if this gathering comes off in December, as you Rainwalker have been the host for the past four years, you will do me the great privilege of being my guest of honour. I would also in closing having witnessed some great posts of yours since becoming a member here, like to add your name to the list of nominations for the SGT member of the year, for which I will be setting up a poll when I get back home this evening.

I haven't had much of a chance to post much this week, (Ain't you all glad) as I have only just returned from a very pleasant 4 days in Hua Hin in the companies of, Khun Smiles, Khun Bob and Khun Suphot which I enjoyed tremendously. Thanks a lot guys for a great time and thanks for the trip to the restaurant you spoke of Smiles. The Pad Thai was wicked and every bit as good as you said it was. Safe trip up to the boss in CM next week Bob as well as your one over to VN.

Sawatdi Khrap Guys and Kaup Khun Khrap Mak Mak. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/nohotlinkingpls.gif

George.

Beachlover
October 5th, 2008, 19:35
Goodness me... you guys meet?

I couldn't imagine such a gathering.

Why does the food and drink have to be free (ie. paid for by one person/business)?

October 5th, 2008, 19:58

Why does the food and drink have to be free (ie. paid for by one person/business)?

Hi Beachlover, I am somewhat surprised at what appears to be quite some shock on your part caused by my meeting up with the people mentioned in my post above. Would love to hear either in a post or by pm, as to why this is.

With regard to your other comment above when you said: Why does the food and drink have to be free (ie. paid for by one person/business)? I guess it doesn't and this very point was brought up by both Smiles and Bob over the weekend. I can't remember which one of the two it was, but one of them suggested that perhaps the first drink could be paid for and then after that, everyone pays for their own drinks.

As I said in my post above, no decision made yet, as a result of RW's post, I have a lot to think about. Thanks for your post anyway Beachlover and I look forward to getting a reply to my question when it is convenient for you to do so, as long as you are happy to give one that is.

Choc Dee,

George.

Beachlover
October 5th, 2008, 20:46
Hi Beachlover, I am somewhat surprised at what appears to be quite some shock on your part caused by my meeting up with the people mentioned in my post above. Would love to hear either in a post or by pm, as to why this is.

With regard to your other comment above when you said: Why does the food and drink have to be free (ie. paid for by one person/business)? I guess it doesn't and this very point was brought up by both Smiles and Bob over the weekend. I can't remember which one of the two it was, but one of them suggested that perhaps the first drink could be paid for and then after that, everyone pays for their own drinks.

As I said in my post above, no decision made yet, as a result of RW's post, I have a lot to think about. Thanks for your post anyway Beachlover and I look forward to getting a reply to my question when it is convenient for you to do so, as long as you are happy to give one that is.

Choc Dee,

George.

Hey George... well, I'm not surprised, as I have seen mentions of board members meeting each other. But I guess the idea of a big gathering with members of this board is slightly surprising. Haha... it would certainly be an interesting meet. I can't imagine the conversations.

I guess I will be blamed and shot for there not being free food/drinks for all at the next gathering now!

Wesley
October 5th, 2008, 21:21

Choc Dee,

George.

If this were the case I would more likely be willing to host a party for my birthday while there, it would be nice to meet some guys, have a few drinks and eat a bit of Monty's delights. If I were to put a couple of hundred dollars into food and a first drink I would love to have drinks with the good people of the forum. I would assume that may be the reason bad Boy Billy ran out on the bill, maybe it was more than he could pay for or wanted to pay for. I would love to haave a get togethger, buy the first drink and the food. on the 22nd of October

Wes

Wesley
October 5th, 2008, 21:29
I persoanlly miss the postings of Kevin and thought he was rich in both Humor and wit. I would certainly put him in the list , I guess it will be some time before he can actually be there to accept.

giggsy
October 5th, 2008, 21:34
. And be prepared to have a bunch of freeloaders (cheap Charlies, balloon chasers, call them what you will) who don't even post on the boards show up, order top shelf brands, and gorge on the food without even attempting to join the community that is gathering which is the reason the assembly is happening in the first place. .................

what about getting a ticket to the event. SGT has the e mail addresses and could e mail every member with a ticket that could be down loaded.a donation could be made to any member turning up with the ticket and could be put towards the event or the running of SGT or even donated to a thai charity.anyone who turns up without a ticket can pay for there own food and drink.

ceejay
October 5th, 2008, 22:41
what about getting a ticket to the event. SGT has the e mail addresses and could e mail every member with a ticket that could be down loaded.a donation could be made to any member turning up with the ticket and could be put towards the event or the running of SGT or even donated to a thai charity.anyone who turns up without a ticket can pay for there own food and drink.

