PDA

View Full Version : Help on travels to Kuala Lumpur

January 3rd, 2006, 06:37
Hello all....am new to this board and look forward to all the collective sage wisdom of its members.

The name....Fish Sauce Daddy....comes from my Thai bf. After asking what "sugar daddy" meant, I explained. Then I asked him what he would call me.....he shot back "Fish Sauce Daddy" :P

Bf and I will be in Thailand this spring and are doing a side trip to Kuala Lumpur. Does bf need a visa (he carries Thai passport)? Any suggestions of accommodations? Sights to be sure to see? Any info would be much appreciated.

January 3rd, 2006, 09:23
No visa required for your Thai BF and probably none for you either - depends where you're from. Many interesting things to see in KL. I recommend the Museum of Islam and the walk in aviary, both close together. There are also some very attractive gardens nearby. A day trip to Melacca is also worth the effort.

Hotels are dearer than in Thailand (about +50%). Its probably best to book online. I use accomline.com but there are many others.

Finally, KL international Airport is a very long way from KL city centre. Unless you're rich its best to get the airport bus. A big bus takes you to a bus terminal just outside the city, then you get a minibus direct to your hotel. Price very reasonable.

January 3rd, 2006, 09:46
I suggest you try the Utopia site http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipsmala.htm for tips on Malaysia - it's a fascinating place (especially if you have a sense of humour - somewhat like Thailand in the regard) but don't bother reading the local newspapers for anything other than a very jaundiced view of national and sometimes international life. In my day the New Straits Times was known in the ex-pat community as Pravda

And I thought the rail link was now open to the airport? Unlike many other Asian countries, airport taxis are regulated in KL and only one or two companies can pick up passengers so fares are uncompetitive. My favourite site for hotels in Asia is Asia Travel - http://www.asiatravel.com/ - I use them all the time

One word of warning - if like me you enjoy lashings of bacon and eggs, you will be disappointed on ordering bacon anywhere other than a Chinese restaurant. Since Malaysia is an "officially" Moslem country, what is described as "bacon" generally means "beef bacon", just as "ham" means "turkey ham", and dishes such as fettucine carbonara (bacon & egg pasta) comes with beef bacon - vile in the extreme. The price of chicken meat is regulated, so it's often "chicken with everything". I never quite got used to chicken pizza, however. (Anyone looking for an idea for a business venture in KL should consider something like "Real English Breakfast with real bacon and eggs" - there's money to be made I'm sure. It's just that you won't get many cute Malay boys working there or as patrons)

Unless you're travelling on an Israeli passport, you and your boyfriend should be OK. I believe Malaysia still refuses to recognise the State of Israel or accept its passports as valid travel documents

haikudude
January 3rd, 2006, 11:44
[quote]One word of warning - if like me you enjoy lashings of bacon and eggs, you will be disappointed on ordering bacon anywhere other than a Chinese restaurant. Since Malaysia is an "officially" Moslem country

Yes, I was just in Penang and Bacon, or Pork was nowhere to be found. Liquor however was prevalent, which confused me as I thought тАЬOfficial Muslim CountriesтАЭ were dry. The liquor price was outrages too, more then in the States. Extra taxes on liquor IтАЩm told. So why donтАЩt they just impose a hefty tax on pork?

January 3rd, 2006, 11:51
Liquor however was prevalent, which confused me as I thought тАЬOfficial Muslim CountriesтАЭ were dry. The liquor price was outrages too, more then in the States. Extra taxes on liquor IтАЩm told. So why donтАЩt they just impose a hefty tax on pork?
It's confusing when you're in Blue Boy in the semi-gloom, see a boy drinking beer and assume "Aha! Chinese" only to find when you take him home that "my cock is Moslem" (as a go-go boy in Bangkok once explained to me). As for a tax on pork - race riots! The Chinese wouldn't stand for it. The price of pork and beef is unregulated

January 3rd, 2006, 15:49
It's quite a while since I was last in KL so Homintern may well be right about the rail link. If anyone knows for sure, I'd be grateful for the info as well as I will be visiting again quite soon. One disadvantage with the rail link would be the need to get a taxi to your hotel at the other end, but if the rail link cuts the journey time significantly that might be woth it - provided you didn't have to wait ages for a taxi as you sometimes do at hualumpong in Bangkok.

