PDA

View Full Version : How quiet is Pattaya?

September 21st, 2008, 18:47
I made a flying visit to Pattaya this week and just had a few hours in town. Perhaps it wasn't long enough to comment but things did seem quieter than ever before. EVER! I can clearly remember how quiet it was on my second visit, way back in September '98, and even that was busier than how it is now.Remember 1998? Yes, that was one year after the devaluation of the baht back in 1997. Another economic crisis ago. Maybe the worst is yet to come. Like other contributors to this Forum, Stickman's mailbag has a contribution from one person who remarked on "no queues in Immigration at" Suvarnabombsite. A friend coming for a visit at Xmas says he got a very decent discount from his usual (Western-run) watering hole in Bangkok (don't expect the same from the Thais - they'll keep the rack rate and empty rooms, thanks all the same)

September 21st, 2008, 19:26
I remember my very first trips to Bkk and Pattaya and how much i hated the crowds (1994). Have`nt had that problem for quite some time now.

Mi Cow Chai-old
September 21st, 2008, 19:46
I am just back from two weeks in Pattaya. It is bad. Bars and resturants are really hurting. Everyone you talk to says "no customer"

September 21st, 2008, 19:58
I am just back from two weeks in Pattaya. It is bad. Bars and resturants are really hurting. Everyone you talk to says "no customer"

It was then the middle of August early September, that is low season, no wonder!

thrillbill
September 21st, 2008, 20:23
For the last 3 weeks, I have noticed that the lobby area of the Dusit Hotel is more empty than usual and very, very few "farangs". Panarama Bar in Boystown was empty on a Friday night a couple weeks ago... don't know if it had to do with the drop of tourism or gays find other things to do. Though it is the slow season, there should be an increase of visitors by now.

I visited Bangkok over the weekend and was surprised how packed DJ's and GOD was with not only the usual cliental but also visiting farangs, so at least the gay bars and dance clubs in BKK are still going strong. :cheers:

September 21st, 2008, 21:33
I remember my very first trips to Bkk and Pattaya and how much i hated the crowds (1994). Have`nt had that problem for quite some time now.

Have you considered the possibility that there may be a connection?

LOL

Just kidding!

TrongpaiExpat
September 21st, 2008, 22:04
I visited Bangkok over the weekend and was surprised how packed DJ's and GOD was with not only the usual cliental but also visiting farangs, so at least the gay bars and dance clubs in BKK are still going strong. :cheers:

Yes, Sat night at the Balcony at 10pm I had to wait for a table to open up, every seat filled. Telephone just as busy.

Could it be that Pattaya as just lost it's luster?

September 21st, 2008, 23:48
Dudes in Pattaya packed and lots of coyote boys. Hard to imagine it busier.

September 22nd, 2008, 01:57
As an expat not dependant on the tourists cash I am quite happy to see less of them. They only take up space in the bars and encourage the boys to ask for more money. Thailand was much better back in the early 80's when Thais owned the GoGo bars and the prices were not so inflated as they are in BoyzTown and BKK

September 22nd, 2008, 08:14
... someone pointed out Dudes, and personally think that is way things are going, not so much "in yer face", but still relatively easy to pick someone up. BT still a fab place but even in high season a lot of places with just a few customers in, apart from the Boyz Boyz Boyz - customers come to see the shows, I don't see guys being offed that often, I'm sure it happened, but I aint seen it. Similarly, with the "new" joint across the road, once again, geared towards the shows. People want something new, with sex thrown in but less of "in yer face".

lonelywombat
September 22nd, 2008, 08:45
... someone pointed out Dudes, and personally think that is way things are going, not so much "in yer face", but still relatively easy to pick someone up. BT still a fab place but even in high season a lot of places with just a few customers in, apart from the Boyz Boyz Boyz - customers come to see the shows, I don't see guys being offed that often, I'm sure it happened, but I aint seen it. Similarly, with the "new" joint across the road, once again, geared towards the shows. People want something new, with sex thrown in but less of "in yer face".

Dudes has about 15 go go boys who are all on the stage together for 30 minutes and then a break for 30. They do 5 shows a night the last at around 5am. Off fee for a dancer is 500 baht same as for Pattayaland. The boys are much more handsome and almost ladyboyfree. I believe they get better salary than the early evening gay venues
The ladyboy show at 02.30 is much better than the WWB show but they are as like as chalk and cheese
Very little dancing more lip synch but young and gorgeous. I never use that expression for any of the BBB type divas.

September 22nd, 2008, 08:59
Dudes has about 15 go go boysThat does sound enticing! I now see what catawampuscat means when he says the Bangkok bar that most closely resembles a Pattaya bar is Solid

September 22nd, 2008, 09:01
Pattaya is quiet, all right. Nothing is stirring, not even an underage boy prostitute.

September 22nd, 2008, 09:07
Pattaya is quiet, all right. Nothing is stirring, not even an underage boy prostitute.

And the Irish are back home

September 22nd, 2008, 09:09
Pattaya is quiet, all right. Nothing is stirring, not even an underage boy prostitute.Isn't it generally agreed now that you are the expert on that, Chao Na?

September 22nd, 2008, 09:11
I am an expert on everything, as you should know by now.