Good thinking Giggsy. A door fee of say 500 baht to be donated to Thais4Life would keep out the freeloaders (the amount is actually unimportant - freeloaders are psychologically unable to bring themselves to part with their money).

I don't see why people shouldn't pay for their own drinks either - I think I can honestly say that wouldn't matter to me one way or the other.

Sadly, if the event takes place this year I will miss it. I shall be in Thailand the first week in November (plus one extra day on the 21st) but I would love to be there.

October 9th, 2008, 00:19
George,

While I applaud your proposal, in principle, I can't help hearing a few warning bells ringing - some alarmingly loudly.

"... a high of about 80 folks at one time " plus "who knows how many". Where the hell from? There have never been more than 50 to 60 "regular" posters on this board in total. As some new faces appear, so old ones go. I am not talking about quantity or quality of posts, or length of membership, just "regular" posting. Do a quick count, or look at the numbers on the more popular polls (and even those probably include a "duplicate" or two). Whether one believes everything some people post or not, the board members are clearly spread around the globe - UK, USA, Europe, the Middle and Far East, etc. Additionally, even some of those posting here who live in Thailand never leave Bangkok for Pattaya and vice-versa.

Of the 50 or 60 regular posters I would guess (and it is only a guess) no more than half, at the most, are likely to be in Thailand at any one time and (again a guess) no more than half of those are likely to be in Pattaya. You are probably, therefore, looking at an attendance of around a dozen genuine, regular posters from here at the most.

I had always thought the "balloon chasers" of Pattaya were a myth, as I simply could not bring myself to believe that so many would be so hard up (financially or emotionally), or so boorish as to gate-crash a party, whether held in a public bar or not. I was wrong. Totally wrong.

I remember reading a post by Mind the Gap two or three years ago after he attended one of Rainwalker's get-togethers in Pattaya: as I recall he wrote that during the time he was there (45 minutes, mid-evening) there were three "regular" board members present, including Rainwalker and himself (the third person was Monty). The remaining 20 or so party-goers at the time admitted no more than "occasionally reading" the board, never posting. While it is quite possible that BG, the Corporal, et al, were there incognito, weighing up the opposition, it is at least as likely that none of them had ever taken any prior interest in the board at all. As for retaining anonymity, even as one of those who takes this aspect relatively seriously, this is hardly likely to be an open meeting of the Special Forces Club; I, certainly, would see no reason not to introduce myself to my host, at least, if I were to attend (and George, I will make a point of doing so before then if we meet - preferably not after you have "hung one on in Sunee", or elsewhere!).

I also recall attending Mike's birthday party at La Cage a couple of years ago and being asked more than once "whose party is it?", followed by "who's Mike?" - and as those concerned evidently thought the free food and drink was worth putting up with "Name that Tune", some of the balloon chasers were clearly very hard up indeed and prepared to endure almost anything!.

George, not only can I see no obligation on the organiser of a forum get-together to lay on free food and drink, but I can see every reason for him not only not to do so, but to actively publicise this both here and at the bar - a large banner reading "Thai Gay Forums - no free booze" would solve the problem! That is not to say that it would not be appreciated if you were to buy a drink (or even two) for those making themselves (and their persona!) known to you, which they may even reciprocate; in addition a limited finger buffet, say every hour, would be nice, as would the occasional bit of entertainment, but no more.

This has nothing to do with the costs, or with either being seen to be or being economical or extravagant,- it is purely intended to ensure that you achieve the aim of having an enjoyable forum get-together, not an open house for all and sundry. It all depends on what you want.

October 9th, 2008, 17:42
George,

While I applaud your proposal, in principle, I can't help hearing a few warning bells ringing - some alarmingly loudly.

"... a high of about 80 folks at one time " plus "who knows how many". Where the hell from? There have never been more than 50 to 60 "regular" posters on this board in total. As some new faces appear, so old ones go. I am not talking about quantity or quality of posts, or length of membership, just "regular" posting. Do a quick count, or look at the numbers on the more popular polls (and even those probably include a "duplicate" or two). Whether one believes everything some people post or not, the board members are clearly spread around the globe - UK, USA, Europe, the Middle and Far East, etc. Additionally, even some of those posting here who live in Thailand never leave Bangkok for Pattaya and vice-versa.

