PDA

View Full Version : Thai royal cremation set for six days in November

llz
September 24th, 2008, 00:43
The funeral of the late princess Kalayani will take place between November 14th and 19th at Sanam Luang Park in Bangkok ; the first four days of the ceremony are associated with the cremation with six grand processions around Sanam Luang.
Entertainment venues throughout the country have been requested to stop their programs, or reduce them in line with the somber occasion.

More at Thai Royal cremation details (http://photojourn.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/thai-royal-cremation-set-for-six-days-in-november/)

September 24th, 2008, 05:03
And I will be in BKK 15 - 20th November.
Just my luck.

September 24th, 2008, 08:07
Im sure I'll get a drink round Sunee Plaza

September 24th, 2008, 08:17
Just my luck.

Quite! You get to be in Thailand for an historic occasion, and to pay your final respects to Her Highness.

fedssocr
September 24th, 2008, 08:52
seriously. this will be quite an occasion even though it will be somber. These things don't happen very often. I will be on this year's trip to SE Asia, but during that particular time I will be in Laos so I will miss it. I wish I were in BKK to witness it.

September 24th, 2008, 09:25
seriously. this will be quite an occasion even though it will be somber. These things don't happen very often. I will be on this year's trip to SE Asia, but during that particular time I will be in Laos so I will miss it. I wish I were in BKK to witness it.Don't worry, there'll be a larger and much more important one in the next few years

September 24th, 2008, 11:18
Terrible news Homi, surely your time hasn't come yet :bounce:I stand corrected - there'll be at least one ...

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 24th, 2008, 14:39
Just my luck.

Quite! You get to be in Thailand for an historic occasion, and to pay your final respects to Her Highness.

This is such a rare event it should be experienced...don't worry..you won't be expected to throw yourself on the pyre.

September 24th, 2008, 15:34
[quote=ahobni]And I will be in BKK 15 - 20th November. Just my luck.Quite! You get to be in Thailand for an historic occasion, and to pay your final respects to Her Highness. This is such a rare event it should be experienced...don't worry..you won't be expected to throw yourself on the pyre.[/quote:3gdhvvq6]I'm pleased to see Chao Na is finally developing a sense of irony

September 24th, 2008, 17:32
"Thai royal cremation set for six days in November"

If that title holds true literally, I hope they've got a lot of firewood cut ready for the occasion!

Maybe when the 'BIG one' occurs they will cut down a few forests and turn Southern Thailand into a desert ?

TrongpaiExpat
September 24th, 2008, 19:03
I'll be out of town on that date but not sure I would want to go. Getting there is not a big problem but what I found out the hard way is getting out of Sanam Luang is not so easy.

I went to the King Birthday event and could not even get close to seeing much. It was wall to wall people, hot and very confined. When it was over, we were crowded and crushed in directions that I did not want to go. Many avenues of escape turned out to be dead ends. We finally made it to a bus, any bus to anywhere, but the number of people on this bus was so confining every time I took a breath out, I was loosing space. It took hours to finally get out.

September 24th, 2008, 19:08
I went to the King Birthday event and could not even get close to seeing much. It was wall to wall people, hot and very confined. When it was over, we were crowded and crushed in directions that I did not want to go. Many avenues of escape turned out to be dead ends. We finally made it to a bus, any bus to anywhere, but the number of people on this bus was so confining every time I took a breath out, I was loosing space. It took hours to finally get out.And this surprised you? How long have you been living here?

andrewcraig
September 24th, 2008, 19:12
It has always been my ambition to attend the Royal Barges procession down the river. Does the cremation cancel this, this year

Can someone provide an url for more info, if not.

Thanks in advance

TrongpaiExpat
September 24th, 2008, 20:43
I went to the King Birthday event and could not even get close to seeing much. It was wall to wall people, hot and very confined. When it was over, we were crowded and crushed in directions that I did not want to go. Many avenues of escape turned out to be dead ends. We finally made it to a bus, any bus to anywhere, but the number of people on this bus was so confining every time I took a breath out, I was loosing space. It took hours to finally get out.And this surprised you? How long have you been living here?

Living full time 3 years, visiting since 1984. With your 20 years 'in country' and Boygeenus' 20 years you think one of you guys would have guided me along with some sound advise.

So, you advise is to say clear of this funeral?

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 25th, 2008, 00:08
"Thai royal cremation set for six days in November"

If that title holds true literally, I hope they've got a lot of firewood cut ready for the occasion!

Maybe when the 'BIG one' occurs they will cut down a few forests and turn Southern Thailand into a desert ?

My God have you actually been to one of these events?

They are terrifying. I went to the funeral pyre of a friend who died in Bali. God only knows what I expected so I fortified myself with several drinks first ( as my friend would have liked).

It was terrifying..flames leapt out of his mouth and every oriffice..I was certain he was after me ! And I swear it wasn't the DT's !

Everyone should experience it at least once..preferably with the body in a shroud ! :evil2:

Of course the body fats make the flames intense and it's over pretty quickly (while the bars are still open) and more important-it's Climate Friendly !

Needless to say-you are all invited to mine when the time comes and as per usual, drinks are on Homintern but please , someone poke me with a stick and make sure I'm actually dead and not just resting.

fedssocr
September 25th, 2008, 06:04
not to be too morbid, but she's been dead for an awfully long time already. How are they preserving her body so that there's anything left to cremate?

September 25th, 2008, 16:50
I'll be out of town on that date but not sure I would want to go. Getting there is not a big problem but what I found out the hard way is getting out of Sanam Luang is not so easy.

I went to the King Birthday event and could not even get close to seeing much. It was wall to wall people, hot and very confined. When it was over, we were crowded and crushed in directions that I did not want to go. Many avenues of escape turned out to be dead ends. We finally made it to a bus, any bus to anywhere, but the number of people on this bus was so confining every time I took a breath out, I was loosing space. It took hours to finally get out.

Thanks for the heads up Trongpai.
Crowds and getting crushed are not high on my list of things I enjoy and
since it sounds like the first time you experienced one of these events, of course you
were surprised or you wouldn't have gone. I appreciate when posters take the time
to advise us and report in. :salute:

TrongpaiExpat
September 26th, 2008, 14:26

Thanks for the heads up Trongpai.
Crowds and getting crushed are not high on my list of things I enjoy and
since it sounds like the first time you experienced one of these events, of course you
were surprised or you wouldn't have gone. I appreciate when posters take the time
to advise us and report in. :salute:

Actually, I would go if I had not planed a trip out of Bangkok on that date. Just be prepared for huge numbers of people in a confined space and reside yourself to not getting out easy or fast. The area is just not designed for the number of people that show up. Many roads get blocked for the VIP's and some streets with huge numbers walking trying to exit hit a dead end and and can't turn around.

September 28th, 2008, 12:56
It has always been my ambition to attend the Royal Barges procession down the river. Does the cremation cancel this, this year

Can someone provide an url for more info, if not.

Thanks in advance

It is not a yearly event.

October 14th, 2008, 04:25
She passed away in early Jan.........How is there anything left to cremate?

October 14th, 2008, 04:27
She passed away in early Jan.........How is there anything left to cremate?Go and research how important bodies are treated in Thailand ... but essentially it's placed in an urn and the body fats and other liquids are allowed to leave the body. The remaining very dry cadaver is then cremated. Ordinary Thais are cremated almost immediately (as in India)