September 22nd, 2008, 09:13

You might get the tingtongs stirring :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

September 22nd, 2008, 09:15

You might get the tingtongs stirring :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

You've caught me out.

lonelywombat
September 22nd, 2008, 09:46
Dudes has about 15 go go boysThat does sound enticing! I now see what catawampuscat means when he says the Bangkok bar that most closely resembles a Pattaya bar is Solid

Dudes is a nightclub there is very little seating There is much more room than at DJ Station, when Dudes back section is open there are 100 tables. The go go boys are more like showboys and they have more talent than the early evening venues.

It opens just before 1AM when you have already had your hot milk and put on your pink pajamas

Most people buy the large bottles of Johnny Walker with Ice, 4 coke and 4 soda total 700 baht. The dancers are often invited down to drink with the groups at a table.

Patexpat
September 22nd, 2008, 10:02
keeping the thread on track .... I have a Thai friend who is shall we say, with above average looks and a gym body to die for. In the past he has had no problem finding willing falang tourists to entertain and is always out with some one or other. Much to my surprise he was onstage as a gogo boy at a well known bar in Boystown. Looking very sheepish and some what embarassed he wai'd, shrugged his shoulder and said 'recession'.

To me thats a pretty good indication of how quiet it is at the moment!

Having said that the bars that I visited on Saturday night were the busiest I had seen them for some time, so may be there is a little light at the end ofthe tunnel for Pattaya business owners.

September 22nd, 2008, 10:11
It opens just before 1AM when you have already had your hot milk and put on your pink pajamasThere is no need to share your sleepover-with-the-Colonel secrets. Besides, those pink jim-jams don't exist - I sleep in the all-together. Perhaps you need those eyes tested after all :idea:

thrillbill
September 22nd, 2008, 17:43
[quote="Patexpat"]keeping the thread on track .... I have a Thai friend who is shall we say, with above average looks and a gym body to die for. In the past he has had no problem finding willing falang tourists to entertain and is always out with some one or other. Much to my surprise he was onstage as a gogo boy at a well known bar in Boystown. Looking very sheepish and some what embarassed he wai'd, shrugged his shoulder and said 'recession'.

To me thats a pretty good indication of how quiet it is at the moment!

Having said that the bars that I visited on Saturday night were the busiest I had seen them for some time, so may be there is a little light at the end ofthe tunnel for Pattaya business owners.[/quote
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
No one has mentioned the new Xray which is also packed on Friday and Saturday nite. It seems to draw a lot of young folks (including a few faghags with their buddies) from BKK and Chonburri. The place gets packed by 3am since the Friday and Saturday nite show has a "touch" of soi Twilight in BKK. The dancers are also fun to look at. I still prefer to go up to DJ's in BKK because they enforce the nonsmoking rule, whereas Dudes and Xray doesn't. (Plus BKK DJ's has a good mix and cross section of gays like any big city would around the world. With Pattaya, this isn't the case--it's more limited.

September 22nd, 2008, 23:44
As an expat not dependant on the tourists cash I am quite happy to see less of them. They only take up space in the bars and encourage the boys to ask for more money. Thailand was much better back in the early 80's when Thais owned the GoGo bars and the prices were not so inflated as they are in BoyzTown and BKK

So why are you posting from the UK sir? same address as others that are banned from here.

84.68.***.*** = [ user-5444cfff.lns1-c11.dsl.pol.co.uk ]

inetnum: 84.64.0.0 - 84.71.255.255
netname: EU-EN-20040315
org: ORG-CaWT1-RIPE
descr: Cable & Wireless Telecommunication Services

September 23rd, 2008, 01:28
PROXY U PRAT try google conceal my IP paddy

September 23rd, 2008, 01:32

you been using the same "proxy" for a long time including when you where banned from tingtongs. proxies arent infalliable.

we know exactly who you are. freeserve/wanadoo

newcastle/IOM/London hmmmm -wonder which one?

September 23rd, 2008, 03:46
Pattaya is quiet, all right. Nothing is stirring, not even an underage boy prostitute.Isn't it generally agreed now that you are the expert on that, Chao Na?

It's a close call on who is the most expert on that subject - it's between Chao Na and the Cat's Arse

:cheers:

September 23rd, 2008, 03:52
You can take your B/S out of the bar but you cant take the bar out of your B/S....ask your friends LOL

September 23rd, 2008, 06:12

you been using the same "proxy" for a long time including when you where banned from tingtongs. proxies arent infalliable.

Well its not London that's only for pakies and paddys and other trash

September 23rd, 2008, 07:36

welshrarebit , it's simply a cheese sauce on toast. :flower:

thaiguest
September 23rd, 2008, 07:49

And the Irish are back home
Yes i agree that the 80's bars were better when run by Thais as in Saphan Kwai now, eg. 'charming bar'.

Yes! the irish are back home- at home all over the world, all born, (as per Spike Milligan) with built-in bullshit detectors- ibso est; you don't stand a chance.

September 23rd, 2008, 07:59

Not sauce sweetie just cheese a bit like pizza without the shit

September 23rd, 2008, 09:06

Not sauce sweetie just cheese a bit like pizza without the shit

Once, in my innocent youth, I found this delicacy in the store and misread it as "Welshrabbit".

I thought I was in for a real treat for dinner that night so imagine my surprise and disappointment when I finally opened the package to cook it! :albino:

Edit: Kind of how I feel when I open Welshrarebit's posts. :geek:

bao-bao
September 23rd, 2008, 10:43

That answers most questions regarding the quality of his posts... :cheers:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z56/khunbaobao/000CheezWhiz.jpg