Of the 50 or 60 regular posters I would guess (and it is only a guess) no more than half, at the most, are likely to be in Thailand at any one time and (again a guess) no more than half of those are likely to be in Pattaya. You are probably, therefore, looking at an attendance of around a dozen genuine, regular posters from here at the most.

I had always thought the "balloon chasers" of Pattaya were a myth, as I simply could not bring myself to believe that so many would be so hard up (financially or emotionally), or so boorish as to gate-crash a party, whether held in a public bar or not. I was wrong. Totally wrong.

I remember reading a post by Mind the Gap two or three years ago after he attended one of Rainwalker's get-togethers in Pattaya: as I recall he wrote that during the time he was there (45 minutes, mid-evening) there were three "regular" board members present, including Rainwalker and himself (the third person was Monty). The remaining 20 or so party-goers at the time admitted no more than "occasionally reading" the board, never posting. While it is quite possible that BG, the Corporal, et al, were there incognito, weighing up the opposition, it is at least as likely that none of them had ever taken any prior interest in the board at all. As for retaining anonymity, even as one of those who takes this aspect relatively seriously, this is hardly likely to be an open meeting of the Special Forces Club; I, certainly, would see no reason not to introduce myself to my host, at least, if I were to attend (and George, I will make a point of doing so before then if we meet - preferably not after you have "hung one on in Sunee", or elsewhere!).

I also recall attending Mike's birthday party at La Cage a couple of years ago and being asked more than once "whose party is it?", followed by "who's Mike?" - and as those concerned evidently thought the free food and drink was worth putting up with "Name that Tune", some of the balloon chasers were clearly very hard up indeed and prepared to endure almost anything!.

George, not only can I see no obligation on the organiser of a forum get-together to lay on free food and drink, but I can see every reason for him not only not to do so, but to actively publicise this both here and at the bar - a large banner reading "Thai Gay Forums - no free booze" would solve the problem! That is not to say that it would not be appreciated if you were to buy a drink (or even two) for those making themselves (and their persona!) known to you, which they may even reciprocate; in addition a limited finger buffet, say every hour, would be nice, as would the occasional bit of entertainment, but no more.

This has nothing to do with the costs, or with either being seen to be or being economical or extravagant,- it is purely intended to ensure that you achieve the aim of having an enjoyable forum get-together, not an open house for all and sundry. It all depends on what you want.

Hi GF, My appreciation and thanks to you for your very detailed post above, of which I can assure you, all makes perfect and logical sense to me. My thanks also to Beachlover, giggsy and ceejay for your posts also. I would like to say that I have received several private communications on this subject also. My thanks to Rainwalker for initially bringing up the subject of balloon chasers and also, for his generosity in paying for the gatherings of the previous four years.

I can say that all of you have given me a lot of food for thought and although I would still like to go ahead with this years gathering, I intend posting in the near future of how I would like to do things a little differently, than which they have been done in the past. I will wait until the current poll for Mr Sawatdi Gay Thailand 2008 closes and will then, make a post on the subject of this years proposed gathering.

My thanks once again to the above posters and also the members that have communicated with me privately.

Cheers,

George.

Beachlover
October 9th, 2008, 18:50
George... you are the world's most polite forum member.

lol I just noticed all the faces in that photo are blurred out.... looks soooo dodgy lol.

Hey, how come no Thai boys there?

(This is the perfect setup for Chao Na... "here kitty kitty kitty")

paulg
October 9th, 2008, 19:01
What a pity this was not posted to the old men's home at baht stop

Despite you offering to pay they would be demanding transparancy, are you really paying the full amount, are you getting a discount whilst at the same time complaining the quality of scotch was not up to the expectations.

My training as a young man was to never go to a party without taking more than you expect to drink yourself. I have no respect for the balloon chasers

Brad the Impala
October 10th, 2008, 01:33

I can say that all of you have given me a lot of food for thought and although I would still like to go ahead with this years gathering, I intend posting in the near future of how I would like to do things a little differently, than which they have been done in the past. I will wait until the current poll for Mr Sawatdi Gay Thailand 2008 closes and will then, make a post on the subject of this years proposed gathering.

Cheers,

George.

Reconsidering your original offer? What a surprise!

October 10th, 2008, 02:15
Reconsidering your original offer? What a surprise!

