PDA

View Full Version : Thai airways

thanatorn-old
September 24th, 2008, 21:07
I have just spent a fortune paying for my flight ticket to LOS in December, through an ATOL agency here in the UK, I have also been informed there is airline failure insurance in the price.

However I have been informed by another travel agent that they will no longer sell Thai airway tickets due to their financial position - having "made 172million loss in the last quarter."

So do I panic or not???

Any news or views about Thai airways stability from members in the know?

September 24th, 2008, 21:57
I have just spent a fortune paying for my flight ticket to LOS in December, through an ATOL agency here in the UK, I have also been informed there is airline failure insurance in the price.

However I have been informed by another travel agent that they will no longer sell Thai airway tickets due to their financial position - having "made 172million loss in the last quarter."

So do I panic or not???

Any news or views about Thai airways stability from members in the know?

Why, if there is failure insurance included would you even consider panicking?

Thai airways would never be permitted to fail financially, the most likely reason for an agent not selling Thai Airways ticket is that they have cut the commission paid back to the bone.

thanatorn-old
September 24th, 2008, 22:22
The reason for concern is the failure of airline's here in the UK/Europe - XL recently - Alitalia is on the danger list and there are numerous others in financial trouble.

Whilst there is airline failure insurance incuded, I have this inherent mistrust of insurances paying out on anything if they can help it. I just am hoping to avoid hassle and a loss of a couple of grand.

Anyway I like to throw my toys around the room at the slightest bit of possible ill fortune, it is just a part of my drama queen persona.

But thanks for general reassurances anyway

September 24th, 2008, 22:47
If you pay for your ticket with a credit card, in case the airline goes down, you may request a charge-back due to non delivery of service paid for. This is a personal experience and I have received a refund of the entire ticket amount. Not sure if bank you are with makes the difference but I find HSBC Visa more efficient and helpful in recovering the funds than my friend's bank. Having said that, I highly doubt Thai Airways would ever go out of business. They charge first world airfare but pay third world wages to their flight attendants. Besides, the elite class of super mega rich Thai business people -- including the owners of Thai Airways -- will not let their home carriers down for whatever reasons. Enjoy your stay in Thailand.

Shuee
September 24th, 2008, 23:09
who ever you fligh with, i would be prepared for a whopping increase in fare's coming our way soon no doubt

September 25th, 2008, 01:13
As stated above, if you pay by credit card, you are covered. Airline failure insurance is another way that it is covered, and if the Travel Agent is ATOL registered, then it is covered by ATOL.

However, take on board, if you pay by American Express Charge Card, it is not covered by the Consumer Credit Act in the UK, therefore, AX will not make any refund. However, American Express do have credit cards which ARE covered by the Consumer Credit Act.

Similarly, and I haven't checked it out yet but CIRRUS I bet have restrictions, I will check.