January 3rd, 2006, 17:15
Homintern may well be right about the rail link. If anyone knows for sure, I'd be grateful for the info
You only had to Google "KLIA" - http://www.klia.com.my/index.php?ch=62& ... &tpt_id=13 (http://www.klia.com.my/index.php?ch=62&pg=138&ac=2682&tpt_id=13)

January 3rd, 2006, 19:45
The rail link is superb. Fast (30 mins), cheap, relaxing, ultra-modern and very comfortable. Ive used it several times and also tried taxi. Rail link wins hands down IMHO!
It takes you right into the heart of the city and connects with the monorail and taxi services. Nice views along the way too. Try it, you'll like it :)

January 4th, 2006, 04:53
Whilst the Rail Link is superb and only costs around 35 ringitt local money, and takes you smack in the middle of KL or which ever part of KL you want to go to, you will proably have to change stations in certain circumstances, you will need to get a taxi to your relevant hotel which is a bit of pain considering you have to alight at the station and then get a taxi, however, they are reasonably priced - should be no more than another 15 Ringitt and probably much less.

However, most large major hotels probably provide courtesy buses to and from the hotel along with airport buses to the hotels which I'm sure are around the same price.

Alternatively, a taxi known as a limo in KL will set you around 90 odd Ringitt, (US dollars around 25) to the centre of KL from the airport and takes around 1 hour or less

January 4th, 2006, 04:59
Apart from the tourist attractions which people have outlined above, Malaysia, KL specifically is a fairly modern liberal city and whilst Islam is the majority religion, you have to also remember 30 or 40% of Malaysia is Chinese, Indian and other minority nationalities, therefore, islam is not t he only religion. Hence, that is probably why it is so liberal, well compared to the Middle East I mean.

The scene is not well documented in some books but KL can be a real fun place to visit from a gay perspective. A lot of places are mixed, but there are totally gay clubs which are brilliant. And I know you are going with your bf, but if you were alone, you would have some fun. Like any country there is "rent" there, but you will find it very hard to find believe me. Malaysians are quite well-off in comparative terms and some are very well off.

For a white guy Malaysia can be a fun place as can Singapore, but you have to play by the rules and be discrete. That's not too much to ask though is it!

January 4th, 2006, 05:02
... is expensive in Malaysia, relatively anyway, a beer (1/2 pint) can cost around 5 or 6 US dollars. As can entrances to clubs on occasions.

January 4th, 2006, 05:41
Yes, I agree with the comments about the airport rail link.
It must have been open for a couple of years at least, since I have used it in both directions, and have not been to KL recently.
Not cheap-cheap, but frequent and quick and comfortable, and cheaper then taxis by far, to my knowledge.
At the city terminal (KLCC?) I found a taxi service which took me to my hotel very easily.

A well-located hotel, Malaysia Hotel BKK standard, well-priced, used to be KL Lodge Hotel.
Assume it is still there.

January 4th, 2006, 08:59
Thanks for the info about the rail link. I will certainly use this route when I travel to KLIA from the city as it's much more convenient to just pick up a cab to the railway stattion than book a minibus pickup - I'm always nervous that they won't turn up, so end up booking one for way too early just in case. From KLIA to the city I might still get the bus - depends where my hotel turns out to be in relation to the main train station. I certainly don't want to have to change trains and get a taxi. If I were travelling alone, I would probably go by train to the nearest train station to my hotel and then walk. But my BF is going with me and he doesn't do walking!

Just in case Wowpow's looking, KLIA = Kuala Lumpur International Airport, BF = Bloody F .. er sorry, Boy Friend