Hardly re-considering:

I haven't spoken to Rainwalker yet тАж. But if he is unable to do so this year, ... and this proposal of mine is treated in the positive way I would like to see it treated by the members here, I would be agreeable in offering to host this years annual get together myself ....

тАж.. my decision on this would be influenced in how this thread was treated,

тАж.. no decision made yet, as a result of RW's post, I have a lot to think about.

Sounds like nothing has changed or is being re-considered.

My main worry is that the threatened appearance of George's guest performer may not only ensure that the balloon chasers are frightened off, but that all others are too ("we may be able to persuade George Stanley to come along and sing a few numbers.")

giggsy
October 10th, 2008, 03:01
[

:argue: Reconsidering your original offer? What a surprise!

Brad ,might i suggest you carry on this childish quarrel that you are having with George in PM as it is getting very boring to the rest of us :argue:

Brad the Impala
October 10th, 2008, 03:32
[

Brad ,might i suggest you carry on this childish quarrel that you are having with George in PM as it is getting very boring to the rest of us :argue:

Sorry to bore you, and that is "you" not "us" that you are presumably speaking for, or did you gather a committee before making your post. I will however continue to respond in this forum when vainglorius and unfulfilled posts are made in this forum.

I notice that you do not appear, like George and Gone Fisting, to have actually contributed yet to the running costs of this Forum. Correct me if I am wrong ok?

giggsy
October 10th, 2008, 04:11
good idea. next time i'm down at the social security office i will ask for a raise to cover the donation.unless of course you would like to.... no on second thoughts i just remembered what topjohn5 said............"He had very resonable concerns about people watching this board to commit various crimes on posters...mostly financial"

MiniMee
October 10th, 2008, 04:32
[

I think it├втВмтДвs hilarious. Brad, you go gurl!

lonelywombat
October 10th, 2008, 05:56
Its your money and you can spend it how you want, but I agree it makes sense to know who are your guests

A donation to a charity sounds a good start, but if you want people from this forum to attend, get them to
request an invite by PM, have a door list and get them to wear a name tag . There are many like TOQ and Oogie who are known to many who would not object to a name tag ,and there are others who make a lot of noise in this forum who would not admit to be their posting name

If your aim is to hold a function for SWD forum members then you do not want any Tom Dick or Harry free loaders and balloon chasers, hogging the free food and drinks I remember Rainwalkers first and the thread about whether Hedda attended. Seemed she made it to Montys and got lost. Still was critical from memory.

Maybe some one can prove me wrong with a link to that old thread

October 10th, 2008, 23:57
if you want people from this forum to attend.... get them to wear a name tag . There are many like TOQ and Oogie who are known to many who would not object to a name tag ,and there are others who make a lot of noise in this forum who would not admit to be their posting name

If your aim is to hold a function for SWD forum members then you do not want any Tom Dick or Harry free loaders and balloon chasers

You appear to be inferring that those who are not "known to many" and would "object to a name tag" are "freeloaders and balloon chasers"; more to the point, you apparently believe that the obligatory wearing of name tags will encourage people to attend. I disagree strongly.

You are ignoring one of the basic rules of the board: IDENTIFYING MEMBERS BY THEIR REAL NAMES ... (etc etc.) IS NOT ALLOWED (board capitals, not mine).

You also ignored or missed a post I made on "Anonymity" in the Posting Guidelines and Discussion Forum, in June, where I gave my reasons for posting anonymously, at considerably more length than is appropriate here - the post commenced "Recently there have been a number of calls for me to stop posting anonymously and demands for me to make my identity public - rather hypocritically these have been made by those themselves posting anonymously." You were one of those hypocrites.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in knowing who you are; I take your posts at face value, as I do all others. I ensure that any posts I make, as far as possible, are substantiated and able to stand on their own merits; where they are purely my opinion, when appropriate I will explain on what that opinion is based (experience, training, qualification, research, etc).

I have already explained that I would have no hesitation in making my persona known to George, as the host, if I attend his function (as I hope to do), as I would to the host of any similar function I attended. I see no obligation whatsoever to do so to you, or to anyone else attending.

October 11th, 2008, 04:56
Its your money and you can spend it how you want, but I agree it makes sense to know who are your guestsI don't know who any of the people are on this Forum apart from Chao Na and one other guy who posts infrequently (oh, sorry, and all those other people who I registered in the last month and then forgot to get to vote for me in the poll :bounce: ) but I certainly feel (in the old concept of "pen friend" - remember them?) that there are some people on this Board who are friends, others are neighbours (with whom I have feuds), and one or two (hullo, George) are the bores I meet at the local pub and hope like hell aren't at any parties I attend. Others are just the familiar faces of the passing throng in the street. But back to lonelywombat's point - how can any of us "know" others on this Board prior to meeting them in the flesh (and Lunchtime O'Booze's flesh is pretty damn considerable) so "to know who your guests are" prior to the party seems rather a tall order

lonelywombat
October 11th, 2008, 05:35
[quote=lonelywombat]if you want people from this forum to attend.... get them to wear a name tag . There are many like TOQ and Oogie who are known to many who would not object to a name tag ,and there are others who make a lot of noise in this forum who would not admit to be their posting name

If your aim is to hold a function for SWD forum members then you do not want any Tom Dick or Harry free loaders and balloon chasers

You appear to be inferring that those who are not "known to many" and would "object to a name tag" are "freeloaders and balloon chasers"; more to the point, you apparently believe that the obligatory wearing of name tags will encourage people to attend. I disagree strongly.

You are ignoring one of the basic rules of the board: IDENTIFYING MEMBERS BY THEIR REAL NAMES ... (etc etc.) IS NOT ALLOWED (board capitals, not mine).

I have already explained that I would have no hesitation in making my persona known to George, as the host, if I attend his function (as I hope to do), as I would to the host of any similar function I attended. I see no obligation whatsoever to do so to you, or to anyone else attending.

I dont think your posting is totally honest as you deleted an important point in my post Here is the unedited para. The part that you deleted is highlighted, again as in the original post just 2 above this

[quote:lonelywombat]A donation to a charity sounds a good start, but if you want people from this forum to attend,
get them to request an invite by PM, have a door list and get them to wear a name tag . There are many like TOQ and Oogie who are known to many who would not object to a name tag ,and there are others who make a lot of noise in this forum who would not admit to be their posting name [quote/]

I can understand your desire for no one knowing who you are, I doubt if anyone would be interested ,my suggestion for requesting an invitation by PM was to enable the host to control who was drinking at his expense. It was being positive not negative, and if you quote me again dont be selective in quoting only part of my post . I accept your point about some members not wanting to wear a name tag with their board ID not their real name

October 11th, 2008, 23:59
I dont think your posting is totally honest as you deleted an important point in my post ...and if you quote me again dont be selective in quoting only part of my post

I was not being selective or dishonest: as your post preceded mine I assumed that anyone reading mine would also have read yours and saw no point in repeating those points of yours which I had no disagreement with (as I have done in this post). I have no disagreement with the "invite by PM", as already proposed by Giggsy and supported by ceejay, which is why I made no objection to it and which I agree may encourage "people from this forum to attend". What I objected to was the obligatory wearing of name tags, which I am glad to see you no longer advocate; I also disagree with the "door list", for similar reasons - unless you envisage George standing at the door himself all night.

I can understand your desire for no one knowing who you are, I doubt if anyone would be interested ...

I am glad you can ("understand", etc), however that makes your demands that I reveal my identity or stop posting here, made on more than one occasion over the last few months, all the more difficult for me to understand.

lonelywombat
October 12th, 2008, 09:11
I have no disagreement with the "invite by PM", as already proposed by Giggsy and supported by ceejay, which is why I made no objection to it and which I agree may encourage "people from this forum to attend". What I objected to was the obligatory wearing of name tags, which I am glad to see you no longer advocate; I also disagree with the "door list", for similar reasons - unless you envisage George standing at the door himself all night.

I can understand your desire for no one knowing who you are, I doubt if anyone would be interested ...

We are agreed that George can control who is invited by asking for a PM. Suppose that I did that but wanted to hide my real name and my posting name , I could offer a nom de plume say white deck chairs, for the Thai boy to check my invite
I do not plan to return in the near future but if I did and was accepted to attend, I would have no objection to paying my way

Gonefishing suggestion of some free finger food and maybe a free first drink token[ not previously mentioned] is a good start

Some weeks back catawampuscat posted about a birthday dinner and gifts for an expat. This thread might throw up a good working model for more functions than just this one Wesley might also take note of the invitation to and acceptance of attendees to his planned function at Montys, and so avoid anon balloon chasers

October 12th, 2008, 09:17
I do not plan to return in the near future ...I thought you told us you arrive every September. You're leaving already?